5.0 out of 5 stars DVD Review
Before buying the Dvd, I looked everywhere to find a review about it but I couldn't find any. So now that I bought it, I'm writing this for those who like me are looking for some details.
The DVD includes the following:
-Interactive Menus
-Scene Selections (with a photo for each of the 22 chapters that you can surf on 6 pages)
-Set Up (choosing...
Published on Aug. 22 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice Try, But Misses The Target...
Let me say right off...Whitney Houston is, without question, an extraordinarily gifted singer and Denzel Washington is one of Hollywood's best boxoffice draws...and, not without reason. But, those facts aren't enough to save this picture.
Published on Dec 17 2000 by Greg

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars DVD Review, Aug. 22 2002
By A Customer
The DVD includes the following:
-Interactive Menus
-Set Up (choosing captions for the hearing impaired in english, in other words subtitles)
-A Sneak Peak of the movie "Beaches".
-The picture is in widescreen 1:85 ration, the sound is Dolby 5.0 Surround.
I love the movie and I think it's one of the most positive, uplifting movies of all-time. It's great for christmas, the music is great and it has such a great message. This movie will make you smile from start to finish.
The sound and picture quality are decent. They are not excellent but overall they look solid. However I don't have Dolby 5.0 Surround to test how it sounds, I have just normal tv. Anyways I would've liked more features, maybe a French audio track, but I guess Buena Vista always releases older movie without investing too much. I heard that some of their Dvds have horrible sound/picture, thank God that for The Preacher's Wife it's ok. Also I don't understand the point of putting the "Beaches" sneak peak, they should've either put The Preacher's Wife trailers instead or put many other Sneak peak not only one because it looks weird.
For those who love the movie, I recommend that you buy the DVD. This is a *GREAT* movie and if you have the slightest interest in the story, or if you like "christmas movies", "denzel washington", "whitney houston", "gospel music", "comedy & romance", "feel good movies", etc. then pick it up right away!

5.0 out of 5 stars They still make family movies, Aug. 17 2002
"mniestradt" (Avila Beach, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Preacher's Wife DVD (DVD)
Every day I hear, "They just don't make family movies any more". Well, they are wrong. Yes, they are few and far between, but they do still make them and I, personally, appreciate those who write, produce, direct and perform in these movies; especially in a time when even the ratings on movies don't truly define the content of the movie as they once did. Remake or no, this is a wonderful family movie--it inspires, teaches, uplifts and entertains with quality performaces of all involved. Thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars great christmas movie!, Oct. 30 2002
Angie (New Glasgow, Nova Scotia Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Preacher's Wife DVD (DVD)
I was surprised, this was strange for me.. I normally like the classic verision of a movie so much better then the newer verision but with this movie (altho I do recommend to everyone to see The Bishops Wife) I liked the Preachers Wife better.
I think this is an adorable, classic movie, that can help get anyone in the Christmas spirit, I would recommend watching it with someone you love!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Girl Is Blessed, Aug. 17 2002
This review is from: Preachers Wife, the (VHS Tape)
For sure, anyone with half of a brain should know that Whitney Houston has, by far, the most blessed of singing voices I have ever heard. Not all singers are actresses. In this movie, she tends to be a little sedate; her speaking voice rarely rises above a whisper. And this girl is my favorite of all singers. Of course she is no Mahalia Jackson, let us not confuse that. However, she did go back to her roots with this somewhat "musical". I was not very impressed with the "total" movie itself. I believe I was more blindsided by it being star-filled. I gave it four stars because I know she had a good time with it and in my opinion, it was as though she told herself that she would get this one "gospel thing" under her belt for God. With the soundtrack, yes, she did just that. The movie, I would suggest that it needed a little work. I believe the excitement of having Whitney and Denzel on the same screen was very powerful for some. Now, place the two of them in "The Body Guard", they will make an outstanding contribution and give new meaning to the word "chemistry". Believe me, I love Whitney very much, and I have followed her for years, I know her.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Movie, Dec 23 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: The Preacher's Wife DVD (DVD)
Without question, this has to be a movie that rates with "It's a Wonderful Life"; but contrary to the editors view, this one is a keeper. I've watched it at least three times this Christmas season on WGN. Perhaps if people like the editor cared less for violent films, he might see the real meaning in this classic film. I rate it first class all the way!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Black 'It's A Wonderful Life', Oct. 16 2001
Jason Young (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Preachers Wife, the (VHS Tape)
In the same way that Motown produced a black version of 'The Wizard of Oz' whereby they could see characters that looked like them, the makers of 'The Preacher's Wife' produced a black version of 'It's A Wonderful Life' so that the characters could reflect the black community. Although I sympathise with the emotional connection of audiences with characters that look like them, I do feel that 'It's A Wonderful Life' was a universal story and that 'The Preacher's Wife' was just a black version of it that didn't improve upon the story. It was an enjoyable film to watch, but one couldn't help being overwhelmed with the tones of 'It's A Wonderful Life' ringing in the distance.
There were, however, some redeemable qualities to it. It teamed up Whitney Houston with Denzel, as well as Gregory Hines as supporting artist and Courtney B. Vance from 'The Tuskegee Raiders' and 'Black Panthers'.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice Try, But Misses The Target..., Dec 17 2000
Greg (Tucson, Arizona USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Preachers Wife, the (VHS Tape)
Those who have seen this film and have not seen its predecessor, "The Bishop's Wife," have only seen the inadequate imitation. There is no comparison between the two, other than plot similarities.
If you want a beautiful bit of Christmas drama, a touch of humor and truly superb acting, the better choice is "The Bishop's Wife." I don't say that merely because it is a "classic," but because of the reasons that make it a classic. The texture of the story and the subtle acting nuances add a richness to the film which is, unfortunately, missing from this updated version.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice Try, But Misses The Target..., Dec 17 2000
Greg (Tucson, Arizona USA) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite Christmas movie!, Dec 4 2002
S. McElligott (California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Preacher's Wife DVD (DVD)
Contrary to what the reviewer that Amazon.com used has to say, I loved this movie. Maybe it's because my love of gospel music. Maybe it's because I'm a hopeless romantic. Whatever the reason, this movie is just one of those "feel good movies" that you can watch over and over and over again. I love Denzel's character and he portrays the angel in such a light hearted way. Whitney Houston does her usual magnificent heavenly music and the supporting cast is great as well. Yes, it's a simple story. But it will be well worth your time to watch it over and over again. If not for the story, then for the music. If you love gospel music, I highly recommend the soundtrack as well. It's wonderful! Do yourself a favor this Christmas, and pick up a copy of this DVD. You won't be disappointed!

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth watching if only to see Denzel, Aug. 26 2000
This review is from: Preachers Wife, the (VHS Tape)
I didn't think too much of this movie. There was a lot of star power here, but the script fell flat. Whitney Houston looks like she's terrifically bored with the whole thing and Denzel, as the angel Dudley, is gorgeous (of course), but even he can't save this movie. Singer Lionel Richie also has a small role in this film as Julia's (Whitney's character) friend, a jazz pianist. It was a pleasant surprise to see him, since I didn't even know he was in this film.
"The Preacher's Wife" does have its moments (I enjoyed Jenifer Lewis' performance), but for the most part, it's bland and uninteresting. It is kind of sweet for the kids to watch, though, so for them I'd recommend it. That is, if they can stay awake long enough.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Preacher's Wife DVD
The Preacher's Wife DVD by Penny Marshall (DVD - 2002)
CDN$ 6.25