5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful and relaxing
I'm not usually into this kind of music but Charlotte Church's amazingly beautiful voice makes this CD a pleasure to listen to. I find it relaxing and often listen to it while soaking in a bath. Truly a voice of an angel.
Published on July 8 2003 by Kristine

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear dear me...
Published on June 29 2004 by Adele

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear dear me..., June 29 2004
Adele (Overland Park, Kansas.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Enchantment (Audio CD)
When I first heard Charlotte Church sing she was thirteen and singing "The Last Rose of Summer". I was in awe of her voice, and the fact that she had a voice like that at a young age. However I was a bit concerned about her vocal training. She had a very uneven vibrato, which created a wobble. I kept in mind that she was only thirteen so I let it slide. Almost a year later, "Enchantment" came out. I did notice that her pushing was gone, and I also noticed that much of her shimmer was gone, that sparkle and shine sensation that she gave pieces when she sang.
Not only that, but since when is "Mien Herr Marquis" (Adele's Laughing Song) or "Habanera" appropriate for a fifteen year old girl? Most twenty year olds don't even sing them! If I went into my vocal instructor's studio and asked her if we could sing "Adele's Laughing Song or Carmen's "Habanera" she would more than likely flip her lid, meaning either die of fright or shock, or just die from the thought of a fifteen year old girl (like myself) singing the arias.
Many things where wrong about how the arias where sung. First off, you don't take a classic french aria and make it into a 'ropera' (rock opera) song, and then try to pull of shaking your (...) on Jay Leno as dancing. It just does not work.
Secondly, if you are going to sing "Adele's Laughing Song" you should have technique, lightness, and good german, not half way decent english. Being on key also helps too. I mean, singing a C sharp when the note is a high D? If you can't sing the note then don't sing the aria. Its not rocket science, its simple vocal knowledge.
The only thing that Church sings in her repertoire for this disc that is even half suited to her voice is "Carrickfergus". That song requires a Enya-like voice, something a bit on the thin (no offense) side, with a more pop tone.
By now, you are more than likely asking "if this person does not like Charlotte then why is she buying this CD?" Well, it is because of the Target version. I heard Kathleen Battle sing Massenet's "Elegie" and really loved the song and wanted to sing it for a competition, and looked for a recording of it but the only one that I could come across was Church's. I did not really want to buy the CD except maybe so I could sing my own rendition of 'Adele's Laughing Song' (my name is Adele) from hearing her rendition of the aria. I must admit I had quite a laughing fit! Church's rendition of "Elegie" was, well, to put it nicely, not all that great. The last note was pretty good, but other than that, Church pushed out F naturals and Gbs, and those notes are not that high, they are only middle voice!
There are more pieces on here then arias, there are also Broadway tunes, such as "A Bit of Earth." This song was sung with very thin tone, no phrasing, no any thing. Just a raspy voice, extremely breathy on every single note.
Finally, I must say that this CD is for die hard fans only. If you are looking to be amazed then buy Renée Fleming's new "Bel Canto" CD instead. If you are looking for an average okay CD, then buy Roberto Alagna's "Popular Tenor Arias" CD. If you want an average, not so great CD, then go for this CD. Or, buy this if you want to see what level a beginning vocal student should be singing at. This CD is okay for a choir audition demo for average-okay freshmen in high school, but not to put out on sale.

3.0 out of 5 stars She wishes..., July 26 2003
This review is from: Enchantment (Audio CD)
Ms. Church does not have the emotional or vocal range for a CD of this nature. It is bad enough to see her slaughter classical arias...but to hear her butchering my favorite musical theater songs is painful.
She has a beautiful voice, which got her the three stars I gave her. She's not trying to be Renee Fleming or Kiri Te Kanawa, for example, so I don't hold a grudge against her because she doesn't sound like them. I also like that she doesn't feel the need to show skin like Britney Spears of other pop idols. But hers is a voice that sounds the same on every single song. And, while there is a lovely selection of songs on this CD, many of them are totally wrong for her. As for the good songs, her voice was perfect for "The Flower Duet" from Lakme, for example, but Adele's Laughing Song is far out of her league technically. She does have those high notes, but she needs to refine them with her voice teacher. "Carrickfergus" and a few others were also well done.
However, what was Ms. Church thinking when she did "Habanera?" The arrangement is interesting and original, but her voice ruins the song. This aria was written for a mezzo, and the only sopranos who should sing it are the ones who have "darker" timbres, like Maria Callas. Ms. Church apparently belongs to that ever-so-annoying group of sopranos who believe that, if it's in their range, they should sing it, even if it was written for a different voice part. And "Tonight" and "Somewhere," both from "West Side Story," my second-favorite musical ever, don't work at all. While Charlotte's youthful-sounding voice is appropriate for Maria, it doesn't have any character or interest to it. "Tonight" is devoid of the rapture and urgency it needs, and Ms. Church's boring and right-off-the-page delivery robs "Somewhere" of its poignancy.
--Killashandra, soprano

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful and relaxing, July 8 2003

2.0 out of 5 stars Not enchanting at all, July 2 2003
Elizabeth (Metairie, LA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Enchantment (Audio CD)
I think that this is Charlotte's worst CD. She is singing songs from old American musicals, and I don't think that this is Charlotte's style. She doesn't have the right kind of voice to do this, which is evident in the CD. She also sings the cabanero from Carmen, and this is meant to be sung by a mature, mezzosoprano voice, not by a 16 year old soprano! She makes the song too screechy and ruins it. Charlotte is also now trying to look sexy instead of innocent. Charlotte's voice is meant for religious songs and old folk songs. She's trying to get into pop now, but it's not quite working out. I would pass this one up if I were you.

5.0 out of 5 stars What recording are the nay-sayers listening to...?, June 4 2003
goodoldmac "goodoldmac" (Charlotte, North Carolina United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Enchantment (Audio CD)
...because it can't be this one. I am breaking a long time rule of mine here, never to write a second review of anything, but always go with my first impressions, since those are the ones that most often matter. The CD is wonderful! Period. I stand by what I said in my first review about the opening song, "Tonight." It sounds to me as Church is forcing herself a bit too much here...but she more than makes up for it with the following song, "Carrickfergus." She simply nails this one. Possibly (along with two other contenders) the best song on the recording. The third song, "Habanera" is one that is going to make say "I was wrong in my first review." I didn't like it then, but there is a mysterious something that keeps bringing me back to it, and now I find myself liking the song a great deal. There is an implied sensuality to the song that gets under your skin if you give it the smallest chance. The other two songs that I think are contending for "best song" are "The Water Is Wide" and "Somewhere." "Water" is a beautiful Celtic song, (a genre in which Church's talent truly shines), and as she did with "Carrickfergus," she basicaly sets the standard for how this one should be performed. "Somewhere" is the song that sold me this CD. I heard Church perform this on the "Christmas in Washington" televison special in 2001, and although I had not been a particularly big fan of Charlotte Church up till then, I became one upon hearing this song. She get across a depth of feeling in this song that has to be heard. (If some Broadway producer needs a teenager than can truly sing, you're missing a solid bet by not checking out this young Welsh woman.)
The songs I have mentioned are not the only good ones on the recording, but to me, they are the best..."All The Pretty Horses," and "Papa, Can You Hear Me?" are excellent as well.
Don't let the negative reivews here or the worst press Church has been getting lately fool you. This girl can sing! Get this recording and LISTEN to it...Be objective and give it a fair chance. There is an old Native American saying to the effect that "listening means to hear with your heart", do this with "Enchantment" and you won't be disappointed in it..at all...

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, May 2 2003
This review is from: Enchantment (Audio CD)
Wow, Charlotte is really awesome this time!! It was even better than my fav "charlotte church and the symphony orchestra". Her songs just make u tingle and her voice make u dream. it's just so sweet. It is a must buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Beautiful, June 16 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Enchantment (Audio CD)
I love Charlotte Church. This Album just makes me love her even more. For someone of her age to be singing these songs as amazingly well as she does is phenomonal. Also, her first album was released when she was 12! How many other singers out there can actually release an album at age 12 and have it reach double platinum in about one month? Charlotte Church did, nobody else.
This album has some incredible songs on it with simply amazing orchestral accompaniments. It isn't like those crossover artists like Sara Brightman that are just annoying. Charlotte Church is one of the best singers I have ever heard. Yeah, she isn't as big as Celine Dion or Whitney Houston, but her voice is above and beyond any of those big names. Incredible!

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent...., May 15 2004
Jennie (Michigan U.S.A) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Enchantment (Audio CD)
This was decent.. and from a regular 15 year old, it would be called fantastic. Unfortentaly, Mis. Church has set high standards for herself, a reason why this c.d.'s a bit of a dissapointment. True, "The Water is Wide" "Carrifurgus", "A Bit of Earth", and "The Prayer" were all lovely, as well as other of her songs, though her range is slowly dimishing at the point when she's trying to show it off. Notes that she was able to hit easily before, are sounding now as if she is shreaking... "Can't Help Loving that Man" was a unqualifed diaster... her voice is to high and fairy like for it. Nice try, but she should stick with folk songs, and church songs, I mean, her first c.d. brought tears to my eyes, at this one I was finding myself groaning... she's still lovely though, in both voice and apperience, but she has to be careful what she sings... I think the reason this c.d. was such a big flob was because she's overtasking herself.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Didnt listen 2 the Album..., April 5 2004
This review is from: Enchantment (Audio CD)
But she gets 5 stars for being so damn fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She's like Lindsey Lohan without the annoying "acting career" to get in the way. GO CHARLOTTE!!!!!!!!!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Ick, March 17 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Enchantment (Audio CD)
Charlotte Church has neither the voice nor the depth needed for much of this material. She has no buisness trying to sing opera at age 15-- not only does it sound unpleasant, she's going to ruin her voice.
Oh, BTW, for the definitive version of "Can't help Lovin' Dat Man," check out Ella Fitzgerald's version on her "Jerome Kern Songbook." FItzgerald had no vocal training at any point during her life, but her voice is superior to almost anyone else's-- many opera singers have admired her perfect pitch and intonation (something that CC certainly does not have. ;-))

ARRAY(0xb10edc78)

Enchantment
Enchantment by Charlotte Church (Audio CD - 2001)