Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Cyber Monday Deals Week in Home & Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Countdown to Cyber Monday in Lawn & Garden

Showing 1-10 of 24 reviews(1 star).Show all reviews
on December 11, 2001
I know all the reviews are saying that this movie is a great horror movie....but it is AWFUL, and me calling it awful is being nice. I love horror movies and i wanted to find a good horror movie to get. So i saw these reviews and figured that this movie must be great, but i was dreadfully wrong. PLEASE do not get this movie, or atleast rent it first to see how bad it is.
I bought it and i was excited to watch it, but i literally ended up fast-fowarding through so many parts....and NOT because it was sooo scary. I cant even get everything i want to say about this movie out because i dont have enough room to write it. Basically, everything that anyone looks for in a movie is horrible in Suspiria....EVERYTHING.
I watch every movie i buy, rent, or see thinking that the movie is gonna be good. And i wont call a movie bad unless it is really bad....i mean i even thought "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of The Ooze" was good. And if i thought that was good, just try and imagine how bad this movie really is. BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD movie. I want to write more about how bad this movie is, but it is like i am speechless. I have never seen such garbage.
on October 26, 2001
In 1977's SUSPIRIA, cute actress Jessica Harper--introduced to horror fans three years earlier in Brian De Palma's wonderful PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE--stars as an American ballet student studying abroad at a German dance academy. Soon after her arrival at the school, she learns that a covert evil is in operation just beyond the facade of reality. Beyond that, it is nearly impossible to follow any sort of coherent story line in Italian director Dario Argento's purported and much-hyped "masterpiece."
In spite of all the hoopla, this movie is really little more than a series of cheap thrills tenuously tied together with a thin plot. And even by the standards of the decade in which SUSPIRIA was filmed, the cheap thrills don't measure up: the stage blood LOOKS like stage blood, a bat that appears in one scene could easily pass for a prop from TV's THE MUNSTERS, and many other effects are hardly more frightening than department-store window decorations at Halloween. The only death scene that truly evokes any sense of realism is one that takes place near the beginning of the film, and even then, suspension of disbelief is spoiled by the use of the aforementioned bargain-basement stage blood.
It is difficult to intelligently comment on the acting in the film. The dialogue is too incomprehensible and the plot too flimsy, and outside of the cues for excessive emoting whenever a scene involves death and blood, there is little in the script for the actors to work with. Even able thespians such as Ms. Harper and Joan Bennett (from TV's DARK SHADOWS) don't seem to do much more than deliver their lines by rote.
The one worthy element of the film is the musical score, performed by Argento's rock group Goblin. At times ethereal and moody, while at other times harsh and grating, the music does evoke a real sense of unease and gothic ambiance. Certain passages are very reminiscent of Mike Oldfield's tubular bells music for THE EXORCIST, and that's definitely a good thing in a horror flick. Paired with a better movie, the score would most certainly be listed among the horror music greats.
If you're a fan of movies such as Sam Raimi's EVIL DEAD films for reasons OTHER than watching the delightfully charming and funny Bruce Campbell, you just might like SUSPIRIA. However, if you're looking for great chills and thrills in a literate film, you might want to seriously consider a different movie.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
With all due respect, if you think this is "one of the scariest movies ever made," you have not seen nearly enough scary movies. Suspiria is indeed frightening...frighteningly bad. Don't try to find any semblance of a cohesive plot...there is none. Rather, we get a series of badly acted scenes intended to spook us but which merely made me laugh out loud at the ineptitude on screen. Funniest of all, perhaps, was the obviously fake bat and fake dog, which were no doubt purchased at the toy store down the street.
A couple of violent scenes do interrupt what seems like hours of plodding, boring exposition. But these death scenes are so amateurish, so badly executed, that you'll laugh yourself silly watching them. Of course, if you like watching endless scenes of people dancing, this is the movie for you.
Actually, there is one good part of the film...the closing credits. Finally, this ... has come to an end!
on August 29, 2001
I have heard & read a lot of hype surrounding this movie. How it's supposed to be one of the most frightening movies of all time. A true classic. Dario Argento's masterpiece of terror! And so on, ad nauseum...
When I saw this film, I was completely disappointed. SUSPIRIA is a very stylish, yet incomprehensive film. I consider Argento's THE BIRD WITH THE CRYSTAL PLUMMAGE to be a lot better than this horror film. Other than some really bloody moments, SUSPIRIA suffers from too much style, an annoying soundtrack, & weak performances from everyone involved, especially the lead actress Jessica Harper. It's as if she's bored to death in this movie!
Argento should have done better, in my opinion. SUSPIRIA was a very stylish, colorful, slick, yet weak & overblown. All style, but very little substance.
on January 16, 1999
Dario Argento definately hit an all time low with this overlong excursion into the absurd and ludicrous. Jessica Harper is a ballet student from New York who is attending the German Dance Academy run by Joan Bennet and a Naziest dance instuctor. The story is convoluted and filled with holes and the music score is the most annoying in film history. The acting here is not even amaturish, it is just plain awful. On the box of the video, it states 'the only thing more terrifying than the last 5 minutes of this film are the first 90!', it should of stated, 'the only thing more ridiculous than the last 5 minutes of this film is the entire film itself. I cannot begin to trash this film enough, it is that bad. Stay away from this movie!!!
on October 22, 2001
Absolutely one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Read all the reviews about how great and scary the movie was and considered buying it based on them alone (but rented it first to make sure). Well, I am still kicking myself 2 days later for wasting 2 hours to watch it. Gory? Scary? How about embarassing and ridiculous. Acting was dreadful, plot was horrible, and I caught myself wanting to turn it off 30 minutes into it. One of the best horror movies? The horror is that I actually spent money to rent it. This movie does not even come close to horror classics such as The Exorcist or Halloween. Toss this one in the category bin of: outgoing garbage.
on April 24, 2003
Don't get me wrong, I am no prude. I like gore, macabre horror, and sinister plot lines. But, Suspiria was just too disturbing. It is for those who are unconcerned with plot and dialogue and just like graphic depictions of murder. I only got through the first 10-15 minutes then stopped the tape. I contemplated just throwing the tape out, but that would've been a grand waste. I will never watch the movie, and don't suggest anyone buying it unless on an impulse buy ... But, most people, I suspect, will be highly disappointed. Save your money for a better choice.
on February 28, 2003
I purchased this film based on the great reviews I've read over the years about it, I should have rented it and saved myself the money. This movie was horrible. If this movie was supposed to be like a dream, it was right on target because much like a dream, this film made no sense at all. To say it was boring would be a gross understatement. I'm a big fan of horror films, and I'm not to picky about quality or plot. Even by my standards, this isn't even worth watching. If you want to watch an Argento film, [...].
on August 16, 2001
Okay I was all hyped up to watch this as soon as i recieved it in the mail and boy was I let down hard. Did the people that reviewed this movie here watch the same one I did ? This movie was terrible from the start! Whats with that... annoying soundtrack? You can't even make out what the fools... are saying half the time! What style filming are the reviewer's talking about also? There is none. Possibly one of the worst horror movie's ever made.
on October 1, 2001
is an understatement! A boring plot line, tiresome special effects (which, by the way, DO NOT stand the test of time), and poor lighting throughout make this a movie I would line up to miss. The only redeeming scene is the fall through a stained glass window, which is the only death in this movie that is worth watching in this ... attempt at the horror genre.