march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage vpcflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools Family

3.5 out of 5 stars2,462
Format: DVD|Change

on January 16, 2016
I ordered this movie because I can't find my copy - I have the whole set of Star Wars movies. My granddaughters wanted to watch the series before going to the movie theatre to see the new Star Wars movie. This movie was a great price and was delivered quickly. I am really happy with all the movies I have ordered through Amazon.
on April 18, 2015
love the cd .
this is one of my favourite cd beside the original Star war set ( the first hope,,Empire strike back, Return of the Jedi, ) tare the best, this is very good , show the orienting of Darth Vader
on October 5, 2014
My natural life, occurring everywhere out of nothing containment, helper, they have to be formatted like the menu space ship and buildings and menu or it causes technical difficulties, we will all die.
on February 11, 2007
Okay this is old now I know, but re-watched it the second time.

Overall - better then I remembered and worse all at once, the DVD had some awesome special features though.

Summary: that start of the Star Wars series. Don't think I need to sumarize this one. See Anikin Skywalker as a kid, see young Obi-Wan, see Jar-Jar and a pod race.

The good: the effects are awesome. It's Star Wars, sure it's not the best Star Wars but it's still better then 90% of the movies that come out. Darth Maul rocks. Young Obi-Wan is awesome. The pod race is pretty cool. Seeing Corusant for the first time was sweet. The battles are great.

The bad: Darth Maul dies too easily (now not as easy as Dukoo or General Grevious). The pod race is cool but long. Kids can't act and Anakin is no exception. The budding love between Amidala and Anakin is creepy. Jar-Jar annoyed me. I much prefered 3P0 for comedic releif. He wouldn't have been that bad if they didn't have to slip him into every scene.

The ugly: Midicloriens and the virgin birth of Darth Vader. WTF?!? I can overlook Jar-Jar, but not the scientific explanation for The Force. Why not leave it mystical like it was. Why not leave every viewer with that faint hope that The Force does exist and if they just try enough they can use it. Why rationalize it. Argh I hated that, and still do and always will.

Overall: worth seeing if you are a Star Wars fan. There was no way in hell no matter how good it could have been that it would live up to the original series. Some people will love it, some will hate it, but its still Star Wars and it's still a good time.
on September 19, 2014
I know that the original Star Wars films had their weaknesses but this film is just horrible. One interesting reaction to how bad this film is is the screening of the film to all the producers and Lucas himself. Once the film is over they are all shocked of how bad it is, and the sound guy( I can't remember his name) says how it doesn't really work but for the most part everyone seems scared and says nothing good or bad about the disaster on film they just witnessed. This film screws up from the first scene with the ridiculous asian sounding aliens. Once the first few scenes are done with and the stupid and ridiculous Jar Jar binks is introduced, the movie turns into C-SPAN, a bunch of politicians talking about taxes and bills and crap. What a snoozefest. I could go on but it suffices to say that George Lucas really screwed up Star Wars with this flick.
on June 18, 2004
This was a nice way to begin the Star Wars Saga. Immediatly, we are introduced to Jedi master Qui-Gon Jinn and of course our main hero, Obi-Wan Kenobi. The film takes off from the Federation Control ship to the awesome Pod Race and then on to the final battle on the planet Naboo. This film is action packed and worthy of being called a Star Wars movie. The characters are well set up for Attack of the Clones and gives us a whole new look on Star Wars. Best Scene: The Three Way duel between Darth Maul, Jinn, and Kenobi is a Star Wars fans dream!
"We'll watch your future with great interest!"
- Chancellor Palpatine to Anakin Skywalker
on June 29, 2004
I was one of the only people in the world who did not see "The Phantom Menace" in theaters, and instead waited until it came out on video and all the hype had died down. Perhaps this was why I did not see it as a monumental disappointment, since I didn't watch it believing it was going to be the best movie of the year. This is one of the most bashed films of modern times, and I don't think it deserves all of its negative publicity. Ironically, for how bad everyone says it is, Lucas still got what he wanted out of the movie- it's still the highest grossing post-"Titanic" film (though "Shrek 2" is closing fast, and "Spider-Man 2" may reach it also), and was the third-highest grossing film of the 1990's when adjusted for inflation.
I see "The Phantom Menace" as simply an entertaining adventure. It has a criminally slow first half, but some of the scenes in its second half are truly spectacular, such as the pod race and the Darth Maul fight. Everyone says how bad the acting is, but I found most of the actors passable- only Jake Lloyd as Anakin Skywalker irritated me. The special effects are incredible for the most part, and the final space battle leaves you breathless.
Of course, "The Phantom Menace" is not a great movie by any means. Darth Maul was criminally underdeveloped, and the Trade Federation bad guys were dull and lifeless. Whenever Jake Lloyd appeared on the screen, I wondered if I was watching a dumb kids movie. Overall, "The Phantom Menace" simply cannot compare with "The Empire Strikes Back". Then, of course, there's the immortal Jar Jar Binks. If Episode III has a chance of being as successful as the original "Star Wars" films, it will feature Jar Jar's slow and painful death, perhaps replayed over and over again in a flashback.
In the end, "The Phantom Menace" is just a couple hours of good entertainment, neither as bad nor as good as many claim it is. I actually slightly prefer "The Phantom Menace" to "Attack of the Clones", which was boring and too serious for its own good. However, there may be some nostalglia factor there- I miss the days of 1999, when everything was going great and the world had nothing better to do than freak out over the new "Star Wars" movie.
on June 29, 2004
This movie gets a lot of criticism and I understand why: Childish humor, the annoying Jar Jar Binks, and the prevalence of dull dialoque among some not so great actors (e.g., Nathalie Portman (even though she's not bad to look at!), Captain Panaka (why did Lucas even consider him! etc) and even some good actors (Liam Neeson & Ewan McGregor). Despite all that, I think the movie is a fun, fast-paced film that introduces a lot of the aspects that will occur in the sequels. The special effects are notable, but are overwhelming at times. I like the new advancements, but not to the point where the film cannot mesh with the original trilogy. Contrary to many, I think the pod race would have been better if it were shorter. The film definately excels more in the FX department than in the substance department, but really that's what the sequels are for....This film serves to grab your attention and introduce you to the Star Wars universe. Many criticize the plot, but I found the plot no less developed than other SW films. Aside from some of the criticisms, I really appreciate the new different look to the film with more colors, grandiose vistas and flowing designs, and really find the subtle references to future films really thoughtful. Although the film is not as good as the originals (which part of me would rather that it not be as good), the movie is entertaining, fun to watch and definately worthy of the Star Wars title......
on May 6, 2004
The most eagerly-awaited prequel in movie history, "Episode I: The Phantom Menace" carried so many false hopes into theatres many were bound to be disappointed. But the problem isn't with the movie itself, which is first-rate. There were just too many people who had their own ideas of what the first new Star Wars film in nearly a generation should be like for creator George Lucas to possibly satisfy. Sadly, those persons' negative reviews have somewhat marred an otherwise phenomenal blockbuster, which by any well-reasoned definition is a highly worthy extension of the beloved Star Wars mythos.
Even the film's critics agree that this movie looks spectacular. Lucas spared no expense in the set design and special effects, and the result is simply magical. From the iconic architecture of the planet Naboo to the wastes of Tatooine and the cold reaches of space, everything shimmers with life and you almost feel like you could walk right into the story yourself. Beyond that, the story itself is excellent and in line with the familiar Star Wars formula of good vs. evil on an interplanetary scale. Likewise, the cast is terrific and does a tremendous job. Liam Neeson is an commanding Qui-Gon Jinn who dominates every scene he is in, and Ewan McGregor is also excellent as the young Obi-Wan Kenobi just growing into his full power but clearly destined to be one of the greatest Jedi of all. Natalie Portman's Padme is appealing and believable, and Jake Lloyd is surprisingly effective as the ill-fated Anakin Skywalker. Ian McDiarmid lends a sinister air as the shadowy Senator Palpatine, whose suave elegance barely conceals his true dark nature.
Yes, there is Jar Jar Binks, and while Jar Jar does occasionally strike a funny note he is more often annoying. And young Mr. Lloyd does have to utter some rather painful lines from time to time. But these minor flaws hardly hinder the overall drama, which is quite strong. Particularly moving is Anakin's final dialogue with his mother, when he stands at the crossroads of his destiny and realizes that once he chooses which path to take, he can never look back. Of course there is also the famous pod race, a deadly race against fate that shoots across the Tatooine desert like lightning. The masterful extended climax (divided amongst no less than four different battles)is incredibly exciting. Here young Anakin foreshadows Luke Skywalker's later Death Star heroics, and Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan face the diabolical Darth Maul in an incredible display of lightsaber wizardry.
No review of this film would be complete without mention of John Williams's usual fantastic score. The soundtrack is magnificent, one of the most thrilling any movie has ever had, and it should've been used a bit more liberally in "Attack of the Clones."
Not only is the movie great, but the DVD is something special too. There are tons of special features that are sure to enhance what should be an already awesome viewing experience.
Overall, most of the negative press this movie got was undeserved. The characters are strong, the action unceasing, and the final product is nothing less than sensational. If it's not quite as good as the original Star Wars films, "The Phantom Menace" nonetheless recaptures the spirit of those immortal movies and opens a brand new door to wonder and fantasy. Don't be afraid...come on in!
on May 4, 2004
Now I'm not a nerd, I'm a geek, there's a big difference!!
I really enjoy this Star Wars movie. Great special effects, a touch of humour, even Jar Jar is witty if you give him half a chance.
Darth Maul was my favourite charecter in this one. I'ts a pity he bit the dust but there are some awesome lightsabre battles to enjoy between him and Qui Gon (Liam Neeson) and Obi-Wan (Ewan Mcgregor). Speaking of Obi-Wan, Mcgregor did a really great job of playing a younger version, he had Alec Guinness down pat.
The pod race was also awesome, reminded me of the chariot race in Ben-Hur. Natalie Portman was a little reserved but considering she was playing the queen of Naboo I don't know what else people expected. Loved the younger Yoda in this and was interesting to see Palpatine as a politican in pre-Emperor days behind the scenes operating like a puppet-master.
Being a Star Wars fanatic, I awaited this movie like none other since the original trilogy and the day it came out I went twice and was not disappointed, the people who hate this film really need to find peace in their lives and quit being so petty and bitter. And don't hate me for liking this film, I'm really a nice guy!
Thanks for reading.