4.0 out of 5 stars Wow

Published on April 10 2002

4.0 out of 5 stars Wow, March 24 2002
Eric (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oops I Did It Again (Audio CD)
I had begrudgingly went to an emo concert. It was free after all, and since my friends weren't willing to go, I felt it was better than sitting home watching television. Truth is, I'm somewhat allergic to emo rock. I'm glad I did go however because for the very opening act - a single person took the stage. A white goofy looking kid, who started rhyming over laptop beats. I initially groaned in horror. Another MC Paul Barman trying to impress indie emo kids who probably buy one hip-hop album every blue moon. But as I listened, I thought, "He's not a horrible MC, but he's not great either." But one thing was sure, the beats were inventive and complex, and by the end of the act, this guy who had called himself Cex had caught my attention. I dug out the [$$$] and bought "Oops, I Did It Again". As I listened to it on the way home, it suddenly started feeling like a very well spent [$$$]. First off, he left off his rhyming and it's more of an "IDM" electronica album than a hip-hop album. Some very creative stuff: guitars, rhythmic glitch pop, hilarious skits. Cex is definitely one of those discoveries, that you'll be rooting for.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fabulous sophomore disc..., Jan. 2 2002
Nathan Dorr (Brunswick, ME USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oops I Did It Again (Audio CD)
The Tigerbeat6 label is suddenly pushing its way to the forfront of American electronic music, and that fact almost certainly owes in part to the efforts of co-founder Rjyan Kidwell aka cex. With an album like this, it's easy to see why. After a rather unexpcted near-acappella start the album kicks into high gear with "Eleven Million Dollars Worth Of Bearer Bonds", a gorgeously intricate, unrelentingly powerful, and unflinchingly melodic IDM track that clearly showcases his progress from earlier efforts. From there, the album ranges from subtle ambiance a la boards of canada (First For Wounds) to harsher drillnbass more akin to new aphex twin (I Don't Think You Do Sin, Julia). But despite nods to other masters, Cex has a skill all his own and it pays off in trumps here, on a vibrant original disc which I know I'll be listening to for a long while to come.
nate
ndorr@middlebury.edu

3.0 out of 5 stars original, fun, April 10 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Oops I Did It Again (Audio CD)
Anyone whose sick of pretentious, arty electronic music will like this. Anyone who's into hip hop but wants to dig deeper into electronic music will like this. Though I still prefer his first album, this is a great follow-up, and Cex has another 2 albums coming out this year! The other reviewers have said more about this album than I could, but don't get me wrong, I love it!
Oh, and for the record, Amazon put the wrong image up for the album cover. The building falling over, that's the cover of an Electric Company album. Cex's cover is a bit wierder and more disturbing, but it's not really meant to be taken seriously.

5.0 out of 5 stars Define this please..., Aug. 19 2003
Chris Gilbert (Boise, ID) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oops I Did It Again (Audio CD)
Something between a child's prank and the next world domination scheme, Cex pulls together a more clean cut version of his widely acclaimed "Role Model" and gives birth to new versions of electronic music. This piece is well crafted and is one of those types of CD's that takes a few times after the bizarre impression that it first leaves you with to actually understand. The song "First for Wounds" is without a doubt his greatest work, and is accompanied afterward by an epilogue song which perfectly depicts it's fashion.

3.0 out of 5 stars cool, if you like school and pool, Oct. 11 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Oops I Did It Again (Audio CD)
great beats, they get a little boring sometimes. good background music and music to edit footage of your friends eating pie.

Oops I Did It Again
Oops I Did It Again by Cex (Audio CD - 2008)
Click for more info
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available