5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant collection of Anne's Christmas music
Published on Nov. 2 2003 by Peter Durward Harris

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing!
I expected a greater vocal range from Ms. Murray and did not care for her rendition to many of my favorites. However, this CD is easier to sing along to than many of the other recent Christmas recordings. If I had listened to this CD before purchasing it I would not have done so.
Published on Nov. 27 2002 by Sadie

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant collection of Anne's Christmas music, Nov. 2 2003
This review is from: What a Wonderful Christmas (Audio CD)
Anne recorded two seasonal albums in the eighties - Christmas wishes in 1981 and Anne Murray Christmas in 1988. This compilation contains all the tracks from those two albums except No room at the inn and Born in Bethlehem. It also contains two extra tracks, The season will never grow old and Have yourself a merry little Christmas, recorded in the early nineties for another Christmas album, plus several new tracks recorded for this album. The nineties Christmas album also included Deck the halls, Ding dong merrily on high and Jingle bells. It is a pity that those tracks (along with No room at the inn and Born in Bethlehem) were not added to this collection, but this is still a very fine collection.
The new recordings for this collection are Let it snow, O little town of Bethlehem, It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas, First Noel, Hark the herald angels sing, a medley of Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer and Frosty the snowman and a Santa medley (Jolly old Saint Nicholas, Santa Claus is coming to town, Here comes Santa Claus). These recordings make this collection desirable for those Anne Murray fans who already had her earlier Christmas releases, which are no longer in print.
Among the other classic Christmas songs that everybody knows, I particularly like her version of Silver bells, but Anne is also in top form on Joy to the world, Little drummer boy, White Christmas, It came upon the midnight clear, I'll be home for Christmas, Do you hear what I hear, O holy night, Winter wonderland, Go tell it on the mountain, The Christmas song, O come all ye faithful, Away in a manger, We three kings, Mary's boy child and Silent night.
Those classic songs are great and it's good to hear Anne sing them, but for me it is the less obvious songs that make this collection particularly special. Christmas wishes, my favorite song here, is an outstanding song that deserves to become a standard but seems destined not to be. Christmas in Killarney is an up-tempo Irish song that Anne clearly enjoys singing. Sweet little Jesus boy is a great song that will be familiar to fans of Kenny Rogers as he recorded it twice. The season will never grow old is a cover of a Rita MacNeil song.
This is a magical Christmas collection that covers all aspects of Christmas, both festive and the spiritual.

5.0 out of 5 stars A HOLIDAY MUST !, Oct. 21 2001
claude bourgeois (dieppe, nb Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: What a Wonderful Christmas (Audio CD)
AFTER THE ENORMOUS SUCCESS OF WHAT A WONDERFUL WORLD, IT WAS HARD TO IMAGINE HOW ANNE WOULD FOLLOW UP SUCH A GREAT ALBUM. WHAT A WONDERFUL CHRISTMAS SEEMS LIKE THE LOGICAL CHOICE, AND IT DOESNT DISAPPOINT. HER CLASSIC RENDITIONS OF SILENT NIGHT, O HOLY NIGHT, AWAY IN A MANGER AND JOY TO THE WORLD ARE SECOND TO NONE. THE ORIGINAL SONGS CHRISTMAS WISHES AND CHRISTMAS IS COMING CERTAINLY MAKE ANNE THE UNDISPUTED QUEEN OF CHRISTMAS. AND HER VOICE IS AS GOOD AS EVER ON THE NEW RECORDINGS. ESPECIALLY GOOD ARE LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW, HAVE YOURSELF A MERRY LITTLE CHRISTMAS, AND ITS BEGINNING TO LOOK A LOT LIKE CHRISTMAS SOUNDS LIKE VINTAGE ANNE. FOR THE KIDS, ANNE HAS A PLAYFUL RENDITION OF RUDOLPH THE RED NOSED REINDEER AND FROSTY THE SNOWMAN. THIS IS THE MOST EXTENSIVE CHRISTMAS COLLECTION ANNE HAS, AND I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT TO ANYONE THAT LOVES THE SPIRIT OF CHRISTMAS. IT WILL WARM YOUR HEART.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shining star, Oct. 29 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: What a Wonderful Christmas (Audio CD)
This new album collects almost all of Anne's Christmas recordings from today and yesterday and refashions them into a truly sparkling holiday package. All the music on this album is splendidly presented with sparkling vocals and highly varied accompaniment. Anne mixes just what you'd expect from a Christmas album with a lot you might not. She's great at taking the traditional, the surprising and the eye-winking and blending it all into a great big musical plum pudding. This album will fly off the shelves as fast as Santa's sled and become one of the biggest Christmas sellers in history. You will LOVE it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Traditional Music, Done Traditionally, Dec 31 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: What a Wonderful Christmas (Audio CD)
I've grown so tired of commercial "Christmas" music -- secular only, and interpreted by the "artist-du-jour" beyond recognition. This collection, however, was just what I hoped Anne Murray would do -- a nice blend of sacred and secular, and also done more true to the original style than I've heard in years. And, surprise of surprises, she actually sings more than the "first verse" of each song! Add Anne's fabulous voice, and I couldn't ask for more -- I won't have to turn the radio on at all, next Christmas!

5.0 out of 5 stars Anne At Her Best, Nov. 26 2002
James Fenos "music freak" (Columbus, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: What a Wonderful Christmas (Audio CD)
When Anne Murray released her boxed set a few years ago, a Best Of Chrstmas cd soon followed. While that set is very well done and comprehensive in itself, it contains all the music from her two Christmas albums and a new track recorded for a Hallmark set titled "Thank Goodness The Season Will Never Grow Old," all us fans thought that was it, no more holiday music from Anne.
This two disc set appears a few years later, a follow-up to the gospel influenced "What A Wonderful World," also a two cd set. Anne revisits her previous albums and instead of including all the tracks from her previous recordings, all of which have been remastered and featured on the previously mentioned set, she cuts a few new tracks, all of which are very well done. "The Santa Medley" is by far my favorite, Anne's warm alto graces all the verses of that children's songs medley.
Dusting off tracks from the vaults may not be original, but all the tracks fit together nicely and the resulting mastering of all these tracks make this set desirable.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's impossible to say enough about this set., Nov. 21 2002
Neal Reynolds (Indianapolis, Indiana) - See all my reviews
This review is from: What a Wonderful Christmas (Audio CD)
Okay, I always...well, almost always...try to realize that not everyone agrees with my opinion and I try to write my reviews with all listeners in mind, not just those who agree with me. Yeah, well, I apologize, but I'm not even going to try to consider that there might be people who wouldn't like this album.
Anne Murray has one of the most notably warm, clear-cut, and versatile voices around. She's capable of expressing whatever the song calls for, and she does it. There's no excessive volume, exaggerated breathiness, etc. here. She is accepted by the country music fans, but I don't think there's anyone of those who dislike country who dislike Anne Murray.
This two record set consists primarily of the traditional and familiar with some notable exceptions. However, it is the traditional and the familiar sung to perfection. The secular and spiritually based songs are interspersed rather than grouped together. And with her delivery, it works out well.
The first CD starts out with "Joy To The World", close to my favorite if not favorite rendition of this carol, concluding with "I'll Be Home for Christmas"; the second starts out with a medley of Santa songs, and concludes with "Silent Night". As I have said elsewhere, I consider her "Silent Night" easily one of the ten best recordings of the song.
If a person decided to have one and only one Christmas record (and was open to it's actually being a two record set) and asked me for my recommendation...I'm pretty sure this would be it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas Wishes, Dec 7 2003
R. J Metz (Blacksburg, VA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: What a Wonderful Christmas (Audio CD)
I have always loved Anne Murray. I have three of her albums, including this one of course. I have "Hippo in my Tub," "Croonin'" and "What a Wonderful Christmas," her Best album. She picked some great carols for this album too. For those of you that don't know, "Away in a Manger," has three melodies, and on this album she sings each verse with a different melody. My favorite song on the entire album, I'd have to say is "Christmas Wishes," I wonder if she wrote that song. In such a cruel world with racial bigotry, crime, poverty, and hunger, and polution, I very much agree with that song.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Christmas listening, Oct. 19 2001
Eric de Rooij (Loon op Zand, The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: What a Wonderful Christmas (Audio CD)
For years now I'm a big fan of Anne and allready owning her "Christmas wishes" CD, I was very excited to finally own almost all of her Christmas recordings. Anne's beautiful warm alto voice was made to sing Christmas music. It brings you instantely into the Christmas spirit with a nice mix of Christmas classics and a few less well known songs. Some songs have a nice gospel touch about them. It's just 1 and a half hour of pure listening pleasure. Anne does it again!

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing!, Nov. 27 2002
Sadie (Ventura, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: What a Wonderful Christmas (Audio CD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Anne Murray the most albums. With all her hard work!, Oct. 17 2001
This review is from: What a Wonderful Christmas (Audio CD)
I think Anne Murray does the most albums in the music industries. She sure is a hard worker. She is a real business lady. She sure has a lot of music awards. No wonder everyone loves her. And her Christmas albums are special too. Anne keep up with the good work.

What a Wonderful Christmas
What a Wonderful Christmas by Anne Murray (Audio CD - 2001)
Click for more info
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available