1,827 Reviews
 (1,191)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh New Sound
Published on June 6 2002 by gyrfalcon987

3.0 out of 5 stars Alright
"Let Go" is alright, but there are far too many fillers! Lavigne's 2nd album, "Under My Skin", is alot better, so if you want an Avril CD don't get this one. Song-by-song review:
Published on Feb. 3 2006

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh New Sound, June 6 2002
gyrfalcon987 (Oberlin, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Let Go (Audio CD)
When I saw Avril on TRL and she was Carson's pick of the week I thought she was absolutely awesome at first site! Avril is a 17 year rock skateboard person from a small town in Ontario. I would reccommend this to anyone who likes Vanessa Carlton or Michelle Branch but Avril is better. She is very similair to those three (each play an instrument, are young, write their songs, and arent victimized by teeny bopper stuff). This whole album is written by Avril!
Losing Grip-This is one of the more rock songs. It has a cool, catchy chorus but a little to hard rock for me-8/10
Complicated-Avril's first single-one of the two more pop/rock songs. Absolutely brilliant! The music video is really cool and the lyrics and everything. It is also mixed really well. Probably the second best song on the cd-10/10
Sk8r Boi-This will be her second single. Sorta of like Complicated but I think it has a more catchy chorus. I also love the lyrics on this I think they are pretty funny. My favorite song on the cd-10/10
I'm With You-This is one of Avril's ballads. It has a catchy chorus (like all of her songs). In this song you can her how great her voice is-9/10
Mobile-This song is one of the sorta rock songs. Another one with a catchy chorus-8/10
Unwanted-This song reminds me of Vanessa Carlton. Another of the hard rock songs. I don't really care for this track-7/10
Tomorrow-This is a really pretty ballad that is very nice to listen to-9/10
Anything But Ordinary-In this song Avril speaks out about not wanting to bel ike other people. It has cool lyrics. Another catchy chorus-10/10
Things I'll Never Say-One of the many songs that almost sounds at the beginning like it is Scottish. She even does a little Scottish chant thingy at the beginning of this one. It is pretty cool. This is another of my favs-10/10
My World-This song has a little pop feel. It has cool lyrics about her home town and a cool chorus-10/10
Nobody's Fool-This is a really great song!!! She sorta "raps" in it. Which is sorta funny. Another cool track-9/10
Too Much To Ask-Compared to the rest of the album there isn't a whole lot special about this track but is still solid-7/10
Naked-This is an ok song but it isn't really special either-7/10
This unique teen rocks! 13 absolutely great tracks make this Canadian Rocker one of the best new artists this year. So go check this album out (oh yeah she also has already criticized Britney Spears so she can't be bad). I will be watching to see what her next album will be like!

5.0 out of 5 stars BUY IT!!, July 17 2002
Teresa Frampton "Stef" (Michigan, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Let Go (Audio CD)
This is the best CD I've ever listened to in my life. Avril is *almost* your average 17-year-old punk. The only difference? Her amazing talent. Her voice is fierce, her guitar expertise is slammin, and her words are easy to relate to. She's a mix of Michelle Branch and Alanis Morissette. Here is how I rate each of her songs (out of 5 stars):
Losing Grip: *****
This is one of my favorite songs on the CD. I *love* the music!
Complicated: ****
Her hit single. I think it's pretty good, but not one of her best.
Sk8er Boi: ***
The words tell a cute story.
I'm With You: *****
This is also one of my favorite songs. I like the words.
Mobile: ***
I like the chorus.
Unwanted: *****
Another of my many favorites! This song is very emotional.
Tomorrow: ****
This song is slow, sweet, and quiet.
Anything But Ordinary: ****
I like this song, especially the chorus.
Things I'll Never Say: *****
Another favorite. The words could've been written about the way *I* feel, they're so much like my life right now. This is the best song on the CD, in my opinion.
My World: ***
Some of the words in this song are funny. (A *good* kind of funny, mind you.) And the part about her hometown sounds a lot like my own.
Nobody's Fool: ****
I like the guitar. And it's cool that she can do both rap *and* rock. I like the "la-la"s.
Too Much To Ask: ***
This song is sad. I can feel her pain.
Naked: ****
This is a nice song. It's a good one to leave you with.
I hope this review helped! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Avril is AWESOME!, June 26 2003
This review is from: Let Go (Audio CD)
I love avril so much, she's changed the pop charts into more of a rock sense of music! Avril is like the best person for anyone to look up to! Some ppl say that she is a poser, well, she's not, she never said that she was punk, and she does play guitar a little bit, if she didn't then she wouldn't use it in her videos! All of the ppl that are calling her a poser are just mad because Britney could never ever be that great of a vocalist or a person!
Toodles!

3.0 out of 5 stars Alright, Feb. 3 2006
This review is from: Let Go (Audio CD)
Losing Grip: this is supposedly Avril's favourite song on the album. The lyrics are awkward at some parts, like the whole "WHY SHOULD I CAAAAAAARRREEEE!" thing and the "YYYOOOUUU... You need to listen!!!".
Complicated: The 1st single, this song is a real classic! It is VERY VERY pop, which is odd because it's right after the "I don't care" song "Losing Grip". She shows no range on this song, not that she has any...
Sk8er Boi: This song is pure teen pop; %100 manufactured and packaged just right. This song is a good sing-along song, for a while, until you get so sick of it you go crazy!
I'm With You: This is a sweet ballad with nice violins, the begginning lyrics are awful: "I'm standing on the bridge/I'm waiting in the dark/I thought that you'd be here by now" Those lyics do NOT fit together at all. But it's such a nice song you'll forgive it!
Mobile: The absolute WORST song on this album. HORRIBLE lyrics and HORRIBLE vocals! "EVERYTHING'S CHANGING WHEN I TURN AROUND, LALALALA..." Ugh! It'll drive you nuts! This song is a filler.
Unwanted: Wait... Woah, hold on a sec! What the heck happened? I was just suffering through that horrible pop song, "Mobile", and I get this angsty "I wanna be punk!" pop-rock song. It makes me sad, because you know way back when this album was made, Avril was a mousy-haired punk teenager. Now she's blonde and modeling for Ford... It's depressing to thnk about.
Tomorrow: After that very loud rock song... we get this glossy ballad. "Yuck!" is all I can really say... This is a filler.
Anything But Ordinary: This song is so close to being classed as a filler, but it's so catchy and fun! Bad lyrics, of course, but it's kind of refreshing after all of those songs about hating boys. This song isn't even about a boyfriend! WOW!
Thing I'll Never Say: Filler. It's just to painful with all that "latatatatatatatat lalalalala".
My World: It's just ok. Nothing much to say.
Nobody's Fool: Good girl-power song. The rapping is a little to weird.
Too Much To Ask: Another glossy ballad, it's alot like "Tomorrow". Filler.
Naked: This is another ballad, but it's actually very good! Not too glossy, not to angsty... Nice.
Top tracks:
Naked
I'm With You
Sk8er Boi
Anything But Ordinary
Complicated

4.0 out of 5 stars Talentless...but very good CD!, July 11 2004
This review is from: Let Go (Audio CD)
Okay, to get a few things over with:
1)Avril Lavigne cannot sing, nor play the guitar. Stop saying 'OH MY GOD SHE IS SOOOOO GOOD AT SINGING OH GAWD THIS GIRL HAS TALENT!'.
2)She is not punk. Neither is Good Charlotte. You want some punk? Try Nirvana, or Sum 41.
3)She isn't a skater. I'm fed up with this whole 'sk8er girl' thing. Since when did skaters wear ties and trousers big enough to fit two people in? One of my best friends is a true skater and she wears sensible clothes that mean she can actually ride her board without getting her trousers caught in the wheels.
All that aside, the songs on 'Let Go' are great! I've still given this four stars because it says 'write a review of this item' not 'write a review of this artist, her style, and talent'. It also clearly states 'Please be sure to focus your comments on the album's content'. So that's what I'll do.
1) Losing Grip - A cool song to sing along to. Great start to the album. 5/5
2) Complicated - I loved this song when I first heard it. It's still sort of OK now, but it got played a bit too much so that's why I went off it. 3/5
3) Sk8er Boi - I never really like this song to begin with, then it got overplayed waaaaay too much and now I don't like it all. Still, it's a good song to jump around to. 2/5
4) I'm With You - Beautiful ballad, and Avril's vocals actually sound good on this track! 5/5
5) Mobile - Filler track, but a good one. 3/5
6) Unwanted - You'll find yourself singing along to this whether you like it or not. Good one. 4/5
7) Tomorrow - Weak, and hard to sing to. Shame. 2/5
8) Anything But Ordinary - Good song about wanting a more exciting life. Can soooo relate! 5/5
9) Things I'll Never Say - Can also relate! Excellent! 5/5
10) My World - Hmmm, OK. 'My World' indeed! I can also relate to this one, going off in a daydream is a very bad habit of mine! 4/5
11) Nobody's Fool - She can't rap, and what she's rapping is really bad. Good strong chorus though. Catchy. 4/5
12) Too Much To Ask - Lovely song about a dude who never smiles. 5/5
13) Naked - Can sooo relate! Story of my life. *sigh* Great ending to the album. 5/5

5.0 out of 5 stars A Strong Debut, July 10 2004
This review is from: Let Go (Audio CD)
I bought this album 2 years ago solely on the strength of her first single "Complicated". I didn't know what she looked like. All I knew was that I liked her music. I loved this CD the first time I listened to it. Avril really does have a very good voice, and her songs are surprisingly strong for a debut album. I think the reason a lot of people don't like her is because of the way she is marketed. They think she is immature and coasting on her "image" to sell CDs. I bought this album simply because I liked her music. I could care less about her image or how her label wants her to come across. The truth is the girl makes good music and what more can you ask for? I have listened to this album over and over and it has yet to get old. The best songs are the darker ones. "Losing Grip", "Unwanted", and "Too Much to Ask" are great and show her range. Both of her CDs are good, but I recommend getting this one first if only to see how much she got right on her first album. Plus, the songs will be stuck in your head for days, which in this case is a good thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Album Ever?, July 5 2004
This review is from: Let Go (Audio CD)
This album, first of all, has a big emotional value for me. You know, I used to listen to these songs in good and bad (but memorable) moments of my life. But that isn't going to make you like this CD, is it? No, it isn't.
Maybe the number of copies this album sold may tell you something, it wouldn't sell that much if it sucked... You know, I don't like Avril Lavigne herself. She's arrogant, sometimes she acts like a poser and things, but her songs in this album rock. It's one of the few albums where all songs are great. And it's not just the singles you've listened to at the radio or MTV, this album has much more to offer. The singles, in fact, are some of the worst songs in my opinion.
I don't know how to review such thing I love, but I'm sure you'll love it too. All songs are very catchy, and have very nice lyrics. Give it a try and then review it here to help other people decide if they should buy it or not. And, yes, this album is much better than her new album "Under My Skin".

3.0 out of 5 stars An Alright Album, from an alright artist, June 25 2004
John (Atlanta GA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Let Go (Audio CD)
No this album doesn't "TOTALLY RAWKS!" nor does it "OMG SHE'S A POSER AND SHE SUXX!" the album is alright.Her style is very shadowed by her image and way overproduced. Despite that, she keeps rolling with the hits in songs such as "Complicated" or "Sk8ter Boi". And then there's nice ballads like "I'm With You" or "Tomarrow" but still leave the cringe of flaky lyrics and vapid prodcution. Her efforts are noble, but comes up short. Her bratty attitude doesn't help either. Don't get me wrong she's a good singer, not a great writer, not a good performer, but she's still young and obviously has not reached a large enough crowd to truly be considered a one-of-a kind artist. The album's first few songs are dry but catchy while the last few songs are actually pleasing. My reccomendations are, if you like the sound her you'll like the album, if you're not statisfyed with her depth or presence she touts, then pass this album up. Myself, I found it more of step of career rather than setting her on the map, where that be in the teen pop world, the adult alternative world, or the rock world, where she claims she's aiming for. If she claims that she fails. But I think avril needs to find herself, and her own, real style before mimicking another's of being "cool" or "hip".
-JohnD.

1.0 out of 5 stars What is music?, June 22 2004
T. Torres "antiradioandmtv" (Miami, FL United States) - See all my reviews
What is music?
Music is either four things.
1:A form of art in which you express your feelings.
Example: Master Johann Sebastian Bach, Master Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart or Master Lugwig van Beethoven
2:A form of art in which you express thought
Example: Dream Theater
3:A from of art in which you show your abilities
Example: Yngwee Malmsteen, Steve Bai and many other musicians with different instruments besides the guitar
4:A form of art in which you demonstrate your creative abilities to create melodies that has a special effect in your mind and that stay in it forever(In other words, not so much ability to play but awesome songs)
Examples: The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd or Queen
What do you get with Lavinge? A bunch of songs of which Lyrics are written by professional songwriters (90%) and Lavigne(10%) and 100%of the music is written by the songwriters.
You also get an image of a neo-pop revolution. The one that takes the image of an underground culture of the 60s,70s and 80s (Punk) and that is being used by big companies (In the clothing and music industry). Nothing wrong with being rich and be owner of companies, but don't take the image of Lavigne as a something new or fresh. Is just an image created to make money and save some of the lost money of the labels when the numbers of Britney Spears and Nsync went down.
Does Lavigne say she is punk today? No
Did she say it at the beginning? Yes, because she was told to do so. The intention of the label was to make her look like some kind of female solo image of other pop bands(that call themself punk, like Good Charlotte or Sum 41). The problem was, that she wasn't "punk" and the sound of the music that was given to her so she could perform it wasn't anything like the punk music. It wasn't even pop-rock. So there was only a couple of articles in magazines in which she said she was punk, plus the clothe, and many people, with good reasons, just got really mad. For example, in the Editorial Review of Amazon.com of the album "Let go"(The one that amazon.com does), the first words are "Self professed skater punk Avril...". That is the kind of things that makes many people get mad. I actually saw for a few seconds a concert of her on TV some months ago. There was this giant "A" inside a circle. The one that is supposed to represent "Anarchy" (I say supposed because the punks, whether they are real "punks" or just kids that hang out at the mall, in most of the cases don't know what the politic, social and economic theory of Anarchism is ). Another example of a fake image. I guess that Max Stirner, Joseph Pierre Proudhon, Mikhail Bakunin, Peter Kropotkin and Errico Malatesta are not having a good time in their graves. Not that I agree with their ideas but...I don't think that their dream was a world with labels and pop singers making millions with the word Anarchy.
Are there still people that call her punk? Yes
Does she play the guitar? No she doesn't. Everybody know she doesn't. Well, not knowing how to play the acoustic or the electric guitar is not a sin. What makes people get mad, is that one of the factors that makes her sell, is appearing in pictures and videos playing the guitar (The picture of her single "Losing Grip" is a perfect example). It is a real shame that the labels are not only releasing bad products. The fact that they make money LYING is horrible.
Good Lyrics? Even though Lavigne has a very particular style in the interviews (Is some kind of...wannabe rebel) to sell more (yes, again), her attitude is not the one of the lyrics. A clear sign that everything is the work of professional songwriters. Also, they are extremely childish. She has said that she doesn't write songs for babies (Actually she doesn't write songs at all) and when you listen to the songs and you wonder if they were written by a middle school girl or by a professional that wrote them for middle school girls
The fact that Lavigne sells millions means she is good? Of course not. In the American music industry (That invades the other industries of the world), even William Hung sells a lot. It is all about image and marketing and the work of the labels. Explore a little bit beyond the Top40 and you'll see. There is the wrong idea of some people that think that there are people that like to criticize anything that sells more than 10 copies because they think is cool. It is not like that. I love the bands that I mentioned above and they all still sell millions. But I also can't stand some of the stuff that is in the Top charts. If you are gonna defend Lavigne don't say that the fact that she sells millions makes her good. Because that is not important anymore. If she wins the Grammy that doesn't matter either. 50Cent won 5 Grammies. Does that mean he's good? No.
I just wanted to give my opinion about Lavigne (again) and express my ideas. There is nothing wrong with that. It seems that those that give their opinions are classified as people that need to "get a life". Why is that? I don't know.
This album wasn't made by Lavigne (no feeling),nothing new(no thought), nothing relevant in the music and no voice that other singers can't match. She is an inferior live performer. It's mostly studio work (no abilities)and nothing but catchy songs (no great themes). This album doesn't represent any of the four things that music can be. She is going to keep on selling a lot. But I just wanted to give my two pennies.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty darn good for pop, June 21 2004
This review is from: Let Go (Audio CD)
I usually don't listen to pop music, but Avril caught my attention mainly because her music has more of an edge to it and because well... it was pretty unavoidable seeing that my little sister listens to her 24/7, so ya know... Well this album is better than all your Britney's and stuff like that mainly because theirs some musicianship. Avril herself doesn't do most of the guitar work, its her backup band, but still, the music does make the CD more satisfying, even if it doesn't play a huge part in the songs (no solos or driving riffs, basically just chords, but its all good). I look at Avril, FeFe Dobson, Busted and McFly (those last 2 are British pop bands who also are sort of marketed as "punk" but dont live up to their image) as a new genre called "alternative pop". I really think its stupid for people to hate Avril just because she doesn't live up to an "image" or w/e, who really cares, it should be the music that counts. Record labels will do anything to make an artist sell, and jumping on a trend is a great way to do that- so I really cant blame Avril for that at all. So if you like pop music but a little bit of a rock edge (her music is kind of like 1 step down from Blink-182 and Good Charlotte, stuff like that), buy this immediately.

Let Go
Let Go by Avril Lavigne (Audio CD - 2002)