1,826 Reviews

Published on Nov. 11 2003 by le_baiser

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh New Sound, June 6 2002
gyrfalcon987 (Oberlin, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Let Go (Audio CD)
When I saw Avril on TRL and she was Carson's pick of the week I thought she was absolutely awesome at first site! Avril is a 17 year rock skateboard person from a small town in Ontario. I would reccommend this to anyone who likes Vanessa Carlton or Michelle Branch but Avril is better. She is very similair to those three (each play an instrument, are young, write their songs, and arent victimized by teeny bopper stuff). This whole album is written by Avril!
Losing Grip-This is one of the more rock songs. It has a cool, catchy chorus but a little to hard rock for me-8/10
Complicated-Avril's first single-one of the two more pop/rock songs. Absolutely brilliant! The music video is really cool and the lyrics and everything. It is also mixed really well. Probably the second best song on the cd-10/10
Sk8r Boi-This will be her second single. Sorta of like Complicated but I think it has a more catchy chorus. I also love the lyrics on this I think they are pretty funny. My favorite song on the cd-10/10
I'm With You-This is one of Avril's ballads. It has a catchy chorus (like all of her songs). In this song you can her how great her voice is-9/10
Mobile-This song is one of the sorta rock songs. Another one with a catchy chorus-8/10
Unwanted-This song reminds me of Vanessa Carlton. Another of the hard rock songs. I don't really care for this track-7/10
Tomorrow-This is a really pretty ballad that is very nice to listen to-9/10
Anything But Ordinary-In this song Avril speaks out about not wanting to bel ike other people. It has cool lyrics. Another catchy chorus-10/10
Things I'll Never Say-One of the many songs that almost sounds at the beginning like it is Scottish. She even does a little Scottish chant thingy at the beginning of this one. It is pretty cool. This is another of my favs-10/10
My World-This song has a little pop feel. It has cool lyrics about her home town and a cool chorus-10/10
Nobody's Fool-This is a really great song!!! She sorta "raps" in it. Which is sorta funny. Another cool track-9/10
Too Much To Ask-Compared to the rest of the album there isn't a whole lot special about this track but is still solid-7/10
Naked-This is an ok song but it isn't really special either-7/10
This unique teen rocks! 13 absolutely great tracks make this Canadian Rocker one of the best new artists this year. So go check this album out (oh yeah she also has already criticized Britney Spears so she can't be bad). I will be watching to see what her next album will be like!

5.0 out of 5 stars Avril is AWESOME!, June 26 2003
This review is from: Let Go (Audio CD)
I love avril so much, she's changed the pop charts into more of a rock sense of music! Avril is like the best person for anyone to look up to! Some ppl say that she is a poser, well, she's not, she never said that she was punk, and she does play guitar a little bit, if she didn't then she wouldn't use it in her videos! All of the ppl that are calling her a poser are just mad because Britney could never ever be that great of a vocalist or a person!
Toodles!

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun Music to Sing Along With, Nov. 11 2003
This review is from: Let Go (Audio CD)
Avril Lavigne took the world by storm and some people are jealous and upset. Yes, I know her music is pop and that she's in fact NOT a skater or a punk. So what? When I bought this CD in June when it was first released, I didn't care whether or not she was a punk or a poser or whatever! Now people make such a big deal about that trivial issue and they forget to listen to the MUSIC and let the MUSIC do the talking. If you like her music, people automatically think YOU think she's a punk and that you don't know real punk music when you hear it....OR....they think that you got suckered into the whole punk fashion craze. Well, all that isn't true. So now with that aside, let me review her MUSIC....You can think whatever you want about her IMAGE.
1. Losing Grip - This song is very catchy, has a great strong melody and thought-provoking lyrics (4/5)
2. Complicated - This song was butchered on the radio so much that it would make anyone sick (even her fans...haha), but when I first heard it, I loved it. (5/5)
3. Sk8er Boi - Extremely TERRIBLE lyrics, however, the melody is catchy (2/5)
4. I'm With You - I didn't care for this song at all. People say that the message behind the lyrics is deep, but I just think it's a snooze. (1/5)
5. Mobile - This song is very POP-ish and is a great song to sing along to... (3/5)
6. Unwanted - Everyone can relate to this song (at least I know I do!) and I really like the melody. (5/5)
7. Tomorrow - This is a subdued tune on her album with a more mellow aura...Avril's voice sounds very pretty on this track and the lyrics are quite mature. (5/5)
8. Anything But Ordinary - I LOVE this song...It's about wanting to push the limits and be wild and different. I especially love it when Avril hits those really high notes. (5/5)
9. Things I'll Never Say - I hated this song...The lyrics are plain, blah, and sound as though they were written down quickly without much thought and in return, it doesn't provoke much thought from listeners. (1/5)
10. My World - This song tells us a little about her personal life (where she grew up, where she worked). The lyrics and the melody did NOTHING for me and I found it quite boring. This track seemed like a filler for the album. (1/5)
11. Nobody's Fool - I hated this song as well...haha, Avril should NOT try to rap OR if she DOES try again to rap, at least do it with some worthwhile lyrics! Rapping does NOTHING for her voice or for us. Avril's voice is more suitable for pop or pop-rock and she should stick to it, because quite honestly, her voice isn't that flexible. (1/5)
12. Too Much To Ask - This is one of my favourite tracks off the album. Her voice suits it perfectly and I can really relate to the melancholy message. (5/5)
13. Naked - Avril's voice is amazing on this track and the message is quite profound (whether or not it was intended, that's the way I interpreted it). This is also one of my favourite tracks. (5/5)
14. Complicated (The Matrix Mix) (Bonus Track) - This sounds EXACTLY the same as the regular "Complicated" version, so...I don't know what the point of this one was...The rating for this one will be the same as above (5/5)
I'm curious as to what Avril's second album will be like......She's got my interest. Sure Avril's vocal range isn't mind-blowing nor are her lyrics incredibly deep, BUT, she is definitely an artist to follow in the music industry.

1.0 out of 5 stars this some kind of joke???, Nov. 5 2003
This review is from: Let Go (Audio CD)
This is not punk( even though all punk/pop sucks) and she is not rock!!!! well all the little 8 year old preps that want to "rebel" will love this crap its pahetic, somebody please keep her from writing another album DO NOT BUY THIS!!!
In conclusion i think its pathetic that they let her play Metallica's "fuel" at there tribute show on mtv but wait i think its pathetic that they would let her play any metallica song.

1.0 out of 5 stars I can't take this pop queen trash anymore..., July 26 2003
This review is from: Let Go (Audio CD)
Avril Lavigne has got to be the biggest fake I have ever seen. She sits there and gathers attention and eating frosted flakes in her underpants while her "boys", or "hired hands" make all the music. Avril gets her lyrics from Scooby Doo and whatever cartoon she sits down and watches every morning.
If you don't agree with me, think of this -- most of her fans are whiny, screaming little 12 year olds who know nothing about music, just that Avril is so pretty and that she sings about "skater boi's" and "complicated" stuff. It's not that complicated guys, she sits back and endures her fame while the company pays people to make her music for her. We had a discussion at harmony central (a musician's board, yes I am a musician myself and I can't stand this pop icon blah) about how avril just sits back and does nothing. We've debated whether it was "musically adapt" to work as some other artist's hired hand, even if you didn't believe in the music you were told to write, and some said "yes", they would do it, because it would help them rake in some cash to get started on their own careers in the music industry. Perhaps that's what these musicians are doing, to get financially stable, so they can launch their band "closet monster" onto a major label.
However, there was debate about being true to your music, and that you shouldn't be performing for someone else and making music you don't FEEL, just because somebody pays you. Get a job at Wal-Mart or Delivering Pizzas, for crying out loud! A decent marshall stack will run you about $$$ but save your pennies!
The point of this review is to tell viewers and listeners out there that Avril isn't so magic as she seems. Most of her material was probably written by her hired hands, although I don't doubt Avril wrote a couple of the songs herself. If she could play a guitar properly, maybe she would be a better musician, but hearing about the incident at "MTV Unplugged", I can definately understand why she is such a faker. At MTV Unplugged, her "hired hands" play all of the songs and she sings (at an MTV Unplugged concert, you're supposed to play the songs yourself...she ruined tradition), and she pulls the guitar out for one song and claims to the audience "I .... at guitar, so don't laugh at me". What a joke, I mean seriously...this makes me sick that Avril Lavigne gets so much attention. What makes me more upset is that this CD has 4 1/2 stars.
If you want some REAL, SERIOUS music that is loaded with talent and creativity, check out Radiohead, the most talented and expiramental band I have ever encountered. The Smashing Pumpkins...how could we forget them? They're a rock icon from the 90s that will go down in history. Sigur Ros...a band that makes such beautiful music that hundreds of people have been known to break down and cry whilst listening to one of their musical masterpieces. I could go on and on...please anything but this. I'm sorry, but I'll pass on the snack crackers and the pop queen caviar.

1.0 out of 5 stars I can't even believe this thing exists, July 25 2003
This review is from: Let Go (Audio CD)
I'm not even sure what to say, Growing up in the punk era and being around punks and skaters almost all of my life I look at her and I just can't believe that she would claim such things, I would love to see her actually try to hang with punks and skaters then watch them beat her ***, She couldn't survive in the punk culture if she had security around her 24/7.
I'm just more shocked that she makes these statements and doesn't expect any comments on them from the people who have to look at her with disgust.
Avril, I think that you were better off Bible thumpin with your country music, You need to go back to your hole and leave real punk music to real punks.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible, manufactured pop, July 19 2003
This review is from: Let Go (Audio CD)
Why do people like her in the first place? "I think she's cool. And I love her style, it's so individual. She doesn't parade around in skimpy clothes like everyone else. Her success is based on the fact that she's a good musician, and that's admirable" - Heidi, 18 Whoa, wait! Let's break that down.
1. Avril DID NOT get her success based on her talent. She debuted on MTV. She sold her soul to the devil when she signed that record contract, just like she's selling out. Her band was "given" to her, she didn't meet them.
2. Avril DOES wear skimpy clothes. Quote from the loser-"My ass-crack showing is my trademark". She also walked around in a bikini. Quote the loser on Britney-"Who f*cking wears a bra down the street?" and "Britney Spears is such a hoe cake."
3. Avril CANNOT play the guitar, or any other instrument for that matter. She never plays the guitar live, with one exception, and she warned her fans that she "totally sucks!" Her publicity shots with her guitar show her holding it the wrong way, and strumming non-existent chords. Her Complicated video shows her playing ONE chord, a G-chord, which isn't even in the song. She also has publicity photos of her playing the drums... Heh, she was holding one drumstick UPSIDE DOWN and make a fist around the other. She can't even hold them.. Her cd doesn't list her for guitar credits at all.
4. Avril DID NOT start any trends. She rode on existing trends, capitalizing on their popularity. I am angry that anyone would laud Avril for "bringing back the tie on girls". Alternative girls across the country have been wearing ties since the early 90s. The SPICE GIRLS, were wearing ties before Avril. Get this, Avril has a STYLIST. In fact, she has many stylists, ready to scout out another trend, making a comeback. She is the client of Stephanie Wolf, who goes and gets the ties etc. FOR Avril.
5. Avril CAN NOT skate. She could skate her way out of a gaping hole in a half pipe. Quoth the loser -"I like wiping out and hurting myself and crying. And I like to show off my bruises. And, me and the guys just like to mess around on them, even though we all suck."
"Dude, I suck," is her typical response when asked about her shredding skills. "I mean, I like to skate, it's fun, but ... I like to do it in my free time. I don't want someone to shove a camera and a board in my face and be like, 'Here, let's see what everyone's talking about.' Because it's not like I'm a pro. I fall a lot, but I mean, everyone falls, you know." -- from mtv.com
6. Avril IS incredibly RUDE and IMMATURE. She makes horrible comments on other popstars. She thought it would be funny to run away and play hide and seek from a new bodyguard that was being assigned to her. She flicks everyone off. She doesn't want preppies to listen to her music, and refused to autograph things for people dressed like "preppies" at her concert. She was rude accepting her VMA award, but then got drunk off her ass afterwards. She was kicked out of hotels for disturbing the other people there. She thought she was funny, and um, witty. She stole a strawberry from a hotel cart. (how bad ass...) She was acting stupid in a bar (she's 17, 18?) with Sum 41, trashed it, and thought it was funny when they gave her a wedgie.
"The other night, I got into three fights," says Lavigne. "I was at a club and some girl was giving me attitude. When people are drinking, they get mouthy. She pushed me, and I got her down on the floor. Security came, and because I was on top, they threw me out." --from rollingstones.com
7. Avril's music SUCKS! She sounds like a country singer, for the first part. In fact, she was supposed to be marketed as one. Her favorite band is Hanson. Then she tries, um, RAPPING? Next thing we know there'll be Shanikwa Lablingbling. Are her lyrics DEEP? hmmm... "She was a girl, he was a boy" blah blah blah complete [*]! She's not the cheerios in somebody's spoon, how deep!!! In "Mobile" she complains about having to go on tour, and other crap. This was written before she even became famous, how the hell would SHE know?
8. Avril is a COMPLETE DUMBASS! But what do you expect from a high school dropout who spells boy with an "i"? She looks like one too, underneath those 2 tons of whorish eye make-up. In her interview with YM, she was going on and on about getting married and other stupid fantasies of hers. She talked about the "thing the guy has to lift off of the girl's face to kiss her"... She doesn't know that it's called a veil?! She got fired from some chicken place, nobody really gives a [*], but then she had to sing a SONG about it.
9. Avril's PAST is a lie. She is just like Vanilla Ice, making up things to make her more hardcore. In reality, she was raised to be a christian school girl. She was a cheerleader. She sang at fairs. She sang COUNTRY music at those fairs. She wanted to be like Martina McBride or Shania Twain. Quoth her former manager- "She didn't know Blink 182 from Madonna".
10. Avril will not be, nor has ever been a SKATER PUNK. She is not skater, she is no punk. The two things are different, distinct movements/styles/musical genres and she is neither. She couldn't name a Ramones song to save her life! Yes, she DID say she was punk. She's even bared her undies, that read "Punk Princess". She's worn pins with "Kiss me, I'm Punk" on them. She's lied and conived and contradicted herself. She has, above all, said that she was punk. End of story. I don't buy her [*], 3 months later, when she takes everything back. After the backlash, the shameless little [*] poseur says "Oh, I didn't mean it THAT way..." Bull.
"She is not a skateboarder; she is not a punk. She is not from the streets. She is from a middle-class family in Napanee. She is from a very safe neighbourhood," "Skater? No. Punk? No. They've sold her out. The expectations are now that shes this [*], whos smashing her gutair in a slick video. Thats as programmed as anything else, and it's such teeny-bopper-trying-to-be-cool stuff. She's not a punk. Shes probably more contrived then Britney Spears ever was. Avril has the potential to be real, but right now, shes a poseur." --Clint Fabri, Avril's former manager

1.0 out of 5 stars A really bad CD for anyone who likes good music, July 13 2003
Janna (California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Let Go (Audio CD)
This is one of the worst CDs I have ever heard, by one of the worst singers I have ever heard.
Sure, this CD may seem good to anyone who just wants to by into the latest trend, and doesn't even care whether the music is GOOD or not. But this is just the next pop trend, like all the previous trends, it doesn't even matter if it's good or not, as long as they can brainwash 12 year-olds into buying it.
I guess for a POP CD, it isn't much worse than Britney Spears or Mandy Moore. But when people start worshiping Avril like she's some "skater punk" or whatever and think that she plays the guitar and writes her own songs, that is where it gets ridiculous.
I cannot see how people could call Avril a punk, or how she could call herself "hardcore." Do these lyrics sound very punk to you: "He was a boy, she was a girl
Can I make it any more obvious?" or "I never spend less than an hour/Washin' my hair in the shower/It always takes five hours to make it straight." That doesn't sound like any punk song I've ever heard, gosh, even Britney Spears has better lyrics than that in my opinion. Maybe if you think punk is someone who wears all the cool fashion trends from Hot Topic, you might believe she is "punk" or her music is "rock" or whatever, but she's not.
Avril Lavigne is literally the epitome of posers. If you don't know what epitome means, it means a really good example of a group of people. Wouldn't you call someone a poser if they could only play a few chords on the guitar, but still carried one around to make it look like you played it yourself, when really someone else plays the guitar for you in your songs? And also if they told people in interviews that they wrote their own songs, but then the credits on their CD clearly proved otherwise? Also, once again, if they claimed to be a "punk" just because they wear clothes from Hot Topic, and really their music is totally pop? Avril does all of that, and yet she is still one of the most popular singers nowadays on all the pop stations and MTV. I am really hoping that this fad fades out very soon, maybe then some good music will come back into the picture.
I really suggest that you do not waste your money on this CD. Don't buy into the money-making scheme of Avril. Buy some music that is good, by bands that don't have to use their clothing and appearance to label their music.
However, I guess if you're one of those people who is going to buy into the trends no matter what, you've probably already bought this CD, or you're going to buy it anyways no matter what I say, so it's probably not even worth it to try to convince you not to buy it. If you do buy it it'll be a waste of money, that's all i have to say.

2.0 out of 5 stars As cleansing as Summer's Eve..., July 12 2003
This review is from: Let Go (Audio CD)
Cleansing. A spiritual reawakening. As reinvigorating as a fresh pot of morning java. After scaling the heights of utter stupidity with Shania Twain and Barenaked Ladies, Canadian pop has returned to form nicely. This CD makes you want to relieve yourself, it's so relaxing. Go ahead, let loose. Avril will lead you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Groovy, July 12 2003
This review is from: Let Go (Audio CD)
I have alot of fun with this album. I love to listen to it while driving. She has come up with a unique combination of crunchy guitars with her true vocal style. Avril presents a different side of pop music, with her Sk8ter Boi image, and i love it! This album has many different variations of her style. Her first single: "Complicated" presents a more poppy urban sound, while "Sk8ter Boi" and "Losing Grip" are harder, rockier songs. But Rock isn't all Avril is good at. Her ballad "I'm with You" keeps up with her Skater image, but at the same time it has a softer tone to it. My only problem with this album are her lyrics. I think that with her talent she could have come up with some deeper meanings. But thats not to say that i don't love her as it is. She has a great style and i'm going to keep this one in my cd player for a long time.

ARRAY(0xae78c210)

Let Go
Let Go by Avril Lavigne (Audio CD - 2002)