1,004 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Em's newest effort
This really is a great cd. Listening to it almost feels like an autobiography. Em continues where he left on in "The Marshall Mathers LP" and keeps everything very fresh.
Published on July 9 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Gets BOOOring in a long run
Published on May 24 2004 by ShiZniT

5.0 out of 5 stars Em's newest effort, July 9 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Eminem Show (Audio CD)
2.White America--Em bashes Lynne Cheney, the "hypocrisy" of America, and what he calls "The United States of Embarrassment". At the end of the track though, em laughs and utters "I'm just playin America, you know i love you."-4/5
3.Buisness--Em shows his "Sidekick" partnership with Dr. Dre in this "Batman and Robin" feel type track. My favorite parts of this song is the end of each chorus when Em ask "Can i get a witness?", and Dre yells "Hell yeah!".-4/5
4.Cleanin Out My Closet--Everyone has heard this song and anyone can recognize the catchy chorus. Slim tells us about this drug-addict mother, his cheating wife, and his bad public persona. Nothing you haven't heard before. Nonetheless, great lyrics-4/5
5.Square Dance--Very deceiving title...This song bashes the Bush administration and doesn't let up. Great song to get mad to. The chorus can get very annoying though.-3/5
7.Soldier--This song has a very interesting beat. Very good lyrics too, about how em has learned to take all of the hard times in his life like a soldier. One of my favorites on the cd-5/5
8.Say Goodbye Hollywood--This song really isn't that bad. The beat sounds like it took only a few minutes to create, but I really like the lyrics-3/5
9.Drips--A very amusing song about sex (etc.) feat. Obie Trice. The edited version of this album does not include this song.-4/5
10.Without Me--Em brings back his alter-ego Slim Shady for this song and does not dissapoint. The beat on this track reminds me of "The Real Slim Shady". This is a very funny song.-5/5
12.Sing for the Moment-Em's take on the classic Aerosmith tune "Dream On". Dream On is one of my favorite (rock) songs of all time, and I think Em really does the song justice. A little slow, but great rhyming-5/5
13.Superman--When I bought this cd, I expected this track to be a lot better. To be honest, I was quite dissapointed at this song. I do like the hook in the middle, though, but the chorus is more annoying than not-3/5
14.Hailies Song--I love this song. Eminem takes time out to actually sing a very heartfelt song for his daughter, and does a very good job. Em is actually an o.k. singer and the chorus in this song is song has been stuck in my head for days-4/5
16.When the Music Stops--This track could have easily been on a D12 cd, since every member of the group has a verse in it. I actually like Bizarre's verse the best in this song no matter how crazy that sounds.-4/5
17.Say What you Say--A pretty cool song w/ Dre, but the chorus is very reppetitive and boring. This song could have used some re-tooling-3/5
18.'Till I Collapse-A very basic beat, and some very above-average lyrics. And, what modern rap song in this day is complete without a chorus by Nate Dogg?-5/5
19.My Dad's Gone Crazy--This is definitely the most underrated song on the cd. I did not even know this track existed until I bought this album. Em's daughter, Hailie Jade Scott, sings a line in the chorus that makes this a fun song to listen too. While the second verse is kind of disgusting, the third verse in this song will have you re-winding your cds to listen to it over and over and over again. Wow-5/5
This CD is definitely worth the money and is a good choice to buy. Part II of the Marshall Mathers LP, and even better. 10/10 lyrics, 9/10 beats, and 10/10 production

5.0 out of 5 stars Guess who's back? Shady's back! With a vengeance!!, Nov. 2 2002
Patrick L. Randall (Silver Spring, MD) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Eminem Show (Audio CD)
Ok, everyone, it's about time that people put aside their doubts about Eminem's skills or staying power! Slim Shady's third album, "The Eminem Show" proves once and for all that Mr. Mathers is extremely talented, in addition to being a lightning rod for controversy. With his debut album in 1999, "The Slim Shady LP", it would easy to have written him off as another white rapper being a pretender to the throne of hip-hop greatness. Even with catchy songs like "My Name is" and "Guilty Conscience" making loud noise on the Top-40 charts, critics were in a hurry to lump him with other 'Great White Hopes' that flamed out like Vanilla Ice (just a complete joke) and Snow (just never found an audience). The success of his sophomore album, "The Marshall Mathers LP" shocked many and showed he had staying power, but the truth is, Eminem was destined for success from the start.

First, Eminem is a gifted lyricist and free-stylist, which already separates him from the pre-fabricated hip-hop garbage like Ja Rule and such. Second, he made the crucial decision early on to ally himself with arguably the most respected and skillful name in the hip-hop world, Dr. Dre. With Dre's expert and ORIGINAL sound backing up Shady's vocals, it was inevitable that he would be successful and that eventually people would come around to realize his talent.

"The Eminem Show" continues to show the evolution of that talent. "Without Me" captures the same fast-paced, light-hearted slams at popular culture that "The Real Slim Shady" did on his previous album. In addition to such 'amusing' songs like that and "White America", Eminem delves deeper into, and makes some peace with, his sordid past. "Cleaning Out My Closet" goes right to the heart of his pain about his upbringing and his fractured relationship with his mother. If his lyrics in this song are indeed and accurate depiction of his life growing up, then it's no wonder he's such an angry individual. Yet, through that anger, he seems to be making peace with himself, even if it means terminating any relationship with his mother. It's gritty, harsh, but real material.

Eminem is branching out into movies now with a loosely autobiographical "8 Mile". Early reviews there seem positive, too. It's always fascinating to see what he will produce next. The controversy he generates grabs people's attention the first time. The skill and talent that he displays keeps people returning each additional time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shady's back and better then ever!, July 4 2002
This review is from: The Eminem Show (Audio CD)
Shady seems to get wizer with his lyrics ever album. This album explodes with great lyrics, beats, and a tight production. Dr. Dre and Eminem are the best duo. Marshall tells about social issues in America he expresses his thoughts in great detail throughout the album you get a sense of what he is going through in his life.
Curtains Up Skit- Show's Eminem ready to talk on the microphone.
White America- Displays Eminem's talent to reach out to his fans and how's he's influenced them awesome song! Very heavy
Business- One of my favorite tracks it's awesome with Dre's beats. It's kind of a batman and Robin duo. Great Lyricsm on this track it's a standout!!
Cleanin Out My Closet- Eminem talks about his fame, his ex wife, and his mother, this song tells the fans what Eminem's feeling.
Square Dance- Don't let the title fool you. Eminem seems mad on this track he trash talks canibus! It's a good rap song.
The Kiss Skit- The events that led to Eminem's arrest.
Soldier- Tells about how even though Eminem has had lawsuits against him, the press against him, and his newfound fame, he takes it all in and still moves on like a soilder.
Say Goodbye Hollywood- Talks about all the things that have happened to Shady and how he needs to keep his feet above the ground.
Drips- Talks about Obie Trice he raps about sex and STDS. Basically a son about Eminem's fictional girlfriend.
Without Me- One of my favorite tracks. Eminems first lead single and he basically tells about how he's back and better then ever. Very funny song.
. Paul Rosenberg (Skit)- Em's manager telling em not to carry a gun around anywhere.
Sing For The Moment- Aerosmith tune telling how his fans and other enterainers are attached to em.
Superman- Tells about his ex wife. And how he can care less about the situation. How's he single and his laid back attitude.
Hailie's Song- Lovesong to his daughter. Describing his feelings in this heartfelt song.
Steve Berman(skit) - The head of Interscope records says what he wants to say about this album.
When The Music Stops- Awesome talks about Em's issues and what he's feeling tight beat guest spot by D12 one of my favorite songs on this album.
Say What U Say - Em and Dre rap dissing Jermaine Dupri.
'Till I Collapse- Don't really like this song tells about how em is going to continue with his rap career till he collapse how much he loves the game and how rapping is his life!
My Dad's Gone Crazy- Eminem shines on this song it tells about him and what we've known all along Em is a little crazy!
The Curtains close- The Em show sadly ends.
*****5 stars great album!! Funny

4.0 out of 5 stars Copped a Pac listener, July 12 2004
Jeff (Boulder, CO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Eminem Show (Audio CD)
I was never impressed with Eminem when he first came out with Slim Shady. It was music that the loser, pissed off kid in the corner of the high school gym listened to. I was on the underground tip with Dilated Peoples' "The Platform", Swollen Members' "Balance", etc. I dug some mainstream stuff like old school Jay-Z (Reasonable Doubt), Nas (Illmatic), and Tupac. Eminem rapped about raping his mother and killing his wife in front of his daughter. I wonder to this day why somebody would get enjoyment out of listening to some of those songs released on his 2nd(Slim Shady) and 3rd(Marshall Mathers) L.P.s
Then something strange happened, Eminem released an intelligent, introspective, angry, politically charged, and seductive album with sick beats and an aggressive flow. In short, he used a gimmick to get on top and now that he's there, he's not messing around with his talent. He's an amazing artist and now that he's made his millions, he wants you to know it. This album is defined by contradictions and that is precisely what makes it attractive.
He viciously attacks the very hand that has fed him as well as foreign policy and the war on terrorism with his song "White America". Em addresses the state of hip hop in the bouncy track "Business" and throws in a little braggadocia. He attacks his mother, his inner issues about his upbringing, and his insecurities on "Cleaning Out My Closet." He attacks Bush and the war on terror again with "Squaredance," warning kids that the threat is real as well as takes some time to tell Canibus how he feels about him and threaten his life. There's an angry, humorous commentary about STD's on "Drips" where I felt like Em got a little too violent but Obie drops one of the most hilarious verses I've heard. There's the single "Without Me" which is one of the only tracks I skip. This is followed by a truly inspired song "Sing For The Moment." Eminem raps with an urgency not many MC's can get across in their music.
Hailie's Song Quote:
"Just know that I grow colder the older I grow
This boulder on my shoulder gets heavy and harder to hold
And this load is like the weight of the world
And I think my neck is breakin'
Should I just give up
Or try to live up to these expectations?
Now look
I love my daughter more than life in itself
But I got a wife who's determined to make my life livin' hell
But I handle it well, given the circumstances I'm dealt
So many chances, man, it's too bad, coulda had someone else
But the years that I've wasted are nothin' to the tears that I've tasted."
Eminem spits fire right up until the climax with 'Til I Collapse, which is one of the most intense pieces of rugged hip hop I've heard in recent years. "The criminal, cop killin hip-hop villian/A minimal swap to cop millions of 'Pac listeners/You're comin with me, feel it or not you're gonna fear it like I showed you the spirit of God lives in us."

5.0 out of 5 stars 1 OF HIS BEST!!, June 27 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Eminem Show (Audio CD)
it pains me 2 see people give this cd bad reviews. eminem is 1 of the best rappers out there and this is more of an emoational cd for him here are the list of songs and my rating for them.
1. skit: curtains up. 1/5
kind of a stupid way 2 open up but ok
2. White America 4/5
great song where eminem talks about people who feel the same way as him
3. Buiness 4/5
good song em and dre do a kind of a batman and robin thing in the start. good song with a good beat
4. Cleaning out my closet 3/5
an ok song where em talks bout his mom. beat is ok but a little slow
5. square dance 3/5
strange song, but a good beat and a little funny
6. skit: the kiss
tells bout his wife kissing a bouncer and leading up to the next song
7. soldier 5/5
GREAT SONG! fast beat, good lyrics and a little comedic at some points
8. say goodby 2 hollywood 2/5
not the best song he ever made but ok lyrics
9 drips 5/5
dont know y he kalled it that but o well. good song obie and em funny on ems part. they rap bout eminems fake girlfriend cheating on him with obie. and obie trice goes into detail bout what he and the "girlfriend" did
10 without me 5/5
great song!! very fast but funny, catchy lyrics, great beat, and very funny. u kould listen 2 it all day long
11. skit: Paul Rosenberg
ems lawyer telling him not 2 kary a gun around
12. sing for the moumnt 3/5
iffy song but good if ur in a bad mood. kinda slow but lyrics are good
13. superman 5/5
good song good beat, a little slow but not country slow. where em talks bout his wife and hos
14. skit: Steve Berman 2/5
i gave this 1 a rating kause it is kinda funny. it is the head of interscope telling em what he thinks of the album with aint nothing but music playing in the back round
15. till the music stops 5/5
d12 makes a guest apperance on this song. great song fast, good lyrics, and a good end
16. say what you say 3/5
em and dre rapen bout another rapper but i kant rember his name, but all in all a good song. the only problem is the beat. it is ok but not the best
17. till i colaps 4/5
a great song with a great beat, but not the best. he talks bout that he'll never leave the rap game till he colapes
18 dads gone crazy 5/5
1 OF THE BEST SONGS HE HAS EVER MADE!! this song has got it all, increadable beat, great speed, witty lyrics, and very humrous. what more kan i say? this song is the bomb!!
19. skit: curtains close
ken is back doing an empresion of without me. and is funny my band takes a line from it.
this cd is defintly worth the money i would advise u 2 buy it

4.0 out of 5 stars A Knock out, June 18 2004
Gabrial Cordova (Fresno, Ca USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Eminem Show (Audio CD)
A Phenominal piece of work by a rapper who has offically put himself in the ranks of Hip Hops ellite. Not saying he's the greatest rapper alive he'd have to fight Jay-z and Nas for that title. But on "The Eminem Show" Slim Shady is rarely seen, you see more of Marshall Mathers rather than his two alter egos. If you want smart ass sarcasm sorry you only have "Without Me" and "My Dads Gone Crazy" to choose from. "Superman" explores mysogony and "Buisness" has a banging Dre back drop. But Eminem seems like he has actually found something to fight for on this album and not just swinging at pop stars and people who have backed him in a corner. "Square Dance" "White America" and "Say Goodbye to Hollywood" are great pieces of work that fight for himself and others. Cop this disc it's money well spent, "Cleaning out My Closet" and "Sing For the Moment" with an Areosmith sample are tear jerkers and hearing Dre & Em toss rhymes back and forth like hot potatoe on "Say What You Say" is entertaining to listen to. "Drips" and "When the Music Stops" are the only songs that blow fat ones but two songs out of a 20 track LP doesn't leave this album tainted. Eminem is pushing thirty and he can't be rapping about what he used to, so it's good to see that has matured to an adult even though Slim Shady peeks his little head out a few times.

1.0 out of 5 stars eminem the rapper is garbage like the M&M wrapper, May 28 2004
Mikky Mouse (Trendy Thugs & Pop-Rap is Gay) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Eminem Show (Audio CD)
I dunno how people like his muzik...SERIOUSLY...and i dunno why i bought thiz stupid CD...when i popped thiz cd into my stereo...the muzik soundz childish...it felt like i wuz playin children muzik cuz eminem actz so silly and retarded...The beats and the muzik is a huge embarrassment to play in front of somebody...when i see hiz videoz...he makez himself look more stupid...i dunno how yall deal with thiz goofy rapper...i didnt listen to hiz lyrics because i couldnt stand hiz childish muzik...so then i gave the cd to my friend...but he gave it back to me (dammit!!!)...but the cd was damage because i think my friend dropped in tha floor and scratched it...but i dont care...i bought thiz crap for 9 buckz and i still dont care cuz itz just stupid muzik...i wouldnt even buy it for 1 cent...if you buy it accidently...then use it as a frisbee...itz cool seeing a flying disc then listenin to thiz crap...oh yeah also dont but that stupid 50 cent...HE SUCKZ...buy 2pac, 3-6 mafia, tommy wright III, esham, natas...theze are real true rapperz

3.0 out of 5 stars Gets BOOOring in a long run, May 24 2004
ShiZniT (The LanD oF The HeartLeSS) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Eminem Show (Audio CD)
This is the first Eminem album I have, and this will be my last. I admit, I was completely blown away the first time I listened to this album. I thought this was the real bomb that I wanted to go out and buy all of his albums. Thank God I didn't. I played this album every day non-stop for about 1 month . And that is when I realize that it gets boring. Believe me, this album has a low replay value. You can play it about 20 times and then it gets boring. Believe me. It's nowhere near compared to such classics as "All Eyez on Me", "Me Against the World", "Ready to die", "Doggystyle" , "Chronic" etc. Those classics out there won't age even a single day and you can just play it over and over and over again to death. I really don't know what is so special about Eminem, why there are so many kids idolizing him. Sure his lyrics are really funny, but the funniness of it will just fade and disappear after you listened to the song about 5-10 times. Take for example the song "Criminal" (" So as I got older and I got a lot taller, my d**k shrunk smaller but my balls got larger"). First time I heard that, I almost choked from laughing. But after just couple more listens, I didn't find it funny anymore. Same thing can be said with "Without Me", "Drips", "Real Slim Shady", "My Name Is" just to name a few. Sure Eminem is really good, no question 'bout that, but he is not THAT good. I can honestly say that there are a bunch of rappers out there who are more talented and better than Eminem (Kurupt, Daz, DJ Quik, Krayzie Bone, Big L, to name a few). From my point of view, I think the reasons why Eminem sold millions of albums is because he is white and he is backed up by Dr. Dre (just like 50 cent). Eminem said so himself in "White America" ("Let's do the math. If I was black, I would've sold half"). Another thing, I wonder why Eminem disses female pop artists like Britney and Christina when they are out of his league and they have done nuthin' against him. I don't mind if Eminem disses f*gg*t boybands and male pop artist cause they deserved to be dissed anyway. But dissing females like Britney and Christina is going too far. No wonder why Christina Aguilera retaliates back and makes his own version of "The Real Slim Shady" entitled "Will The Real Slim Shady Please Shut Up" (You gotta listen to this, she completely destroys Eminem here "Even his girlfriend cheated on him, Look at him walking around, livin' off Dre, acting so cool but he's really kinda weak though"). Eminem should be ashamed of himself because he is completely destroyed by a female pop artist. Hey, don't get me wrong, I'M NOT A HATER but I'm not a fan either, I'm just telling the truth. Anyway, highlights on this album are the 2nd single, and the best song on the album, "Cleaning out my closet". This is got to be Em's most personal and heartfelt song where he completely diss his own mama. This is the exact opposite of 2paC's "Dear Mama". Could you believe it that here in our place, a local lawmaker even tried to ban this particular song on the airwaves because it provokes hate towards our own mama. Next is "Till I collapse", this got to be one of Em's best song. I wonder why it didn't become a single. Nate's hook on this is really good. "Sing for the Moment" is the third single to come out. It deserves to be a single as Em talks about his critics and how the media treats him badly. The first single "Without me" is gotta be the worst song on the album. I just don't like commercial songs. "Drips" ft. his protégé Obie Trice is either funny or disgusting depending of what type of person you are. I find it funny at first especially Obie's verse but now it's kind of really disgusting. "Superman" is somewhat funny where he talks about how b*****s just come and go. Here is a breakdown to all the tracks rated from 1-5 (5 being the highest.)
1. intro
2. White America - (2/5)
3. Business - (3/5) I like it at first, but it really grows old fast
4. Cleaning Out My Closet - (5/5)
5. Square Dance - (2/5) Another one of those stupid songs similar to Without Me
6. Skit
7. Soldier - (4.5/5) A track where Eminem just rips the mic apart similar to that of "The Way I Am"
8. Say Goodbye to Hollywood - (3.5/5)
9. Drips - (3/5) Either funny or disgusting depending on what type of person you are
10. Without Me - (1/5) Very catchy tune and funny at first, but gets boring.
11. Skit
12. Sing for The Moment - (5/5)
13. Superman - (4/5)
14. Hailie' Song - (4/5) I actually liked this especially Em's 3rd verse
15. Skit
16. When the Music Stops - (3.5/5)
17. Say What u Say - (3/5) a diss to Jermaine Dupri
18. Till I Collapse - (5/5)
19. My Dad's Gone Crazy - (2/5) another 1 of those stupid songs, a diss to his mama
20. Outro
So here it is the complete breakdown of all the tracks. If I were you I would just download the great songs (Cleaning Out My Closet, Till I Collapse, Sing For the Moment, Soldier, Superman) because the album really gets boring in a long run. Believe me. If I were you, I won't waste my money buying Eminem albums and instead invest in some great music.
[!] PEACE [!]

5.0 out of 5 stars The Eminem Show, May 4 2004
This review is from: The Eminem Show (Audio CD)
Whether you love him or hate him, it's hard to deny that Eminem is the best rapper today, and may be the best rapper of all time. His clear diction, rapid fire delivery, innovative beats, and clever lyrics make for very entertaining music.
The Eminem Show follows up the Grammy winning Marshall Mathers LP with a bang. The great thing about this LP is it doesn't fall into the trap of so many artisits, especially rap artists, of basically putting out follow-up LPs that sound the same as their last album. This is a new, fresh piece of work with the same clever lyrics and controversial, in your face style we've come to expect.
Without Me, probably the most popular song on the album (excepting possibly Cleaning Out My Closet which got a lot of airplay for the cleaned-up version), is my favorite. But all the songs, with a few expeptions, are very entertaining. This is not a CD for which I find myself reaching for the skip button after every other song.
I rate this CD an impressive SIX stars:
White America *
Buisness *
Cleanin Out My Closet *
Without Me **
Superman *
Most of the other songs on the CD are very good too. This is one of my most listened to LPs.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Ratings: CDs are rated simply by how many good songs are on the album. Great songs get two stars, and good songs get one star. Songs that get no stars are those that I might like but not enough to give it a star or ones I find boring or actively dislike. CDs are not penalized for songs that I don't like because they are easy enough to skip over. There is no maximum number of stars a CD can get, but of course the more stars it gets, the better the CD.

1.0 out of 5 stars Breaking limits, April 27 2004
T. Torres "antiradioandmtv" (Miami, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Eminem Show (Audio CD)
This is one of those that break the limit. He is a total wannabe!!! wannabe "gangsta", wannabe rapper, wannabe bad but he is just another pop star. He is scary as Britney Spears is a metal music Legend. This moron is just that. A MORON!!! His fans that "keep it real" are white people. Yes. He sells so much because the white girls buy his crap. "He sells millions and you could never do that", "stop the hate". HAHAHAHAHA.Poor people. They are actually funny now.His pictures is in those magazines for middle school and high school girls. OH yeah, next to his picture you see pictures of the other pop stars. Timberlake, Britney Spears (Hey Eminem, You like to make fun of Spears? you are just as fake as she is and why is your picture next to her picture? HAHAHA),Blink182, Avril Lavigne and 50Cent(Yes ,that sucker is a pop star too). "Ohh he writes good lyrics". Well what kind of language do you people speak? Please. His lyrics are extremnly stupid. My neighbor's dog has more talent than this wannabe. He is another poser used by MTV and the industry.The people that like him are mostly WHITE. Isn't it sad? I hate Britney Spears but there is actually a detail that makes her better than this moron. She is a POP princess and she says that a POP princess is what she is . This one is also a POP princess but he doesn't even admit it.

The Eminem Show
The Eminem Show by Eminem (Audio CD - 2002)
Click for more info