5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Set!!
Published on May 6 2005 by Justin

Published 21 months ago by Duchess

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Set!!, May 6 2005
This review is from: Murder, She Wrote: The Complete First Season (DVD)
I have always enjoyed "Murder She Wrote" and I extremly happy to own it on DVD. THe quality of the picture, could be better, but keeping in mind the shows age, it looks fine. The outside case is really neat, but the DVDs did not contain ANY special feature ( interviews, commentarys etc). I think the average consumer would have liked to see this on the disc. Universal should invest more money into their DVDs.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fine mystery series, thanks to solid plots, the pleasure of recognition and, above all else, Angela Lansbury, Nov. 24 2006
C. O. DeRiemer (San Antonio, Texas, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Murder, She Wrote: The Complete First Season (DVD)
Murder, She Wrote might be a set of comfortable cozies designed for the BarcaLounger crowd, but count me in. It also is a classy murder mystery series which, over 12 seasons with usually 22 one-hour shows per season, maintained a high level of consistency and viewer loyalty.

I think there are three reasons for this. First, the mysteries are solid. The writers mostly play fair with the audience. There are clues to be had if we're alert (although sometimes the clue may be so insignificant that expecting it to be noticed is optimistic). The mysteries often involve relationships among people with whom we're given the time to get to know. There seldom are out-and-out rotters. It's not always possible to spot the villain early, and when justice is done, thanks to Jessica Fletcher (Angela Lansbury), the conclusion is satisfying.

Second, Murder, She Wrote was shrewd in using the "So that's what happened to him (or her)" ploy in most of the programs. It can be immensely satisfying to a target audience of a certain age to come across once well known actors you haven't seen in quite a while. Lansbury and her producers almost always had strong character parts written for former marque names who still commanded affection and fans. In the Season 1 set, for instance, you'll encounter, among others, Howard Duff, Virginia Mayo, Martin Landau, Dan O'Herlihy, June Allyson, Van Johnson, Dane Clark, Jose Ferrer, Milton Berle, Stewart Granger, Eddie Bracken and Samantha Egger. These aren't stunt roles. The actors carry their weight. Angela Lansbury has always been a supremely confident and successful actor. She seems to thrive in having strong actors to play off of.

Third, and most importantly, is Angela Lansbury. Over the years her appeal and her successes in movies, on Broadway and on television have been extraordinary. She seems able to play anything with complete aplomb. Did a dance hall girl ever have a more suspicious mind or do a more generous act than Em in The Harvey Girls? Did a housemaid ever seem more sluttish than Nancy in Gaslight? Did a grandmother ever seem...odder...than Grannie in The Company of Wolves? Did a mother ever seem more like an ice-cold demon from hell than Mrs. Iselin in The Manchurian Candidate? Years ago I saw her on Broadway in Sweeney Todd as the deranged Mrs. Lovett. Whenever she was on stage she simply dominated the audience. The role of Jessica Fletcher, mystery writer and resident of Cabot Cove, is one she could have played with her eyes shut. It's to her credit as an actor that she didn't. She turned Fletcher into an immensely likable character, smart, experienced, shrewd and, above all else, sympathetic. The fact that we like Jessica Fletcher is due to Lansbury and is the reason the series lasted for 12 seasons.

The Season 1 set consists of three DVD's with the 21 programs on both sides of the discs. There are no extras. The quality of the video and audio transfers is just fine. The first four seasons are out on DVD with the other seasons to follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Wonderful, Sept. 6 2009
Alicia Klatte (British Columbia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Murder, She Wrote: The Complete First Season (DVD)
I remember watching "Murder, She Wrote" with my Dad when I was younger, while it was still on TV. I think it is wonderful that all the seasons are now available on DVD (as are countless other shows). The first season did not dissapoint! It is interesting seeing Jessica Fletcher's character from the very beginning, especially in the Pilot episode. If you watch later seasons it is very noticable how different her chacter had evolved and changed in the years following the first episode. I have grown up watching the later seasons, so watching the first season helped explain how she became a mystery writer and helped set the scene for the future episodes. I highly recommend watching all the seasons and look forward to buying Season Two!

5.0 out of 5 stars A gift that was very well received, March 6 2014
This review is from: Murder, She Wrote: The Complete First Season (DVD)
This arrived promptly in the mail and was given as a birthday gift to my brother. He loved it and I will be back to purchase further seasons of the series "Murder, She Wrote". I would certainly recommend this to anyone looking to purchase such a classic series at a reasonable price. Hours of enjoyment in one small package.

5.0 out of 5 stars DVD Set, Jan. 30 2014
This review is from: Murder, She Wrote: The Complete First Season (DVD)
I bought this dvd because I collect all the seasons. I would tell anybody who likes mysteries to buy these.

5.0 out of 5 stars BUY THE BOXED SET, Nov. 21 2013
CRYSTALLINE "CRYSTALLINE" (CANADA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Murder, She Wrote: The Complete First Season (DVD)
Excellent but it is cheaper to buy the boxed set. Also seasons 1-3 is better quality in the boxed set.

5.0 out of 5 stars Functional and Quickly Delivered, Dec 20 2012
This review is from: Murder, She Wrote: The Complete First Season (DVD)
I can't really speak for the quality of the content - this was a gift. That said, it was well received, I tested it on arrival and it worked and still does as far as I know. The product was a good price and quickly delivered.

5.0 out of 5 stars Murder she wrote the first season, March 22 2012
This review is from: Murder, She Wrote: The Complete First Season (DVD)
I love murder she wrote use to watch this show when I was a kid with my mom every Sunday. I was debating on buying this series for a while now and when I saw the first 6 seasons where only $15 a season it was a insta-buy.

1.0 out of 5 stars 1 star for terrible prices! 5 Stars for the enjoyment of the stories., Nov. 18 2012
Duchess "Duchess" (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Murder, She Wrote: The Complete First Season (DVD)
I was considering on buying the season 1 through 12 of this series PLUS the 4 Movies Set of Murder She Wrote, as I always enjoyed these mysteries regardless of the fact that I've seen every one of them I don't know how many times. What I find REALLY IRRITATING though, is the fact that even when we're AT PAR with the US dollar, why do we have to pay so bloody much????? I tried to find out what it would cost to buy all the series and this is what I found out:

1) (at amazon.com) I would have to pay @ $353 CAD in total on the expedited which has a tracking number; or @ 366 CAD using their priority post. (This of course depends on the dollar being at $1.00 or better) -- I don't use the standard US post as there is no tracking number for that.
2) If I bought it thorough amazon.ca using the "free shipping" it would come to $414 CAD
3) If I were to buy all the seasons through amazon.ca but NOT USE the "free shipping and handling" advantage, I would have to pay about $330 plus about $45 dollars in shipping and handling + GST, if I were to buy it from Import CD's. By the time all the GST etc this order comes to about $387 CAD (Here as well, you don't have a tracking number)
4) If I were to buy all these series through the Import CD's website, (and the dollar is basically at par still), I would have to pay about $302 CAD. At this website I believe they give you a tracking number.

As you can see, there is quite a difference in prices if you want to buy them, what I don't understand is WHY we Canadians have to pay SO MUCH FOR THESE THINGS when they probably get these from the same manufacturers as what amazon.com does or what Import CD's does. Until Amazon.ca charges a more reasonable price for this series (and other series like Father Dowling and Matlock), I won't be buying it any time soon. Also, from our "feedback" about issues like this, why is Amazon.ca NOT taking into consideration our concerns or complaints and at least meet the prices that Amazon.com or Import CD's offers???? Maybe it's just greed for most corporations these days, who knows anymore........

Murder, She Wrote: The Complete First Season
Murder, She Wrote: The Complete First Season by John Llewellyn Moxey (DVD - 2005)
CDN$ 36.99 CDN$ 13.49