5.0 out of 5 stars 61 in 61
In the pantheon of baseball movies, this one, 61*, is in my personal top five, and perhaps the top three. Billy Crystal, better known as a comedian or as host of the Academy Awards, took the director's chair for this film, and produced a story that was a grand insight into the personal and professional world of baseball during the era of Mantle and Maris. Produced very...
Published on Jan. 31 2006 by FrKurt Messick

2.0 out of 5 stars Billy, you blew it!
I love baseball. I love baseball movies. (Kevin Costner occupies a space on the wall in my office). I love the romance of baseball that has been passed on to me from my father. He grew up in Queens in the 40's and 50's and pulled for the Dodgers. He passed that love on to me. I remember my first game - 1969, Mets vs. Reds, as much as I remember my wedding day. I try to...
Published on Sept. 15 2001 by pwsdaddy

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 9 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Flick, Sept. 13 2001
This review is from: 61 (VHS Tape)
A great story of the human drive to go out and do your best, regardless of what others do or say.
While Mantle was revered as a god, poor Maris must've felt like the guys drafted into the Army during Vietnam - thinking they're doing their patriotic duty, just to come home and get spit on as a result. I wasn't alive at the time so I can't comment on the accuracy of the film, but it's entertaining whether or not you are a baseball fan (and if you are I'm sure you'll want to add this DVD to your collection.)

4.0 out of 5 stars Very solid baseball movie.., Sept. 13 2001
"skipmccoy" (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 61* (Widescreen) (DVD)
I was a little surprised by this one. I had heard good things from Ebert and Roeper around the time of it's original broadcast, but my hopes weren't incredibly high. I am not the biggest baseball fan, in fact I really don't like baseball much at all. This makes it difficult for me to understand why I tend to enjoy baseball movies. EIGHT MEN OUT-that's a great baseball movie. But this really was a good little film. I was nervous about Billy Crystal's direction(and the film is a little over-scored ealry on, but get's better). It's just a really good story(if a sad one) and it makes for a great movie. Also has a commentary by BIlly Crystal which is pretty good, and a featurette. I have to reccomend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars 61* is simply the best baseball film of all time., Sept. 13 2001
"skywalkervt" (Youngstown, Ohio) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 61* (Widescreen) (DVD)
If you have been looking for the next great baseball film, then look no more. Supported by a flawless screenplay, incredible baseball action, capable direction, and incredible performances, 61* shows what can be done with a little passion, patience, and attention to detail.
The greatest theme in the film is that of the media, and how ignorant sports writers -- who have never played an inning in their lives -- could effect players' lives.
Dealing with subject matter all baseball fans are familiar with, it was essential to craft a character-driven story in order to successfully exploit the most dramatic elements. In 61*, we do not see Mickey Mantle as Superman, nor do we see Maris a shy slugger from Fargo; what we do see is two strong men confronting their fears in the face of immense stress from families, fans, owners, the media, and the ghost of Babe Ruth. And they do this as ONLY Yankees could do.

5.0 out of 5 stars For The Love of Baseball Greats and Their Love Of the Game, Sept. 11 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: 61* (Widescreen) (DVD)
This is difinitely a must see movie.It deals with the true nature of the game of baseball, the love of the game that these players had. They weren't in it for the money, they played because they love the game.It also shows that no matter what life puts in your path that you still go on, such as Maris did even when faced with the hate mail and the crank calls,like he said when Mantle told him to gorget about the hate mail. Maris's response was he couldn't because there good ones from the kids and he couldn't disappoint the kids,to him that was all it was about. And even Mantle who was battling with his health he still continued as did many great players. This film is an inspiration to all, about what we can acheive if we try. This film was very important in my house even more, because I have a son with special needs and he loves baseball and wants to play proffessionally someday, even with all that he has wrong, he somehow has found the abilitiy to throw a ball hard and fast enough that is hurts a grown mans hand when they catch it, and he hits a ball that just seems to fly. This movie meant alot to him, that no matter what he faces in life that his dream can come true. This movie has the ability to have people see what the game and the men Maris and Mantle stood for, its a movie for all to see and I hope they do, I watch it alot. It gives me the feeling that you are there with them and you feel every emotion , good or bad with them, and you walk away feeling something different and new everytime.Don't just take my word for it, see the movie and you will see the magic it has.

5.0 out of 5 stars 61*, Sept. 11 2001
Loretta A Garcia (Temecula, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 61* (Widescreen) (DVD)
These is an old fashion wholesome film. Depicting an american legend less heard of but, just as important as the Babe himself. My hat is off to Berry Pepper an outstanding job and to the rest of the cast as well. A very talented bunch of actors and actresses who left you with a warm feeling inside at the end of this film. Thank you Loretta Garcia

5.0 out of 5 stars No Doubt the Best Baseball Movie Ever Made, Sept. 10 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: 61* (Widescreen) (DVD)
61* was an awesome baseball movie. It is enjoyable for everyone, not just for baseball fans. I first saw this movie when it premiered on HBO. I watched it over and over. 61* is not just about a homerun race between Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris, but it's also about the problems they faced while trying to break the Babe's record. The movie is a drama and a comedy. It's even emotional in a way. I recommend this movie to anyone who wants to see a good baseball movie and also anyone who just wants to see a good movie and I gurantee you'll watch it over and over.

5.0 out of 5 stars an insightful look, Sept. 10 2001
"goertzjr" (Connecticut, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 61* (Widescreen) (DVD)
Billy Crystal has given us a movie that truly demonstrates a "love of the game," as well as for those who played it. His portrait of Mantle and Maris is both insightful and entertaining, and I would recommend making it a part of any video library. This one is a real keeper - I watched it 3 or 4 times the first day after I recorded it, and will purchase the DVD as soon as it's available.

5.0 out of 5 stars A New Baseball Classic Movie, Sept. 10 2001
Phillip Clay Wilkerson (Naples, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 61* (Widescreen) (DVD)
If you love baseball movies, this one is a must-have for your collection. Directed by Billy Crystal, a devoted NY Yankees fan and baseball fan, the movie depicts Roger Maris' run for Ruth's seasonal home-run record. But this is more than a sports story. It is a story about one man overcoming his personal struggles, breaking a legendary record, and dealing with MLB politics, Yankee fans, and press reporters who deemed Maris unworthy of praise for his accomplishments. This is a story of a heroic heart well told.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond Amazing!, Sept. 9 2001
Xatwal (Philadelphia, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 61* (Widescreen) (DVD)
I have always enjoyed Billy Crystal's movies, but his role in creating and directing this incredible movie is even more impressive. Barry Pepper and Thomas Jane ARE Maris and Mantle, down to the smallest mannerism and ideosyncrasy. Their performances will blow you away. Jennifer Foley is also outstanding as Maris' wife, Pat.
Baseball fan or not, you can't help but be spellbound by the compelling performances of Pepper and Jane. One last treat if your old enough to remember; hearing Bob Sheppard announcing the plate appearance of "The Mick" after all these years. It sent chills down my spine.

5.0 out of 5 stars One Of The Best Baseball Movies Ever!, Sept. 9 2001
John Spressler (Kearny, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 61* (Widescreen) (DVD)
61* is a classic and in my opinion one of the best baseball movies ever made. The casting was superb. Barry Pepper gives an unforgettble performance as the late Roger Maris, and Thomas Jane as "The Mick" is incredible. This movie is for all the fans who really love basball. Thanks Billy you did a great job! Only a true Yankees fan as yourself could've made this great movie.

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 9 | Next ›

61* (Widescreen)
61* (Widescreen) by Billy Crystal (DVD - 2001)
CDN$ 9.95