5.0 out of 5 stars A very nice album...
I've been a very serious fan of hers all these years so I realize my opinion is too compromised...anyways...I believe this album to be a must have for all of us. It's a nice choice for music consumers. She never fails amaizing me...
For other Streisand fans here is my adress igco.grm@infomed.sld.cu
You hit it again Babs!!!
Published on Feb. 21 2004 by Nach

3.0 out of 5 stars Christmas Memories shouldn't be this dull!
I was looking forward to hearing this album, as it seemed to have a good selection of songs. I'm a sucker for xmas music and I loved her first holiday recording. I was disappointed though, and have only listened to the CD once. As Babs has gotten older, she's also gotten boring. Too much of her legendary perfectionism (and over-arranging) has wrung any passion or...
Published on July 17 2002 by Zephemera

3.0 out of 5 stars BEG TO DIFFER......, April 3 2003
This review is from: Christmas Memories (Audio CD)
Hmmm... Don't understand what anyone would have against the concept of UNITY and the idea of us all being under ONE God in one of the reviews here. I personally stated that I didn't expect 2 religious type songs on what was supposed to be a "pop" album about Christmas, but since they are there, I think the idea of our all being "One", and not separated should be even more enforced.... not RESENTED even in a song... as seemed to be the case....

And yes, I do agree if one wants a more religious Christmas album, that they SHOULD look elsewhere as was suggested. Anyone who would pick up this collection of songs instead, would be forewarned just by reading the list of songs, and reviews and promos, so why resent that there aren't MORE religion oriented songs! I knew I was going to be stuck with two of them before even having the album, but to expect even MORE songs like that on an album that isn't being offered as such a genre, is irrational...

Now, Off the beaten path for a moment.... Does anyone recall Barbra in her Timeless concert making an intro to the song "Alfie" about having sat in a car hearing it being sung by a female artist, and finding it a lovely song, wondering why she never recorded it..... then later when investigating, found that it WAS she herself singing that very song on the car radio. Does anyone find that insincere and ingenious. HOW can anyone not recognize their own voice.... especially a PROFESSIONAL SINGER, and one of this magnitude, whom everyone in the entire WORLD can instantly identify by just her first few notes! Just a little fib conjured up by her writers, perhaps? One large strike against Barbra which insults the public's intelligence in expecting us to have believed such a story.

5.0 out of 5 stars REALLY BRINGS BACK XMAS MEMORIES!, Jan. 30 2003
This review is from: Christmas Memories (Audio CD)
I bought this cd when my former boyfriend was visiting me here in milan during Christmas time 2001.
I thought it would have been nice having a christmas songs compilation to listen to and to fit the moment.
Turns out on this package there are not many conventional christmas songs i know of (they mostly appear on her first holiday season's album, but i'd find that later on).
Even more so, this album has become a true memories-filled CD whenever i take a listen to it these days.
I'LL BE HOME FOR CHRISTMAS is the sweetest tune off the album, you won't help but snuggling closer to each other on the couch as soon as the melody strikes...
IT MUST HAVE BEEN THE MISTLETOE is truly a Christmas uptempo, if ever there was a definition like that.
We listened to it while a raging snowstorm was going on outside our bedroom window...and we really did have a snowball fight on the following day...so much for an inspirational song!
CLOSER and ONE are the two previously unreleased track of this set.
They both have very deep, meaningful lyrics and a gentle melody.
You will be falling in love with the piano background of the former.
Despite my reasons of liking this album, i do believe all of you will find reasons to like it as well..

5.0 out of 5 stars A Romantic Christmas, Dec 30 2002
James Fenos "music freak" (Columbus, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Christmas Memories (Audio CD)
This follow up to Barbra's first Christmas album comes years later, 34 years after the first one. A lot has changed here, Barbra's voice is more burnished, the album richly orchestrated, the theme here romance. The songs are not all traditional, one song, "I Remember," is a Stephen Sondheim song slightly re-written for Barbra to fit the theme of the holidays. The production of this album feels almost "superficial" and Barbra's vocal a little distant, as if to suggest a routine album. Even the non secular "Ave Maria" sounds a bit like a love song. Overall, Barbra's vocal is pretty but careful, the arrangements big but not bombastic, a nice, smooth album to have as background to a romantic dinner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Triumph for Streisand!, Dec 26 2002
pabigjohn (HARRISBURG, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Christmas Memories (Audio CD)
First, the material! This Christmas album is not the same old rehashed Christmas material that we have heard many other singers sing over our lifetime. One can only hear so many versons of 'Frosty the Snowman' etc. Christmas memories is new and fresh and makes one think of the Christmases past where we, as children, would look out the windows and watch the snow falling and savor the smells emanating from the kitchen. It takes one to a more peaceful and secure time of ones life.
Second, is the voice! Streisand's voice is like a well tuned instrument; one that doesn't age. The notes are so pure and golden and one can sense that she is living in the moment. It takes the listener on a journey to another time and place as one can picture the words and relive the feelings that she is conveying in her music. It seems that she is singing to just you and you alone.
Thirdly, this album of music is timeless. Streisand continues to break new ground. She is never one to follow, but takes the lead. This album, like the singer, is eternal. Sit back, relax, and go along for the ride. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Christmas, Dec 18 2002
This review is from: Christmas Memories (Audio CD)
Barbra Streisand's newest Christmas album CHRISTMAS MEMORIES is a must have. Never has she sounded this good. The production is top notch. Her voice is pristine and focused on the material. She has chosen some truly memorable music that fans of Streisand are sure to love. She sings many classics such as "I'll Be Home For Christmas", "It Must Have Been The Mistletoe", "What Are You Doing New Years Eve" and more. As well we have new songs that are bound to become classics, like "Closer", a beautiful song about missing someone who is not with you at Christmas. Her rendition of "Ave Maria" is nothing short of amazing", and the closing "One God" is another beautiful track. Barbra truly shines on this album, so get this album, sit by the fire with some popcorn and wine, and just enjoy the beauty of this music as it fills your heart with Christmas joy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Babs strikes again!, Dec 13 2002
Patrick Colvin "patsythesquire" (Duluth, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Christmas Memories (Audio CD)
Admittedly, those who are not already fans of Ms Streisand will not agree with me, so you individuals may scroll down to the next review.
I think this is one of her best albums to date. With the possible exception of the Ave Maria (generally speaking, I don't like pop treatments of sacred classical arias, especially ones I've sung myself), each song in this album is a testament to Ms Streisands perfectionism. Arrangements are clever, orchestrations stirring, variety in abundance, and vocals (as always) powerful and moving.
Barbra Streisand sings with so much energy, care, and appreciation for music that I cannot feel anything but joy when I hear this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Christmas Treasure, Nov. 26 2002
D. W. Vorster (Sandton, Gauteng, South Africa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Christmas Memories (Audio CD)
Get this CD to complete your Christmas collection. Barbra is sounding great for her age - what a legend !!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional, Nov. 25 2002
Patrick Reilly (Ottawa Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Christmas Memories (Audio CD)
With so many Christmas albums to choose from and essentially all of them singing the same songs...this one is an original. I was pleasantly suprised at how impressive it sounds...and who sounds better than Barbra?

5.0 out of 5 stars Superlative music, Oct. 29 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Christmas Memories (Audio CD)
A year has passed since this album was first released. I pulled it off the shelf the other day, after retiring it last January, and with the chill in the air, thought I'd give it a listen. There is no doubt in my mind that this is a latter career highlight for Streisand, perhaps not as instantly commercial as her pop peaks, but resonant and memorable nonetheless. Her singing is darker in tone, mature, sensual and passionate, and the material is pretty much up to the standard of singing with "I Remember," "Snowbound," "It Must Have Been Mistletoe," "One God" and "What Are You Doing New Year's Eve" standing out as the best of the best. This has not been the case on her recent albums, in which the material was too erratic to support the maturation of the singer. (Also, this is the first Streisand album in years NOT to contain a duet, and it is a welcome decision. The singer and songs are magic enough.) The album is meant to evoke the holidays - for one and all - and is not about Christams in the strict religious sense, but rather a time of year that that is nostalgic, romantic, caring and spiritual. Whatever the perspective, if you are a devotee of great singing and sophisticated orchestrations, this is an essential recording -- and one that bodes well for future albums of new material from Streisand.

2.0 out of 5 stars Shouldn't be categorized as Christmas music, Oct. 17 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Christmas Memories (Audio CD)
Other than the use of the word "Christmas" in the title and a few of the lyrics, and possibly because the winter season is a topic in some songs, there's nothing about this CD that would cause me to relate this CD to Christmas music. I love Christmas music, but I'm oh so weary of the same songs on every one of them. That's why I bought this CD -- I thought it would be some new songs, plus, Barbara Streisand singing them. Her voice is nice...

Christmas Memories
Christmas Memories by Barbra Streisand (Audio CD - 2001)