1,827 Reviews
 (1,191)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh New Sound
Published on June 6 2002 by gyrfalcon987

3.0 out of 5 stars Avril Lavigne Has Got To Let Go!
Okay, for a decade of mini-clones, this one isn't half bad. After mini-Madonna (Britney Spears), and mini-Mariah (Christina Aguilera), here comes a delightful mini-Alanis.

Album Cover: 4/5
Published on June 1 2008 by Qian Song

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh New Sound, June 6 2002
gyrfalcon987 (Oberlin, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Let Go (Audio CD)
When I saw Avril on TRL and she was Carson's pick of the week I thought she was absolutely awesome at first site! Avril is a 17 year rock skateboard person from a small town in Ontario. I would reccommend this to anyone who likes Vanessa Carlton or Michelle Branch but Avril is better. She is very similair to those three (each play an instrument, are young, write their songs, and arent victimized by teeny bopper stuff). This whole album is written by Avril!
Losing Grip-This is one of the more rock songs. It has a cool, catchy chorus but a little to hard rock for me-8/10
Complicated-Avril's first single-one of the two more pop/rock songs. Absolutely brilliant! The music video is really cool and the lyrics and everything. It is also mixed really well. Probably the second best song on the cd-10/10
Sk8r Boi-This will be her second single. Sorta of like Complicated but I think it has a more catchy chorus. I also love the lyrics on this I think they are pretty funny. My favorite song on the cd-10/10
I'm With You-This is one of Avril's ballads. It has a catchy chorus (like all of her songs). In this song you can her how great her voice is-9/10
Mobile-This song is one of the sorta rock songs. Another one with a catchy chorus-8/10
Unwanted-This song reminds me of Vanessa Carlton. Another of the hard rock songs. I don't really care for this track-7/10
Tomorrow-This is a really pretty ballad that is very nice to listen to-9/10
Anything But Ordinary-In this song Avril speaks out about not wanting to bel ike other people. It has cool lyrics. Another catchy chorus-10/10
Things I'll Never Say-One of the many songs that almost sounds at the beginning like it is Scottish. She even does a little Scottish chant thingy at the beginning of this one. It is pretty cool. This is another of my favs-10/10
My World-This song has a little pop feel. It has cool lyrics about her home town and a cool chorus-10/10
Nobody's Fool-This is a really great song!!! She sorta "raps" in it. Which is sorta funny. Another cool track-9/10
Too Much To Ask-Compared to the rest of the album there isn't a whole lot special about this track but is still solid-7/10
Naked-This is an ok song but it isn't really special either-7/10
This unique teen rocks! 13 absolutely great tracks make this Canadian Rocker one of the best new artists this year. So go check this album out (oh yeah she also has already criticized Britney Spears so she can't be bad). I will be watching to see what her next album will be like!

5.0 out of 5 stars BUY IT!!, July 17 2002
Teresa Frampton "Stef" (Michigan, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Let Go (Audio CD)
This is the best CD I've ever listened to in my life. Avril is *almost* your average 17-year-old punk. The only difference? Her amazing talent. Her voice is fierce, her guitar expertise is slammin, and her words are easy to relate to. She's a mix of Michelle Branch and Alanis Morissette. Here is how I rate each of her songs (out of 5 stars):
Losing Grip: *****
This is one of my favorite songs on the CD. I *love* the music!
Complicated: ****
Her hit single. I think it's pretty good, but not one of her best.
Sk8er Boi: ***
The words tell a cute story.
I'm With You: *****
This is also one of my favorite songs. I like the words.
Mobile: ***
I like the chorus.
Unwanted: *****
Another of my many favorites! This song is very emotional.
Tomorrow: ****
This song is slow, sweet, and quiet.
Anything But Ordinary: ****
I like this song, especially the chorus.
Things I'll Never Say: *****
Another favorite. The words could've been written about the way *I* feel, they're so much like my life right now. This is the best song on the CD, in my opinion.
My World: ***
Some of the words in this song are funny. (A *good* kind of funny, mind you.) And the part about her hometown sounds a lot like my own.
Nobody's Fool: ****
I like the guitar. And it's cool that she can do both rap *and* rock. I like the "la-la"s.
Too Much To Ask: ***
This song is sad. I can feel her pain.
Naked: ****
This is a nice song. It's a good one to leave you with.
I hope this review helped! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Avril is AWESOME!, June 26 2003
This review is from: Let Go (Audio CD)
I love avril so much, she's changed the pop charts into more of a rock sense of music! Avril is like the best person for anyone to look up to! Some ppl say that she is a poser, well, she's not, she never said that she was punk, and she does play guitar a little bit, if she didn't then she wouldn't use it in her videos! All of the ppl that are calling her a poser are just mad because Britney could never ever be that great of a vocalist or a person!
Toodles!

4.0 out of 5 stars "Anything But Ordinary", Sept. 15 2009
Dave_42 "Dave_42" (Australia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Let Go (Audio CD)
It was very easy to get sick and tired of teen-aged girls singing dance-pop as there seemed to be an endless supply of them for several years. Finally we have a new artist playing rock, and while one might be tempted to give it high-marks for that alone, the fact is Avril Lavigne earns high praise for her debut album, "Let Go". Avril Lavigne was just 17 when she released this album in 2002, and while it isn't perfect or anywhere near the best rock album ever, it certainly was a breath of fresh air.

The album opens very strong with "Losing Grip", "Complicated", "Sk8er Boi", and "I'm with You" which are the four main singles from the album. The fifth piece, "Mobile" was also released as a single, but only in Australia and New Zealand. Though these are all singles, there is still a fair amount of diversity in them. "Complicated" and "Sk8er Boi" both have a bit of a Teen Pop feel to them. "Losing Grip" is a heavier piece, and "I'm With You" is a ballad. "Mobile" is a bit of a reach as a single, but is a decent piece and falls somewhere in the middle. Next up is "Unwanted" is another heavier piece, and gives the album some depth with a solid piece which is clearly not a single. "Tomorrow" is the midpoint of the album and one of the weaker pieces on the album, but still not a bad song, and once again it offers a bit of diversity from the harder style rock which is what most of the album is.

"Anything But Ordinary" brings the quality back up, and starts off a string of Teen Pop songs. "Things I'll Never Say" falls into the same category somewhat, and is another solid contribution to the album. "My World" is another teen angst piece, and continues with the Teen Pop feel of the second half of the album. "Nobody's Fool" brings some more diversity to the album, with some mini-rap sections by Avril. It is one of the weaker pieces on the album, but one can appreciate the attempt at having more than one sound. "Too Much to Ask" is another weaker piece, but as with all the pieces on the album it isn't bad and doesn't detract too much from the overall effort. "Naked" closes the album and is a little stronger than the preceding two pieces, but overall the second half of the album isn't as good as the first.

This is a very strong debut album for Avril Lavigne. She co-wrote all the songs, some of them with Clif Magness, others with a group called "The Matrix", a couple with Sabelle Breer and Curtis Frasca, and then one with Peter Zizzo. There is a fair amount of diversity in sound and her voice suits all the pieces well. Overall, this album falls somewhere between 4 and 4' stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars Avril Lavigne Has Got To Let Go!, June 1 2008
Qian Song - See all my reviews

Album Cover: 4/5
The cover shows Avril in a defiant pose on top of a fuzzy background that is so similar to Alanis' "Thank U" video. However, looking at this cover, I cannot help but realize how short she is. But she is very cute.

1. Losing Grip: 4/5
This is a great song with a catchy melody that Avril's voice seems to be born for. Her voice really accented this song to make it something more. However, the last four repeated chorus' were so loud and repetitively boring that they brought down this song's rating.

2. Complicated: 5/5
Who has not heard this song? This song is so addicting, and Avril's smooth, crisp voice delivers it so well that you cannot help but sing the song over and over and over...

3. Sk8er Boi: 4/5
This song is something Avril should be proud of. This jab at peer pressure and love with a "sk8er boi" is fresh and satisfying. However, it gets repetitive, which made it lose some of its charm.

4. I'm With You: 4.5/5
This song is so mature for someone so young. Avril's voice does not really fit with the song, and the song's instruments are a bit messy, but it all comes together for a rainy, torchy ballad.

5. Mobile: 3.5/5
A really catchy song! However, Avril semi-raps are a bit cheesy, as with the "hanging from the ceiling, life's a mobile" lyric.

6. Unwanted: 3.5/5
Avril's stale lower register actually works on this song, but it is not really anything special.

7. Tomorrow: 2/5
I really love the first verse where Avril says "But I don't", but after that, the "Hey, yeah-ye-yeah"s get really boring.

8. Anything But Ordinary: 3/5
The melody's okay, but the chorus has me feeling that she's a bit naive and crazy.

9. Things I'll Never Say: 3.5/5
I really love the chorus on this song, and the idea is very original. She sounds relaxed and amused, which only added to the charm of the song.

10. My World: 4/5
This song is very unique, and Avril's personal jabs at past enemies have me laughing out loud. The melodies and the chorus are awesome, and Avril's cheesy rapping is just... never mind.

11. Nobody's Fool: 3/5
The song is okay, but the way Avril sings them make me want to laugh. For a song like this, you are better off with Kelly Clarkson's "Never Again".

12. Too Much To Ask: 3/5
I love this line "Is it too much that I asked for", but she doesn't say it often enough!

13. Naked: 1/5
This song is downright embarrassing the way she keeps repeating "I'm naked." over and over again.

Overall Rating: 3/5
Since its release, this has sold over 16,000,000 copies worldwide.

4.0 out of 5 stars Let Go, Feb. 29 2008
This review is from: Let Go (Audio CD)
I actually didn't buy this album until after I bought Let Go, so looking at it in a sort of artistic retrospect I can see that it's musically and lyrically immature compared to Under My Skin. However, it is incredibly catchy, happier and more upbeat. Oh yeah, and by the time you buy the album you'll probably already know half the songs.
Songs:
Losing Grip: 6/10. The lyrics are incredibly bad, but it's got a nice chorus and it *is* catchy.
Complicated: 7/10. This is actually a really great song, but it's so overplayed that you get sick of it.
Sk8r Boi: 8/10. This song, though also overplayed, tells a great bratty story and the guitar riffs are cool.
I'm With You: 9/10. This song is lonely and sad sounding, but it's also very pretty and fragile.
Mobile: 6/10. Awful verses, awesome chorus. A total filler song.
Unwanted: 6/10. We're suddenly hit by a power rocker, and it's a bit of a shock after all that rock-pop.
Tomorrow: 6/10. This song is slow and acoustic, with the same kind of vulnerability and sensitivity as "I'm with You", but it lacks the catchiness of that and ends up simply a 'nice song'.
Anything but Ordinary: 8/10. This song is insufferably catchy...but the 'succulent...i wanna taste it' part is embarassing, and the lalala voices in the background are weird.
Thing's I'll Never Say: 12/10. This song is my absolute FAVORITE, I would practically have bought the album just for it, it could make 3 stars by itself. It is completely accurate in expressing how unrequited unspoken love feels, and resonates completely.
My World: 7/10. This is a cool song, but it's sorta strange. Avril's voice sounds funny, and some of the lyrics are awkard or seemingly irrelevant (what else is new?) but some of them are also funny, and for some reason you listen to it again and again. Maybe that's because it's about something unique, not just another "boy-angst song".
Nobody's Fool: 4/10. Oogh. I hate rap in the best of cases, and she can't even rap to begin with.
Too Much to Ask: 8/10. Other than some dumb lyrics in the verses (until you chose weed over me/you're so lame) it's got an interesting combination in the chorus: anger and sensitive sadness at the same time. Oh, and there's a great line in here too, surprisingly: "you can't see the world through a mirror"
Naked: 7/10. It's an okay song, but even though she sings about being vulnerable and transparent, she isn't really, not as much as in other songs.

3.0 out of 5 stars Alright, Feb. 3 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Let Go (Audio CD)
"Let Go" is alright, but there are far too many fillers! Lavigne's 2nd album, "Under My Skin", is alot better, so if you want an Avril CD don't get this one. Song-by-song review:
Losing Grip: this is supposedly Avril's favourite song on the album. The lyrics are awkward at some parts, like the whole "WHY SHOULD I CAAAAAAARRREEEE!" thing and the "YYYOOOUUU... You need to listen!!!".
Complicated: The 1st single, this song is a real classic! It is VERY VERY pop, which is odd because it's right after the "I don't care" song "Losing Grip". She shows no range on this song, not that she has any...
Sk8er Boi: This song is pure teen pop; %100 manufactured and packaged just right. This song is a good sing-along song, for a while, until you get so sick of it you go crazy!
I'm With You: This is a sweet ballad with nice violins, the begginning lyrics are awful: "I'm standing on the bridge/I'm waiting in the dark/I thought that you'd be here by now" Those lyics do NOT fit together at all. But it's such a nice song you'll forgive it!
Mobile: The absolute WORST song on this album. HORRIBLE lyrics and HORRIBLE vocals! "EVERYTHING'S CHANGING WHEN I TURN AROUND, LALALALA..." Ugh! It'll drive you nuts! This song is a filler.
Unwanted: Wait... Woah, hold on a sec! What the heck happened? I was just suffering through that horrible pop song, "Mobile", and I get this angsty "I wanna be punk!" pop-rock song. It makes me sad, because you know way back when this album was made, Avril was a mousy-haired punk teenager. Now she's blonde and modeling for Ford... It's depressing to thnk about.
Tomorrow: After that very loud rock song... we get this glossy ballad. "Yuck!" is all I can really say... This is a filler.
Anything But Ordinary: This song is so close to being classed as a filler, but it's so catchy and fun! Bad lyrics, of course, but it's kind of refreshing after all of those songs about hating boys. This song isn't even about a boyfriend! WOW!
Thing I'll Never Say: Filler. It's just to painful with all that "latatatatatatatat lalalalala".
My World: It's just ok. Nothing much to say.
Nobody's Fool: Good girl-power song. The rapping is a little to weird.
Too Much To Ask: Another glossy ballad, it's alot like "Tomorrow". Filler.
Naked: This is another ballad, but it's actually very good! Not too glossy, not to angsty... Nice.
Top tracks:
Complicated

4.0 out of 5 stars Talentless...but very good CD!, July 11 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Let Go (Audio CD)
Okay, to get a few things over with:
1)Avril Lavigne cannot sing, nor play the guitar. Stop saying 'OH MY GOD SHE IS SOOOOO GOOD AT SINGING OH GAWD THIS GIRL HAS TALENT!'.
2)She is not punk. Neither is Good Charlotte. You want some punk? Try Nirvana, or Sum 41.
3)She isn't a skater. I'm fed up with this whole 'sk8er girl' thing. Since when did skaters wear ties and trousers big enough to fit two people in? One of my best friends is a true skater and she wears sensible clothes that mean she can actually ride her board without getting her trousers caught in the wheels.
All that aside, the songs on 'Let Go' are great! I've still given this four stars because it says 'write a review of this item' not 'write a review of this artist, her style, and talent'. It also clearly states 'Please be sure to focus your comments on the album's content'. So that's what I'll do.
1) Losing Grip - A cool song to sing along to. Great start to the album. 5/5
2) Complicated - I loved this song when I first heard it. It's still sort of OK now, but it got played a bit too much so that's why I went off it. 3/5
3) Sk8er Boi - I never really like this song to begin with, then it got overplayed waaaaay too much and now I don't like it all. Still, it's a good song to jump around to. 2/5
4) I'm With You - Beautiful ballad, and Avril's vocals actually sound good on this track! 5/5
5) Mobile - Filler track, but a good one. 3/5
6) Unwanted - You'll find yourself singing along to this whether you like it or not. Good one. 4/5
7) Tomorrow - Weak, and hard to sing to. Shame. 2/5
8) Anything But Ordinary - Good song about wanting a more exciting life. Can soooo relate! 5/5
9) Things I'll Never Say - Can also relate! Excellent! 5/5
10) My World - Hmmm, OK. 'My World' indeed! I can also relate to this one, going off in a daydream is a very bad habit of mine! 4/5
11) Nobody's Fool - She can't rap, and what she's rapping is really bad. Good strong chorus though. Catchy. 4/5
12) Too Much To Ask - Lovely song about a dude who never smiles. 5/5
13) Naked - Can sooo relate! Story of my life. *sigh* Great ending to the album. 5/5

5.0 out of 5 stars A Strong Debut, July 10 2004
This review is from: Let Go (Audio CD)
I bought this album 2 years ago solely on the strength of her first single "Complicated". I didn't know what she looked like. All I knew was that I liked her music. I loved this CD the first time I listened to it. Avril really does have a very good voice, and her songs are surprisingly strong for a debut album. I think the reason a lot of people don't like her is because of the way she is marketed. They think she is immature and coasting on her "image" to sell CDs. I bought this album simply because I liked her music. I could care less about her image or how her label wants her to come across. The truth is the girl makes good music and what more can you ask for? I have listened to this album over and over and it has yet to get old. The best songs are the darker ones. "Losing Grip", "Unwanted", and "Too Much to Ask" are great and show her range. Both of her CDs are good, but I recommend getting this one first if only to see how much she got right on her first album. Plus, the songs will be stuck in your head for days, which in this case is a good thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Album Ever?, July 5 2004
This review is from: Let Go (Audio CD)
This album, first of all, has a big emotional value for me. You know, I used to listen to these songs in good and bad (but memorable) moments of my life. But that isn't going to make you like this CD, is it? No, it isn't.
Maybe the number of copies this album sold may tell you something, it wouldn't sell that much if it sucked... You know, I don't like Avril Lavigne herself. She's arrogant, sometimes she acts like a poser and things, but her songs in this album rock. It's one of the few albums where all songs are great. And it's not just the singles you've listened to at the radio or MTV, this album has much more to offer. The singles, in fact, are some of the worst songs in my opinion.
I don't know how to review such thing I love, but I'm sure you'll love it too. All songs are very catchy, and have very nice lyrics. Give it a try and then review it here to help other people decide if they should buy it or not. And, yes, this album is much better than her new album "Under My Skin".

Let Go
Let Go by Avril Lavigne (Audio CD - 2002)