5.0 out of 5 stars A NEW ERA HAS BEGAN AND ITS MAX PAYNE

3.0 out of 5 stars good but not that good
Published on July 18 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars good but not that good, July 18 2004
By A Customer
I didnt buy this game. I borrowed it from my uncle. He said he couldn't figure out the controls. So since he wasn't ever going to play it, i decided to borrow it from him. I did not like the controls. I can't ever seem to get used to games that use both sticks, where the one on the left moves the guy forward and backward, but doesn't turn the guy left or right, he straifes, and the other one on the right makes him turn and moves the camera angle up and down. It anoyes the hell outa me. Why cant one stick be used to move the guy all around and the other has him straife and moves the camera angle.
At first I really liked this game, but one level got me to hate this game. I dont remember which one it was but it was one of the levels towards the end of the game. It was a dream with a very anoying baby crying and it was a very confusing maze I just couldn't seem to beat. That baby was so anoying, it wouldn't stop crying. So I stopped playing the game. I just gave up. My uncle kinda wanted it back by this time even though he probably wouldn't ever play it.
All in all, this game is alright, the graphics kinda stink, the blood kinda stinks, the weapons were cool, and the puzzles weren't too hard (Except for the dream, that darn baby, AHHH!!!) and i give it 3 stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars alright game, June 3 2004
Graphics 8.5/10
This isn't what counts. As it is a PS2, they could improve the characters a little, improve them like they are in Ghost Recon. There is a lot of fire in this game but no smoke. I'm wondering why we aren't suffocating. Minor flaw. the biggest problem (as well as the biggest problem in the game) is the Frame rate per minute. the FPM kind of lags a lot during gameplay, but after a while you really get used to it, and the gameplay still remains high
Gameplay 7.5/10
The only problem I have with this game is the camera and sometimes the unfair surprise of explosions, causing the game to spend about 2 minutes loading again. Otherwise the gameplay was smooth and rather fun
this game does have the tendacy to get EXTREMELY boring, so beware
Storyline 6/10
Ehhh... it's pretty much like every other PS2 game out there. You're framed for murder and you go out to seek revenge/solitude. The whole wife and baby deal comes into play a lot in this game.
the voices suck in this game, the writing is even worse. they sound like a loser i know in the seventh grade.
Controls 9.5/10
Nicely done. the trigger button is r1, which i really respect. it takes about 5 minutes until you memorize the controls completely.
Music and Sounds 6/10
the only reason i gave this section a 6 out of 10 is because of the sole reason that there IS no music during the game. but when there IS music (main menu and some cutscenes) i completely love it. it is mere piano music, but very seductive to my ears. The sounds are superior, as the gunshots sound like gunshots, there are grunts at the right time, and it sounds like you are actually really in a gunfight!
Overall 3/5
This is not a score where if you multiply it it will come to be 8/10. i would really give this game a 7.5 out of 10.
_______------------->>>>END REVIEW<<<<----------------__________

3.0 out of 5 stars Well conceived, flawed gameplay, April 16 2004
One of the most critically acclaimed and popular computer games in recent years has been the MAX PAYNE series, created by a Finland company called Remedy. The first two games were best sellers in 2001 and '03, and a third is planned for '05. Essentially a 3rd-person shooter like TOMB RAIDER, this game has a genuinely compelling atmosphere, with its dark and noirish story about hard-boiled cops and gangsters, and a well-conceived graphic-novel style cut-scenes. The first MAX PAYNE takes place entirely in one snowy night in New York City, and it has you visit diverse places and achieve various objectives. But mostly, as in many action games, you just shoot and kill whoever that is in your way.
You play the title character, an NYPD detective whose wife is murdered at home in the beginning of the game. You then go undercover and seek out various New York gangs and informants, and discover an evil conspiracy involving a deadly drug. The thick plot and stylish dialogs may be a turn-off to some, but they are obviously a homage to film noirs. In fact, the game makes references to Humphrey Bogart a few times. A nice touch is having cut-scenes shown in a graphic-novel style -- a panel of painterly still drawings with dialog balloons and voice overs. The cut-scenes can be skipped, and are always replayable by pressing F1 during gameplay.
In a game that has no multiplayer feature, the level design and A.I. for single-player become vital. The 22 levels in MAX PAYNE show great variety and challenge. You go to many different places: subway platforms, warehouses, shipyards, seedy apartments, high-rise buildings, laboratories, luxurious mansions, and even inside the dreams of the protagonist. Each level is not too large, and took me about half hour to finish. You have considerable interaction with the environment, such as the ability to break windows, break open boxes, leave bullet holes on objects, open cabinet doors, switch on appliances, flush toilets, etc. -- many of these are nothing new since HALF-LIFE in 1999 or even earlier games. Sometimes you are required to interact with something, and a big exclamation point appears above your head to remind you.
The A.I. (artificial intelligence for computer-controlled characters), however, is not the greatest. Your enemies always seem to misfire when you dive left or right to floor. They also don't move around or try to dodge your bullets often enough, making them easier to kill. Sometimes they come out of their hiding places for no reason and run straight towards you. Very often, A.I. behavior seems "scripted", with enemies running the same routes and stopping at the same way points every time you replay the scene. I have never been a fan of games with a lot of scripted A.I. (such as MEDAL OF HONOR: ALLIED ASSAULT).
In a 3rd-person action game, where you are able to see your on-screen character, movement controls become important. They have to work nicely with the gameplay and the results have to look good. Sadly, movement controls are rather limited in MAX PAYNE. Even in an old game like TOMB RAIDER, you can do all kinds of neat moves such as shimmying at the edge of a cliff, somersaulting, swimming, climbing, doing a handstand, etc. You have none of that in MAX PAYNE, which only allows you to strafe left or right, and dive left, right, or backward.
The game's designers obviously wanted to augment the movements with perhaps the game's greatest selling point: a feature called "bullet-time," which lets you move in super slow-motion for a limited time. This feature is supposedly helpful when you are greatly outnumbered in a gunfight, and it makes the game look good (a la the movie THE MATRIX). Surprisingly, I rarely needed to use bullet-time during the game! I was able to effectively dodge every bullet by simply diving left or right after every shot, even when there were 4 of 5 guys shooting at me. Also, during every dive, time seemed to slow down a little bit, essentially giving me a mini bullet-time segment.
More suspension of disbelief. Typical in action games, you just have to willingly accept the fact that you are able to carry 13 heavy weapons and still be able to move around acrobatically. (Thankfully, newer games such as FAR CRY put a limit on the number of weapons you carry.)
There are plenty of weapons at your disposal. Many of them are standard items such as pistols, shotguns, automatics, grenades, grenade launcher, sniper rifle. Strangely, I rarely had to use the sniper rifle. It was a design oversight not to create more situations for long-distance sniping, which would have made the game more fun (as in DEUS EX).
The game I bought was the unpatched, original PC version. Be sure to install the latest patch from 3D Realms' web site ( [...] ) or the game may not run on a Windows XP system. On my Pentium 2.4 GHz, with an aging GeForce4 Ti4200 graphics card, I can run the game at 1280x1024x32 with maximum details pretty smoothly at 20-50 frames a second. The game comes with, and is made for, DirectX 8. But I had no problem running it under the latest DirectX 9.0b. You may download a playable demo of the game from the above link and test your PC with it. Also, be sure your PC is compatible with the system requirements listed at [...] .

4.0 out of 5 stars In the heat this is pretty warm (true review of game), March 20 2004
By A Customer
In the heat of good games such as Madden NFL 2004, GTA Vice City, and others this is warm while others consider it fire in the heat of a good game. I'd give this a 4.7 out of 5 stars with gun fighting, blood flying, slow motion bullet time matrix-like action with a great story of Max Payne's revenge against gangsters after his kid and his wife is murdered. But be warned though...Lots of blood, and adult issues such as the first level. The first level is when Max finds his wife and baby murdered...and you can't skip the graphic parts....its well for mature gamers but is very graphic with chilling realistic comic-like transitions throughout levels. But after that first level it isn't so bad. Believe it or not it's cheesy in some parts with bad guys not even cussing (which is weird because the story is so serious). This game is fun but be warned...Only turn on cheats after you beat the game...if you do it before you beat it the game will seem repetitive...just PLAY THE GAME REGULAR WITHOUT ANY CHEATS AND BEAT IT...IT FUN THAT WAY!

4.0 out of 5 stars In the heat this is pretty warm, March 20 2004
By A Customer
In the heat of good games such as Madden NFL 2004, GTA Vice City, and others this is warm while others consider it fire in the heat of a good game. I'd give this a 4.7 out of 5 stars with gun fighting, blood flying, slow motion bullet time matrix-like action with a great story of Max Payne's revenge against gangsters after his kid and his wife is murdered. But be warned though...Lots of blood, and adult isues such as the first level. The first level is when Max fines his wife and baby murdered...and you can't skip the graphic parts....its well for mature gamers but is very graphic with chilling realistic comic-like transitions throughout levels. But after that first level it isn't so bad. Believe it or not it's cheesy in some parts with bad guys not even cussing (which is weird because the story is so serious). This game is fun but be warned...Only turn on cheats after you beat the game...if you do it before you beat it the game will seem repetitive...just PLAY THE GAME REGULAR WITHOUT ANY CHEATS AND BEAT IT...IT FUN THAT WAY!

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid Game (3.5), March 8 2004
Jose Noboa (Miami, FL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Max Payne - Xbox (Video Game)
First of all, people need to realize that many Xbox games are produced for adults, hence the warnings. Complaining about the blood in this game is understandable but keep in mind that this is an adult game. If I had a son I would not allow him to play.
With that in mind, the game is very film noir and has a pretty decent story. I do hate the voice overs however, some serious over-acting. I like the sound and the lights in the game, they complement the mood nicely.
However, I am in the minority in regards to the bullet time. For me, it doesn't go well with this game and I did not use it very often. Perhaps it got so much pub. because it's a novelty. I guess that is a matter of personal taste. I am glad the game is hard as I love a good challenge but I know some people may be turned off by it. The one thing that irked me though is that the levels seemed rather repetitive.
All in all I liked the game and I can understand why it is very popular. Simple button mashing will get you wasted in a NY minute. It's nice to see some stratgey in shooter games from time to time. :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Max Payne: Nothing to Lose, Feb. 1 2004
In one of the most innovative video games I have ever played, "Max Payne" is a exciting, gritty and extremely bloody game brought to you by Rockstar Games, makers of the violent "Grand Theft Auto" series.
You play as Max Payne, a New York undercover cop, who, after the death of his family, is framed for a murder of his superior and battles the mob, his own people and a whole lot worse. The game is really action packed. But I was somewhat confused by the storyline. I had trouble keeping up with it, by all the additional backstory and other locations Max ventures.
The climax is was a letdown. For some gamers out there, I never actually finished the game! The last level is extremely hard to finish. Rockstar Games did a fair job of developing the game. "Max Payne" has somewhat one-rate but realistic graphics. But I enjoyed the urban settings in every level. It really feels like a New York ghetto! The voice acting is pretty good, despite some misunderstandings with the characters.
I enjoyed killing all the bad guys. They become tired after a while, but that's OK. There are alot of weapons to choose from. But the most memorable sequence in this game is to use slow motion gameplay called "bullet-time". Some other guy called it "slow-down". How silly! Anyway, bullet-time cannot be used every time, since it's only use from moment to moment.
"Max Payne" is a fine game to play. Despite some flaws, it's still fun. I haven't played part 2, but I heard it's good.

5.0 out of 5 stars A NEW ERA HAS BEGAN AND ITS MAX PAYNE, Dec 15 2003
This review is from: Max Payne - Xbox (Video Game)
WHEN I SAY A NEW ERA HAS BEGAN I MEAN THE ERA OF MAX PAYNE HAS JUST BEGUN. WITH IT BEING THE ORIGINAL FOUNDER OF BULLET TIME THERE WILL BE MANY TO FOLLOW AND COPY FOR INSATNACE ENTER THE MATRIX ALREADY IS FOLLOWING IN THE PATH OF BULLET TIME .MAX PAYNE IS 100% ORIGINAL IN ALL ASPECTS AND WILL HOOK AND SINK YOU RIGHT IN ALL THE WAY TO THE ENDING CUT SCENES WHITCH TOOK ME ABOUT 10 HOURS OF GAMING THAT INCLUDING SHOPPING IN ALL AREAS THROUGHLY NOT JUST BLASTING MY WAY IN I WANTED TO SEE EVERYTHING MAX PAYNE HAD TO OFFER AND BELEIVE ME THERES PLENTY.THERE IS 3 ACTS AND SOMETHING LIKE 26 CHAPTERS TO SHOOT UP AND TONS OF BADDIES ALL THE WAY FROM THE RUSSSIAN MOB TO THE ITALIAN MOBO MENTION BEING FRAMED FOR MURDER YOU HAVE THE BOYS IN BLUE AFTER YOU.TRUST ME THERE IS ADDICTION INVOLVED IN THIS GAME YOU YOURSELF THR GAMER WILL BE ADDICTED JUST AS MUCH AS THE JUNKIES ARE TO THE DRUG CALLED VALKYR WHITCH IM NOT GONNA SPOIL THE ENDING AND TELL WHOS BEHIND THE OPERATION BUT LET ME TELL YA ITS A SURPRISE. I ONLY HOPE REMEDY AND ROCKSTAR MAKE 10 SEQUALS TO THIS GAME ITS THAT GOOD.THERE ALSO IS GREAT CINEMATIC SEQUENCES
THAT TELL THE STORY JUST LIKE AT THE MOVIES.THE GAME IS SET IN THE WORST WINTER STORM EVER AND THE SNOW EFFECTS AD TO THE GAME THE GRAPHICS ARE STATE OF THE ART AND THE WEAPONS ARE FANTASTIC
ALL IN ALL A COMPLETELY PERFECT GAME
MAX PAYNE DESERVES GAME OF THE YEAR ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Definite Platnium Hit, Nov. 29 2003
Stephanie Williams "steffy" (Silver Spring, MD) - See all my reviews
Gameplay(10/10): I thought the gameplay was excellent and very
addictive. This was the first Xbox game that I
have played so it took me about 20-30 minutes
to get use to the controllers and the buttons.
Once i got the controls down I felt sorry for
all the bad guys I came across.
Story(7/10):I totally understood the story in the beginning....
but then it started to get out of control. I didn't
figure outwhat was going on until the end of the
game. Max is an ex NYC police officer and he goes
and discovers that his wife and newborn daughter
were murdered. He goes around the city to find out
who was responsibile for his loved ones murder.
Graphics(9/10):I have a PS2 also and I bought this game for the
Xbox because the graphics looked a little more
crisp compared to the PS2.Of course the graphics
cannot top Splinter Cell or any other new games
out right now. But the graphics do satisfy.
I recommend this game for anyone who likes Grand Theft Auto...I guess it is some what similar.As long as you enjoy excellent graphics and gameplay you should enjoy this game. Maybe you can understand the story better than me!!! Hopefully Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne will live up to this game or surpass it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Get Some Bullet Time Action, Nov. 5 2003
"verdie23" (Fenton, MI USA) - See all my reviews
Wow, I have to say that when I rented this game from Blockbuster I had my doubts but I was proven wrong. This game has very repedative gameplay, all you do the whole game is shoot people but I loved every minute of it. The name of the game is shooting but it is fun. You play Max Payne a cop who came home only to find his wife and baby daughter killed by some junkies high on a designer drug called valkyr, three years after the incident the main story begins. Max sets out to find the ones responsible for creating the drug and to put a rest to his ghosts of the past but all does not go well as he is wrongfully accused of killing a fellow officer so not only is he hunted by gangs but also by the law. During the game Max will have 15 weapons at his disposal including a range of handguns, shotguns, machine guns, explosives, melee weapons, and a sniper rifle. As for the graphics well they are acceptable but I think Rockstar could have done better. The enemies AI is challenging as they take cover effectivly during gunfights and while in the beginning of the story the are not the best shooters by the third part of the game your skills are being put to the test as the enemiles take good cover and are exellent shooters. The cutscenes are done in sort of a comic book fasion whith horrible voice acting. A cool feature of the game is Max has the abilty to slow down time and do some fancy bullet dodging jumps with the Matrix effect. The average graphics and poor voice acting during cutscenes bring this game down to a 4 but the sweet in game shooting action, the slow down effects, the weapon variety, and the easy to learn controls still make it a great game. I highly recommend that you get your little hands on a copy of Max Payne and it is now at a low price of 20 dallors.

Max Payne - Xbox
Max Payne - Xbox by Rockstar Games (Xbox)
CDN$ 41.99 CDN$ 29.97