5.0 out of 5 stars 61 in 61
In the pantheon of baseball movies, this one, 61*, is in my personal top five, and perhaps the top three. Billy Crystal, better known as a comedian or as host of the Academy Awards, took the director's chair for this film, and produced a story that was a grand insight into the personal and professional world of baseball during the era of Mantle and Maris. Produced very...
Published on Jan. 31 2006 by FrKurt Messick

2.0 out of 5 stars Billy, you blew it!
Published on Sept. 15 2001 by pwsdaddy

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 9 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply a great, great baseball movie, Oct. 23 2001
Andrew Ho (San Diego, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: 61* (Widescreen) (DVD)
A great, great baseball movie. Up there with Field of Dreams, except this one is based on a true story. Billy Crystal did a phenomenal job getting all the details down for this particular movie. I'm by no means a Yankee fan, but all of a sudden, I've become a fan of Maris and Mantle. Extra features on this movie are pretty cool too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intriging, Aug. 9 2003
C. M. Pingree "Muffin OF Steel!!!" (Kingfield, Maine) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: 61* (Widescreen) (DVD)
This film is a great documentary piece in a cinematic format. With great historical information of the ballplayers lives inside and outside of baseball. The passion of Billy Crystal is shown in this piece. It is more than a baseball or sports movie it is a piece of americana that can be shared and enjoyed by all.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, May 26 2003
By A Customer
Ce commentaire est de: 61 (VHS Tape)
Absolutely fantastic movie. My daughter and I loved it. Excellent performances by Thomas Jane and Barry Pepper. Their fans will not be disappointed. Billy Crystal did good on this one. Highly recommend. Their is quite a bit of cursing as far as the language goes, so I would not recommend for young children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, March 17 2002
Ce commentaire est de: 61* (Widescreen) (DVD)
I got the DVD for Christmas after seeing 61* on HBO. All I can say is wow. WONDERFUL performances by Pepper and Jane. If you love the Yankees, hate the Yankees, love baseball, hate baseball, you must see this awesome Billy Crystal movie. It'll leave you with a new perspective on the great race of '61.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even if you don't like baseball, you'll like this movie, June 7 2002
Ce commentaire est de: 61* (Widescreen) (DVD)
I loved this movie! The only reason I started the movie was because Barry Pepper is in it, and I loved his performance in Saving Private Ryan. Anyways, I ended up loving the whole movie, not just Barry Pepper. Everyone in the movie played their part well, and it was very endearing.

5.0 out of 5 stars an amazing movie, Sept. 26 2001
Ce commentaire est de: 61* (Widescreen) (DVD)
this movie has to be one of the best movies i've ever seen., my family loves baseball so i have grown up watching every baseball movie imaginable. and i can honestly say this is one of the very best whether you are a baseball fan or not, this movie will become a fast favorite.

5.0 out of 5 stars DVD hits a home run, Oct. 26 2001
Ce commentaire est de: 61* (Widescreen) (DVD)
1961 was truly a year to remember. This DVD gives puts the viewer in an incredible race to break a record nobody wanted broken. Barry Pepper does a phenomenal job as Roger Maris. The DVD extra with Billy Crystal is one of the best "extra" features I have ever seen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Baseball Delight!, Dec 29 2001
Hector Cruz (North Miami, Florida) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: 61 (VHS Tape)
Great baseball story. This is one of the best 3 baseball videos
on amazon with 2) When it Was a Game #3 and 3) Backyard Baseball Drills. The bond with Maris & Mantle was great. Richard Massur gives a suprisingly great supporting role as the reporter.

5.0 out of 5 stars A top 5 baseball movie ., Oct. 13 2001
s.Jeffery (Portsmouth, Hants. Great Britain) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: 61* (Widescreen) (DVD)
This film is a must for any true fan of Baseball. The way Yankee stadium has been recreated is truely fantastic. The way Billy Crystal has captured the roles of Micky Mantle & Roger Maris is superb. Please keep making movies like this Billy .

2.0 out of 5 stars Billy, you blew it!, Sept. 15 2001
Ce commentaire est de: 61* (Widescreen) (DVD)
I love baseball. I love baseball movies. (Kevin Costner occupies a space on the wall in my office). I love the romance of baseball that has been passed on to me from my father. He grew up in Queens in the 40's and 50's and pulled for the Dodgers. He passed that love on to me. I remember my first game - 1969, Mets vs. Reds, as much as I remember my wedding day. I try to pass on to my children the same romance my father passed on to me. When I picked up the DVD last night I was excited at the prospect of sharing it with my 13 year old son.
HBO film, no rating. If it was, unfortunately it would be an R. I know Mickey wasn't a saint, but in sharing a magic moment like 1961, was it really necessary to know that he used the F word more often than he hit homeruns? And why is Babe Ruth's wife painted as an early version of Roseanne?
I wanted so badly to share this one with my son, to be able to bond some more over something as great as the drama of 61. Unfortunately, Mr. Çhrystal and I have differing opinions over the amount of language necessary to portray a story. Billy - you blew it, and in doing so you lowered your movie from a classic to just another Hollywood has been.
Thanks.

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 9 | Next ›

61* (Widescreen)
61* (Widescreen) by Billy Crystal (DVD - 2001)
CDN$ 9.95