summer boutiques-francophones snsflyout Home All-New Kindle sports Tools Family

on March 28, 2002
Okay, I've officially adopted myself as the spokesperson for "Love Affair!" I've spent the past few days telling everyone I know to watch it!
My mom actually recommended it to me (telling me it was even better than "Jerry Maguire", my previous favorite movie), so I rented it on a whim.....the best decision I've ever made!
Now, at first, I was watching it just like a regular romantic comedy, but as it progressed,I realized that the scenes were really ABOUT the emotion. The way that Annette gazes out at the Empire State Building from her balcony....The way that Warren ignores everyone but her on the Russian cruise ship....The way they look at each other in the theater near the end of the movie....
Oh, and I felt the emotion! I was in tears through the scene where they are reunited (Annette's "I was looking up" line!), oh, and the scene when Warren is waiting for her with the painting! I cried my eyes out over this movie!
I've never seen the original 2 movies, but now I have mixed feelings about if I want to - I couldn't bear to tarnish the magic of this one!
It really is a "poetic" movie....beautiful, tender, emotional....everything a hopeless romantic (like me!) could possibly hope for!
Everyone looking for an excellent touching movie, buy LOVE AFFAIR today!!!!
HALL OF FAMEon January 8, 2001
"Love Affair" is a remake of an "Affair to Remember" which was made popular because it was rather important in the plot of "Sleepless in Seattle." Just to make it more interesting, "Affair to Remember" was a remake of the original "Love Affair." Warren Beatty plays Mike Gambril, an ex-football star (an obvious allusion to Beatty's "Heaven Can Wait," which was a much more successful remake of an older film) who meets Terry McKay, played by Annette Benning, on a flight to Sydney. The plane is forced down and the two end up on a slow boat back to civilization. Both are engaged to other people, but since these two are married in real life and since very few people will have seen "Love Affair" without having seen or heard about the earlier versions, it is pretty clear this is not going to work out. But they want to take time to be sure, and so an ill-fated rendezvous at the Empire State Building is set up to confirm their destinies.
Katharine Hepburn's performance as Michael's Aunt Ginny is touted on the box cover, not just because "Love Affair" proved to be the final theatrical film in her storied career (she did appear in one more made for television movie), but because she steals the show in her brief scene. Hepburn is abetted in this effort by the local, a glorious beautiful South Pacific island as lush and as a green as any you have ever seen. There is also a wonderful set up for her scene, where Beatty asks Benning to go see his aunt and the couple take a series of scenic jaunts to the mountainside home, punctuated by Benning's comic asides. The role of the hero's aunt has always been a wonderful character piece for an older actress in every one of the film versions of this story, but certainly Hepburn is given more interesting things to say. For those who are shocked to hear Hepburn use foul language, you should remember that thirty years earlier she was probably the first person to say the word "fornication" on film in "The Lion in Winter." As Ginny explains her perspective on what type of bird Beatty happens to be and what that means for his future, there is no difference between Benning and her character, both of whom are clearly basking in Hepburn's presence.
As always, Beatty surrounds his main characters without outstanding supporting players, from Kate Capshaw and Pierce Brosnan as the original intendeds with whom no one can find fault, to Brenda Vaccaro and Paul Mazursky as other couple on the boat, to Garry Shandling and Harold Ramis as Mike's agent and financial adviser, to Chloe Webb as Terry's confidant after "the accident." If, in the final analysis, Beatty is not up to the pivotal moment in the climax where the pieces come together, then it is because the memory of Cary Grant's performance in the previous remake is just too overwhelming. Certainly Benning shines throughout the film, so there is no doubt why he is after her even if the opposite is established more by Beatty's reputation, wonderfully established in a series of news flashes in the film's opening, than by anything the actor actually does in the film itself. He looks good, but she looks great and you end up thinking Beatty remade this film not just because its story hits home to him but also because he really wants to show off his wife. Ultimately it is the women in this film who redeem it and make it more than what Annette and Warren did on their summer vacation, although the fact that the woman is the more appealing character this time is probably not enough to make it come out ahead of the Grant/Kerr version for most of us.
on February 11, 2000
The first 75 minutes of this modern adaptation saunter along at a relaxed pace. While there's no real snap to the dialogue, and the acting by Warren Beatty and Annette Benning is familiar rather than inspired, the demands of the story are so slight that it doesn't matter. Imagine a pleasant cup of tea on a mildly cool day, with Katherine Hepburn tossed in for good measure, as Beatty's aunt with nothing profound to add. Then, as the story is about to finish up in a glazed stupour, a harsh right turn is made in order to prolong the film for another 25 minutes. Bear in mind that no substantial points are made in these last, glacial 25 minutes - we learn nothing more about the lead characters or their supposed undying love for each other. It's just that 75 minutes seems kind of short for a modern motion picture. Which begs the question, Why make this movie at all?
on October 10, 2001
A remake is a remake is a remake. So, I have quite accepted that the plot would have been almost carbon-copy-identical. Except for Pierce Brosnan, who may have added a few more mileage to the original & the original-remake characters, everything else seemed the same.
The setting is enthralling & yes, romantic. But I think they have focused too much on the setting, especially the part where they had to visit the aunt. Annette Benning was ok but Warren Beatty was far too short compared with Carey Grant. One particular scene I would like to bring your attention to was his discovery of his painting in Annette's room. In "An Affair to Remember", Carey's expression was so intense & heartbreaking but Warren's was quite short in delivery.
Overall, this version is a nice movie though & of course, romantic. Nice soundtrack too.
on October 26, 1999
A MOVIE THAT SEEMS TO BRING OUT VOCAL SUPPORTERS AS WELL AS CRITICS, "LOVE AFFAIR" IS OBVIOUSLY DOING WHAT IT SUPPOSED TO DO - MOVE THE AUDIENCE. PERHAPS THOSE WHO WISH TO ANALYZE AND COMPARE ARE DISAPPOINTED IN THE PRODUCTION AND ACTING, THOSE OF US WHO STILL WATCH MOVIES TO BE MOVED LOVED IT. IT IS, ABOVE ALL ELSE, A TIMELESS STORY OF LOVE FOUND,LOST,AND THEN FOUND AGAIN. A HAPPY ENDING. HOW CAN WE EVER TIRE OF THAT? BENING/BEATTY WERE BELIEVEABLE. AS ALWAYS, HEPBURN WAS GREAT THOUGH IT PAINS ME TO SEE HER FRAILTY. WHO CARES HOW GOOD A 1939 VERSION WAS? THIS MOVIE STANDS ON IT'S OWN, AND IT BELONGS IN THE COLLECTION OF EVERY TRUE ROMANTIC....THE CRITICS CAN GO PLAY POLO OR SOMETHING EQUALLY SNOOTY.
on December 11, 1999
This movie has been terribly underrated! I saw it when it first came out and, due to my prejudice towards the 1957 Cary Grant/Deborah Kerr film, I couldn't see just how good it really is. I recently saw it again and absolutely love it now! Beatty is charming and Annette Bening, as in "The American President", glows toward the camera. She is simply one of the best actresses and the greatest stars around, in my opinion. Katharine Hepburn is perfect as Beatty's aunt. Give this movie another chance -- if you love romantic movies, you'll love this "Love Affair".
on April 1, 1999
I had seen An Affair to remember when I saw this movie, but I will have to tell you that they are both wonderful. I cried my eyes out when I saw An Affair to Remeber and I cried my eyes out when I saw this one. I don't understand what this movie did to get such rewives. I LOVED IT and I can't watch it to often :) If you think that An Affair to Remember is one of the greatest movies ever made you'll have to see this one too. It's amazing how two movies can come out this good with nearly the exact same script. BUY THIS ONE NOW AND YOU WON'T BE DISSAPOINTED !!!!
on March 11, 2000
This is a really uneven film. The parts that work are wonderful, but the parts that don't are quite bad. I'd never seen a movie this uneven before. After I saw it, I read an interview with Pierce Brosnan (who has a small role), and he said Warren Beatty would come on the set and try to take the directing job away from the director. So, I assume the good parts were when one of the two was directing, and the bad bits were when the other was directing. Whether the good bits were directed by Beatty, or the real director, I don't know!
on April 3, 1999
This movie was an unneeded remake of "An Affair to Remember" and "Love Affair" (1939). I thought it was nice how they used the same script for much of it, but how believeable is landing on a desert island and going on a Russian cruise ship? And the scenes, especially the last one, that has the same exact dialogue as "An Affair to Remember" falls very flat as these actors deliver their lines. Deborah Kerr and Cary Grant are highly superior to Beatty and Benning. It's cute, but was it really needed?
on June 29, 2003
Okay, I'm not into chick flicks, but I like romantic movies. This movie is amazing because it avoids the pitfalls that alot of romantic movies fall into by not mixing an essential amount of testosterone necessary to keep a guy feeling like he's part of the scenario. (I absolutely abhored Best Friend's Wedding.) Movies that are of the same genre as this: An Affair to Remember? A classic, but by the time I was old enough to appreciate romance movies, I was intolerant of Cary Grant's accent. Sleepless in Seattle had it's moments. BUT, Love Affair nails it! It's funny, clever, romantic... Annette Benning commands the screen. Warren Beatty--I mean, does this movie strike an exact chord, or what? The chemistry is perfect because, aside from the tragedy it entails, it IS a true story! WB is depicted as a famous womanizing stud (which anybody who's been around for a few years is well aware that he actually was). One day traveling on a plane he meets the woman that's his soulmate. The way she 'operates' him is poetry in motion. Bottom line: The cast, the soundtrack, the storyline, the locations, Ray Charles in concert doing a Christmas song, the cruise ship, the walk on an island in Tahiti, the humor, etc. I could go on & on about how much I love this movie. I recorded this on cable several years ago and can't tell you how many times I've watched it. (Now it's on DVD...Y-E-A-H!!!) Ladies, are you having a hard time of getting your man to watch a romantic movie? Well this is your ticket! Take it from a guy, this movie absolutely rules! Just make sure you get some tissues for him too!