summer boutiques-francophones vpcflyout Furniture All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools

on January 7, 2016
love movie! it is a dvd you must have to include your xmas collection or dvds. jim carrey in this story will have and keep your attention, as well having you rolling on the floor. so happy bought this dvd as well as others, including xmas carol!
on December 11, 2014
Now I don't particularly like Jim Carrey, but in this movie I'll make an exception. As far as I'm concerned this is the best adaptation of the Grinch that you're going to find. I've been watching it around this time every year since I first saw it, what?, 10-12 years ago.
It's become a traditional favorite of mine. I'm sure you'll enjoy it too.
on February 27, 2012
The Grinch's answering machine message: "If you utter so much as one syllable I'LL HUNT YOU DOWN AND GUT YOU LIKE A FISH!... If you'd like to fax me, hit the star key."

Just one of the many hilarious lines from this movie. The direction, artistry, costumes, make-up, acting, and comedy are all top-notch. I'd have to say this is the best cinematic interpretation of a Seuss story available. There are burping jokes for the kids (and us immature adults) and risqué jokes for the adults (they'll fly over any kid's head).

Definitely recommended for all ages! Don't miss out!
on January 4, 2013
This is by far the best of the modern holiday movies. Instant classic, I feel the same way watching it now as I did when I was young. Funny, heartfelt, and warming. Make it part of your holiday routine!
on December 23, 2014
I would've given it 5 stars - read all the wonderful comments - my kids and I have enjoyed this since they were toddlers....My only issue is that ABC airs a TV version every year that has additional scenes that are not on the DVD - they're not in deleted scenes or outtakes....they just aren't available at all. So the only way to watch the full movie edition with those scenes as well is to watch it on TV. I don't know if those scenes were included in the theatre version - seems like they obviously should've been included with a DVD purchase. Go figure. Otherwise, great movie.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon November 18, 2014
This movie for some reason has gone under attack and been considered less than stellar. I don't aprticularly agree with that, but again that's the beauty of opinions! Some may hate what happened here, maybe due to some overly specific loyalty to the original cartoon, or simply it was unappealing. I however LOVE this movie, it's a christmas classic that stands side to side with it's cartoon parent. The comedy brought to this movie by Jim Carrey is wonderful, between his day-planner scene, prepping for the christmas awards ceremony, or sniffing potpouri trash, this movie is wonderful. In my opinion this should be a Christmas classic with everything else (maybe not yet at the level of Rudolph or the Christmas Story, but few are at that level of tradition).
on January 13, 2013
I love the movie, but the version I received (Collector's Edition, Widescreen Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas (Widescreen)) is faulty. There are 2 spots in the movie (one near the beginning where Cindy Lou is singing and another nearer the end where the Grinch is singing) with a bunch of small skipped audio. I exchanged it via Amazon and the replacement copy I received had the same issue in the exact same spots. So my theory is that the whole batch may be defective. So, I recommend the movie, but choose a different version...not this one.
on May 5, 2004
That was Jim Carrey in that costume? I don't think anyone could have pulled it off better, but for me, Taylor Momsen, who played Cindy Loo Who, was the most enjoyable to watch. What a gifted little actress. Christine Baranski and Molly Shannon, both musically-inclined favorites of mine, also danced across the screen.
So this isn't exactly the same storyline as the one penned by the good doctor himself. But it is very close, with some details added in to give adults a few more chuckles.
And if you like it for nothing else, you will love the fantasy world created by some outstanding set and costume design; terrific old and new music; and vivid special effects.
Worth a viewing or two for all of you Who's.
HALL OF FAMEon December 10, 2006
Many kids

Enjoy Christmas

They like it a lot

And this film

Is about the Grinch

Who did not

The film gives the background, and fills in some blanks

The Grinch as a child was subjected to pranks

He fancied a Who, with the name Martha May

He tried to impress her and to his dismay

They laughed at his efforts, his gift and his face

So he destroyed the classroom and fled from that place

Then,

He moved to Mount Crumpet

And made him a home

While the green hairy creature seethed under the dome

Until one cold day at the town Christmas party

When young Cindy Lou showed him how to be hearty

Then Mayor May-Who went and spoiled all the fun

By taunting the Grinch 'til he came all undone

He went up his mountain, and he started scheming

And when he was through he was smiling and beaming

He'd ruin their Christmas; he knew what to do

Revenge is the sweetest when it's overdue

If you've read the story you know how it ends

How the Grinch stole that Christmas from his former friends

So what happened next?

I won't give it away

This Christmas this movie will show every day

So if you're a Grinch you can run, but not hide

As you try to stifle the feeling inside

Just gather the kids for a clean yuletide treat

Merry Christmas to all!

(Now this poem's complete)

Amanda Richards
on January 29, 2003
Before even seeing it, I knew this live-action remake of the Dr. Seuss classic wouldn't hold a candle to the animated version, but I still found it to be a dull movie. The visuals are fantastic; Who-ville is peppered with enough quirky production design to make even Tim Burton blush. But the buck stops there, folks. The script is nothing more than a shoddy extension of the original story, and it completely fails. There's no heart to this new story at all. And what's with the toilet humor? I'm a silly person who laughs at the dumbest things imaginable, but I know when to laugh and when not to laugh. How could I find this movie funny? It ruined a beloved childhood character of mine. Since when does the Grinch eat glass? Since when is he so rude to Cindy Lou Who? Even at the end of the film, the Grinch is still a cranky son of a gun. Don't buy this for the kids. Instead, opt for the original animated classic, which is being sold for a bargain price. They'll remember that for the rest of their lives, but this movie will soon be long forgotten.
P.S. - Jim Carrey was a little too Carrey-esque for the role of the green guy, but he wasn't terrible. I think a better choice would have been Tim Curry.