5.0 out of 5 stars AN EXCELLENT SYSTEM (but not for young kids)
Published on July 6 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars I have a PS2 and XBOX so listen up!
you know i got a ps2 about 2 years ago and got my xbox about 2 months ago. and since i own both trust me go with the ps2!
Published on April 5 2003 by Liz Callanan

5.0 out of 5 stars AN EXCELLENT SYSTEM (but not for young kids), July 6 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Xbox Video Game System (Video Game)
The Xbox is a powerful system with great games. But I wouldn't recommend this system for young kids. See, most of the games are rated for teenageers. You will not find a lot of games rated for everyone (not including sport games). But I know two games your kids might like. They are Frogger Beyond and TY the Tasmanian Tiger. They are both rated for everyone and are very addictive games. But your kids must have a lot of patience for these games because they are very hard!(especially Frogger Beyond) But if you have young kids, I suggest you get a Gamecube, because there are a ton of games rated for everyone.
I hope this was helpful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good., June 20 2003
"katosepe" (Sammamish, WA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Xbox Video Game System (Video Game)
If you like RPG's then you will hate this system, at least until Fable and Sudeki come out. I am an RPG fanatic so when I got this system for Christmas, I tried looking for any RPG I could. The only real good one is Baldurs Gate. That game is pretty fun since it's two player but the system needs a good, X-box only RPG that is a basic, Level-Up, Equiping weapons and armor, Turn-based battles RPG.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stop The Lies, June 14 2003
This review is from: Xbox Video Game System (Video Game)
When the 3 next-gen consoles were first announced, I thought I'd be getting a GameCube. Then, to my dismay, Nintendo told us all of it's intentions to focus on the younger audience and plain-old gaming with no extra features (DVD player *cough* online support *cough*). So, GC was out. I switched to the PlayStation 2, but when my PS1 broke down, I was discouraged by Sony's terrible technical support. With only one choice left, I turned to ol' Microsoft. Bill Gates (a.k.a. Uncle Pennybags) can't let us down too badly, can he? Not a chance.
As many PS2 and GC loyalists would want you to believe, the Xbox does not overheat excessively. In fact (in the words of EGM), the only time it may catch fire is if you happen to be "holding it over an open flame". I've had my Xbox since it came out, and unlike the PS2 I once owned, it has never frozen up or crashed in any way. Yes, Xbox may be big (and weigh in at 8 pounds), but unless you're constantly moving it, this isn't a problem. The "old" controllers and S controllers are both made of equally comfortable plastic (strange, but true) and should only serve as a hinderance for those with tiny hands. Plus, with all the little extras that MS came up with, Xbox is the one and only choice for hardcore gamers. And now with "Xbox LIVE" up and running, more and more people are turning to the power of X for their console of choice.
Don't get left behind.

5.0 out of 5 stars XBOX- Is there any other choice?, May 28 2003
"jimbean22" (Poplar Bluff, MO United States) - See all my reviews
[...]. Here's the deal-
The XBOX is very powerful. It takes the games originally out for the PS2, and improves them. For example, Medal of Honor: Frontline stands alone as one of the best games out there, but the PS2 version cannot even fathom the game's possiblities(try to imagine surround sound war gameplay- bullets flying across the room, soldiers yelling from behind you, explosions reminating all around). Also, its "exclusive" titles are quite worthy of praise. Halo,which everyone talks about, takes gaming to a new level. Very few loading screens(only one in between each of the 8 levels), a very high frame-rate, dazzling graphics and environments, and great multiplayer combat. Splinter cell, which WAS originally only for the XBOX but was purchased by the PS2 for an obscene amount of money out of desperation, completely dumbfounded me with its use of sound, light, and cause and effect actions. There are many others, but this review has a 1,000 word limit.
The PS2 has an astounding number of games(most of which are not the least bit interesting) and dominates sales statistics. That's it. That's all it has over the XBOX. Most of the games currently on the PS2 will be on the XBOX once they update their capabilites and improve upon every aspect of the gameplay. The PS2 is nice with its size and arrangability from horizontal to vertical, but is that what you should be looking for in a gaming console? I think not.
Go for quality(XBOX), not quantity(PS2).

4.0 out of 5 stars Heap of Junk, May 25 2003
This review is from: Xbox Video Game System (Video Game)
While XBox did produce Halo, one of if not the greatest game ever, the console on which it is played is garbage. I would not recommend buying this system because Mine, along with many others that I've seen, is now broken only a year after purchase. The fan and a bunch of other inner workings cut out and are now non functional.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST OF THE BIG THREE!, April 17 2003
blackholesun (ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Xbox Video Game System (Video Game)
I had a playstation 2 and had it [for awhile]. I also have an XBOX and a gamecube all which I recieved the same day everyone else could buy them. First off let me say PS2 is a...company that makes every playstation 2 [poorly] made enough to not stand a molecule of dust that creeps inside. First it won't recognize it's own games, %100 chance it will not play all your DVD's, and to tell you the truth the graphics in some games are good but overall they still dip in the ps1 pond. The gamecube I can't really say nothing bad because I am a nintendo baby and the mini-disc console is mighty fast. But the XBOX takes the kit because of the things it holds up to in the end some heavy playing use and the playing factor itself. Some games may not come to the XBOX soon but don't worry because developers notice how popular and good this system actually is so soon you will see a bigger and badder...grand theft auto for the Xbox and all those other titles. You like listening to music than you can create a soundtrack with your own cds but this feature only comes so far with a few games and I'm sure one of them is NHL Hitz 2003. But anyways I got rid of my PS2 and I am happy with the Xbox since it runs well and can stay in a place and collect dust!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best system around!!!, April 15 2003
Philip Nachreiner (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Xbox Video Game System (Video Game)
The Xbox simply rocks. It's got the best graphics and horsepower of any system available today. It has a great library of games. Couple this with an Xbox Live! and you have the ultimate entertainment device. I'd recommend having both the S controller and the big controller for people with both big and small hands. There are some great games available today and some great games to come. A must is Halo.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, April 14 2003
This review is from: Xbox Video Game System (Video Game)
I too work in video game sales and here is my opinion.ps2 might have been good 2 years ago, but now it looks likes childs play.The graphics are dark and muddy, the sound is average, the online play is a joke, the system is very frail and stops reading discs after a year or so (im on my 2nd ps2), most of the good games are defecting to XBOX, you have to buy multiple memory cards, a multi tap, an ethernet adapter to play online, only one online games allows you to talk to people so you also have to buy a keyboard, way too much money to throw away. Get an XBOX instead, it has unlimited memory, ethernet built in, ability to talk in EVERY online game, amazing graphics, supports HDTV (ps2 cant do this either), dolby digital sound in games, record your own cds and make your own game soundtracks, free downloadable extras via XBOX live for games,games are much better than ps2 games, better exclusives, plus 2 free games to go with it. ps2 was, XBOX is the best

5.0 out of 5 stars da best, April 10 2003
This review is from: Xbox Video Game System (Video Game)
Sony has shafted me again, first with a defective ps1 that broke down 1 week after the warranty expired. Now the same thing has happened with my ps2, 3 weeks after the warranty is up, the problems began.I own all three new systems plus 5 older systems and I work for software etc. I know my business and our sales speak volumes. XBOX sales have picked up while ps2 have stayed the same and gamecube, well there is always the next system. For ps2 I had to buy memory cards, a keyboard, an ethernet adapter, and a multi-tap. Then I bought an XBOX. Unlimited memory, and the only thing you might have to purchase is a dvd playback kit(which is cheaper than a ps2 memory card). I own a real dvd player and im not stupid enough to use my console as a primary dvd player. This is 2003, 99% of the world doesnt have to use their game console as a dvd player. I found that most of the games on ps2 are on XBOX except on XBOX they contain extras, far better graphics, sound and some even add online play. While online you can chat in every game, no need for a keyboard. ps2 only offers 1 game with chat(shame on them).
XBOX has over 235 games available and over 250 for this year alone, so games is not an issue. Finally someone has built a better system then ps2. ps2 is good, but the loading times, muddy jaggy graphics, no dolby digital,and now its losing all its exclusives to xbox. ps2 exclusives are getting fewer and the ones they have are seeking ways to get their games on other systems. GTAVC for example, rockstar is planning on releasing a side story to gta only for XBOX, so you can expect great graphics and much better gameplay on xbox. With games like Halo 2, Tao feng, Project Gothom 2, Dino Crisis 3, UFC Tapout 2, Dead or Alice Chronos, Brute force, Rallisport 2, Mech Assault,
Unreal Championship, Panzer Draggon Orta, and many more exclusives, the proof is there if you look, developers are putting their best games on XBOX and then dumping the left overs on ps2. The XBOX exclusive games put anything the ps2 has done to shame. Halo was released over a year ago and there still has been nothing from ps2 that even comes close to the graphics, sound, story and even the online play rocks even though its not offical through xbox live, you have to play through gamespy. The new 800 pound gorilla is here, and its name is xbox.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, poor execution, April 7 2003
This review is from: Xbox Video Game System (Video Game)
Like everything Microsoft does, they tried too hard, and ended up creating a monster system, while overlooking some of the simplest things.
The xbox is great on paper - nobody questions it's supremacy on the spec-sheet. Nvidia graphics technology is first rate The guts of the xbox are based on a long line of pc technology that is powerful, and affordable. This is not the problem.
The problem is Microsoft's design philosophy. They packed every little bell and whistle into the xbox, without having a clear purpose for some of it in mind. Including network support is understandable - they needed to be ready for online gaming. However, there was no need to include a mammoth hard drive in the thing - you could probably fit the saved games of every xbox owner in the world onto just .1% of all xboxes. The hard drive adds to the cost of the device, causing Microsoft to cut corners on other parts...
Which leads me to the biggest technical flaw in the device: the optical drive. I have three friends with xboxes. One xbox still works fine, but it is also just a few months old. One xbox has ridiculous problems reading discs that are in nearly perfect condition, and it's almost impossible to get it to read any disc that's been used a moderate amount. It almost reminds me of the days of DOS games, when you had to constantly reboot until you got the thing to work. One xbox had the optical drive quit on it completely. None of these machines is more than a year old.
Sadly, Microsoft decided to use sub-standard equipment for such a critical part on the machine. It will cost you half of the initial purchase price to replace the optical drive, and they've designed the device so that you *must* use their drive. This is interesting given that Microsoft loses money on the sale of new machines, but undoubtedly makes money on the sale of replacement drives. I've been using the same DVD drive in my PC for several years, and it still works as well as the day I got it - DVD drives in general don't all break after a year like they do on the xbox.
For the unforgivable oversight in regard to the quality of the optical drive I would give the xbox only one star; however, because of the strong performance of the device on paper, and the hours of halo that I've enjoyed, I have bumped it up to two stars. It's easier to get a game working on my friend's ancient NES than on the xbox with the failing (but not completely gone) optical drive. That is sad.

ARRAY(0xb01cae4c)