5.0 out of 5 stars Favourite movie of all time!
This is a compelling movie of Sir Arthur - but told from the eyes of the women in his life. Never before have you seen a movie like this! I guarantee you will love it!
Published 3 months ago by Pat Chopik

1.0 out of 5 stars This Movie Shouldn't Be Named "Mists of Avalon"
Published on Oct. 26 2004 by Miko

1.0 out of 5 stars This Movie Shouldn't Be Named "Mists of Avalon", Oct. 26 2004
Miko (Guildford, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mists of Avalon (Widescreen) (DVD)
If you've read the book, I cannot imagine you enjoying this movie. It changed the characters and the characterization in the book is what made it so enthralling. Physically, the movie takes the two-dimensional words from the book and makes them three-dimensional by putting them on-screen; metaphorically, the book is three-dimensional while the screen version of the story lacks such depth that I would feel generous in calling it even two-dimensional. I reiterate: if you've read the book, I cannot imagine you enjoying this movie; if you have not read the book, buy it and enjoy the Mists of Avalon not the movie that stole its name.

5.0 out of 5 stars Favourite movie of all time!, March 28 2014

1.0 out of 5 stars So boring I couldn't watch the whole thing, Feb. 9 2013
This review is from: Mists of Avalon (DVD)
the narration was painfully monotone, perhaps in attempts to portray objectivity. The acting was dispassionate and the directing was clumsy

5.0 out of 5 stars Merlin and Arthur another viewpoint, Aug. 8 2009
Marianna Eros "Miriam" (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mists of Avalon (Widescreen) (DVD)
We have heard historian's point of view. This is from the Ladies side.
Interesting turn on how things happened. Great acting in wonderful places. Wish there was a sequel or that it had been longer.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of a kind, July 1 2009
This review is from: Mists of Avalon (Widescreen) (DVD)
I have loved the books of Marion Zimmer Bradley and her take on King Arthur story. I am not a buyer of DVD, cause I don't really like to watch movie over and over again, but this movie is one the exceptions in DVD I would purchase because I loved it so much. The scenery, the actress and the story enchanted me and makes a light and nice movie to see and show others who haven't see it yet. Good Purchase!

4.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting, July 14 2004
This review is from: Mists of Avalon (Widescreen) (DVD)
I haven't read the book. I watched this movie without any expectations whatsoever, or any knowledge of the plot. Honestly, I didn't even know it was about the legend of King Arthur.
The movie was far better than any of the other Arthur films I have watched. It surpasses Merlin in terms of believability, Camelot in terms of maturity, and almost equals Excalibur. Julienna Marguiles portrays a very convincing Morgaine. The whole story is told from her point of view, and indeed it was a gorgeous retelling. For once, we are given the refreshing view that Morganne was humane, and good. We are given new explanations for the incest between Arthur and Morganne, as well as the blackness of Mordred's character, which is now blamed on Morganne's aunt, Morgause.
What intrigued me about the movie was the portrayal of the Pagan and Christian society, and most interestingly, about how the Pagan goddess still lives on as the Virgin Mary (I still find that interesting, although I don't quite agree with it). Certain things, like having Excalibur return to the goddess and fading off into the silhoette of the Christian cross puzzles me a little to what the symbolic meaning behind it implies. This intermingling of both religions - the link established wasn't as clear as it should have been.
Beautiful performances from Anjelica Huston (The Lady of the Lake), and Joan Allen (Morgause). I didn't really think that Samantha Mathis was suitable to play Guinevere (she didn't really look the part, nor act the part)... and Michael Vartan surprisingly pulled off the part of Lancelot well (Franco Nero is by far one of the most atrocious Lancelots ever). Hans Matheson (Mordred), a relatively new actor, does a better job here than what he did in Les Miserables.
A good cast, and a good movie. I found it a little controversial, and at times slightly disturbing, but it keeps the mystery and intrigue surrounding Avalon as palpable as ever.

2.0 out of 5 stars Tremendously disappointing, July 7 2004
This review is from: Mists of Avalon (Widescreen) (DVD)
I was glad to hear that someone was making a miniseries of this, and Juliana Margulies seemed like an excellent choice for Morgaine. Unfortunately, the finished production did not live up to expectations. The book dealt not only with the legend through the eyes of women, but with the clash of cultures. The movie paid lip service to this theme, but didn't really grapple with adequately. I don't think I watched it all the way through.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical and Mystical Experience, June 26 2004
This review is from: Mists of Avalon (Widescreen) (DVD)
Yes, I have read the book, and while there are some differences between the film and the book, the most important parts of the story are in the movie. The actors and the rest of the crew did a brilliant job of bringing the magic and suspense to the screen. The music was beautiful and perfect for the movie and the setting is visually stunning. If you're not too picky about details, you should enjoy the movie whether you've read the book or not.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good Summary/Introduction to An Excellent Book, June 17 2004
This review is from: Mists of Avalon (Widescreen) (DVD)
I think the titles says it all. At about four hours or so this movie adaptation really is just grazing the top of what is covered in the book. The acting is excellent and everyone does a great job. The cinammetography is really good to. But they really shortened it up, took a lot of important stuff out, and took some liberties...such as Uther didn't build Camelot and Margana Le Fey new that she slept with her brother Arthur the day after the Beltane Fires not like years later. Plus, Guinevere (Gwenwyfar, or something in the book) was as much of a total freaking b*%^^%ch in the movie as in the book. You want her to be killed at the stake or something. MMMMM steak,,,,
Anyways, freaking fun and good movie. But read the book and the prequels. Bradley created a wonderful translantion of a classic classic.

1.0 out of 5 stars Well..., May 20 2004
This review is from: Mists of Avalon (Widescreen) (DVD)
On it's own, I think it would be a decent movie. However, for people like myself who have read and adored the book, it was a horrible disappointment. It skipped almost everything that is wonderful about the book. At times I found myself wondering if the filmmakers had even read the book. =/

Mists of Avalon (Widescreen)
Mists of Avalon (Widescreen) by Uli Edel (DVD - 2001)
CDN$ 18.70 CDN$ 14.99