5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas Memories: A Great Holiday Album.
From the opening bars of "I'll Be Home for Christmas" to the final spirited note of "One God", Christmas Memories is a great gift for the holiday season. It covers themes we associate with this period in a mix of traditional and contemporary tunes that have both a lightness of mood and serious reflection. Of course they also have the unmistakable voice of Barbra...
Published on Dec 28 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Christmas Memories shouldn't be this dull!
I was looking forward to hearing this album, as it seemed to have a good selection of songs. I'm a sucker for xmas music and I loved her first holiday recording. I was disappointed though, and have only listened to the CD once. As Babs has gotten older, she's also gotten boring. Too much of her legendary perfectionism (and over-arranging) has wrung any passion or...
Published on July 17 2002 by Zephemera

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Christmas, Dec 17 2002
This review is from: Christmas Memories (Audio CD)
Barbra Streisand's newest Christmas album CHRISTMAS MEMORIES is a must have. Never has she sounded this good. The production is top notch. Her voice is pristine and focused on the material. She has chosen some truly memorable music that fans of Streisand are sure to love. She sings many classics such as "I'll Be Home For Christmas", "It Must Have Been The Mistletoe", "What Are You Doing New Years Eve" and more. As well we have new songs that are bound to become classics, like "Closer", a beautiful song about missing someone who is not with you at Christmas. Her rendition of "Ave Maria" is nothing short of amazing", and the closing "One God" is another beautiful track. Barbra truly shines on this album, so get this album, sit by the fire with some popcorn and wine, and just enjoy the beauty of this music as it fills your heart with Christmas joy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Romantic Christmas, Dec 30 2002
James Fenos "music freak" (Columbus, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Christmas Memories (Audio CD)
This follow up to Barbra's first Christmas album comes years later, 34 years after the first one. A lot has changed here, Barbra's voice is more burnished, the album richly orchestrated, the theme here romance. The songs are not all traditional, one song, "I Remember," is a Stephen Sondheim song slightly re-written for Barbra to fit the theme of the holidays. The production of this album feels almost "superficial" and Barbra's vocal a little distant, as if to suggest a routine album. Even the non secular "Ave Maria" sounds a bit like a love song. Overall, Barbra's vocal is pretty but careful, the arrangements big but not bombastic, a nice, smooth album to have as background to a romantic dinner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Babs strikes again!, Dec 13 2002
Patrick Colvin "patsythesquire" (Duluth, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Christmas Memories (Audio CD)
Admittedly, those who are not already fans of Ms Streisand will not agree with me, so you individuals may scroll down to the next review.
I think this is one of her best albums to date. With the possible exception of the Ave Maria (generally speaking, I don't like pop treatments of sacred classical arias, especially ones I've sung myself), each song in this album is a testament to Ms Streisands perfectionism. Arrangements are clever, orchestrations stirring, variety in abundance, and vocals (as always) powerful and moving.
Barbra Streisand sings with so much energy, care, and appreciation for music that I cannot feel anything but joy when I hear this album.

3.0 out of 5 stars Jingle Tills ......., April 19 2004
D. Macdonald (Johannesburg - South Africa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Christmas Memories (Audio CD)
In a market where most every Yuletide recording covers the same old tracks (don't they write new Christmas songs anymore?) I was pleased to see Barbra finally found some new things to say (sing). Having loved the mix of good cheer, whacky humour and sacred sentiment on the earlier "A Christmas Album" I forgot how seriously the 'born in Madagascar, raised in Rangoon' artist is taking herself and her craft these days. The result is a commercial Christmas memory (one I don't share), sung with greater depth and vocal maturity but more with an eye on the cash till and less on the yule log or manger, than before.

1.0 out of 5 stars Weird, Dec 23 2003
This review is from: Christmas Memories (Audio CD)
I don't know if the below story is true or not, but either way that is some sad stuff. Of course, I don't know why he waited until she sang about baking cookies. Granted that's lame, but I would leave somebody the second they put on a Streisand CD.
And how the heck does she have "Christmas" memories???? Did she take a break from spouting her incredibly ignorant political views to realize that a holiday was going on?
As a previous reviewer mentioned, having a Jewish person record a Christmas CD, especially one titled "Christmas Memories" just seems a little weird.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Gift !!, May 30 2002
David A. Preiser "Mannequin Man" (Tacoma, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Christmas Memories (Audio CD)
This Is A Wonderful Gift From Barbra To Her Fans! She Sounds Great!! My Favorite Songs Are "I REMEMBER" Beautifully Haunting. "SNOWBOUND" Lush & Romantic. "IT MUST HAVE BEEN THE MISTLETOE" Fun,Fun,Fun. "CHRISTMAS LULLABY" Pure Magic Written By Ann Hampton Callaway. "CHRISTMAS MEM'RIES" An All-Time Favorite Barbra Recording. Also The Last Three Tracks Are Beautiful & Moving!! A Loving Gift From A National Treasure To Her Fans!! Thank You Barbra!! A Fan Forever-David

2.0 out of 5 stars Shouldn't be categorized as Christmas music, Oct. 17 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Christmas Memories (Audio CD)
Other than the use of the word "Christmas" in the title and a few of the lyrics, and possibly because the winter season is a topic in some songs, there's nothing about this CD that would cause me to relate this CD to Christmas music. I love Christmas music, but I'm oh so weary of the same songs on every one of them. That's why I bought this CD -- I thought it would be some new songs, plus, Barbara Streisand singing them. Her voice is nice...

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Christmas album!, Dec 25 2003
Ashley (seguin, tx usa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Christmas Memories (Audio CD)
I must say that this is a beautiful Christmas album from Barbra Streisand. I love her music and her! She's one of my favorite singers behind Céline Dion. I received this as a Christmas gift this year, from my Mom and I'm glad she got it for me! And I think every Barbra fan or just a fan of Xmas music should have this, and this is a wonderful Xmas gift for anybody! I reccomend this CD to anyone! :)

3.0 out of 5 stars I guess no one can resist the Christmas spirit, Oct. 17 2002
This review is from: Christmas Memories (Audio CD)
Well, I guess it is a compliment of sorts when the Christmas spirit is so infectious that even non-Christians such as Barbra Streisand and Neil Diamond can't resist releasing Christmas music for the holidays! Unfortunately, this album is more Streisand than Christmas. It lacks that special mood that makes a holiday album a traditional favorite. Only for fans who have to have everything she made.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very nice album..., Feb. 21 2004
This review is from: Christmas Memories (Audio CD)
I've been a very serious fan of hers all these years so I realize my opinion is too compromised...anyways...I believe this album to be a must have for all of us. It's a nice choice for music consumers. She never fails amaizing me...
For other Streisand fans here is my adress igco.grm@infomed.sld.cu
You hit it again Babs!!!

Christmas Memories
Christmas Memories by Barbra Streisand (Audio CD - 2001)