countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Furniture All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools

Format: DVD|Change
Price:$38.83+ $3.49 shipping

on September 23, 2015
What more needs to be said about the best mini-series ever made for TV, except now it's in blu-ray! I noticed a certain echoing element on the sound in some scenes and can only put that down to bad sound recording, otherwise it is a joy to watch.
on March 6, 2002
If you made it this far, go a little further. Under "Explore this video" you will see the run time of the VHS tape is 240 minutes. The DVD run time is 360 minutes. Hmmmm....
Well, be warned, an intellectually challenged movie distributor has decided to edit 2 hours from Lonesome Dove! That is like touching up the Mona Lisa!
This miniseries was unique and may never again be equalled, at least in the Western genre. It is 6 hours of riveting televison, and trust me on this folks, you can't find 5 minutes of this former miniseries to edit out. To cut anything out was a serious diservice to anyone who has not experienced this.
Probably what I liked most was the thoroughly convincing portrayals of this cast. There were none who did not project an aura of believability, and each was so convincing that you may forget you are sitting in front of your television. I remember the time I rented this 6 hour series in 1994 not knowing what to expect. What I found was I did not get up from my couch for 6 hours. I was moved by the entire movie, and rarely does any movie elicit emotion in me. Gus McRae and Woodrow Call, backed by an absolutely fantastic supporting cast, will bring your televison to life.
Towards the end, when Woodrow is doing a favor for Gus, and doing so at the risk of his own life, the whole West hears of his exploits. In some dusty cow town somewhere, a local sees him, and reading of the story, questions Woodrow Call.
"Just why are you doing this anyway?" he asks. Call looks back and says "Because I gave him my word." The local, thinking for a second, looks back and says "I can see that you did" and walks away. It is a perfect description of the character of Woodrow Call. Maybe the best mini-series to ever grace televison. Just make sure you see all of it.
on March 2, 2004
I can't believe that the studio would crop down the original story by two hours! More importantly, there is absolutely no indication on Amazon's product page that it is not the complete and original version. Obviously we are supposed to buy first and be disappointed later. Shame on the studio for dismembering such an admirably filmed and classic western. Shame on Amazon for not letting us know that this isn't the complete film.
For those of you who had never seen the film and bought this DVD, I'm sorry to tell you that you've been snubbed out of 1/4 of the story. For those of you who loved the film and bought this DVD, don't you feel cheated?
This isn't the first time a studio has decided what is best for the viewing public. I, for one, will be demanding to know why this film was cut and how/where I can obtain a quality (this DVD quality was awful) and UNABRIDGED digital video of Lonesome Dove.
on January 4, 2004
Not too long ago, I caught the tail end of a film on the cable channel which captured more than my attention. After watching what was left of the film, it left me thirsty for more. I purchased the 4 set vhs immediately. I usually make it a rule to avoid westerns; most westerns don't hold my attention past the first ten minutes. Lonesome Dove turned out to be the exception to my rule. This 6 hour saga boasts an all-star cast, beginning with Robert Duvall as Captain Gus McCrae and Tommy Lee Jones as Captain Woodrow Call, two retired Texas Rangers hailing from a small town in south Texas, called appropriately enough, Lonesome Dove. After an unspected visit from their long absent partner, Jake Spoon, played by Robert Urich, the three round up some experienced hands and head cross country to the yet unsettled State of Montana with a herd of stolen horses and cattle in an effort to build an empire in the breeding buisiness. Several storylines unfold along the way, as Captains Call and McCrae take their treacherous trek cross country, crossing seven untamed rivers along the way. Rick Schroeder plays the illigitimate son of Captain Call who refuses to recognize him as his son, but takes on the role in rearing the boy, now on the threshold of manhood. Schroeder's performance displays a side of his talents that were never fully displayed in any of his former roles on television. I can say the same for Robert Urich who shines in his portrail as Jake Spoon. Rick Schroeder's character, Newt Dobbs, although still rough around the edges, displays deeply instilled loyalties and trust in Captain Call and the men associated with them who had a hand in raising the boy practically from birth. The issue of paternity and the lack of recognition clearly tear at the compassionate sides of both men. The loyalties and ties run deep between all of them. Danny Glover plays an experienced tracker, taking incredible risks for the sake of his comrades. His simplistic yet poignant portrayal was intense enough to bring me to tears. The movie brought out a mix of raw emotions from within me, ranging from laughing out loud at the sprinkles of dry humor to wiping tears from my eyes with the dramatic side to this movie. My favorite scene was when Captain McCrae narrowly escapes an Indian attack while scouting with Pea Eye who inquires "What kind of Indians were they?" to which the dry Captain McCrae replies "I don't know. They didn't stop to introduce themselves." There are other characters who deserve accolades but it would take alot more than this small space, for me to touch on every one of them. The storylines are gripping, the scenery breathtaking and the recreation of life in an infant America is so realistic, it gave me a hankerin' to go back in time. This is a must see, with warmth, bravado and edge of your seat tension. This film not only captured my attention, but my heart. If you are in the mood for a movie with powerful insight on what life was really like in the old west, if you want heartstopping action, adventure, vivid characters and intensity that never quits, then this is the movie for you.
on September 25, 2003
I don't think I can add anymore than what's already been said about Lonesome Dove. This is one of the best mini-series of all time. And overall probably the best Western I've ever seen.
But Lonesome Dove fans deserve a better transfer of this film to DVD. The original broadcast on CBS wasn't crystal clear with eye popping colors either but it was certainly better than this murky hazy looking print. Other studios have taken important groundbreaking mini-series like Roots (and most recently Shogun) and gave them stunning transfers that look even better than the original broadcast. And Roots and Shogun first aired more than 10 years before Lonesome Dove!! Lonesome Dove the book and the TV series has become part our collective memory of the Mythological American West. And has done as much to make us rethink Hollywood cliches about Westerns as Unforgiven or previous Westerns by Leone, Peckinpah, Hawks, or Ford.
I'm glad its at least available on DVD. But I can't help but say this series simply deserves better. Why do I care? Again, its an "important" Western. And for selfish reasons as well. I re-watch Lonesome Dove about once every year. It should look just as good as most of DVD's out there today.
on May 19, 2016
Best western movie ever - stays true to the Pulitzer Prize winning novel. Robert Duvall has said that Gus McCrae is the best character that he has played.

The unique friendship and the wonderful dialogue between Gus and Woodrow rivals that of Casablanca's Rick and Louis.
on December 9, 2013
The Lonesome Dove Blu-ray arrived in about a week in excellent shape. Lonesome Dove is a 4 part miniseries (approximately 90 min per episode) originally broadcast in 1989. The first 3 episodes are on a dual layer disc 1 with VC1 format encoding and Dolby digital 5.1 surround. Episode 4 and extras are on a single layer disc 2. The picture (16x9) and sound quality are excellent. It was good enough for me to order 2 more copies for Christmas presents (which arrived in about a week as well in separate packages a day apart). Robert Duvall and Tommy Lee Jones are at the top of their game in this.
on September 2, 2013
Lonesome Dove was a four-part western TV series produced in the late 80s. The Blue-Ray quality of this widescreen format is excellent; unlike some of the earlier standard screen DVD formats that were made during the 90s.
on September 29, 2003
This version is only 2/3's the original. While I don't consider Lonesome Dove to be as great a film as The Unforgiven, consider The Unforgiven being cut down to 2/3's it's original length. Would you consider it to be worth considering over the original. I doubt it. Major character development and plotlines would have to be cut.
Lonesome Dove, in my opinion, is one of the greatest, if not the greatest mini-series to ever play on television. Robert Duval and Tommy Lee Jones give Academy Award deserving (if it was on the big screen) performances.
However, everyone should wait for the original, full length version to come out on DVD. I know I will.
If this DVD had been the original, it would recieve 5 stars.
on February 19, 2013
I love this series; however, some of the scenes are very fuzzy/grainy and certainly did not meet my expectations. When a product is BlueRay it normally means this is a very high quality visual product; Lonesome Dove was not!