5.0 out of 5 stars Breezy
Published on July 6 2005 by William Mack

2.0 out of 5 stars An edition which is a dissapointment of a lifetime!
This edition of the movie is very disappointing to me. I received it as a Christmas present and have I been aware of its poor contents, I would have never wanted it. I have nothing against the movie itself, because it is a classic film which I like very much. My dissatisfaction deals with this edition.
First of all, it shows on the box everything that it contains,...
Published on Jan. 5 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars Breezy, July 6 2005
There are so few books, movies, and products that just really light a fire under my, well, you know where region. The movie COLD MOUNTAIN was one such thing. The novel THE BARK OF THE DOGWOOD was another such item. And of course, the ubiquitous and compelling classic that we all know------GONE WITH THE WIND. The first time I've seen this movie, I was fourteen years old. At that age, not many teenagers would even bother watching a classic or even adore it. It is a beautiful love story and not only that, "Gone With The Wind" shows how the civil war affected the people of the South. How the grace and beauty of the south changed dramatically. And what's great, Scarlett is the star. A head-strong woman who made it through the war with very much emotional stars but survived and beat the odds. Scarlett is a take-charge woman and doesn't let anything or anyone stand in her way. Unfortunately with that personality you have few friends and your loved ones sometimes loses their patience. LOVE AND STRUGGLE is the basis of this movie. EXTREMELY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars An edition which is a dissapointment of a lifetime!, Jan. 5 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Gone With the Wind [Import] (DVD)
First of all, it shows on the box everything that it contains, but when you open it, the material is not the quality that you expected it to be. The eight limited edition lobby card prints are in strange colours including dark pink and blue and do not in any way resemble the naturally colourful prints of the lobby cards shown on the box itself. For example, a lobby card entitled ''Scarlett O'Hara enlists the aid of Hattie McDaniel as she prepares to meet Rhett Butler.'' On this card Hattie McDaniel has a dark pink turban on her head, and all the colors are off and most of all, this lobby card was not even supposed to be in this box at all, because it is not one of the eight shown on the box flyer. This applies to all the lobby cards in this set on which all colours are very weird, and the cards do not resemble in any way the ones shown on the box flyer. This false advertising, also applies to the DVD itself, because on the paper flyer displaying the contents, the DVD cover appears to be plastic not paper like it is in reality, once you open the box. There are also six b&w photos of which three are not as sharp as the other three. Perhaps this is due to the fact that they could have used original film negatives to reproduce the last three pictures, but why enhance the quality of the first three and not the rest?
The DVD, aside from the fact that you have to flip it over to see the rest of the movie, has no sticker on the CD, which would make it nicer if there was and it is somewhat difficult to tell which side is A and which B, because the letters that label the sides are small. Furthermore, the DVD comes in a paper cover, which means that you can this exact DVD separately, without any extra things, and is available in this paper edition in most stores. I admit that the lack of special features was surprising as well, the only thing included is a movie trailer, wow, why bother listing any special features then?
The movie poster is good, except, for those of us who were hoping to hang it on a wall. There is a problem, because it is folded, and there is no way of getting rid of those folding lines, even if you tried straightening it out. Finally, the only piece of this package that is relatively satisfactory is the senitype image from the movie.
In conclusion, if this edition cost less money and you received what is in this box, knowingly, meaning the lobby cards would appear on the cover of the box, in its weird colours, exactly what they look like once you open the box, there would be no need to complain, because you would get what you are shown and hopefully for the right amount of money too. Of course for the price that they want for it, if the contents were as they should be in proper colors and some additional changes were made, it would be a good buy. You can buy all those things for the same price separately and probably get a better selection of photos too, so this edition is not worth it. Trust me, wait until the studio re-releases this movie again in a better edition and one worthy of this classic film.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst item that I got here in Amazon, April 1 2014
As a regular Amazon customer, I was quite disappointed of the quality of the product that I bought. I waited for so long to buy this special edition that I was shocked to find out that the package was damage, the red velvet box was damage in three corners. The book that comes inside its torn, it almost impossible to open it without damaging more. The piece with the blu ray and DVD, when I open it the plastic that hold them just fell from the cardboard,

I never had this quality before, and I got many special edition before, but even when some of them had some damage in their package, never as horrible as this one.

definitely it will affect my decision in spending money in expensive special blu ray or DVD edition again with Amazon if they can not guarantee the quality of the product.

4.0 out of 5 stars 5 star Movie with 1 star DVD, April 25 2004
Love the movie, hated the special features. For a great movie and all you would think Warner Brothers could afford to throw in another disk, BUT NO! They had to be ignorant and make one bad package. But then again the DVD is only $14.95. But I would rather throw in $5 or $10 for some half good features.
I will finish my thoughts by saying this: Don't I don't like the movie because frankly I love it. It's the special features that ruin the disc. Still, my final review for the film is 5 stars and my final review for the features is 1 star. But altogether I give it 4 stars because we still buy movies for the film and not the features anyway.

3.0 out of 5 stars A disappointing box set, Feb. 17 2004
This review is from: Gone With the Wind [Import] (DVD)
Please note that my disappointment was in no way with "Gone With the Wind" itself, which is, as we all know, is one of the greatest movies of all time. I couldn't say anything about this wonderful film that hasn't been said already. This big, lush, box set, however, left a lot to be desired.
Let's start with the 8 original limited edition lobby card prints. They're obviously colorized, and hideously so. Mammy in a neon pink headdress? The same neon pink as the stripes on the soldier's pants at the charity bazaar? I don't think so. And excuse me, the dress Scarlett wore when she fled from Atlanta and for some time after that was lavendar, not French's mustard yellow. Nor is anyone's skin that "flesh" color, ever.
Moving on to the 6 original black and white photograph cards (and why would you print black and white photos of a beautiful color movie like this, anyway?)...I could have done a better job on my home computer, with screen captures. The pictures, which include Rhett at the bottom of the stairs seeing Scarlett for the first time, are very blurry. Even the close up of Rhett and Scarlett about to kiss (after Frank Kennedy's funeral) isn't clear.
The 35 mm film frame I received was of Rhett bidding Scarlett farewell on the road to Tara; the accompanying art graphic is very dark and muddy. I have to hold the film cell up to bright light to even see it, so forget about framing it.
The 27x40 movie poster was very nice, and I'll end up getting a frame to display it.
The DVD lists its "special features" as interactive menus and scene access; isn't that pretty much standard by now? The extras consist of a trivia game (you don't guess the answers, they'll give them to you on the next screen) and the movie trailer. That's it. One of the greatest films of all time, and that's the best you can do? What about the excellent documentary "The Making of a Legend: Gone With the Wind"? I have that on VHS and it's wonderful. That could have been added to make a two disc set.
I'd wanted "GWTW" on DVD for a long time, and instead of buying the much less expensive DVD (where I could have had a choice of standard or widescreen versions), I had to hold out for the big box set. I wonder now why I bothered.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spectacular Entertainment, July 10 2003
Amazon Customer (Dallas, Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
I have probably seen all or part of this film on more than a dozen occasions but not for several years until I recently checked it out in DVD format. The production values have never looked more vivid. The scope of the story and the scale of telling it are truly epic. The performances by Clark Gable and Leslie Howard are as impressive as ever. A number of supporting actors are first-rate. A number of scenes have retained their visual impact. And yet....I now think this highly praised film (ranked #4 by the American Film Institute among "America's Greatest Movies") has lost much of its impact.
For whatever reasons, the acting by Vivian Leigh and Olivia de Havilland now seems to me contrived. Rhett Butler's devotion to Scarlett is inexplicable. De Havilland's portrayal suggests that Melanie Hamilton is too good to be true, and therefore isn't. Thomas ("Burning Ham") Mitchell portrays Gerald O'Hara as a cartoon character. When Sidney Howard's screenplay shifts its attention to social issues, I suspect that his muse was Harriet Beecher Stowe. To an extent I did not realize before, this film glorifies (almost deifies) a way of life which justified slavery as a state's right (i.e. the ruling class's right). Even benevolent despotism is still despotism.
On the subject of entitlement, producer David O'Selznick and director Victor Fleming obviously had every right to create a film based on Margaret Mitchell's bloated and sentimental novel. If they wish to suggest in this film that to many slaves, loyalty to their owners was more important freedom from bondage, so be it. Their movie. However, as Voltaire observed, great is the enemy of the good...and, I presume to add, an even more formidable enemy of the mediocre. Gone With the Wind offers great spectacle and a few brilliant performances as well as several credible performances and an occasional chuckle. But overall, it is emphatically not the great film I once thought it was. The film hasn't changed so obviously I have.
Some may think it unfair to be critical of a film released more than 60 years ago. I respectfully submit that many films released since then have raised the standards of measurement. They have redefined what greatness is. (Most of them are on the AFI's list.) Perhaps it's unrealistic to expect an historical film lasting almost four hours (222 minutes to be exact) to hold up. Audiences which first saw it in 1939 are obviously quite different from those which see it now. Nonetheless, our nation fought one war to obtain certain inalienable rights and another was fought to ensure that the same rights are extended to everyone in our nation. Any film which claims to portray American history must be subject to the same scrutiny which a book would be if making the same claim. As for matters of aesthetics, judgment is necessarily much more subjective. For reasons indicated, I think that Gone With the Wind offers neither circumspect history nor great art but will always be praised (and rightly) so as spectacular entertainment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth Another Look for this Fan of Classic Film, July 5 2004
Gone with the Wind creates many strong opinions, but I daresay many of them by people who haven't seen the film, or at least not in many years. It is sort of an amalgamation of both Margaret Mitchell's book and a reworking of DW Griffith's even more controversial silent blockbuster Birth of a Nation.
I had written this off as a silly commercialized Hollywood fairly tale but recently decided to give it another look. Basically, I think the claims of racism are far overblown, especially compared to other films of this era. It seems to me that Selznick and company went to great pains to stamp out the more overtly racist themes of Griffith's famous 1915 film. For instance, Scarlett's attempted rapists were all white; real black actors have menial but still important roles; those black actors are treated with dignity and respect; and finally the "n" word probably more frequent in southern parlance of the day was replaced with the more delicate term of "darky", and never used in a scornful fashion. And while establishment opinion in the North still clings to belief that the Civil War was a most noble and unselfish effort, the truth was something much less certain. Surely slaves in the prewar South were not all treated as gingerly as in this film; but just as certainly they were also brutally repressed in the North as well (just watch Gangs of New York for a history lesson on Northern feelings towards African Americans). All wars have a side people would rather forget, and this one was certainly no different. Also on the positive side, the film does a good job of capturing this broad historic period with smart scenes amidst well designed sets. It's really quite a grand production, in color no less, with a marvelous historical and cinematic scope.
On the less positive side, the heralded performances I think are a bit overrated. Clark Gable's presence helps considerably, but he is certainly not nearly as natural or comfortable as he was in It Happened One Night. And Mitchell's sappy, soap operaesque story frequently slips nearly into the preposterous, especially in latter scenes of the film when the historic takes a back seat to the dramatic. But maybe that's what gave the film its broad appeal, as it has a little of something for everyone. I think another factor may have really launched its success: released during the cold winter of 1939, its four-hour sitting time gave depression-weary Americans a warm night on the town for a cheap price that they could all afford.
Regarding the standard edition DVD, its very serviceable but the extras are appallingly poor for a film of this esteemed history. Also, Spanish subtitles would have been nice (only has English and French).

5.0 out of 5 stars THE EPIC OF ALL EPICS, June 13 2004
adriana "alisa" (Los Angeles,CA,USA) - See all my reviews
Gone With The Wind is one of my favorite films OF ALL TIME. No matter how many times I watch it, I find myself engulfed,overwhelmed,moved to tears, chilled to the bone, and amazed at the pure marvelousness of the entire thing.EVERY FREAKING TIME.
The acting is BRILLIANT from absolutely everyone.That's right, not a single performance is anything less than awe-inspiring.From Vivian Leigh as fearless and strong-willed Southern belle Scarlett O'Hara, to Clark Gable(WHY DIDN'T HE WIN THE OSCAR???????!!!?????) as the ultimate "non-gentleman" Rhett Butler, to Leslie Howard as the gentle,but slightly weak-minded Ashley Wilkes, to Olivia De Havilland as the deeply humane, and physically weak Melanie Hamilton.And, who could forget Hattie McDaniel as the feisty Mammie?THIS IS SIMPLY ONE OF THE BEST CASTS OF ALL TIME, OR DAY I SAY THE BEST????Every performance, is, I repeat, a testament to the power of acting.
The dialogue is so damn good every time-and every scene stands out in my mind as a piece of cinematic history.And to those idiots who think that Scarlett O'Hara was a "bad,selfish" person, I could just spit on you.Here is a woman who had enough spirit and bravery to go against a society of pampered Southerners, a woman who fought with her sweat and blood to keep her family's plantation, a woman who rose after every war, ever obstacle, a woman who waded through burning cannons with a pregnant woman and a baby on her own-and you call her a bad person? Maybe she was selfish, but perhaps it was this selfishness that let her see that the important things in life weren't a good repuatation, or nice hands, but honor, and family, and the well-being of loved ones. She might have acted like a spoiled brat, but her fearless actions contradicted whatever egotism she may've shown through her words.
I don't care who you are, where you're from, if your favorite movie is the matrix, I DONT CARE, this is a film that, if there ever was one, can be loved by ever single living and breathing soul.In this three hours lies a treat drenched in truth about the (corny as this may sound, its true!) endurance of the human spirit, the ties which bind human beings,and simply life-what it can bring, what it can take away, and what it can retain.Watch this absolutely timeless masterwork and relish in the power of the incredible acting, the brilliance of the dialogue,each and every scene which results in a film which is by turns witty, smart,weary, romantic, tragic,epic-ally moving and spine chilling.Brilliant beyond all words-and an asbolute masterwork which has already gone down, and will continue being known as one of the cinema's greatest pieces of art.

2.0 out of 5 stars Why no "Special Edition"?, Aug. 8 2003
S. Young (Boston, MA USA) - See all my reviews
GWTW is my absolute, all-time favorite movie. I've seen it so many times I've lost count (and many of those were at movie theaters.) I've wanted to own this DVD since the first day I got a DVD player. I absolutely refuse, however, to buy this stripped down edition. One of the most celebrated movies of all-time and there are no "special features" or "extras" on the DVD? Surely I'm not the only one who feels this way.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's always time for Gone With The Wind..., Oct. 9 2014
Simon Bergeron - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Review:
What's not to like about this classic? Most if not all drama/period love story owes a debt to this incredible effort. Back in those days, color films were rare and so this was a great feat that was surmounted. The acting is superb (for the time, of course), the set design is impeccable (even to this day), the photography is breathtaking (most of the time) and there is a true sincerity that seems attached with the project and the overall feeling. Gone With The Wind. There really isn't much to say that hasn't already been said over the years, save for one's own appreciation. And my appreciation is this: it was time for me to plunge into this classic and I didn't regret the time (and money) invested into it.

Film:
Adapted from Margaret Mitchell's Pulitzer Prize-winning novel, this dazzling epic stars Vivien Leigh as the tempestuous Scarlett O'Hara and Clark Gable as the dashing Rhett Butler. Forever linked by passion and separated by pride and self-delusion, these unforgettable screen lovers bring Mitchell's immortal saga vividly to life, set against the stunning backdrop of a time and place forever "Gone With the Wind". (taken from Blu-ray.com)

Audio:
Original mono track, TrueHD mix, you have a good choice to pick from and all sound wonderful. The HD mix does sound a bit more recent and the mono track delivers perfectly with a sweet touch of oldie (like watching TV at your grandmother's place).

Video:
This catalog title has been taken VERY seriously. The restauration here is quite an improvement over any previous efforts to date. It's rich, complex, detailed and leaves VERY few to desire. It is one marvellous transfer that remains, in my mind, as one of the better transfers Blu-ray has to offer.

Extras:
Oh boy. They really opened the barn on this one... Documentaries, featurettes, interviews, retrospectives, tests, commentaries, you name it, this boxed set has it in aces. There's hardly any complain on my part since Warner did such a wonderful job at putting together a most wonderful set of extras that will use many hours of your time to go through. There's even a fourth disc which comprises of Max Steiner's most memorable music cues.

Update: There is a 75th anniversary edition that continues the more recent Warner "anniversary" boxes with a few good paper material such as a book and a few more featurettes, but it is comprised of almost 90% of the same supplemental package.

Gone With the Wind [Import]
Gone With the Wind [Import] by Victor Fleming (DVD - 2001)
Used & New from: CDN$ 86.78