Published on June 13 2011 by Omnes

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid Game (3.5)
First of all, people need to realize that many Xbox games are produced for adults, hence the warnings. Complaining about the blood in this game is understandable but keep in mind that this is an adult game. If I had a son I would not allow him to play.
Published on March 8 2004 by Jose Noboa

5.0 out of 5 stars Dreams have a nasty habit of going bad when you're not looking, June 13 2011
Omnes - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Max Payne - Xbox (Video Game)
When Sam Lake released in 2001 his first video game, Max Payne's success was incredible. With its numerous trophies that recognized its incredible drama and writing, the dark story of a NYPD detective whose american dream is destroyed by a horrible tragedy became a classic of the video game. Filled with references from asian action movies, the Matrix and even David Lynch works (ex:Lost Highway), this action game has been adapted for the X-Box console, and also for the X Box 360 as a downloadable game on X Box Live. So far, I think the transfer to the XBox works very well. For example, the controls and the camera are easy to use and the game offers enough replay thanks to its various levels of difficulties one can select at the start of the game. Though some would complain that the level design is a little bit dated today, I disagree with them for I think that Same Lake managed to put what sometimes game designers don't put in certain great-looking video games. And by that I mean that Sam Lake put in his game an atmosphere, a tension in the story, the dialogues, its comic book cinematics and an upsetting presence in Max Payne's nightmares, essential scenes to the narration of the game.

Unlike Alan Wake, which is rated for teens, this game is definitely not for younger players for it is rated for mature audiences only. With all its drug references, dark occult cults and psychotic characters, I think this game may not be a relaxing treat for those that want to play relaxing game. I'm saying this because I read many reviews for Alan Wake where gamers were a bit upset by the atmosphere of Alan Wake. But playing a Sam Lake video game is never a comfortable ride. It is a strange and terrifying world, but it is one where you find great scripts, voice-acting, soundtrack, visuals, and most of all, excellent plots, unlike what the reviewer Bob Andrews is saying.

A great way to start for those that want to see more of Sam Lake's universe and excellent prose.

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid Game (3.5), March 8 2004
Jose Noboa (Miami, FL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Max Payne - Xbox (Video Game)
With that in mind, the game is very film noir and has a pretty decent story. I do hate the voice overs however, some serious over-acting. I like the sound and the lights in the game, they complement the mood nicely.
However, I am in the minority in regards to the bullet time. For me, it doesn't go well with this game and I did not use it very often. Perhaps it got so much pub. because it's a novelty. I guess that is a matter of personal taste. I am glad the game is hard as I love a good challenge but I know some people may be turned off by it. The one thing that irked me though is that the levels seemed rather repetitive.
All in all I liked the game and I can understand why it is very popular. Simple button mashing will get you wasted in a NY minute. It's nice to see some stratgey in shooter games from time to time. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars A NEW ERA HAS BEGAN AND ITS MAX PAYNE, Dec 15 2003
This review is from: Max Payne - Xbox (Video Game)
WHEN I SAY A NEW ERA HAS BEGAN I MEAN THE ERA OF MAX PAYNE HAS JUST BEGUN. WITH IT BEING THE ORIGINAL FOUNDER OF BULLET TIME THERE WILL BE MANY TO FOLLOW AND COPY FOR INSATNACE ENTER THE MATRIX ALREADY IS FOLLOWING IN THE PATH OF BULLET TIME .MAX PAYNE IS 100% ORIGINAL IN ALL ASPECTS AND WILL HOOK AND SINK YOU RIGHT IN ALL THE WAY TO THE ENDING CUT SCENES WHITCH TOOK ME ABOUT 10 HOURS OF GAMING THAT INCLUDING SHOPPING IN ALL AREAS THROUGHLY NOT JUST BLASTING MY WAY IN I WANTED TO SEE EVERYTHING MAX PAYNE HAD TO OFFER AND BELEIVE ME THERES PLENTY.THERE IS 3 ACTS AND SOMETHING LIKE 26 CHAPTERS TO SHOOT UP AND TONS OF BADDIES ALL THE WAY FROM THE RUSSSIAN MOB TO THE ITALIAN MOBO MENTION BEING FRAMED FOR MURDER YOU HAVE THE BOYS IN BLUE AFTER YOU.TRUST ME THERE IS ADDICTION INVOLVED IN THIS GAME YOU YOURSELF THR GAMER WILL BE ADDICTED JUST AS MUCH AS THE JUNKIES ARE TO THE DRUG CALLED VALKYR WHITCH IM NOT GONNA SPOIL THE ENDING AND TELL WHOS BEHIND THE OPERATION BUT LET ME TELL YA ITS A SURPRISE. I ONLY HOPE REMEDY AND ROCKSTAR MAKE 10 SEQUALS TO THIS GAME ITS THAT GOOD.THERE ALSO IS GREAT CINEMATIC SEQUENCES
THAT TELL THE STORY JUST LIKE AT THE MOVIES.THE GAME IS SET IN THE WORST WINTER STORM EVER AND THE SNOW EFFECTS AD TO THE GAME THE GRAPHICS ARE STATE OF THE ART AND THE WEAPONS ARE FANTASTIC
ALL IN ALL A COMPLETELY PERFECT GAME
MAX PAYNE DESERVES GAME OF THE YEAR ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Definite Platnium Hit, Nov. 29 2003
Stephanie Williams "steffy" (Silver Spring, MD) - See all my reviews
Gameplay(10/10): I thought the gameplay was excellent and very
addictive. This was the first Xbox game that I
have played so it took me about 20-30 minutes
to get use to the controllers and the buttons.
Once i got the controls down I felt sorry for
all the bad guys I came across.
Story(7/10):I totally understood the story in the beginning....
but then it started to get out of control. I didn't
figure outwhat was going on until the end of the
game. Max is an ex NYC police officer and he goes
and discovers that his wife and newborn daughter
were murdered. He goes around the city to find out
who was responsibile for his loved ones murder.
Graphics(9/10):I have a PS2 also and I bought this game for the
Xbox because the graphics looked a little more
crisp compared to the PS2.Of course the graphics
cannot top Splinter Cell or any other new games
out right now. But the graphics do satisfy.
I recommend this game for anyone who likes Grand Theft Auto...I guess it is some what similar.As long as you enjoy excellent graphics and gameplay you should enjoy this game. Maybe you can understand the story better than me!!! Hopefully Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne will live up to this game or surpass it.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Let the gun do the talking...", May 5 2003
This review is from: Max Payne - Xbox (Video Game)
I just recently bought and beat this game, and I've been asking myself, "What the hell took me so long to get this game?" My boyfriend (I'm a girl gamer) rented Max Payne when it first came out for Playstation. I watched him play it for a while, didn't understand the addiction, and didn't think anymore about it. Recently, I purchased an Xbox, and Max Payne was one of the first games I bought. From the opening scene, I was caught. Max Payne is a must for gamers who enjoy noirish style action/rpg games as opposed to fantasy-style games. It has that gritty feel to it that can actually put you in a somewhat somber mood. The storyline isn't the deepest of storylines, but it has a nice solid feel to it. He's a man on a mission; you won't forget that. You'll get an array of weapons ranging from a lead pipe to --my personal favorite-- a sniper rifle. You interact with a colorful cast of villians, but the gunplay does get repetitive.
Here are a few reasons you might not enjoy Max Payne:
- I'm a blood and gore type gamer, and while there is blood in this game, it isn't as realistic as it could be in my opinion.
- Some of the voice acting is downright awful.
- The game isn't all that challenging even on hard. (New York Minute is a different story.)
Overall, I enjoyed playing Max Payne. It filled the need to shoor stuff. If you're having a bad day, nothing's better than playing Max Payne and taking out your frustrations. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars A great game! One of Rockstars best!, May 2 2003
Carlo Dringenberg (Austin, Tx United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Max Payne - Xbox (Video Game)
First off I just want to say that this game may not be that good for gamers 12 or under, it has lots of blood and there is a lot of cussing and swearing in it.
Gameplay:
Well the gameplay is very good, the way the controller works for Xbox was made very well, like if you want to take down some enemies on the other side of the wall, and you want to do a side jump in bullet-time, all you have to do is move the left thumbstick to the left and your character will automatically strafe to the left. Then all you have to do is hit the left trigger button and you will jump to the left in bullet-time. Also if you just want to run and shoot in bullet-time, stay still and hit the left trigger or hit the white button and bullet-time will come up, and all you can just run around in bullet-time and shoot.
NOTE: The controller figuration I have, was set up by me, I'm not sure what the default controller style is.
Graphics:
For an old game, the graphics are amazing. The detail they put on the bullets are great! The walls could use a tiny bit of work, and the enemies aren't the best looking, but overall, the graphics are damn good.
Sound:
The sound is freaking great. When you are in bullet-time and you're shooting the gun, the sounds are great sounding, like when you shoot the Uzi's, the sound is very cool. And when you take yourself out of bullet-time, and time goes back to normal, the sound of it when you do is very cool sounding.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but looks dated., April 16 2003
This review is from: Max Payne - Xbox (Video Game)
I rented this last night and played it for about 6 hours straight.
I am up to Chapter 3 Level Two.
Therefore, (as the game consists of only 3 chapters), im gathering i'm near the end.
Well, i have played enough to make a comment anyways. So here goes......
This game is alot of fun. For some this may last an hour for others the whole game. I must admit that the ONLY feature that set's this apart is the use of Bullet Time, ( a matrix style feature).
This feature is the main selling point for this game and , luckly, it doesn't take long for you to get use to how to work this feature. Furthermore, the game provides alot of oppurtunties early on to use it, (including a training stage).
Also, i guess i must be more liberal in my beliefs as like horror or violent movies i tend to approach these sort of games with a bit of tongue and cheeks and maturity.
In other words, the fact that the whole premise is based around violence and the murder of a woman and her child didn't offend me as it might some other people. Might i suggest to those ppl that they stick with the more kiddy oriented games. I mean, when i get a game like this i DO expect some adult material.
With that said the actual impact of the violence is pretty cartoonish and really the only thing that gave me a bit of a 'eck' factor was seeing a lump representing a dead baby in the first few scenes of the game but still this pixal generated lump is hardly going to send me into to moral tramua.
I mean it is only a game and its meant to be hard and gritty right ?????
The game play is relatively easy and though there will be times where you will die and have to resume, the ability to Quick Save in any spot of the game allows your frustration to be left to your own skill level not the fact that every time you die you have to start from the beginning of the level again, (ALL GAMES MAKERS PLEASE TAKE NOTE OF THIS).
The two dream sequences are not that great as most have said. I enjoyed the visuals of these sequences but not the game play. I had to use a guide to work my way through the blood lined maze as i just got to point where i was sick of trying to work it out and wanted to get back to the shooting but hey maybe thats just my own frustration with my skill level coming out lol!
The controls are easy and will not take long to work out especially if you have been playing other well know game on the x box.
My major con with this game, (which others have enjoyed), is the comic book style cut-scenes. At first there amuzing but soon become tedious and i found myself just groaning when they poped up, (which is like every 10 min). I mean for ME to make such a statement is rare. I LOVE cut scenes, i really do. Im a visual person and i like to be able to have moments where i can sit back and watch a decent story unfold with good visual. A good example to me is Silent Hill 2. I played that game to GET TO the cut scenes. So for me to make a comment that these ones suck is something. Maybe im just not use to the comic book style but overall it made the game seem really out dated. Film Noir is one thing but when your playing a modern game you rarely want to see something that deliberty dates a game. Also they were just annoying.!
Overall, the game is fun and you should enjoy playing it and want to get through to the end but i would suggest hiring it first to see if its your cup of tea. I won't buy it because the cut-scenes annoy me too much and really it a linear game so once you have played it your done. If you just want to replay to use Bullet Time it may be for you but this feature alone don't warrant a purchase in my books.
Fun but a rental!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars You must get this game, March 25 2003
This review is from: Max Payne - Xbox (Video Game)
This game is amazing, its definatley one of my favorite Xbox games that I own yet. Whats so good about it, in my opinion is that it throws you into the game right away with no special training missions u must do before being able to start the real game. The controls are easy to master and the game itself is amazing. The story plot involves a cop (max payne) who had a perfect life until he came home one day and found his wife and baby murdered. After that he goes a little crazy and decides to take on the whole entire crime under-world of New York City to see who,and why soembody did this. What i like best about the villians is that in the beggining of the game the villians are just cheap, sleazy mafia people and gangsters, but once the story really starts to unfold and your plunged into wat is going on you will be taking on swat-team type villians its all cool! The graphics are very good and the bullet time feature is amazing and unlike other games that tried to do bullet time before, this one works and really makes it seem natural and sleek and stylish. So I definatley think that you should buy this or at the least rent it and im praying that they will be making a sequel soon!

4.0 out of 5 stars Immersive, fun and doable for the occasional gamer, March 24 2003
RMurray847 (Albuquerque, NM United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Max Payne - Xbox (Video Game)
If you are an obsessive gamer who spends hours a day mastering all kinds of games, then you'll be able to burn through Max Payne in pretty short order, and the replay value probably isn't very high.
However, if you only occasionally play, then this is one of the best games out there. It will take quite awhile, and it can be tricky, but you never feel like you're in totally over your head. You can save the game virtually at any point (just don't accidentally save when you were planning to load because you were about to die...I've done that once or twice!!).
The plot isn't exactly Shakespeare, but for a game, it's emmersive. The game plays out at times as though you were in a graphic novel, but mostly its a first person shooter with the added bonus of "bullet time," which is fun and certainly helps you out of more than one or two bad spots.
The game is violent, and there is some modest bad language. It feels gritty, mostly because you're shooting people instead of monsters, but it also gets you a little bit emotionally involved. Also, game play is relatively simple, so that novices can pick up the niceties of controlling Max fairly quickly. There's an excellent demo you can play to learn all the basic moves in about five minutes. The game has some atmosphere, and the sound work is top notch.
It's a classic game...just consider this fair warning to highly experienced gamers: maybe you just want to rent it. But for people like me, who don't have time or inclination to play alot, we will certainly get our money's worth, now that the game is priced under $20.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good (while it lasts...), March 23 2003
Benjamin (Richmond Hill, Ontario) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Max Payne - Xbox (Video Game)
Max Payne is definately a worth while experience. Though the graphics now seem dated to games like Splinter Cell, the gameplay and bullet-time are soooooo much fun. Plus the story telling is easily some of the best EVER in a game. It is like reading a novel, only that you don't have to read (cheers here!!!).
Ok, now come bad points. First, the storytelling elements begin to fall flat after the first third of the game. But maybe that is just me. And the biggie... THIS GAME HAS SOME OF THE LOWEST REPLAY VALUE EVER FOR A VIDEO GAME!!! Unfortunately, this game lacks the ability to choose whichever level you'd like. So once you beat it, essentially all that's left is to play the game from scratch again. If you want to play that cool level you liked so much, you have to play all the levels before it. Sure, there is higher difficulties that are unlocked, but that does seem kind of shallow. At least the PC version version came with a level editor (I believe), so you could create your own levels and download new ones from other players.
Bottom line is that this is a really good experience. I've had my copy for about a month, yet I already plan on trading it in for a better game!!! I definately reccomend renting it, especially if your PC is lacking horse power...

Max Payne - Xbox
Max Payne - Xbox by Rockstar Games (Xbox)
CDN$ 41.99 CDN$ 37.70