5.0 out of 5 stars Well Done
This is a well done Anime of the all time. Where man makes a robot and try's to make it more human.
Published 2 months ago by David Snow

3.0 out of 5 stars beautiful animation
I held higher expectations for this anime, so I bought it before seeing it. I haden't had the chance to watch it and a week later it came to the art theater in my town. So I thought it would be nice to see an anime on big screen for once. Now I wish I haven't bought it.
The animation was just "wow", very beautiful and absolutly stunning.However, I didn't...
Published on July 2 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Done, May 13 2014
David Snow - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great one to watch, July 16 2013
Kevin Barton (Whitby, ON Canada) - See all my reviews
I am happy with this movie because it is a great one to have on Play Station Portable. I find this movie very interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-see in animation, May 3 2012
This review is from: Metropolis (Bilingual) (DVD)
This is a powerful movie to watch with beautiful imagery and a powerful storyline. I first encountered this movie as a teenager and enjoyed it much more as an adult, understanding things in a different, perhaps more complete way. I recommend this movie to everyone who loves anime, but more so, a beautiful dramatic (if not even existential) plot line. This movie is underlined by a beautiful, haunting, musical score, which captures the emotions of all the characters in a very distinct manner.

5.0 out of 5 stars A new milestone in anime, June 18 2003
This review is from: Metropolis (VHS Tape)
The characters' appearences didn't stop me from buying this movie. I just wanted to see a good movie. This is how Osamu Teuka's work looks. Too big of feet is stopping you? To big of girly eyes for all the characters, including the boy ones? Don't let anything on this movie stop you from buying it. And don't let the other reviews stop you. Every penny is worth it.
This movie is based on the comis book{manga} Astro Boy by Osamu Tezuka's. To all of you who want to know what the word based means, I highly doubt this is supposed to be a different version of a movie for Astro Boy, but I honestly don't know. but what I do think this movie is based on for Astro Boy that's not a far-fetched answer is the fact that Osamu Tezuka made his characters from Astro Boy look similar to the characters appearences{big feet,big eyes]in this movie.
I also think there will be a sequel to this because this was released just over a year ago, and Ithink Kenichi might become a detective. I wonder if he'll still look like a girl, though.
But I can't believe I was afraid to buy this movie. It kinda looks like it has subtitles at the beggining, but i can assure little kids, it doesn't.
But parents before this movie sells out{ I've noticed that a lot of things that I want to get is sold out} maybe you should buy it. Even you might like it also. Also, if you have a son/daughter or you think is too young to watch PG-13 movies you should buy for them or yourself and let them watch it when you feel they are old enough.
Here is a summary of the movie:
Duke Red creates a robot named Tima, and thanks to his son, Rock, he thinks Tima is destroyed. But she's really befriending the nephew of a japanese detective. Buy the movie to see the ending.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a complex movie to review, Aug. 15 2002
T. Austin (Van Nuys, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Metropolis (Bilingual) (DVD)
The animation in this film could be the best I have ever seen; even better than "Snow White". The characters and objects were very grounded within the settings unlike a like low budget, Saturday morning cartoon like "Scoobydoo" where the characters looked pasted on top of a background.
The lighting and shading, the color pallette, as well as the three point perspective was spectacular. Everything always looked very grounded. The best I have ever seen. I also liked the fact that the people in the backgrounds were not static drawings but rather they were animated as well. (There's a million stories in "Metropolis so to speak.)
Everything contained in "Metropolis" is profoundly well executed yet at times it falls short since some of the elements such as the music, character design, and back ground art don't always integrate together.
For Example: The character design is very "anime, retro" which I liked. It reminded me of the old "Astro Boy", "Gigantor, or the "Rusty and Tin Tin" cartoons". It was very stylized and fun. However when this art was integrated into the "Metropolis" background art; (Which I call "techno, art deco" which is quite breathtaking in its complexity, color and form), some of the characters seemed out of place. When you have a character with a gigantic nose, or a mustache that looks like a mop, it looks odd when placed in a back ground that looks like you or I could stroll through.
The editing was very old school as in 1920's style. it was amusing at times with its main emphasis on the "majestic scenery" just like in a silent movie.
Music wise they used a rag time, New Orleans jazz vibe which didn't always work for me. When I think of a city I do think jazz but the jazz has a blues influence. Nonetheless, it was very well orchestrated and performed. I also didn't like the Ray Charles song overlay when a particular plot point was going "KLA-BLOOIE"
Story wise I loved it all the way till the third act. I didn't like the sudden change in a particular protagonist docile nature. I also wanted the character to survive.
So what you have is a movie that is breathtaking to look at. Sets new animation standards that even Disney should take seriously. Pays homage to 1960's Japanese anime, but has a story line that may miss the mark for those like myself. However there is a lot to love and admire about "Metropolis" and it is well worth putting in your library if you appreciate fine art in animation.
Tony

5.0 out of 5 stars A great anime that will make your jaw drop, Aug. 8 2002
This review is from: Metropolis (Bilingual) (DVD)
While watching this movie, I kept finding myself saying "wow" over and over. The visuals for this movie are top-notch, I don't think I've seen a movie that looks this good visually. I had to go back and watch it again just to keep up with the story because i spent so much of the first viewing drooling over the cg/animation blend.
The plot isn't the most original in the world, but it doesnt hurt the movie at all. The story follows a detective and his nephew as the become caught up with Tima, a robot designed to run a super computer.
The real pull of this movie is how attached the viewer becomes to the characters. Even Rock, with his malicious and blind sense of justice begs for some sympathy.
The relationship between Kenichi and Tima is a wonderful symbol of the naive view of the world children have, not always realizing what they do and what is going on around them.
In terms of anime, some people might find it a bit disappointing. No bodacious babes, no giant swords cleaving people in half, and no crackpot jokes that are barely funny.
In terms of a great movie, this one is a winner. It is an emotional piece that hits all the buttons other movies similar in idea(A.I. for instance) missed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why does it work with the Japanese...?, Aug. 8 2002
This review is from: Metropolis (Bilingual) (DVD)
We all know this cliche. Robots in the far future, evil scientist, a robot as the main character. But when you add in the 'Japanese' touch, the wonderful (but yes, SWING) musical score, the fancy digital animation, and the 21st century angst we all love, I can't help but wonder... Why do things seem to work better with the Japanese?
It's because of movies like these that I love anime.
From what I gathered, the reviews are a mixed batch, and many refer to Princess Mononoke. I don't quite think this movie should be compared to it at all because of the extreme difference in genres, but I would put this up with it as one of the best anime movies, or just movie in general, of all time.
But I will also say you should rent it before you buy. Not because it's a mediocre movie, but for some the violence might be at the point of being unsuitable. There is a lot of destruction, especially towards the robots (I personally don't mind it, but i'm a bit biased.)
But as always, the ending is what catches you by surprise. Never have I been able to guess what will happen in a (good) anime movie, and this one is no different. Let's suffice to say, 'keep your mind open,' and I STRONGLY suggest this movie to absolutely anyone, anime fan or hater.

5.0 out of 5 stars best movie i've ever seen., July 25 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Metropolis (Bilingual) (DVD)
Honestly....when i first saw the movie.....I hated it. It only had japenese dialogue and I hate subtitles.......But that was quickly fixed when I realized that it had a american dialogue....hehe........The scenery is some of the most artistic that I've ever seen. The music gives it such a flare....similar to that of Cowboy Beebop. The character animation was a bit of a throw at first.....,but after studying Manga and drawing it. I came to love the way how all of the characters give such an original feel while still giving a retro one too. The movie has such a mastered look to it that makes it such a jewel. You have to be a real artist or enthusiest in order to appreciate the way in which you are bombarded with hidden messages, which is a positive effect in this case. By messages I mean that the way the scenes are constructed leave you with such a firm vision and vivid emotion that the story is trying to convey. The visions will leave you with something special. The film will always stick out in my mind as being beautiful, thought-provoking, and soulful. Get it
Now or youll always be missing out on one of the best Animes ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Anime, July 24 2002
Aaron Tibbs (winnetka, ca United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Metropolis (Bilingual) (DVD)
You must buy this, it's a GOT TO. The corner stones of anime were Akira, Ghost in the shell, and Ninja scroll. But now the list grows one more with Metropolis. These are just got to buy essentials that every anime fan should buy first.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing..., July 22 2002
This review is from: Metropolis (VHS Tape)
If you like a happy-go-lucky Walt Disney style of animation, then don't even think about watching this. But since I hate any happy-go-lucky flicks, I totally fell in love with "Metropolis". Original, different, and wowza. Osamu Tezuka's a genious - his art takes some time to get used to, but after awhile, you really do appreciate the originality in his characters. And you really get attatched to the characters after awhile...Rock may be your average pretty-boy villian at first glance, but you realize his love for his father and Metropolis after about half an hour of watching the scenes. Tima, the cyborg, is a frail creature that doesn't know how to act around humans much less how to survive, and she's mentally attatched to Kenichi, the first human for her to encounter after Rock decides to blast down the lab she was created in. And the ending - *sob* It's a typical Asian movie ending - the kind that makes you think but want to punch the screen at the same time :)
Be warned that this is not an animation for your average 6-11 year old audience. There's alot of gunshots, some rather disturbing scenes in which Tima loses her human skin coverage, and Rock just goes wild with the gun. A generous number of people loses their lives as well...
The art is amazing, but the music...I'm not a big fan of jazz and blues, but the "I Can't Stop Loving You" song when Ziggarut crumbles down is totally ironic, and it's actually amazing on how it adds to the moods. And I'm pretty sure you DON'T want to hear the sounds of a building crashing, crumbling, and exploding for about two minutes, do you?
One last thing...get the one with the subtitles. Dubbs for anime and Asian movies are never good when it's in a western language. Keep in mind that the way Asian people talk and the way western people do are VERY different, and it could ruin the "feel" of the movie.
Buy it, and you won't be dissapointed. But if you hate anime then...you'll like the story :)

Metropolis (Bilingual)
Metropolis (Bilingual) by Rintaro (DVD - 2002)
CDN$ 26.95 CDN$ 20.99