5.0 out of 5 stars Stop The Lies
Published on June 14 2003 by Fantastik

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent system, but not worth replacing the PS2...
I had a chance to play with an Xbox system over Christmas week. I actually rented some games that are available on the PS2 which I play (Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance) and some exclusives for the Xbox (Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell). I play games on both my PC and PS2 and thought about getting the Xbox, but after spending some time with the Microsoft console, I've decided...
Published on Dec 27 2002 by geester

5.0 out of 5 stars Stop The Lies, June 14 2003
This review is from: Xbox Video Game System (Video Game)
When the 3 next-gen consoles were first announced, I thought I'd be getting a GameCube. Then, to my dismay, Nintendo told us all of it's intentions to focus on the younger audience and plain-old gaming with no extra features (DVD player *cough* online support *cough*). So, GC was out. I switched to the PlayStation 2, but when my PS1 broke down, I was discouraged by Sony's terrible technical support. With only one choice left, I turned to ol' Microsoft. Bill Gates (a.k.a. Uncle Pennybags) can't let us down too badly, can he? Not a chance.
As many PS2 and GC loyalists would want you to believe, the Xbox does not overheat excessively. In fact (in the words of EGM), the only time it may catch fire is if you happen to be "holding it over an open flame". I've had my Xbox since it came out, and unlike the PS2 I once owned, it has never frozen up or crashed in any way. Yes, Xbox may be big (and weigh in at 8 pounds), but unless you're constantly moving it, this isn't a problem. The "old" controllers and S controllers are both made of equally comfortable plastic (strange, but true) and should only serve as a hinderance for those with tiny hands. Plus, with all the little extras that MS came up with, Xbox is the one and only choice for hardcore gamers. And now with "Xbox LIVE" up and running, more and more people are turning to the power of X for their console of choice.
Don't get left behind.

5.0 out of 5 stars XBOX- Is there any other choice?, May 28 2003
"jimbean22" (Poplar Bluff, MO United States) - See all my reviews
[...]. Here's the deal-
The XBOX is very powerful. It takes the games originally out for the PS2, and improves them. For example, Medal of Honor: Frontline stands alone as one of the best games out there, but the PS2 version cannot even fathom the game's possiblities(try to imagine surround sound war gameplay- bullets flying across the room, soldiers yelling from behind you, explosions reminating all around). Also, its "exclusive" titles are quite worthy of praise. Halo,which everyone talks about, takes gaming to a new level. Very few loading screens(only one in between each of the 8 levels), a very high frame-rate, dazzling graphics and environments, and great multiplayer combat. Splinter cell, which WAS originally only for the XBOX but was purchased by the PS2 for an obscene amount of money out of desperation, completely dumbfounded me with its use of sound, light, and cause and effect actions. There are many others, but this review has a 1,000 word limit.
The PS2 has an astounding number of games(most of which are not the least bit interesting) and dominates sales statistics. That's it. That's all it has over the XBOX. Most of the games currently on the PS2 will be on the XBOX once they update their capabilites and improve upon every aspect of the gameplay. The PS2 is nice with its size and arrangability from horizontal to vertical, but is that what you should be looking for in a gaming console? I think not.
Go for quality(XBOX), not quantity(PS2).

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST OF THE BIG THREE!, April 17 2003
blackholesun (ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Xbox Video Game System (Video Game)
I had a playstation 2 and had it [for awhile]. I also have an XBOX and a gamecube all which I recieved the same day everyone else could buy them. First off let me say PS2 is a...company that makes every playstation 2 [poorly] made enough to not stand a molecule of dust that creeps inside. First it won't recognize it's own games, %100 chance it will not play all your DVD's, and to tell you the truth the graphics in some games are good but overall they still dip in the ps1 pond. The gamecube I can't really say nothing bad because I am a nintendo baby and the mini-disc console is mighty fast. But the XBOX takes the kit because of the things it holds up to in the end some heavy playing use and the playing factor itself. Some games may not come to the XBOX soon but don't worry because developers notice how popular and good this system actually is so soon you will see a bigger and badder...grand theft auto for the Xbox and all those other titles. You like listening to music than you can create a soundtrack with your own cds but this feature only comes so far with a few games and I'm sure one of them is NHL Hitz 2003. But anyways I got rid of my PS2 and I am happy with the Xbox since it runs well and can stay in a place and collect dust!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars da best, April 10 2003
This review is from: Xbox Video Game System (Video Game)
Sony has shafted me again, first with a defective ps1 that broke down 1 week after the warranty expired. Now the same thing has happened with my ps2, 3 weeks after the warranty is up, the problems began.I own all three new systems plus 5 older systems and I work for software etc. I know my business and our sales speak volumes. XBOX sales have picked up while ps2 have stayed the same and gamecube, well there is always the next system. For ps2 I had to buy memory cards, a keyboard, an ethernet adapter, and a multi-tap. Then I bought an XBOX. Unlimited memory, and the only thing you might have to purchase is a dvd playback kit(which is cheaper than a ps2 memory card). I own a real dvd player and im not stupid enough to use my console as a primary dvd player. This is 2003, 99% of the world doesnt have to use their game console as a dvd player. I found that most of the games on ps2 are on XBOX except on XBOX they contain extras, far better graphics, sound and some even add online play. While online you can chat in every game, no need for a keyboard. ps2 only offers 1 game with chat(shame on them).
XBOX has over 235 games available and over 250 for this year alone, so games is not an issue. Finally someone has built a better system then ps2. ps2 is good, but the loading times, muddy jaggy graphics, no dolby digital,and now its losing all its exclusives to xbox. ps2 exclusives are getting fewer and the ones they have are seeking ways to get their games on other systems. GTAVC for example, rockstar is planning on releasing a side story to gta only for XBOX, so you can expect great graphics and much better gameplay on xbox. With games like Halo 2, Tao feng, Project Gothom 2, Dino Crisis 3, UFC Tapout 2, Dead or Alice Chronos, Brute force, Rallisport 2, Mech Assault,
Unreal Championship, Panzer Draggon Orta, and many more exclusives, the proof is there if you look, developers are putting their best games on XBOX and then dumping the left overs on ps2. The XBOX exclusive games put anything the ps2 has done to shame. Halo was released over a year ago and there still has been nothing from ps2 that even comes close to the graphics, sound, story and even the online play rocks even though its not offical through xbox live, you have to play through gamespy. The new 800 pound gorilla is here, and its name is xbox.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, poor execution, April 7 2003
This review is from: Xbox Video Game System (Video Game)
Like everything Microsoft does, they tried too hard, and ended up creating a monster system, while overlooking some of the simplest things.
The xbox is great on paper - nobody questions it's supremacy on the spec-sheet. Nvidia graphics technology is first rate The guts of the xbox are based on a long line of pc technology that is powerful, and affordable. This is not the problem.
The problem is Microsoft's design philosophy. They packed every little bell and whistle into the xbox, without having a clear purpose for some of it in mind. Including network support is understandable - they needed to be ready for online gaming. However, there was no need to include a mammoth hard drive in the thing - you could probably fit the saved games of every xbox owner in the world onto just .1% of all xboxes. The hard drive adds to the cost of the device, causing Microsoft to cut corners on other parts...
Which leads me to the biggest technical flaw in the device: the optical drive. I have three friends with xboxes. One xbox still works fine, but it is also just a few months old. One xbox has ridiculous problems reading discs that are in nearly perfect condition, and it's almost impossible to get it to read any disc that's been used a moderate amount. It almost reminds me of the days of DOS games, when you had to constantly reboot until you got the thing to work. One xbox had the optical drive quit on it completely. None of these machines is more than a year old.
Sadly, Microsoft decided to use sub-standard equipment for such a critical part on the machine. It will cost you half of the initial purchase price to replace the optical drive, and they've designed the device so that you *must* use their drive. This is interesting given that Microsoft loses money on the sale of new machines, but undoubtedly makes money on the sale of replacement drives. I've been using the same DVD drive in my PC for several years, and it still works as well as the day I got it - DVD drives in general don't all break after a year like they do on the xbox.
For the unforgivable oversight in regard to the quality of the optical drive I would give the xbox only one star; however, because of the strong performance of the device on paper, and the hours of halo that I've enjoyed, I have bumped it up to two stars. It's easier to get a game working on my friend's ancient NES than on the xbox with the failing (but not completely gone) optical drive. That is sad.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, poor execution, April 7 2003
This review is from: Xbox Video Game System (Video Game)
The xbox is great on paper - nobody questions it's supremacy on the spec-sheet. Nvidia graphics technology is first rate (hey... they put 3dfx out of business...) The guts of the xbox are based on a long line of pc technology that is powerful, and affordable. This is not the problem.
Which leads me to the biggest technical flaw in the device: the optical drive. (Oddly enough, the PS2 has optical problems too, but that's for another review.) I have three friends with xboxes. One xbox still works fine, but it is also just a few months old. One xbox has ridiculous problems reading discs that are in nearly perfect condition, and it's almost impossible to get it to read any disc that's been used a moderate amount. It almost reminds me of the days of DOS games, when you had to constantly reboot until you got the thing to work. One xbox had the optical drive quit on it completely. None of these machines is more than a year old.
Others will point out the small selection of games available for xbox, relative to the PS2. While this is certainly a drawback, the games that do exist for the platform are generally very solid. Halo is absolutely wonderful, and I look forward to Halo 2 if I can still find a working xbox when it finally comes out.

1.0 out of 5 stars Xbox is not worth the money., April 5 2003
Dude (Medford, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Xbox Video Game System (Video Game)
To be honest with everybody, I have been a Nintendo fan ever since I got my first NES. But when I went over to my friends house to play the Xbox, I was very disappointed. First of all, if you plan to buy this for kids under 12, DON'T. My neighbor who is 11 got this for the '01 Chirstmas and hated it because all of the games for kids his age stink, and most of the games on that system are rated Teen or higher. It's been a year since he got it and he only has 3 games...he can't find any other good ones. Now that his parents see the mistake they made, they got him a Gamecube for the '02 Christmas. He has played that more in 4 months than he has played Xbox in a year. I've looked through the library of games, and none of them are as good as Gamecube games. Not one game on Xbox could possibly beat Super Smash Bros Melee, Animal Crossing, or any other game now or in Gamecube's future. Along with that, the control is abnormally huge and you can't bring Xbox anywhere with you. It's a big piece of plastic that weighs a lot. My gamecube I can grab by its handle and carry to my friends house...it's that simple. So the bottom line is that if you are somebody under 12, don't buy this system...

5.0 out of 5 stars ps2 has fallen, March 31 2003
This review is from: Xbox Video Game System (Video Game)
First lets get this straight, all of the new systems are good. XBOX is the best, next ps2, then GC. To all the fangirls who claim you get more for the buck with ps2 ...lets break it down. XBOX for the same price as ps2 you get a built in hard drive, ethernet adapter, dolby digital in gameplay not cutscenes only like ps2, 2 great games (both games got an average score of 8 or higher in egm, game pro and game informer magazine)sega gt 2002 and jet set radio future..FREE!with ps2 you HAVE to buy memory cards, ethernet adapters, no dolby digital in the games, no free games, plus the system will probably break down in 2 years.The XBOX is also the best built machine out of the 3. The customer service is top notch and the XBOX LIVE Online puts the sony effort to shame. 300,000 XBOX live kits sold in 2 months, the XBOX live has out sold ps2 network adapters by 86 percent. You also have real time chat in every XBOX LIVE game (not just in one game like ps2). Also the tie in rate for XBOX is also the highest in history at 4.59(which means for every xbox system there are 5 games per owner) ps2 is at 3.4. Also 1 in 5.8 ps2 are defective, that is alot of defects.I work in a video game store in NY and we get at least 7-15 defective ps2 a month. Xbox around 2-6 per month, and GC around 1-5 a month. For the fanboys who want to try to use controllers as an argument, sorry you can buy adapters to use ps2 controllers if you want of you can chose from the more than 20 different controller styles, plus the XBOX controller is more comfortable anyway, do you really want to use a ps2 controller that was copied from snes. Now the games, yes ps2 has more games, well its been out for two+ years, but most of the games for ps2 are very poor and the ones that are any good are also on XBOX but LOOK, PLAY, SOUND better than the ps2 versions. the XBOX has more games in its first year than the ps2 had.... Midnight Club Racing 2, Red Faction 2, EA sports series, NBA Street, Medal of Honor, Metal Gear Solid, etc. Exclusives for XBOX are far superior to ps2,Splinter Cell, HALO, Project Gothom Racing, Castle wolfenstein Online, UFC Tapout, Panzer Dragoon Orta, APEX racing, Brute Force, SEGA GT 2002, Gun Valkyrie, MOTO GP Online, Mech Assault, Unreal Championship, Air Force Delta Storm plus many more EXCLUSIVES which all are rated 8 or higher by every magazine and online game site. Its just time to admit that the ps2 was good while there was no competition but XBOX is just wayyyyy better. So dont be a bunch of putzes because there are millions of people who prefer XBOX over the ps2, people lie a superior product and XBOX is the superior product. Dont hate XBOX owners because they own the better system, buy an XBOX and skip the ps2. For every positive a ps2 fanboy points out for ps2, the XBOX is better so if they think ps2 is great than XBOX must be the ultimate. The facts are XBOX is at least 5x's more powerful than ps2, has better sound, better online, lets you rip your own soundtracks into your games, has downloadable content from XBOX Live like characters, weapons, skins, levels, stats, etc. It is just the better system so if you want the BEST, BUY THE XBOX, if you want a second rate machine, with dark muddy graphics, poor sound, and you want to keeo buying memory cards, keyboards, and other useless add ons buy the old, outdated ps2. Oh and the only reason ps2 "sells" so well is because they build the ps2 to break down within a year. Then sony charges, with shipping, the cost of a new one to repair it. Fact 20% of ps2 sales are sales made to customers whose 1st one has broken down. NOT new customers, just the same ones. Wonder why sony doesnt let the people know that when they release their sales numbers. Face it fanboys ps2 is done and stop hating because NOT everyone wants an old, poor performing, soory game system like ps2, some people expect more from their hardware and the 9 million XBOX owners are proof.

5.0 out of 5 stars the baddest around, March 22 2003
This review is from: Xbox Video Game System (Video Game)
Games are much more about gameplay than graphics and sound--as long as a game continues to be fun, people will play it. Graphics and sound contribute to the fun, but the playability and longevity are much bigger factors.
I was disappointed right off the bat with the PS2's graphics--it seemed ridiculous that this "advanced" system should suffer from such obvious aliasing (jagged edges) problems, which causes an annoying saw-like flicker in most games.
That said, the XBOX has so far given us some very, very pretty games--I have a 53" HDTV set and have been treated to some magnificent graphics on it. But far more importantly, the XBOX has given us some very good, fun, playable games in any genre you can think of: Action/Adventure (Metal Gear Solid 2, HALO), Survival Horror (Silent Hill 2, Fatal Frame, BloodRayne), Platformers (Oddworld, Vexx), Action RPG (Phantasy Star Online), RPG (Elder Scrolls). If you can't find a game you like, check your pulse...avoiding XBOX games is harder than finding them.
At this point, you weigh the investment returns the system's going to give you--it costs a little more than a decent DVD player, and if you were to complete only the games I've listed above, you'd get a minimum of 300 hours of gameplay(I put in about 300 hours on Mech Assault Online or about the equivalent of 150 feature-length DVDs. At 2 hours a night, that's 5 months of entertainment.
And that's what it's all about.
5 years from now, console systems will make the current generation look positively anemic. New forms of gameplay will be discovered and incorporated, and old forms will be maturing and evolving. Whatever you get today, be it XBOX or GC or ps2, it's not going to measure up to the next generation. Fact of life.
So the real question is which system will keep you entertained the longest? Where is the bang for the buck? It's in the XBOX, no matter how you slice it.
With the shift from cartridge-based to disc-based games, the systems gained capacity and flexibility while adding load times and moving parts. This raises the reliability question: how many hours of play will you get out of your system before it dies ... ? I've had my PS2 since May of 2001 and it broke down 4 months later.
I have the GameCube as a supplemental system, but every time I go to shell out the money, I look at the rack of XBOX games just to the left of the GCN display and find something new to play. As long as there is a constant influx of new, good games for the XBOX, it's the only system you need.

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute blast!, March 5 2003
This review is from: Xbox Video Game System (Video Game)
I bought this for my husband for his birthday and we've been playing it non stop since. He's 41, I'm 38 and we have a 16 and a 13 year old. There is something for everyone! Both my daughters have played on a Playstation unit and both were much more impressed with the graphics of the XBox. My oldest wanted us to get a Playstation but I went with the XBox because it sounded way better. Once we got the XBox she has since changed her mind and is extremely impressed with it. We've got several car racing games and my youngest says these are way better on the XBox than her friend's playstation.
As for the birthday boy, he is the one who plays the most. Right now he is currently playing three different games and keeps switching back and forth between them!
As for the debate that XBox doesn't have a lot of games, they currently have over 220 listed on their website and there are many more being released each month! There are plenty of games to chose from to find something fun to play. The games we currently have are Buffy the vampire Slayer (very addictive, very fun!), Hunter the Reckoning (haven't played this one but this is one that my husband is currently working on), Gunvalkarie (just got this the other day and so far has proved almost as addictive as Buffy), Gotham Racing (my youngest loves this one) and about five others. We've only had the XBox for a little over a month so we haven't had a chance to play all the games I bought!!

Xbox Video Game System