march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage SmartSaver Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools Family

Format: DVD|Change
Price:$33.35+ $3.49 shipping

Showing 1-10 of 80 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on June 6, 2002
here it is. Sex and The City is the best written, best acted show on TV. I pay for HBO just to get my Sunday night fix. If you're looking for a smart, engaging, funny, introspective alternative to the one-dimensional, superficial characters on most tv shows, then you'll love this DVD. It is the finest of the first three seasons. It is best to watch them in order, so rent the first two seasons first, or better yet, buy them (trust me, you'll want to watch them over and over again). I also want to take this opportunity to defend the show from some previous reviews that claim the SATC characters are superficial, shallow and pathetic. That couldn't be further from the truth! The women on this show may have some character flaws;that is what makes them human, and that is what makes them interesting. Most people can strongly identify with many of the characterisitcs found in each character, and the women learn from their mistakes, learn about their friendships and relationships with each experience that they have. If you look close, you'll see that each of the four girls has their own issues to confront, their own lessons to learn. And they do. (Yes, even Samantha has depth- you have to be a fan to truly appreciate this). Sex and The City is brave writing; it takes you where no other show has ever dared to go. The outrageous sexual themes are interesting, real and sometimes humorous to most, but may be possibly offensive to some; even if you are easily offended, take the time to look past those things, because the heart of the show lies not in the shock value but in the truth of the characters, the excellent acting. Plus, it is also about New York, the best city on Earth. What more could you want?
on June 6, 2002
I think that the best part of Sex and The City is that the essence and depth of the characters is not spoon-fed to you, like some many other tv shows; you have to think outside the box to get it. That is refreshing; the writers assume we are intelligent beings and not just looking for mindless entertainment. I wish they would make a movie like this. Also, this third season DVD is the first one to include some audio commentary, which is an added bonus. If SJP becoming executive producer is why the show has taken a more dramatic turn, then I'm all for her! Now that the characters are established, they can do that kind of experimenting, and it works. All four girls have interesting story lines, not just Carrie. (Samantha gets her turn in the fourth season).
on March 18, 2002
I became hooked in the middle of the second season and bought the first & second season on dvd. After having HBO added to my cable line-up; specifically to watch Sex & The City, I can attest to the fact that the third season is Fabulous. Some of the episodes were hard to watch as Carrie repeatedly breaks down the only good relationship she's ever had. But the guest stars, trip to LA episodes, Samantha falling in love, & Miranda's pregnancy are not to be missed!
I've preordered this dvd set and if you're a fan of the show you'll want to as well...
on January 1, 2004
In a time where good television shows are few and far between, one learns to appreciate the genius of the HBO networks' hit TV shows. Prime time and "Late Nite" TV were formerly dominated by the "main networks": ABC, NBC, CBS, etc... That was until HBO got in on the action. With shows like Six Feet Under, Curb Your Enthusiasm, and the Sopranos, HBO is probably the leading purveyor of good TV today. Sex and the City is probably one of its most enjoyable shows. So that's saying something. As a teenage straight guy, I was definitely a late comer to the series, as, well, let's just say the male heterosexual 18-25 year-old market is not one that Sex and the City is a major factor in. But it damn well should be. This show is written BRILLIANTLY, and takes turns at being both hillarious and touching. It even makes me like Sarah Jessica Parker, and I haven't liked her since "LA Story". Each of the girls has something different to offer us as viewers. Carrie (Parker) keeps us moving from scenario to scenario, Samantha (Kim Cattral) is a single-and-loving-it type that provides much of the sexual humor, Miranda (Cynthia Nixon)is endearing if not a little pathetic, and Charlotte (Kristin Davis) is just simply adorable. Not many shows make me yell at the screen or cheer while I'm watching, but after just two episodes, even I was starting to feel anxiety watching Carrie and Big tip-toe around their issues. Anyone who appreciates great writing and originality will love this show. Also, I have to tip my hat to the people writing the show, and especially the corporate execs at HBO for having the ... to go out while they're still relatively on top. That doesn't happen very often in today's profit-hungry entertainment industry! (I'm looking at you Wachowski brothers) I don't know what to expect from the final 8 episodes, but I do know when that 8th episode rolls around, the day after it is gonna be a very emotional one for the thousands of devoted fans that this show has captured the hearts of.
on July 22, 2003
Okay, let's start off with just saying that I started watching Sex and the City during it's fourth season. After I saw a few episodes, I went to Best Buy and bought The Complete First & Second Seasons of Sex and the City.
My eyes were glued to the tv. Side-splitting humor combined with four sexy women and I say you have a winner. One episode after another after another. It never gets old. This show really explores sexuality and what women think about it. I find this show very informative yet funny. Sometimes, I even forget I'm watching a show. I feel like I'm in NYC, with the ladies, talking about sex.
When The Complete Third Season came out on DVD, I bought it the first day it was for sale. Still great sexual humor. I couldn't get enough of it. But in the third season, the show started showing a more dramatic side of the characters. Not that I'm saying its bad, I just like it when you can have humor with information, with drama. And not too much drama, just enough.
As I was watching The Complete Fourth Season, I began to realize, I'm starting to connect with these characters. Thats amazing!
I highly anticipate the fifth and sixth seasons on DVD. The fifth season was short but sassy and comedic. Although I have only seen the first 5 episodes of the sixth and final season, I'm sure it'll be just as good or even better then the last 5 seasons. Though it will be sad to see the ladies go, I'm hoping they'll make a Sex and the City movie, or something to keep us SATC fans going.
So if you're out there...contemplating whether or not you should buy any of the show's DVDs, don't think twice about it, order them NOW. I recommend you order all so you can get the full "dose" of the show. So please, order the first, second, third, fourth, fifth, and sixth seasons of this wonderful and fabulous show.
on March 14, 2003
Sex and the city (SAC) has it all. Four sucessful women who show the world they have it all. 4 different caracters that reflects how hard is for a woman ,who lives in a city like NY, to date guys.
This is one of the greats achivements from HBO and definetly a must-buy.
You can't get bore of watching SAC. It has just the exact levels of eroticism and sex not to fall into a vulgar show. Besides, the scripts are so smart and not to mention the perfomances: Sara Jessica Parker as the smart columnist, Kristin Davis as the conservative lady, Cynthia Nicholson as the judgemental and last but no least (totally the opposite) the marvelous acting of Kim Kattrall as the bitchy, self-confidence, man-eater Samantha Jones (She's hot and she rules! ;)).
If you had had any experiences on bad dates, bad ruptures, bad romances, etc, etc, etc, .... watch this show you. Wheather you are a guy or a girl, you will identify with the comical situations.
Can't wait for the Fourth Season on DVD!
on September 29, 2002
Don't let anyone fool you! I am a 25 yr old man from NYC and every sunday night, I gather around the television with 4 or 5 close friends (many of them men)and wait for our favorite mambo jingle to come on, and Carrie's ballerina dress.
This show is the perfect blend of comedy and therapy. I have much to reflect on after an episode about my own relationships and the foolishness involved.
The questions asked as Carrie writes her articles (the basis for her narration in the series)provide quite stimulating conversation long after the episode has ended.
If you are reading this article, i am sure you have already seen seasons 1 and 2, and really don't need me to urge you to buy this season. However, this season is a favorite of mine because it Introduces Aiden, which could be the perfect guy for Carrie, but--well, you will see for yourself.
This DVD is a great way to get your friends hooked if they havent been already. As a matter of fact, 4 of my friends got hooked through the DVD series and not by watching it as it came out on HBO.
Enjoy for yourself, and raise your martini high!
on July 27, 2002
Never missing an episode of this HBO masterpiece original program, is on the top of my list. So was getting the Third season to add to my First and Second collections. ................. Being a native of New York City, and having worked, dated, and socialized in the one of a kind, glorious, non-stop party that IS life for those lucky enough to live it here, I can honestly say that "Sex.." captures the mood, spririt, and attitude of all the attractive, successful and confident New York women, and those like them elsewhere. While you watch, you really feel like you know Carrie, Samantha, Charlotte and Miranda. You are at once, sympathetic to their plight, and happy when they're happy. The characters remain as distinct in season three, as they have been through the past two seasons. However. in season three, I think they even go deeper into what really makes each character so fascinating. ................ There are some very "BIG" plots this time around, as Carrie's on again/off again. Mr. Big, (Chris Noth) goes way off and marries the much younger Natasha. I was as angry about this as Carrie! Of course, after he's committed, he wants Carrie more than ever. She simultaneously tries to juggle two men after meeting a very significant other, a sculptor named Aidan. Despite his complete difference from Big, and his solemn aversion to smoking, Carrie gets herself involved. This becomes the perfect fodder for Big's jealousy after a chance meeting with Carrie and Aidan at a furniture show he's attending with his WIFE. ............... Meanwhile, Charlotte meets Trey (Kyle McLachlan) a doctor who seems to be Mr. Right. A whirlwind romance leads to a proposal when Charlotte pops the suggestion and Trey says "Allrightie" much to her chagrin. Her steadfast resolve in saving "it" for the wedding, may lead to her overlooking a very important piece of the marriage puzzle. ............... As Miranda takes up living with the irritating, but simple and sweet Steve, and Samantha is, well, still Samantha, the four friends have more fun than ever. The season culminates in a foray to the west coast, where well known faces like Vince Vaughn, Hugh Hefner and Sarah Michelle Gellar pop in, are glitzy glamorous fun. Although, why a successful woman like Samantha would buy a fake Fendi handbag is beyond me! ............... For anyone who follows this great show, this third season set is a must-buy, must-keep and a must-see, over and over again.
on July 27, 2002
What a great series!!! I had no idea what I was missing! I hadn't watched any of the "Sex and the City" shows on HBO. I wrongly assumed by the title that it would be a shallow show -- WRONG. I now watch it regularly on HBO, never, ever miss it.

This show is not about sex so much as it's about a group of four friends and their journeys through love, loss, and questioning what's really important. The main character, Carrie (played so well by Sarah Jessica Parker), writes a newspaper column where she muses on the meanings of relationships and love. The story revolves around her friendships with the other three characters: Samantha -- a very loose woman who deep down longs for a lasting relationship but goes through lots of sexual escapades; Charlotte -- an uptight, but sweet upper-crust rich girl who loves and loses terribly; and Miranda -- a type A lawyer who can't seem to reconcile sharing her life and her personal space even if she's in love. The characters are very well developed and the actors portray them so well that you completely believe they are who they play.

The greatest pleasure of all is that this show is available on DVD. So if missed the show up until now like I did -- you must buy the DVDs. Be sure to start with season #1 and work your way to this set. I now own the first 3 season sets and anxiously await season 4. I promise you, you won't be disappointed with this one!