5.0 out of 5 stars BIG SCORE FOR "STEEL DRAGON"!
The soundtrack for the movie "Rock Star" has it's best moments in the songs by the band Steel Dragon . . . which is technically a non-existent band except for in the movie. What you're hearing there is the vocalist from the band Steelheart, Michael Matijevic. As the voice of Steelheart, Matijevic had precious little competition as far as sheer range ability...
Published on Nov. 6 2001 by Antoinette Avalon

3.0 out of 5 stars Producer ruined this album
After watching the movie and hearing the new Steel Dragon tunes, many of which are performed "live" at various arenas, I knew I had to have this soundtrack. The new tunes are incredibly indicative of the period, and most are are really, really good songs. So I head to the store and buy the soundtrack...and suffer a major disappointment. Instead of hearing the raw,...
Published on June 23 2002 by Ken G.

5.0 out of 5 stars LONG LIVE TO HARD ROCK AND ROLL!!, Jan. 16 2003
This review is from: Rock Star (Audio CD)
Rock Star is the picture of 80's Metal sleaze scene. Forget about the end of of the movie, whatever. Steel Dragon rocks... Oh, Blood Pollution (Heaviest bass of Jeff Pilson), Wasted Generation (Lyrics about the pathetic up-coming end), Livin The Life (Spirit of the Movie!!), Stand Up (The outsmashing bass of the drums of Jason Bonham makes your heart stop for a few seconds), Long Live Rock N'Roll (Jeff Scott Soto and Zakk Wylde teaching Dio and Blackmore hahahha), Reckless (Criticize new bands), Colorful (Pathetic grunge band "The Verve Pipe") and finally, We All Die Young, (amazing performance of Steeheart's Mike Mijatevic).
Rockers:
Vocals: Mike Mijatevic (Steeheart), Jeff Scott Soto (Y. Malmsteen)
Guitars: Zakk Wylde (Ozzy)
Bass: Jeff Pilson (Dokken)
Drums: Jason Bonham (Jason Bonham Band)
Oh... And we still have Livin On A Prayer (Bon Jovi), Wild Side (Mötley Crüe) and Lick It Up (Kiss)
Extremely amazing!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Metal in the spotlight, Sept. 20 2001
Stephen Wright (Pembroke Pines, FL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rock Star (Audio CD)
What's great about a soundtrack like this is to listen to it before you see the movie and go in pumped to hear it blasted over a huge screen. All of the songs are featured in some way during the movie but the Steel Dragon songs really stand out. I would have preferred a soundtrack with just their originals. Great, heavy, high octane fuel for any hard rock fan. Zakk Wylde does his usual guitar wizardry on these songs which are all done very well. The last track by Trevor Rabin is an instrumental mixture of material that should have been longer.
Mark Wahlberg is very believable in the movie especially in 2 scenes where he is singing Steel Dragon songs. The other songs from that era blend nicely into each other although "Devil Inside" by INXS seems out of place. It's an appropiate song from them but it's not a rockin' tune. Overall, the album is very polished and deserves many listens by all metal fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars 80's headbanging nostalgia...yeah!!, Sept. 7 2001
N. DeCambra (Hawaii, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rock Star (Audio CD)
I bought this CD not even seeing the movie yet and I'm not disappointed in the least. It is awesome! I recommend it to anyone who, like myself, grew up listening to, rocking out to and loving the 80's hard rock, heavy metal bands. I am proud to say that I love that kind of music and do miss it! So it is a welcome relief to be able to hear it again. The new songs by the movie's band, Steel Dragon, are awesome. They fit right in and flow smoothly along with the classics of Motley Crue, Kiss, Bon Jovi and Nugent on the CD. You would never know they were written in 2001. The only complaint & it is just a very minor one, is the inclusion of The Verve Pipe's song & INXS, "Devil Inside". While they do stand out from the other songs and don't really fit in, they are at the end of the CD & grouped together so you can easily skip them, if you want to ;-) Overall a fun, fist pumping, head banging CD.

4.0 out of 5 stars This Album Rules!, Feb. 13 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Rock Star (Audio CD)
If you're a headbanger, you'll love this album. My favorite songs on the CD are "Blood Pollution", "Long Live Rock and Roll", and "Stand Up and Shout". "Blood Pollution" is a great throwback to all the 1980s heavy metal. For me, the drums in the intro and the opening chords are the stuff that got me addicted to this song. I almost got ear-bleed the first time I listened to it 'cause I just friggin' cranked it all the way up (well, almost anyway). "Stand Up And Shout" is an awesome song, but not an original. I think Dio was the original artist. "Long Live Rock and Roll" is the new rock anthem for the ages. My own anthem used to be Twisted Sister's " We're Not Gonna Take It", but it's not anymore because Twisted Sister just plain stinks.
Well, that's my two cents on the album. See ya later.
P.S.: Why did they have Everclear on here? Was the guy who picked the music on drugs?

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Great Great!!!!, Feb. 2 2004
T. I. Odon "wiseapple" (Brazil) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rock Star (Audio CD)
The best heavy metal soundtrack since Trick or Treat (1986). Steel Dragon rocks! Steel Dragon, unfortunetly a band that does not exist, trumble the world with two amazing voices: Mike Matijevic's (from Steelheart) and Jeff Scott Soto's (from Talisman). Mike does the backvocals on Stand Up and lead We All Die Young and Blood Pollution. Jeff shines on Long Live Rock N Roll, Stand Up and Wasted Generation. This CD holds the best perfomance of Jeff's whole career. You won't find anything like this in his Talisman or solo albuns. From Mike, check his first two Steelheart albuns out. They rock!! Amazing band. Mike has one of the best metal voices since Dave King left Fastway! And, of course, you also take home Zakk Wylde's guitar riffs. He is the best guitarrist there is ou there. Man, Steel Dragon is the band of our dreams! You guys should stick together!! A must have...

5.0 out of 5 stars Who Says You Can Never Go Back??, Feb. 3 2002
Matthew R. Reynolds "mister_r_" (Loganville, Georgia United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rock Star (Audio CD)
I remember when the movie trailer for this film came out and I thought that the soundtrack was going to be pretty good. I never did think much about it again until I rented the movie the other day. Just hearing the clips played in the movie was enough for me to take a chance and go out and buy the soundtrack. I can't state enough how much fun this album is. The oldies thrown in there (Kiss, Bon Jovi, Motley Crue, Ted Nuggent, Inxs) are nice trips back down memory lane, but the music by the fictional band Steel Dragon in the movie makes this a must own album. Wow, what a lot of fun!! Made me feel like I was back in the 80's headbanging to all my favorite big hair metal bands again. I know those days have past us by, but at least for as long as the album lasts, you get sent back in the wayback machine and remember how much fun the music was back then.

4.0 out of 5 stars Too bad there isn't a real Steel Dragon, Sept. 9 2001
Allen Chapman (STAFFORD SPRINGS, CT USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rock Star (Audio CD)
First off, I'm not a huge fan of Heavy Metal I do like some, but not all. This album however is really great. The best cuts are the Steel Dragon songs, in particular the power ballad, "We All Die Young". Mark Wahlberg does NOT sing on any of the songs, although he does sing bits and pieces of stuff in the movie. The "classic" songs mix in very well with the new Steel Dragon songs. What's even better is the placement of these songs in the movie. KISS's "Lick It Up" being probably the best placed song in the film, check it out and you'll see what I mean!! It really is too bad that there isn't really a group called "Steel Dragon". Hearing the songs on the album you'd think that it was a real band that had been together for years. A really great soundtrack to a pretty damn good movie!

5.0 out of 5 stars New music, old sound., March 13 2002
Arthur A. Dureitz (Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rock Star (Audio CD)
Well i must say that after watching the movie i new that i had to have the soundtrack. With such greats as Zak Wylde, and Jason Bonom involved in the music writing and production i was truly satisfied. The soundtrack is great, it has that hard beat of metal that was left back in the 80s with a new millenium sound. The only dissapointment is that the AC/DC track that was in the movie is not on the soundtrack. What gives?? How you can you make movie based on 80s metal and leave them out.. But all in all its a must buy. If you want screaming guitars and hard pounding drums to bring you back in time with a new millenium sound then this soundtrack is for you. Need more movies like this and keep those soundtracks coming. Metal will never be like it was back then. Well we can at least think so.

4.0 out of 5 stars More of a hair toss than a head bang, but still worth it..., July 15 2002
A User (Washington, DC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rock Star (Audio CD)
If you started out as a big fan of the movie score, simply couldn't get enough of the tunes, and bought the soundtrack, you might feel that the Aqua Net hairspray just didn't hold it together as well. In the immortal words of Cutty "do you think you could make it just a little more rauchy?" From movie to soundtrack some Dragon tunes fell from a squeal to a ping. Blood Pollution and Wasted Generation both retain their bollocks and you feel them shake the plastered layer of mascara off your lashes. I'd also ax the Everclear, INXS, etc. songs and replace them with AC/DC and Def Leppard, agreeing with Andy from Pitt below. That said, I still can't stop listening to the soundtrack. Steel Dragon was carved out of solid ROCK, baby. I'd sell my favorite KISS t-shirt to get to that show.

5.0 out of 5 stars rock and roll buries everything, April 10 2003
Daniel J. Hagerman "milkboydanny" (barnegat, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rock Star (Audio CD)
being a big fan of soundtracks, i picked up this gem because i liked some of the songs in the movie. whoever had the idea for assembling such a who's who of rock was a genius and it all works(you can read in most of the other reviews who the who's who actually are and from where they come)
as for the non-steel dragon songs we have motley crue, bon jovi, ted nugent, kiss, inxs, the verve pipe and everclear (sounding heavier and better than ever)
the songs are strong and rocking. i was also surprised at the diverse array of artists. steel dragon sounding nasty as motley crue(hell, blood pollution was written by twiggy ramirez from marilyn manson) and then you have inxs with the great song devil inside.
all in all this is one album every rock star should own

Rock Star
Rock Star by Trevor Rabin (Audio CD - 2001)