5.0 out of 5 stars If you don't already have it - get it - right away
Did you see what is listed in this compilation? Better yet you HAVE heard them just never all in the same place.
Published on Dec 11 2003 by MovedbyMusic

3.0 out of 5 stars Keep Disc One, Trash Disc Two
Disc one of this collection is very good. It has a lot of the "classic" Christmas songs on it. The only one that's really not very good on this disc is the last one: "Little Drummer Boy - David Bowie/Bing Crosby." Bing must've been pretty desperate to do a Christmas song with David Bowie.
As far as Disc two is concerned, well, it'd make a fine drink coaster...
Published on Dec 22 2002 by David A. Lessnau

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars If you don't already have it - get it - right away, Dec 11 2003
Ce commentaire est de: Now That's What I Call Christmas! (Audio CD)
There is really no need to get any other entire Christmas cd if yoiu have this one. There are the very best songs by the artists you remember the songs by - for example: The Christmas Song only Nat King Cole can do this the way we always remember it. How about? Bing Crosby - White Christmas; or Blue Christmas - Elvis Presly; - Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas - Frank Sinatra; Winter Wonderland - Tony Bennett; Sleigh Ride - Ella Fitzgerald; Let It Snow - Dean Martin; Home For The Holidays - Perry Como; It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year - Johnny Mathis; and Have A Holly Jolly Christmas - Burl Ives.
Then there are the more modern day pop Christmas classics like - Santa Claus Is Coming To Town - Bruce Springsteen; Do They Know It's Christmas - Band Aid; Wonderful Christmastime - Paul McCartney; It Must Have Been Old Santa - Harry Connick Jr.; Jingle Bells - Diana Krall; Away In A Manger - Mannheim Steamroller; Deck The Halls - Ottmar Liebert; Happy Christmas (War Is Over) - John Lennon; and
Don't Save It All For Christmas Day - Celine Dion
There are so many great artists on these two discs (the only two I thought were most noticeably missing are Jose Feliciano and Mariah Carey) you'll be thrilled to only need these two for an efficient but indulgent Christmas music collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fun Holiday Collection, Nov. 28 2003
Timothy Kearney (Haverhill, MA United States) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Now That's What I Call Christmas! (Audio CD)
A few years ago, I went through my CD collection and realized that I have more Christmas CD's than I could possibly listen to on Christmas day, but I always thought my collection was lacking certain pieces. I was missing many of the songs we hear on the radio, that have become so much a part of Christmas. Many of the tracks I wanted are on albums I probably would not otherwise purchase. For example, take the humorous "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer." I mean, many people can get a chuckle when listening to the song, but do people really want to buy the Elmo and Patsy Christmas CD? Are either Bobby Helms or Brenda Lee's recordings available? Yet "Jingle Bell Rock" and "Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree" are part of our pop Christmas culture. This collection has many of the pop standards as well as other favorites by artists such as Bing Crosby, Gene Autry, Perry Como, and a host of others. The recoding can be a bit haunting as well, when we hear musicians such as Bing Crosby sing his duet with David Bowie "Peace on Earth," or the voices of Karen Carpenter and John Lennon. This collection will be great for holiday parties or to listen to while getting the tree decorated. While it may not highlight the spiritual meaning of the season, it is fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Christmas CD, Nov. 16 2003
not telling (Philadelphia, PA United States) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Now That's What I Call Christmas! (Audio CD)
This CD has a little bit of of everything for everyone. From Bing Crosby to Elvis Presley to Britney Spears and Micheal Bolton. You get two discs, 18 songs on each, 36 songs total. It's a great value for all that you get:
Disc 1's playlist:
1. Nat King Cole - The Christmas Song
2. Bing Crosby - White Christmas
3. Elvis Presley - Blue Christmas
4. Frank Sinatra - Have yourself a Merry Little Christmas
5. Tony Bennett - Winter Wonderland
6. Ella Fitzgerald - Sleigh Ride
7. Dean Martin - Let it Snow!
8. Perry Como - Home for the Holidays
16. Carpenters - Merry Christmas Darling
17. Kathy Mattea - Christmas Collage
18. Bing Crosby & David Bowie - The Little Drummer Boy
DISC TWO's PLAYLIST:
1. John Lennon & Yoko Ono - Happy Xmas (War is over)
2.Bruce Springsteen - Santa Claus is coming to town
3.Band Aid - Do They Know It's Christmas?
4.Paul McCartney - Wonderful Christmas
11.Celine Dion- Don't Save it all for Christmas
12.Joe- This Christmas
13.The Isley Brothers - Special Gift
14.The Big Yard Family - All We Need Is Love
15.Britney Spears - My Only Wish (this year)
16.*Msync - Don't Have To Be Alone
17.Luther Vandross - O Come All Ye Faithful
18.Boyz II Men - Silent Night
As you can see, the first CD consists mainly of older classics. The second CD has more modern Christmas songs and artists. And although I am more partial to disc one, both discs are great!! Great album to listen to in the car or at home to get you in the holiday spirit! Highly Recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome compilation..., Nov. 14 2003
Ce commentaire est de: Now That's What I Call Christmas! (Audio CD)
Well, it's that time of year again, folks. Time to take a hammer to that piggy bank and go nuts with a little holiday spirit. Don't you just love it? Speaking of holiday spirit, this is the perfect CD to get you in the mood for Christmas. Whether you're wrapping presents, taking a trip in your car to go shopping or just plain relaxing by the fire, there's nothing better to set you in that magical Christmas mood than this compilation.
You may as well call the entire first CD a classic. Every song is a Christmas staple, most notably Nat King Cole's "the Christmas Song" and Bing Crosby's "White Christmas," which kick off the compilation with a bang. The 16 songs that follow reek of Christmas nostalgia. Absolutely perfect.
The second CD, however, is a little uneven. Oh, sure, you have a few truly great Christmas tunes; most notably John & Yoko's "Happy Xmas," Band Aid's "Do They Know It's Christmas?," Luther Vandross's "O Come All Ye Faithful," Bruce Springsteen's rockin' "Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town" and Boyz II Men's wonderful a cappella rendition of "Silent Night." There's a few other great songs, but these are my favorites. What nearly ruins the flow of this otherwise pretty good disc are the newer songs. Sorry, folks, but these just don't get me the way the other ones do.
But, oh well. I'd be lying if I said this wasn't an overall excellent compilation. Why let a few rotten apples spoil a bunch, right? As I said before, it's perfect to get you into the holiday spirit. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday!!!, Oct. 29 2003
Ce commentaire est de: Now That's What I Call Christmas! (Audio CD)
This is by far the best cd I have ever listened to! It is so good, that I listen to it everyday, no matter what time of year it is.I don't think that matters. It really gives me something to look forward to each day. It really makes me feel better f I'm having a bad day.
DISC ONE
1.The Christmas Song: I love this one. Nat King Cole's voice sounds so wonderful, I could just fall asleep peacefully.
2.White Christmas: It sounds really old, and kind of bad, but I love the lyrics.
3.Blue Christmas: Elvis is definitely still The King, and this song proves it. It's kind of short though.
4.Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas: FRANKIE!!!! Frank Sinatra has an OUTSTANDING voice. This song is great to slow dance to!
5.Winter Wonderland: Who doesn't love this song? It's got a good sound, and Tony Bennett sings it well!
6.Sleigh Ride: Ella Fitzgerald was the most talented Lady Of Jazz ever, and this song sounds just great.
7.Let It Snow!: (I wish it would!)Great sound, and good voice!
8. Home For the Holidays: Sounds like the White Christmas song. Kind of old-ish. But I like the idea.
9.The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year: And it truly is! I love the instruments in this song.
10.A Holly Jolly Christmas: Good tune and lyrics are cool.
11.Rudolph,The Red-Nosed Reindeer: Everyone must know this song! I love Rudolph, and this song is so great to listen to!
12.Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer: Oh, I don't like this one! Why would a song be written about such a terrible thing? Though it is a good one to laugh at.
13.Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree: A great rock n' roll christmas song! The saxophone player is really good, and Brenda Lee has a great rock n' roll voice!
14.Jingle Bell Rock: Great christmas song, makes me think of Santa's sleigh everytime!
15.Little Saint Nick: I don't really like the beach boys,and they sing alike. And the only thing christmas-like about this song are the lyrics.
16.Merry Christmas Darling: I love this song. It's slow with a romantic christmas idea.
17.Christmas Collage: When they say collage, they mean it! It has christmas songs all sung around each other, like a collage. Get it?
18.Little Drummer Boy/Peace On Earth: Bing Crosby and David Bowie make a great duet on this piano and drum song.
DISC TWO
1.Happy Xmas(War is Over): A great song to listen to, and its good to listen to since the war is over.
2.Santa Clause Is Coming To Town: This song was recorded live at a concert a while ago, and it sounds like it! But it is a great christmas song!
3.Do They Know It's Christmas?: Ilove this song. It's so true and meaningful, and a great beat!
4.Wonderful Christmastime: Such a cool song. The lyrics are kind of weird, but all in all, a good song.
5.Our Love Is Like A Holiday: Oh, my mother loves Michael Bolton. I can see why on this song. It's a great love song for christmas.
6.It Must Have Been Ol' Santa Claus: I love listening to this song! It's sung in a child's little chrismas eve surprise!
7.Jingle Bells: Nope. This song isn't too good. Diana Krall makes it sound much different than what little kids would sing.
8.Away In A Manger: I love instrumental songs! No lyrics in a song makes it seem so beautiful!
9.Deck The Halls: Another instrumental song? Yes!! No lyrics, just the sound of a guitar!
10.Love On Layaway: A sweet song sung by Gloria Estefan. It's like christmas latina style!
11.Don't Save It All For Christmas Day: A beautiful number by Celine Dion, the woman who sang "My Heart Will Go On" from TITANIC the movie in 1997. I just love her voice. If you know how she sings, she sounds the same on this song.
12.This Christmas: Oh yeah! Joe is such an awesome r&b singer. This song reminds me of all the christmases I spent as a little girl!
13.Special Gift: Okay song. A little slow, but a good one.
14.All We Need Is Love: This song is kind of like "Where Is The Love?" by The Black Eyed Peas and Justin Timberlake, but with a Christmas twist to it.
15.My Only Wish This Year: OMIGOSH!! Britney Spears is my all-time favorite singer!! I just love this one!! It reminds of her old "...Baby One More Time" and "Oops...I Did It Again" days!
16.You Don't Have To Be Alone On Christmas: I guess they made these cds BEFORE Justin and Britney broke off their
relationship. *NSYNC sings this lovely little christmas tune.
17.O Come All Ye Faithful: A great song by Luther Vandross. I hear it every year. I hope he makes a full recovery from his stroke.
18.Silent Night: An amazing song by Boyz 2 Men. And this song is so good because there are only LYRICS, and no instruments!They sound just great!

O my goodness, I wrote so much! Well,overall this is a great double christmas cd to get.

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas Classics In One Place., Aug. 2 2003
Edward Crawford "Beatles Fan" (Randolph, MA United States) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Now That's What I Call Christmas! (Audio CD)
The first cd has many songs that are considered old "standards" of Christmas. They are songs that my (and probably many of your family as well) grandparents, parents, aunts, and uncles would play at family get togethers.
The second cd has some great songs. The rocking Santa Claus Is Coming To Town by Bruce Springsteen. The moving (if sometimes overdone) Happy XMas (War Is Over). The great pop sound of Paul Mc Cartney (I am a confessed Paul fan. Huge fan of all of his work) in Wonderful Christmas Time. The moving Band Aid song Do They Know It's Chirstmas? This particular song features Bono, Sting,members of Duran Duran, Boy George, and other luminaries on the UK rock scene when recorded in 1984. This inspired both Live Aid and We Are The World (Bob Geldof is also on the Band Aid song, and helped to write it).
From Elvis to Frank Sinatra; Gene Autry to David Bowie, Perry Como to John Lennon, Bing Crosby to Paul McCartney, Nat King Cole to Band Aid, and Dean Martin to Bruce Springsteen; this is a great multigenerational Christmas CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Now that's what I call Christmas!, Dec 28 2002
Ce commentaire est de: Now That's What I Call Christmas! (Audio CD)
I've never been one of the biggest fans of Christmas music. Every year when the local radio stations begin to play mostly Christmas songs, I usually try and find a station that's playing the usual rock music. But there's always been a few Christmas songs that I've liked a lot, and from time to time, my mood is set on listening to a few tracks from the holidays.
Now That's What I Call Christmas! has the three Christmas songs that I was looking for in a collection: "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer", "Do They Know It's Christmas?", and "Wonderful Christmastime". Once I saw that and the fact that it had just about all of the great, classic Christmas tracks that everybody should own, such as "Let It Snow!", "White Christmas", and "Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree", I knew I was going to pick up this collection as soon as I got my holiday Christmas money.
The first disc is nothing but the classics from the great artists of yesteryear, and it's easily the better of the two discs. The second disc begins in about the 80's and continues onward with songs from many of today's artists, such as Britney Spears. It (the second cd) opens up strong, with the awesome, underrated songs, but it slowly fizzles out as it keeps playing.
I have to admit that disc 2 was hit and miss for me; I liked about half of the songs and didn't like the other half. But for all of these classics and hard to find greats to be on one low-priced collection, how can you not give it a 5-star recommendation? It has more to offer than any other Christmas album to date, and it's probably the only Christmas album I'll ever get, so it's definitely worth that, 5 stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars Keep Disc One, Trash Disc Two, Dec 22 2002
David A. Lessnau (USA) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Now That's What I Call Christmas! (Audio CD)
As far as Disc two is concerned, well, it'd make a fine drink coaster. With the sole exception of "Away In A Manger - Mannheim Steamroller," everything on this disc is trash. The contrast between the first disc and the second is striking. The first disc is filled with music that *means* Christmas. The second disc is filled with music that some groups sang because their managers told them they needed a Christmas album. Those songs have nothing whatsoever to do with Christmas. There's no beauty or soul in them. One of them seemed to be about how happy some guy was because he got some [love] at Christmas time. Yuck.
Buy this for the first disc and the free drink coaster that looks like a second disc and you'll be satisfied.

5.0 out of 5 stars What an album..., Dec 14 2002
Ce commentaire est de: Now That's What I Call Christmas! (Audio CD)
A wonderful 2-disc set that covers everything from instrumentals (Mannhiem Steamroller's brilliant "Away In A Manger", Ottmar Liebert's catchy rendition of "Deck The Halls") to R&B with the Isley Brothers & The Big Yard Family, to pop product with Britney Spears, to the regular classics from Elvis, Bing Crosby, Nat King Cole, David Bowie/Bing Crosby, Carpenters, John Lennon, Beach Boys, Bobby Helms, Burl Ives, Tony Bennett and probably even more. Some of the many highlights are the highlighted cheerful instrument and vocals of the Paul McCartney track on Disc 2, Burl Ives' Rudolph animation with a nice choir vocal and endless fun on a short ditty (only 2 minutes and thirteen seconds), Bing Crosby of course, the excellent, beautiful "Little Drummer Boy/Peace On Earth" duet from the aforementioned artist and Mr. David Bowie. Elvis' rocking "Blue" christmas world, the Beach Boys' excellent, fun entry "Little Saint Nick," and Bobby Helms' rock are all other highlights on this must-buy CD set. A must-have.

5.0 out of 5 stars A labor of love, Dec 12 2002
J. L LaRegina "Jim LaRegina" (New Jersey) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Now That's What I Call Christmas! (Audio CD)
The various artists collection NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL CHRISTMAS reflects what must have been a labor of love. While compiling a "best of" album, you will never please everybody, but I can't imagine anyone finding fault with this CD's Christmas songs. NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL CHRISTMAS is worth buying just for fourteen of its 36 selections:
"The Christmas Song" - Nat King Cole
"Merry Christmas Darling" - Carpenters
"Happy Xmas" - John Lennon & Yoko Ono
"Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town" - Bruce Springsteen
"Wonderful Christmastime" - Paul McCartney
It will please fans of "Jingle Bell Rock" by Bobby Helms to know that NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL CHRISTMAS contains the hit version of the song, not the crummy re-make that has appeared on other collections.
As if all these great songs were not enough, NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL CHRISTMAS includes notes on each song. Oddly, the notes on the Beach Boys' "Little Saint Nick" say "the Beach Boys never recorded a Christmas album." Funny, my copy of NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL CHRISTMAS is right next to my copy THE BEACH BOYS' CHRISTMAS ALBUM in my CD collection.
The other minor flaw I find with NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL CHRISTMAS is placing the cornball comedy song "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer" between "Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer" and "Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree." "Grandma Got Run Over . . ." breaks the listening mood. But I guess I can program my CD player to skip that one.
But don't skip NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL CHRISTMAS.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Now That's What I Call Christmas!
Now That's What I Call Christmas! by Now That's What I Call Christmas Music (Audio CD - 2001)