5.0 out of 5 stars Certainly not their best, but a wonderful effort nontheless
Published on July 16 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Great, but overproduced
Having waited so long to for the next GBS album, I couldn't wait to put the CD in. Perhaps I had my hopes up too high. (Yes this band does have a tendancy to develop fervor amongst people who have heard them)
Published on Jan. 30 2004 by cmtulo

5.0 out of 5 stars Certainly not their best, but a wonderful effort nontheless, July 16 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Sea of No Cares (Audio CD)
As many people have said, this CD has more of a mainstream appeal to it than other GBS discs. Particularly Clearest Indication, Stumblin' In, and Sea of No Cares. And, while they may be more pop than Celtic, they're excellent songs. Older fans of the band seem to have a problem with this new direction, but there are still plenty of traditional songs. Scolding Wife is absolutely fantastic, as is Gideon Brown. And then there's French Perfume, which sounds traditional but isn't. Widow in the Window is a beautiful song. About the only song on the disc I can take or leave is Barque in the Harbor. Not that it's a bad song, per se, but I have to be in a particular mood to listen to it.
For someone like myself, making my first foray into GBS and Celtic music, this was an excellent introduction. I do wish, however, that there was more of the bodhran and less of the drums because I simply adore the bodhran. For an older fan of the band, it's still GBS, and it's still better than most of the mainstream stuff out there. Regardless of how "mainstream friendly" it may sound.
Personally, _up_ (sadly, an import for those of us in the US) is a much better record, but this one is awesome too. And I think that says a lot for it. I highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sea of Great Big Cares, April 19 2002
Catherine M. Dorkin "willow100cm" (Toronto, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sea of No Cares (Audio CD)
Great Big Sea's forth album, Sea of No Cares hits all the right buttons. With just over half the CD being of traditional celtic/Newfoundland music, it gets you up and jumping. An actual drum (oppose to traditional celtic drums) is put into the mix and many guest artist, including Liz Pickard on track 10.
The first solo song out was Sea of No Cares which sparked great controversay in Toronto, Canada. Radio stations did not want to play it because it 'did not fit in the sound of the station'. Mix 99.9 agreed to play it and it's been on the chart for weeks due to popular demand.
Scolding Wife, track four, is the first song of the CD to express 'true celetic sound'. It's upbeat and shows great talent of all four musicians of the band.
Great Big Sea produces another great hit for Newfoundlanders and Canadians alike to be very proud of. Grab yourself a copy today!

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to their roots, April 15 2002
This review is from: Sea of No Cares (Audio CD)
FINALLY! Alan, Sean, Bob and Darrell have returned to their roots. This album, although more mature in sound, is much like their second and third albums, UP and PLAY. I thought Turn sounded too studio-ish, so I am happy to see that they have returned to their own style. This album also gives you the flavour that can be seen only in their live shows. I haven't seen them play in three years--Guys, you HAVE to come to Japan!--but always loved hearing them play live and this album excites me once again about being a Great Big Sea fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT BAND, GREAT CD!, Nov. 18 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Sea of No Cares (Audio CD)
I really enjoyed this album as well as all of GBS albums. My kids get a kick out of listening the cd. With all of the new music and pop singers out there, it is nice to have a band out there that plays the "good old stuff" with a new twist. Having worked with the band in NYC in 2001, I have to say, they are the nicest group of men out there, and their music shows their personalities. I recomend this album and all of GBS's albums to anyone who enjoys celtic folksongs with a 21st century beat. You won't be disapointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Canadian music!, Sept. 24 2002
This great Canadian music by a great Canadian band. All the
tracks are quite enjoyable and can be played again and again.
My only question is why is Great big Seas Cd's mostly listed as
IMPORTs on a web sight that is supposed to be Canadian. Last
time I looked Newfoundland was still in Canada and I'm sure
they still consider it an honour not an honor to be Canadian.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Hit for Newfoundland's Great Big Sea!, Feb. 26 2002
"hallieosu" (Columbus, Ohio USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sea of No Cares (Audio CD)
This album is absolutely wonderful! Great Big Sea scores another hit with this one. It contains the perfect mix of orginal folk/pop songs and traditional tunes. "Sea of No Cares," the first single, is already on the charts in Canada. Traditional songs include a rousing rendition of "Scolding Wife," and the fun "A Boat Like Gideon Brown." Both of these will make great sing-a-longs in concert! If you have never heard GBS's music, this may be the one to start with. This album, dear Amazon readers, may be the one to break GBS into the big time here in the States.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great, but overproduced, Jan. 30 2004
"cmtulo" (Drexel Hill, pa United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sea of No Cares (Audio CD)
The first track, Sea of No Cares sounded so much like any other garage band effort out there. If you've seen a band play at a local club and bought their CD because you got caught up in the moment, then you already know what I mean. That first track sounded, of all things, amateurish and overproduced. Now, this is one of the most polished bands out there, so It came as an affront to me and tainted my view of the rest of the album. This is also the first time they have included a drumset and a drummer. So I guess they were trying to make a point by opening it with a drum solo. But I was not impressed.
There are some absolutely phenomenal songs on this album. My favorite is "Stumbling In" and the CD is worth it just to hear that. Another jems is "Own true Way" and "Clearest Indication" is a song I've lived more than I care to admit. "Penelope" could have been written by Jimmy Buffet. That sounds like a song he should sing. I found it a little out of place and totally out of character for the boys from Newfoundland. And somehow a little patriotic flare shot up at the apparent disparagement of an American city by these Canadians. (I said I was honest...)
GBS continues to be my favorite band because they produce absolutely fabulous, honest, optimistic music. There are some genuine keepers on this album, but if you want a better introduction to them, try Rant and Roar. If you've already been introduced to GBS, then what are you waiting for? Get this CD and you will be happy you did.
Why did I give it only three stars? Because of the albums I have this is about average. Maybe I have nothing but stellar albums in my collection, but that's my honest review. It takes a lot to get five stars out of me. Only one album has so far and, by the way, that album is Rant and Roar.

5.0 out of 5 stars A CD for every person!, Dec 23 2003
Curt (Portland, OR) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sea of No Cares (Audio CD)
GREAT BIG SEA is a mixture of culture and time. Their songs stretch from classic Irish tunes to modern pop music. But, make no mistake, they are great songs.
This CD incorporates the bands talent for music, with today's desire for pop music. Anybody who appreciates music will love this CD! Their smooth melodies and accentual chords make this a CD constant repeat in your CD player, both in the car and at your dinner parties.
This CD represents a more commerical appeal than their previous CD's (PLAY also had commercial appeal). But, once you learn what Great Big Sea is about, you will be in a must have situation for all of their previous CD's. You can forget the bad language, and the hard electric guitars. We are talking about music in a pure form. Lyrics that hit, instrumental collections that support, and most of all, a feeling of.. well, Greatness.
You would be hard set to find a CD that would be able to be put on repeat and not hated after a day. Great Big Sea does that wiht Sea of No Cares. Your friends will instantly be asking you, "Who are they?!?"
Answer: They've been around for over 10 years, and won five (5) awards at the 2003 East Coast Music Awards (Group of the Year, Album of the Year, Entertainer of the Year, Video of the Year, and Pop Group of the Year). Those Left Coast people (like me) are missing out!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice mix of originals and traditionals, March 17 2003
A. Gammill (Tupelo, MS United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sea of No Cares (Audio CD)
SEA OF NO CARES continues in the same vein as Great Big Sea's previous studio album, TURN. Which is to say, a bit more original material and less of the traditional sea shanties and drinkin' songs. The shift toward more pop music may put off longtime fans, but the band is well-suited to this kind of progression.
"Clearest Indication" is a standout ballad, and reminded me of the heartbreaking tune "How Did We Get From Saying I Love You" from the band's PLAY album. "Sea of No Cares," "A Boat Like Gideon Brown," and "Own True Way" rank among the best songs in their impressive catalog. And anyone who's ever been married (as in the past tense) will find it impossible not to laugh (and soon sing along) with "Scolding Wife."
Of the twelve tunes here, only one, "Widow in the Window," didn't do much for me. Otherwise, a solid album from a talented bunch of guys who just keep getting better with time.
ALSO RECOMMENDED: UP (their best) and the live album ROAD RAGE.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Big Sea of No Cares, Feb. 20 2003
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
This review is from: Sea of No Cares (Audio CD)
Great Big Sea is one of the top sources of Celtrock out there, and certainly one that is vastly underestimated. These guys use instruments and songs old and new to mingle traditional Celtic songs and modern rock music, and the results are warm, rousing and very danceable. Not perfect, not quite like what they've done before, but still head and shoulders over most efforts.
Among the rock songs are the guitar-and-drums-dominated "Sea of No Cares" ("you threw your fears/ in the sea of no cares"); poppish and fast-paced "Penelope" which is quite similar to their earlier song "Seagulls," although a bit more personal and precise; the fast-paced (faster and faster?) "Stumbling In," and more. The ballads include the more poignant "Clearest Indication," ("what am I supposed to do/give me the clearest indication/I'm not alone with you"); the traditional "Scolding Wife" which harkens back to earlier works with all the guys singing, the bodhran and the accordion; the poignantly-written "Widow in the Window, the toe-tapping, traditional-sounding "French Perfume," and others.
There's more of an electronic edge to this album rather than simply the instruments being used for rock music. Whether you like this will probably depend on your tastes, and what you like best about Great Big Sea's music. The usual instruments -- bodhran, drums, accordion, mandola -- are still quite present, and the songs are pure Great Big Sea.
This album is a bit of a step out of what they've done before, but "Sea of No Cares" remains a fantastic bit of Celtrock, with memorable songs and fantastic singing. A wonderful bit of music, a mix of the traditional and the modern. Swim in the "Sea!"

Sea of No Cares
Sea of No Cares by Great Big Sea (Audio CD - 2002)