5.0 out of 5 stars The love story of Johnny Cash and June Carter, Jan. 16 2006
Amazon Customer (The Zenith City, Duluth, Minnesota) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
"Hey my darlin' hey my sweet

I've waited on the day that I knew we would meet.

Hey my sun, hey my moon

Today's the day that

Johnny met June."

I know that Shelby Lynne wrote "Johnny met June" after the death of Johnny Cash, four months after the passing of June Carter Cash, but it was impossible for me not to think of that song while watching "I Walk the Line," even before I realized that Lynne was playing Cash's mother Carrie. That is because it is clear from the start of this 2005 bio-pic that this is the love story of Johnny (Joaquin Phoenix) and June (Reese Witherspoon). In the last act of the film my wife expressed surprise that the couple were not married yet and I told her that this film was going to be over as soon as she finally said "yes." I was close on that score, because the film includes an important grace note and fade out that says it all. But even if you knew nothing about their legendary love it would be clear from the opening scenes of this movie when a young J.R. Cash and his brother Jack are listening to young June Carter singing on the radio.

What I liked about "Walk the Line" was that even knowing the key threads of the story, all of which are cinematic commonplaces, the screenplay by writer Gill Dennis and director James Mangold delivers memorable scenes. One thread is how Cash became the Man in Black, and when he blows his audition in front of Sam Phillips (Dallas Roberts), the legendary head of Sun Records in Memphis gives him a slim second chance with a dead on speech as to how Cash needs to be singing songs. Cash happens to have been inspired by a film about a prison in California to write a song, and he starts to sing it and changes before our eyes and ears. Cash and his father, Ray (Robert Patrick), have been at odds since a childhood tragedy and we wait for the moment when the son will finally tell the father off. But when it comes Cash is still living in a glass house and the tables do not get turned.

"Walk the Line" saves the best for last. The famous concert at Folsom Prison is the first of two significant payoffs, as it represents Cash finally embodying his songs and not simply singing them. The connection between Cash and his audience changed then and he finally became a man. But that was not enough for June who has been refusing all of his proposals. When his family could do nothing to save Cash from his drug addiction, it is June and her family who step in, however she makes it clear that she will sing with him but she will not marry him. Now, most of us remember the lady as June Carter Cash, so we know that she is going to say yes. What is important is that it clearly will take something special for her to consent, and this film comes up with a moment worthy of their relationship and out anticipation.

Phoenix and Witherspoon do their own singing and what is key is not that they imitate Johnny and June but that they capture their hearts, which is a good thing in a romance, even when it also happens to be a bio-pic. During the final credits we finally hear the real Johnny and June singing as they take their curtain call. But when their voices fade away and we return to the plaintive guitar pickin' of T-Bone Burnett our thoughts return to Lynne's lovely elegy:

"Now were starting over it's the place that we are

You look more than pretty underneath all the stars

Love, love is a burning thing

Oh how I still love to hear you sing

And everything we ever heard about heaven is true

Today's the day that Johnny met June

Today's the day that Johnny met June."

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a story about redemption, July 1 2006
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I have always enjoyed both Johnny and June. However, I was not too interested in their lives. In addition, I have to admit that this film was a bit depressing at first. It reminded me too much of Steinbeck. I started to question my purchase when before I could finish the thought, I was sucked into their life and this movie. This adds a new perspective on the classic songs. We see that they were just people and subject to personalities and environments as we, all are.

You will find these songs going through your head days after viewing this movie. Note at the ending credits the real thing as the real duo sings "Long Legged Guitar Pickin' Man"

4.0 out of 5 stars THE GREAT JOHNNY CASH, Feb. 28 2006
peter stark (TORONTO,ONTARIO,CANADA) - See all my reviews
IT WAS GREAT.MY ONLY REASON FOR NOT GIVING IT A 5 STAR..
THE MOVIE ONLY WENT UP TO WHEN THEY GOT MARRIED.
JOHNNY TO ME, IS BEST REMEMBERED FOR WHAT HE DID AFTER HE MARRIED JUNE.
ALL THOSE YEAR,WHICH WERE WHEN HE WAS AT HIS BEST,ARE NOT INCLUDED,SO THE CURRENT GENERATION DOES NOT SEE THE GOOD THAT HE DID FOR ALMOST 30 PLUS YEAR.....

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, April 5 2013
This review is from: The Line (DVD)
I bought this as a gift for my husband. If you are a Johnny Cash fan. Then this is the dvd for you. I watched it with him and learned more about the man in black

4.0 out of 5 stars vey well done, Nov. 21 2010
I really enjoted this movie. I was surpised that they didn't mention the death of Luther Perkins (Johnny's origional guitar player).

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best movies ever, March 27 2006
This is a great movie, bar none.
Everyone has to see this movie.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, Nov. 30 2014
my sister loved this money so I bought it for her

5.0 out of 5 stars Walk the Line, Dec 6 2014
Great movie with Reese and Joaquin.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, Sept. 20 2014
Watched 2x so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars More Cash, Jan. 10 2012
Neurosky "neurosky" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: NEW Walk The Line (DVD) (DVD)
One of my favourite films. I was never a Cash fan but I fell in love with the characters, the performances, the story and before too long I found myself addicted to Cash's own music. Whether you're a Cash fan or not you should enjoy this film. It's a dramatic, witty, deep and very emotional film that should endure for many years to come!

ADDED FOOTAGE: Of course the extra time slows the film down a little but I loved every bit of added footage because it all added something to the film and actually feels like it belongs here. Watching the Extended Cut was like being reintroduced to a film that I already loved, for now it has even more depth.

SPECIAL FEATURES: Famous musicians and relatives of Cash and Carter talk lovingly about different aspects and chapters of Cash's life and his relationship with June Carter. There is real substance in what they have to say and the story told is so powerful that it should bring a tear to your eye. My only complaint is that there wasn't more on the actual making of the film. Still, the bonus features are so excellent that I feel I shouldn't complain. Just the inclusion of the extended musical performances is enough to make anyone smile.

NEW Walk The Line (DVD)