5.0 out of 5 stars Danger: This CD will change you forever
Wow, what can I say. If you have any inkling to expose yourself to beautiful music, then this CD is for you. Sigur Ros has quickly become a staple in my CD player, and I am sure it will for you.
This is what RadioHead has been trying to achieve, and Tom Yorkes invite to have Sigur Ros open for them only solidified my decision to purchase this disc.
Agaetis...
Published on June 10 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars talking about good music is like dancing about art
wow, this is the most awesome, utterly beautiful music i have ever heard. i have seen most of these songs performed live- 5 thru 8, and i have to say i have never been so impressed by anything, as someone who owns and hears an enormous amount of music. the vocals, perfect, the guitar, like a wall of onrushing sound, the percussion minimal and simple, the bass, climbing...
Published on April 27 2003 by Janet Summers

5.0 out of 5 stars Danger: This CD will change you forever, June 10 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Agaetis Byrjun (Audio CD)
Agaetis Byrjun , and () - another phenomenal piece of music, have the potential to change your music habits forever. The haunting vocals (which are not in any language I recognize) will stay in your head long after the CD has stopped.
The first time I listened to this it was like a whole new world of music was opened to me. I can only imagine this is exactly how people felt when first exposed to Dark Side of the Moon. The arrangement of instruments is simply stunning, and will have your emotions dancing all over the place.
Please do not let this CD get away from you. Ask your friends, and anyone else who has a broad view on music, they will likely agree.

5.0 out of 5 stars Innate, pure beauty., Jan. 11 2004
JF Léger (Quispamsis, New Brunswick, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Agaetis Byrjun (Audio CD)
'Agaetis Byrjun' is pure art, unlike most music released these days. Its innate beauty stuns at first listen and purely delights and sooths every listen thereafter. This album is unlike what most people have never considered possible, much less listened to. This, however, shouldn't daunt a prospective listener. Even if one does not enjoy this music (which I think is possible yet not common), one can appreciate the subtlety of Sigur Rós and their musical abilities.
My favorite song on 'Agaetis Byrjun' is 'Vidrar Vil tel Loftarasa' which is Icelandic (as is sung the album) for 'nice dau for an air raid'. It's mood is unlike any other I've felt in my large and diverse collection of music. Its corresponding video is touching, for both obvious and personal reasons.
On that note, I also recommend the Sigur 1/Sigur 9 single, not so much for the music CD than for the included DVD containing the breathtaking videos for 'Svefn-G-Englar', the abovementioned 'Vidrar Vil tel Loftarasa' from 'Agaetis Byrjun' and 'Untitled #1' from Sigur Rós' untitled following to 'Agaetis Burjun'

This album is definately a necessity for music-lovers young and old.

5.0 out of 5 stars What music can be..., Oct. 23 2002
Kozar (Toronto, ON Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Agaetis Byrjun (Audio CD)
Only purchase if you are serious about music. It is one of the most enlightening experiences you will ever have. Everyone I know who is passionate about music has this CD. It is absolutely breathtaking... oh and if you want other credits, Thom Yorke had Sigur Ros open up for Radiohead in Europe because he felt the same way about them as I do...

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST CD FOR GIVING BIRTH AND BREASTFEEDING!!!!, Nov. 14 2006
This review is from: Agaetis Byrjun (Audio CD)
I recommend this CD to every single pregnant mother I know. This CD is what got me through my labour. I laboured for 43 hours, and this CD was my life-saver. As well, it helps me and baby relax, so nursing is really peaceful for the both of us.

Betcha them Icelandic buggers weren't expecting THAT kinda review, eh?

5.0 out of 5 stars Best place to start., Dec 29 2005
Manuel (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Agaetis Byrjun (Audio CD)
If you heard a song or two from Sigur Ros -downloaded or from a friend- and haven't bought anything from them you must start here first.
to agree with Krist and Neil it did invoke Pink Floyd; Svefn-G-Englar starts almost exactly as "Echoes" did of Pink Floyd's 1971 album "Meddle".
This album Invokes all the groups strengths and weaknesses. If you examine one track on this album go straight to Ny Batteri, they are excellent mood makers and build up the tension only to let it explode in a great big clash of noise. This track is a great cut away of the album. The explosions of noise are MIA on ( ) and they are too prevelent on Takk... which may give the listener the wrong impression of the band. Without these burst of emotion the album would be completely boring in my opinion.
however their perennial weakness rears its ugly head -in my opinion- they take too god damn long to get rolling sometimes making their songs and albums long just for the sake of taking up my time. But alas it is art after all.

If you are not a fan, because you hate the way the singer sounds or some other stubborn reason like that, then avoid at all costs it will not win you over. However for the curious -like I was- and the patient, this is an album of sometimes overwhelming beauty -it gave me chills at some points- and I highly recommend it.
5 full stars for being their best work so far, and one of my favorite albums.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'VE FOUND NEAR PERFECTION, July 16 2004
R. A. Satterfield (Jacksonville FL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ágćtis Byrjun (Audio CD)
Anyone who appreciates beautiful music would love this album. It's not something you listen to when you're drunk in the club, or jamming in your car down the boardwalk on the beach, but its something to listen to and enjoy by yourself. These songs make you think of life, of past relationships, of God, and of the world. The only problem with this is, if you are mainly for lyrics, and you don't speak the language of this band, you will not understand a word, let alone spell a song's name. Do not listen to this album to find meaning in the words. Let the singer's voice and sounds be part of the music instead of focusing on what he is saying. I believe this is an album where you will either REALLY love it or it just won't be for you. If you are strictly into American pop music, hiphop/R&B, metal or hard rock, or close-minded to a certain hardcore sound, this album might not be for you. If you are open-minded to music that isn't just screaming and hardcore riffs, and isn't filled with hot beats with someone yappin about ridin on dubs and 24's, this might catch your ear. This is what music is supposed to be. I'm not saying this is what all music should be. I am saying that all music, whatever genre, should be on this level. If that were possible, the world would be a much more enjoyable place. If you have time to listen to this album, I strongly strongly strongly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, July 6 2004
R. Salomon "Good one" (Sioux City, Iowa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ágćtis Byrjun (Audio CD)
This is my number one desert island CD. Orgasmic and haunting are the best ways I can describe this album. If Iceland has it's own equivalent of the Smithsonian, than a copy of Agaetis Byrjun deserves to be placed in it immediately.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mind bending, influencial recordings, June 23 2004
This review is from: Ágćtis Byrjun (Audio CD)
I can only describe this album in few words, since there is so much to describe it with, it's amazing. Absolutely stunning. The violin bow added to the guitar playing is just great. Beautiful, melodic music. A good buy, and a classic to keep in your collection

5.0 out of 5 stars Yeah, what they said, June 22 2004
M. D. Lewis (Ravenstown, Maryland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ágćtis Byrjun (Audio CD)
I'm not one to go bonkers over instrumental soundscapes - give me three minutes and a good riff, and that's all I really need to get revved up - but this music is some potent stuff.
Svefn-g-Englar - all 10 or so minutes of it - should be blasting out of every stereo on the planet. I care not a damn that they could be singing "my bologna has a first name" in Icelandic. It still works and still moves one beyond compare. For Sigur Ros shows how music can speak louder - and more profoundly - than logorrheaical lyrical musings. Take heed, Sting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishing, June 16 2004
This review is from: Ágćtis Byrjun (Audio CD)
This is, without any doubt, some of the best music I have ever heard. It is a quantum leap above any of the music produced by bands in this genre; even such brilliant one's as Godspeed You! Black Emperor & Mogwai.
Colplay have cited Sigur Ros as a big influence and you can hear it. Though, as much as I love Colplay's music, comparing Sigur Ros, and especially this album with them, is like comparing The Beatles with a Cellular Phone ringtone.
This sounds like they've tapped in to a vien of music that no-one else has access to. Their only difficulty will be producing music at this level consistently. If they can, now they're signed to a major label, they will be massive.
If ever there was an essential album produced in the last five years, this is it.

ARRAY(0xb1262fcc)

Agaetis Byrjun
Agaetis Byrjun by Sigur Ros (Audio CD - 2001)