5.0 out of 5 stars Please, not the Pogues...
Published on June 5 2004 by E. Verardi

2.0 out of 5 stars What were they thinking?
After releasing two wonderful albums, Alive Behind The Green Door and Swagger, I was quite anxious to hear Flogging Molly's new album...
Words can't express the feeling of disappointment I felt (and still do) after listening to Drunken Lullabies.
Published on Sept. 6 2002 by J. Turley

5.0 out of 5 stars Please, not the Pogues..., June 5 2004
E. Verardi "another aging punk" (Wash D.C.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Drunken Lullabies (Audio CD)
No, they aren't the Pogues. Nor should they be compared. Fact is, this band is good NOW. The Pogues were sounding a bit worn by the end... and one could say they sounded like a few well known traditional Irish bands of the day. FM has a great sound, fantastic lyrics, and I can't wait to see them live some time if they ever make it within 50 miles of my home. I'm 39, loved the Pogues, still do, and stubled onto FM while looking for something other than old Pogues cds to listen to. Thank god I found these guys and the Real McKenzies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Drunken Lullabies., June 28 2004
This review is from: Drunken Lullabies (Audio CD)
This is such an amazing album. I first heard of these guys on the 'Warped Tour' record absolutly love thier blend of celtic and punk. This is such a refreshing twist. I have never heard (expect Dropkick Murphys but who i feel arent as celtic as FM) such a unique, yet simply amazing way of punk. This is cd is solid through out. My favorite tracks are:
1. 'Drunken Lullabies' - The title track is an amazing fast paced song, which dives right into their celtic influence. It will leaving you singing and dancing. My favorite track. Amazing lyrics.
2. 'What's Left Of The Flag' - This is another stand out. It starts off acousticly, but then jumps right into the punk feel. Their first real single of this record.
4. 'If I Ever Leave this World Alive' - This song is a slighty slower paced, but good as ever.
5. 'The Kilburn High Road' - A fast song, with a tearing guitar solo.
6. 'Rebels of the Sacred Heart' - Fast paced and brilliant.
9. 'Death Valley Queen' - This song's chorus is catchy. I feel tracks 8-10 are really dark, and this i one of the darkest.
11. 'The Rare Ould Times' - This is a cover song of a very old Irish song. I absolutly love the FM cover of it.
12. 'The Son Never Shines (on Closed Doors) - I really like this song a lot. I just love how the album ends with such a beautiful slow song.
Overall, a very good sophmore album, and i can't wait for their next album which they are currently wrapping up. This album is very solid through out, and Dave King voice is full of emotion. Every song through is filled with amazing lyrics. Flogging Molly's Drunken Lullabies is sure to leave you singing and dancing with one of the best, unique bands out there.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wow! A Blast!, May 3 2004
Scott Schiefelbein (Portland, Oregon United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Drunken Lullabies (Audio CD)
I snagged "Drunken Lullabies" on some good word-of-mouth, and I was amazed. Many bands brag that they are an Irish punk act, but they can't pull it off. If there is a dictionary of musical styles, under "Irish Punk" it should read, "See Flogging Molly."
The title track, "What's Left of the Flag," and "The Kilburn High Road," are thrashing, crazed guitar rants perfect for a rugby team's pre-game locker room scene. If anything, "FM" gets a bit carried away during their tunes -- "Death Valley Queen," "Rebels of the Sacred Heart," and "Another Bag of Bricks" made me check the liner notes to see if the band has a cardiologist or ER doc to thank! "The Rare Old Times" and "The Sun Never Shines (on Closed Doors)" prove that "FM" is not a one-trick pony, but you wish that there was a little more such diversity on the album.
Check these guys out -- if we're lucky, they'll be around for a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I was Irish, Aug. 24 2003
Geneva Kaiser (Spanaway, Washington United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Drunken Lullabies (Audio CD)
After reading a few of these reviews, I wonder if I'm the only person that prefers "Druken Lullabies" over "Swagger"? Lullabies is the first CD in a long time that I am able to listen straight through without skipping songs. The title track is energetic and fun. Try keeping your toes still listening to that one. "Raise What's left of the Flag for Me" is brillant. I love how is starts off slow and melodic and then the drums come in when Dave sings "Then the rosary beads count them one two three Fell apart as they hit the floor..." "Cruel Mistress" is a cool pirate song sung by Nathan Maxwell who has a very punk voice. Reminds me of Rancid for some reason. "Another Bag of Bricks" has a cool eastern flair that brings something really different to the album. That has to be my favorite song out of all of them. "The Son Never Shines (on closed doors)" is a lovely ballad. I love how Bridget Regan does the backing vocals. All in all, this is a worthy CD that EVERYONE should own. It appeals to the punk side of me as well as the side of me that wishes I was Irish. Cheers!

4.0 out of 5 stars Let's all settle down here, Dec 6 2002
Noel (Atlanta, Ga.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Drunken Lullabies (Audio CD)
After reading the other reviews I'd like to invite some of the overzealous reviews to settle down a bit. I agree with some of the others here who liked Swagger better. However, just like the others, I still like this album too (it's ok to have a preference...really, it is)!
While the lyrics don't seem to be as insightful and meaningful on this album as they have been on previous albums, the musical arrangements make up for it. This album is just plain fun! You might think it sounds like the Pogues (or even the Sex Pistols) and you might be correct in thinking that - but, it doesn't detract from the fact that this album is a blast to listen to.
If I were allowed to give a fractional rating I would give a 3.5. I decided to round up just on the fact that this album has the best title I've seen in years!
And for the record - the young lady who blasted those of us who prefer Swagger to this album...Behind the Green Door is not their third cd - it is their first cd, folled by Swagger and Drunken Lullabies.
Love ya,
Noel
P.S. Dave, if you read this...."I tawt I was home....I tawt I was home..."

2.0 out of 5 stars What were they thinking?, Sept. 6 2002
J. Turley - See all my reviews
This review is from: Drunken Lullabies (Audio CD)
Where the first two albums of course warranted comparisons to mighty Pogues, they established and built on FM's individual personality... Which I had hoped they would continue to do on their third release.
But no. Almost every song on here can be traced back to Pogues, beat for beat, instrument for instrument. I understand that many fantastic artists, including Shane MacGowan himself are known for thinly disguising songs that inspire them as their own work - reworking traditional tunes and adding themselves into the music... but Drunken Lullabies just doesn't pull it off. Everytime I listen to it, I get frustrated, turn it off and put on The Pogues instead.
Even the last time I saw them play live - a concert on St. Paddy's day, I ended up leaving early... okay a big part of that was the venue's lack of Irish whiskey and serving overpriced Guinness in little plastic cups - but the point is, I had never walked out of a Flogging Molly show before! (and haven't been to one since)
It's a shame and I for one, hope they can win their fans back over next time. I know they're better than this release demonstrates. The other albums PROVE it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but not Swagger, March 28 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Drunken Lullabies (Audio CD)
There should be a four and a half star rating.
Undoubtedly this album rages. The first three songs are punishing; "Drunken Lullabies", the title track, is one of those you must memorize the lyrics to and sing along with. "What's Left of the Flag" is another excellent tune, but "May The Living Be Dead (In Our Wake) is my favorite. "If I Ever Leave This World Alive" is my favorite Dave King song on the album; it shows that questioning, mellow side of his lyrical talent that is part of what made "Worst Day Since Yesterday" such a great tune.
Songs "The Kilburn High Road", "Rebels of the Sacred Heart", and "Swagger" are straight-up furious punk Molly style.
I'm not sure what they were thinking with "Cruel Mistress", letting Nathan Maxwell sing and all. It's a funny song, but his voice is not nearly as strong or commanding as King's. Maybe Noel Redding put him up to this....
"Death Valley Queen" is a beautifully textured tune; when King laments that "I..have always..loved you.." I feel a tear jerk the corner of my eye....
"The Rare Ould Times" is a gorgeous Pete St. John song that Flogging Molly couldn't have done more justice to. It's my favorite song on the album.
"The Sun Never Shines.." is another mournful tune reminscent of "Far Away Boys". If I had to guess I would say "The Sun" seems to be addressed to Dave's mother...interesting....
Buy this album. You will not regret it. And if you don't have Swagger, buy that too. If I had to choose, I would choose Swagger, but Drunken Lullabies more than worth it as well. And see them LIVE! I saw them in Anaheim...awesome!

5.0 out of 5 stars A smashing sequel to "Swagger", March 21 2002
M. Broo "J.D.I.T" (Toledo, OH) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Drunken Lullabies (Audio CD)
"Drunken Lullabies" is another absolutely magnificent album from Flogging Molly.
Dave King and Co. are back with all the frantic energy and irish pride that gained them so many fans in their debut album, "Swagger." Old fans will be instantly familiar with the kicking sound of the title track "Drunken Lullabies" and the much more laid back "If I Ever Leave This World Alive," which brings back memories of "The Worst Day Since Yesterday." The high energy tracks continue with a great new song, "The Kilburn High Road" and a great studio rendition of "Swagger."
Where this album outshines it's predecessor, however, is in the final few tracks, which really give an indication how the band is growing musically and has tons of potential to be even better. "Another Bag of Bricks" has a great sound that is very distinct and different from a lot of the other stuff Flogging Molly has done before...it represents a great middle ground between the frantic tracks like "Lullabies" and "The Kilburn High Road" and the slower "If I Ever Leave This World Alive."
The final track, "The Son Never Shines (On Closed Doors)," is Flogging Molly at it's best...Lyrics sung by King with the kind of emotion and beauty that hit you square in the heart. Songs like this make me think that the best is definately yet to come from these guys and the road there is going to be musical magic.
All in all, "Drunken Lullabies" is an awesome CD that deserves attention and respect. Order it and find the Irishman in you...

5.0 out of 5 stars Not the Pogues, but as close as we can hope to find, March 20 2002
Jim Dirkes (Austin, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Drunken Lullabies (Audio CD)
I have been a fan from the first note of "Salty Dog" on Swagger and rushed out day one to buy "Drunken Lullabies". It did not dissapoint. If you are into loud, rowdy Irish pubsongs (and let's be honest, who isn't) that grab you the first time you hear them then you cannot go wrong here. I have been looking for a new Pogues and these guys will do the trick. They are a little harder, takning more from their punk influence than Shane and Crew (think of them as the midway point between the Pogues and Dropkick Murphys) but the spirit is the same. There really is fantastic range of variety on this record. It is remarkable that a band is able to pull off rousing bar-room tracks like "Drunken Lullabies" and "What's Left of the Flag" in one breath and more subdued, but equally moving tracks like "If I Ever Leave this World Alive" and "The Son Never Shines (on Closed Doors)" while still being able to pull off a captivating (near) instrumental cut like "Swagger". Anyone who is tired of the overproduced and completely uninspired dreg that has become par for the course and is looking for some solid songwriting from some people who make listening enjoyable do yourself a favor. Also don't miss out on Swagger either, both are well worth the price of admission. Slante'.

5.0 out of 5 stars It makes me want to drink heavily with the ones I love., March 28 2004
Autumn May (MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Drunken Lullabies (Audio CD)
When I got dragged to the Van's Warped Tour a few years ago and suffered under the hot, hot sun while several stages had various commercialized-punk artists jamming, Flogging Molly was the only good 30 minutes from the entire afternoon.
I was thirsty. I was getting shoved. I was tired of the sorry exploitation of the safety pin and mohawk. But then this band comes on, with members who DIDN'T look like children, and they had funny instruments and were wearing green. Immediately, you could tell that this was a special variety of punk music. The music was instantly catchy and fun - a nice break from "I hate my dad" sounds coming from every other stage. I liked it!
This album is a tasteful, clumbsy romp through patriotism, heartache, and brotherhood. It's also the clearest, best example of the bagpipe-slash-guitars sound that has been previously done by bands such as the Dropkick Murphies. If you're looking for Irish rock with a popular punk-style twist, check it out.

Drunken Lullabies
Drunken Lullabies by Flogging Molly (Audio CD - 2005)