5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!
I like this film and everything is perfect. This film give you strengt to continue on life and it's what you want to do with it
Published 9 months ago by Mme Carole D. Brideau

3.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, but no where near the power of the book.
Solid movie. For fans of the book however, this picture does not come close to evoking the emotions felt in type. A much better job could have been done, not by the actors, but by the director, in capturing the sheer weight of the undertaking, and especially the expedition. I did not have the overwhelming feeling of accomplishment at the end that I did when reading...
Published on April 2 2004

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, Oct. 13 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars beautifull, Dec 17 2012
This review is from: Alive (30th Anniversary Edition) (DVD)
this is a great movie about courage,unity,it is very touching and it shows you that men can be humane .a must to have to a great collection

5.0 out of 5 stars Great movie!!, Nov. 16 2012
This review is from: Alive (30th Anniversary Edition) (DVD)
I had this movie on VHS, now I got it on DVD, is a real true story. I am from Chile, and this happened in Los Andes.

5.0 out of 5 stars "HUMAN SPIRIT- The innate desire to triumph, Dec 14 2002
This review is from: Alive (30th Anniversary Edition) (DVD)
...in the face of adversity."
ALIVE is one of my top favorite movies. It's about the power of the human spirit to overcome anything. I love movies dealing with this topic. The movie begins with: "1972, A South American rugby team, together with some friends and relatives crosses the Andes to play a game in neighboring Chile."
They never arrive at their destination...or do they?
The anthropography (a branch of anthropology dealing with the distribution of man as distinguished by physical character, language, institutions, and customs) is one of the best developed I have ever seen in a movie. (Bravo to Frank Marshall!) This is one of the things I love most about the movie--watching the interactions with each other. I feel as if I know each one. All emotion and soul is bared here, from the deep love and brotherhood to the frustration and anger they feel. They survived many trials besides the plane crash and starvation which I will save for you to see. What impresses me most besides their will to fight and survive, is how, through it all, they kept God with them--through prayer and in their hearts.
I have watched ALIVE countless times and wondered if I were one of them who would I have been? Obviously Nando (Hawke) I considered first, as well as the medical student and his fellow climber, Roberto Canessa. But I must say that Carlitos, is my favorite character and the one closest to my heart. With his remorse ("I yelled at her...God forgive me!") prayers (he led the group each night in Hail Mary), his humor ("Hey, I'll pay for the pizza if you go and get it!"), his spirituality ("Do you feel it?" What? "God. God is everywhere today.") his love ("I love you all so much."/"God bless you all.") and hope ("I had a dream last night, a tremendous premonition. I saw green fields and flowers--I could smell the grass. Your expedition WILL SUCCEED.")
There is so much to learn and take with you watching this movie. Alive is a story that was destined to be told. My highest recommendation and 10/10 stars.
Soar!
Additional comments: "This film is dedicated to the 29 who died and the 16 who survived."
The music by James Newton Howard is the closest to perfect there can be for this movie. I especially love "Ava Maria" playing on the end credits. I must have this score. If anyone can help, please email me.
Do watch the all special features such as "Alive 20 Years Later" and two others. I deeply respect the actual survivors sharing their story with us and wish to say a heartfelt thank you. You all have touched me more than words can say.
o8E

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST MOVIE I HAVE EVER SEEN, Sept. 10 2011
J. Perrotta "King John" (St-Leonard, Quebec Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Alive (30th Anniversary Edition) (DVD)
This true story is tragic but remarkably made into a movie. You can feel yourself in it and in the end explode from being saved.
Excellent movie to share amongst the younger generation of today. It will make them realize that an XBOX and a Wii is not as important as life itself.

5.0 out of 5 stars a beautiful film., April 14 2009
mary fitzwilliam darcy (toronto, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Alive (30th Anniversary Edition) (DVD)
a must see. makes me cry every time I watch it. The ending song with Aaron Neville is just about one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever put on screen...

5.0 out of 5 stars interesting study in psychology, Dec 25 2007
This review is from: Alive (30th Anniversary Edition) (DVD)
Like others have said, the director handled the uncomfortable aspects of this storyline in a tactful and compassionate manner. An interesting study in psychology, the film describes a real-life Survivor scenario, as in the reality television show. Ethan Hawke's character is the one I find most memorable, including his dangerous hike out of the mountains to safety. Author of Adjust Your Brain: A Practical Theory for Maximizing Mental Health.

5.0 out of 5 stars Power of the Human Spirit, June 18 2004
M. Lee (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Alive (30th Anniversary Edition) (DVD)
This is one of those overlooked movies that few people have heard about let alone have seen.
It's a gem among disaster/survival flicks. Well crafted by Frank Marshall and the cast.
An uplifting movie that when watched keeps misfortune in perspective for those who haven't gone through such arduous extremes.
Watch this movie when you feel you've had a bad day and quit whining.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, but no where near the power of the book., April 2 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Alive (VHS Tape)
The ending is true to the text, but glossy and rushed.
Uplifting, to be sure, but yet another example of missed opportunity in turning an incredible book into a so-so film.
Three stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intense and uplifting, Jan. 27 2004
Bala (Hyderabad, India) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Alive (30th Anniversary Edition) (DVD)
Frank Marshall's celluloid recreation of Andes tragedy and the stupendous will of the survivors is intensely gripping and moving. As one of the reviewers remarked that if one wants to see a demonstration of human will and spirit, just watch this movie. I watched this movie on HBO and during the entire length was absolutely seized by it. I kind of felt myself going through the horrendous ordeal and was crying uncontrollably in second half. I was so stricken and moved by the tremendous ordeal(there's no stronger word than this)my heart pleaded for their rescue every second of the movie. Kudos to Frank Marshall for managing to create such a masterpiece....few movies manage to seize viewers....this belongs to that elite category.
The cast is uniformly excellent in performances and special praise for the Latino looking guy and Eathen Hawke. Cinematography is absolutely stunning right from the plane crash, avalanches, majestic sunrises to seatsledge rides.Watching the movie was so emotionally stirring and I wonder how the real survivors managed to stay alive under horrific odds. Truly a tale of indestructible human spirit, strength of will to survive, courage to face the meanest of hardships.
The basic plot is explained by other reviewers so I won't go into it. Please, please watch it and marvel at the strength of human Spirit. Hope Frank Marshall makes more such movies.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Alive (30th Anniversary Edition)
Alive (30th Anniversary Edition) by Frank Marshall (DVD - 2003)
CDN$ 6.25 CDN$ 5.97