Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Cyber Monday Deals Week in Home & Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Countdown to Cyber Monday in Lawn & Garden

Format: Audio CDChange

Showing 1-10 of 82 reviews(2 star).Show all reviews
on May 12, 2004
Surely there must be others who feel, as I do, that Krall is an over-hyped, mediocre vocalist lacking in passion and depth, with an almost complete inability to communicate the emotional essence of a lyric. So who's buying all these CDs? Probably people who also think Norah Jones and Peter Cincotti are just swell and wouldn't know a real singer if one bit them on their posteriors, I suppose. Hey Krall fans, ever hear of Lee Wiley? Peggy Lee? Oh, I forgot, they're not only not young and blonde anymore, they're DEAD, so they're not "relevant" to your late-twenty-something musical "tastes." Krall is for people who voted for Bush because "he seemed sincere" and go to see the latest "blockbuster" CGI-laden movie because the Fox TV critic called it "a white-knuckle thrill ride." The triumph of media hype over taste and discrimination is now complete.
on February 9, 2003
The producers of this album should be ashamed. They have taken a great vocalist and great jazz pianist and buried both under the London Symphony or worse. Suitable for the elevator but not for a jazz/pop collection. What a waste!
on January 13, 2003
I do think that Diana Krall is a talented musician. She has good taste in her musical selections. However, she is NOT a very good singer. Her voice is weak. Her diction is poor, and her phrasing is often sloppy and unimaginative.
I would consider the following women great singers: Lena Horne, Aretha Franklin, Ella Fitzgerald, Doris Day, Judy Garland, Rosemary Clooney, Julie Andrews, and Barbra Streisand. These are artists whose voices are multi-octave. These gifted performers have the ability to exhibit power or subtlety consistently and appropriately. Their technical skills are immaculate (with the exception of Judy Garland in her later years when her substance abuse caused her to slur her words). These magnificent singers bring exceptional clarity, sophistication and originality to their interpretations of classic American pop songs. They can infuse the music with profound emotion.
Diana Krall's vocals are superficial and pedestrian in comparison. The quality of her voice is tenuous and inconsistent.
on October 12, 2002
I gotta agree with the reviewer who said he/she doesn't "get" Diana Krall. I don't either. I've heard a couple of cuts on the jazz station and read enough good reviews to figure she was worth checking out. Maybe I got the wrong Diana Krall CD, because this one did nothing much for me. It's a nice collection of songs, I just wish someone else was singing them.
on September 16, 2002
Yes, I can't help wondering about Diana Krall's success. To me this sounds too much like the Jazz equivalent of Celine Dion. Soulless and superficial. Then again, all music types seem to be heading towards a similar level of mediocrity aren't they? I don't think she's a very good singer; to me, she sounds like a poseur - like many others I suppose. I won't repeat what's already been said many times except that these songs have been done better by many others. Seek them out unless you're only interested in the cover.
on August 6, 2002
I admire Diana as a(n)(ex) Jazz pianist/singer, who was discovered by Ray Brown who wrote the liner note on her excellent debut album "Stepping Out" with accomplists John Clayton and Jeff Hamilton. It was an excellent Jazz album with great piano playing and tasteful singing from Diana Krall.
Material in The Look of Love is not bad music, but is not what she is capable of. I am not sure what people who liked her original style think, to me this is muzak, passable but so is Kenny G.
Besides,after hearing Dusty Springfield's haunting "The Look of Love", Diana just does not do it for me.
on August 1, 2002
I purchase quite a number of CDs thru ... based on the recommendation feature. It's probably my favorite ... feature, and it has introduced me to a broad assortment of great music.
I've been familiar with Diana's name -- not her music -- so I took a chance when this CD kept popping up on my recommendation list. I'm honest enough to admit that I was somewhat captivated by the cover photo.
Unfortunately, the cover photo is about as good as this CD gets. I really didn't grasp from the other reviews that Diana Krull is a female Frank Sinatra. Yes, she's apparently a musician as well, but that really didn't come thru to me based on this effort. As I listen to this I just keep thinking, "lounge singer, lounge singer, lounge singer."
I'll keep this CD in my car for a week or so and see if it grows on me, but I don't see a lot of promise.
on July 18, 2002
I don't get Diana Krall. Yes, her taste in music is excellent, and the accompaniments to her singing are usually good (as they are on this album). But she is such a lousy singer, with a voice that is almost always flat and stilted. She always sounds like she just rolled out of bed at 7:00 in the morning and dragged herself in front of a small jazz group or a big orchestra. All of these songs have been done a million times by real singers, so what's the point of listening to her?
on June 17, 2002
She has a great voice. It's time for her to start doing some music of her own, and not copy other great female voices anymore. I have never heard such a pretentious interpretation, singing as someone who has the most marvelous voice on Earth and trying to make it sound special. Not a bad CD, but just very boring and pretentious. You can almost see her singing: "I'm the best, screw the rest !". Very disappointing. Don't waste your money. Go for Vanessa Rubin instead (Female Talk).
on June 4, 2002
Diana Krall's impeccable musicality can only take a listerner so far before ennui takes over. If there's a missing ingredient in her musical persona, it's passion. She's the aural equivalent of a quaalude. All of these standards are tastefully rendered, virtually pristine in a tapestry of lush arrangements. The unvarying emotional tone, however, virtually smacks of minimalism. It's as if Krall is afraid of exposing some awkward, inexplicably human feeling. For another set of standards, try Joni Mitchell's Both Sides Now. Unlike Krall, her good taste doesn't freeze the material.