march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage vpcflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools Family

4.2 out of 5 stars1,831
Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 257 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
on July 2, 2003
If you just want to find trite, simplistic music, there is plenty of it available, from Britney to Madonna. Just because the genre is alternative does not mean the lyrics have to be Dylan-esque to qualify. I first heard "I'm With You" not too long after a divorce and it lifted me out of my car seat, and I am not generally considered "shallow," and it sure wasn't "puppy love." With a huge alternative hit, she is crying all of the way to the bank with all of this sharp criticism, I am sure. Also, when critiquing alternative female artists, especially Canadians, everyone feels the need to evoke the name Alanis as the height to which to aspire. Sure, I love Alanis and admire her as someone who made it on sheer originality and emotional outreach, not to mention some great songs, but I am willing to bet that when Alanis hears Avril, she is at least a little bit envious of her voice. That brings me to the next point, Avril has a helluva set of pipes, and the recording sounds magnificent. That still counts for something with me, at least. Get used to it guys, this kid is going to be around for quite a while!
on August 9, 2002
Pop music has been dying for an artist like Avril Lavigne. Not only does she write her own music, she performs it live too using...get this...instruments! AAAGGHHH!!! For those people who enjoy good, personal lyrics and a fun time. Get this CD! Now I'll rate each song
1. Losing Grip - (3.5/5) Good guitar. Obviously very mad when she wrote this one.
2. Complicated - (4/5) Well, it was a 5/5 the first 500 times I heard it.
3. Sk8er Boi - (5/5) Fun punk about going for what ya want.
4. Mobile - (4/5) THis song really grows on you. A good song for graduates too. Go class of '02
5. Unwanted - (4/5) Awesome, guitar driven song, great chorus.
6. Tomorrow - (3/5) One of my less favorite songs on the CD, but a nice sullen ballad.
7. Anything But Ordinary - (5/5) Unbelievable beautiful rock singing by Avirl. Gave me the chills.
8. Things I'll Never Say - (2.5/5) My least fav song on the CD, a little too girly for me.
9. My World - (4/5) Any suburbanite will appreciate this song.
10. Nobody's Fool - (4/5) Avril raps a little bit, which is fun. Memorable line: "I've got a backbone stronger than yours."
11. Too Much to Ask - (3/5) Pretty good song, nothing really special about it.
12. Naked (3.5/5) - [stinks] that Jennifer Love Hewitt came up with a song so similar coz this might have been a cool single.
on July 3, 2003
Avril Lavigne's Let Go has got catchy lyrics, and it's good enough to keep you entertained. Avril Lavigne is for those who just want to listen to "just regular stuff"--anything with a good beat and catchy lyrics. Some of my favorite tracks include "Sk8er Boi" and "Anything but Ordinary" opposed to the popular "Complicated" and "I'm With You". However, I doubt her self-declared "punk" personality has made its way into her music, which remans a mild level of foot tapping, but no head bashing or flailing. Despite her attempts (both in self-declaration and dress) to be "punk" and perhaps different, she's probably just normal. She would do better to drop the wanna-be punk.
Overall though, if you like Michelle Branch, you'll probably like Lavigne too. She's got a good voice, and even if her lyrics aren't profound, it makes for a good buy.
HALL OF FAMEon June 28, 2003
This is an album of surprises. It is best enjoyed if you ignore the punk image issues. In particular, don't watch the music videos, or you'll get turned off the music before you listen to the album.
Watching Avril squint and snarl and scowl, and wear unflattering clothes detracts terribly from the music, which is for the most part extremely well done. "Complicated" and "I'm With You" are the better songs on the album, and "Sk8er Boi", while light and silly, has a catchy tune that you find yourself singing along to despite your best efforts. "Losing Grip" and "Anything But Ordinary" are also first rate songs, and deserve lots of airplay.
Avril should change her image advisors, and stop trying so hard to be punk. Her voice at times reminds you of the Corrs, and she can certainly sing.
on June 24, 2003
Forget about the image. Forget about whether she is or is not a "punk" or a "phony". Forget about whether she did or did not write the songs, or whether she can or cannot play.
The fact is, this is a strong debut CD, with very little filler. While some of the lyrics sound like they were written by a 16 year-old (lending support to the argument that she did at least HELP to write the songs), it does not overshadow the fact that the playing is tight and the hooks are catchy. She handles the ballads and the up-tempo material with equal skill.
View this for what it is...a very good POP disc that you should not feel ashamed to own. Nothing more. Nothing less. And sometimes, especially in light of the Jeschritney Simpspaguilera product that is still out there, that is not a bad thing.
on October 29, 2002
I listened to thie first five tracks of this cd on Amazon and they were good. Damn good. Track six is awesome, too; but then the slowly get worse and worse....until you end on the very good closing song, "Naked."
1) Losing Grip - 10/10
11) Nobody's Fool - 5/10
12) Too Much to Ask - 7/10
13) Naked 9/10
on September 15, 2009
It was very easy to get sick and tired of teen-aged girls singing dance-pop as there seemed to be an endless supply of them for several years. Finally we have a new artist playing rock, and while one might be tempted to give it high-marks for that alone, the fact is Avril Lavigne earns high praise for her debut album, "Let Go". Avril Lavigne was just 17 when she released this album in 2002, and while it isn't perfect or anywhere near the best rock album ever, it certainly was a breath of fresh air.

The album opens very strong with "Losing Grip", "Complicated", "Sk8er Boi", and "I'm with You" which are the four main singles from the album. The fifth piece, "Mobile" was also released as a single, but only in Australia and New Zealand. Though these are all singles, there is still a fair amount of diversity in them. "Complicated" and "Sk8er Boi" both have a bit of a Teen Pop feel to them. "Losing Grip" is a heavier piece, and "I'm With You" is a ballad. "Mobile" is a bit of a reach as a single, but is a decent piece and falls somewhere in the middle. Next up is "Unwanted" is another heavier piece, and gives the album some depth with a solid piece which is clearly not a single. "Tomorrow" is the midpoint of the album and one of the weaker pieces on the album, but still not a bad song, and once again it offers a bit of diversity from the harder style rock which is what most of the album is.

"Anything But Ordinary" brings the quality back up, and starts off a string of Teen Pop songs. "Things I'll Never Say" falls into the same category somewhat, and is another solid contribution to the album. "My World" is another teen angst piece, and continues with the Teen Pop feel of the second half of the album. "Nobody's Fool" brings some more diversity to the album, with some mini-rap sections by Avril. It is one of the weaker pieces on the album, but one can appreciate the attempt at having more than one sound. "Too Much to Ask" is another weaker piece, but as with all the pieces on the album it isn't bad and doesn't detract too much from the overall effort. "Naked" closes the album and is a little stronger than the preceding two pieces, but overall the second half of the album isn't as good as the first.

This is a very strong debut album for Avril Lavigne. She co-wrote all the songs, some of them with Clif Magness, others with a group called "The Matrix", a couple with Sabelle Breer and Curtis Frasca, and then one with Peter Zizzo. There is a fair amount of diversity in sound and her voice suits all the pieces well. Overall, this album falls somewhere between 4 and 4' stars.
on February 29, 2008
I actually didn't buy this album until after I bought Let Go, so looking at it in a sort of artistic retrospect I can see that it's musically and lyrically immature compared to Under My Skin. However, it is incredibly catchy, happier and more upbeat. Oh yeah, and by the time you buy the album you'll probably already know half the songs.
Songs:
Losing Grip: 6/10. The lyrics are incredibly bad, but it's got a nice chorus and it *is* catchy.
Complicated: 7/10. This is actually a really great song, but it's so overplayed that you get sick of it.
Sk8r Boi: 8/10. This song, though also overplayed, tells a great bratty story and the guitar riffs are cool.
I'm With You: 9/10. This song is lonely and sad sounding, but it's also very pretty and fragile.
Mobile: 6/10. Awful verses, awesome chorus. A total filler song.
Unwanted: 6/10. We're suddenly hit by a power rocker, and it's a bit of a shock after all that rock-pop.
Tomorrow: 6/10. This song is slow and acoustic, with the same kind of vulnerability and sensitivity as "I'm with You", but it lacks the catchiness of that and ends up simply a 'nice song'.
Anything but Ordinary: 8/10. This song is insufferably catchy...but the 'succulent...i wanna taste it' part is embarassing, and the lalala voices in the background are weird.
Thing's I'll Never Say: 12/10. This song is my absolute FAVORITE, I would practically have bought the album just for it, it could make 3 stars by itself. It is completely accurate in expressing how unrequited unspoken love feels, and resonates completely.
My World: 7/10. This is a cool song, but it's sorta strange. Avril's voice sounds funny, and some of the lyrics are awkard or seemingly irrelevant (what else is new?) but some of them are also funny, and for some reason you listen to it again and again. Maybe that's because it's about something unique, not just another "boy-angst song".
Nobody's Fool: 4/10. Oogh. I hate rap in the best of cases, and she can't even rap to begin with.
Too Much to Ask: 8/10. Other than some dumb lyrics in the verses (until you chose weed over me/you're so lame) it's got an interesting combination in the chorus: anger and sensitive sadness at the same time. Oh, and there's a great line in here too, surprisingly: "you can't see the world through a mirror"
Naked: 7/10. It's an okay song, but even though she sings about being vulnerable and transparent, she isn't really, not as much as in other songs.
on July 11, 2004
Okay, to get a few things over with:
1)Avril Lavigne cannot sing, nor play the guitar. Stop saying 'OH MY GOD SHE IS SOOOOO GOOD AT SINGING OH GAWD THIS GIRL HAS TALENT!'.
2)She is not punk. Neither is Good Charlotte. You want some punk? Try Nirvana, or Sum 41.
3)She isn't a skater. I'm fed up with this whole 'sk8er girl' thing. Since when did skaters wear ties and trousers big enough to fit two people in? One of my best friends is a true skater and she wears sensible clothes that mean she can actually ride her board without getting her trousers caught in the wheels.
All that aside, the songs on 'Let Go' are great! I've still given this four stars because it says 'write a review of this item' not 'write a review of this artist, her style, and talent'. It also clearly states 'Please be sure to focus your comments on the album's content'. So that's what I'll do.
1) Losing Grip - A cool song to sing along to. Great start to the album. 5/5
2) Complicated - I loved this song when I first heard it. It's still sort of OK now, but it got played a bit too much so that's why I went off it. 3/5
3) Sk8er Boi - I never really like this song to begin with, then it got overplayed waaaaay too much and now I don't like it all. Still, it's a good song to jump around to. 2/5
4) I'm With You - Beautiful ballad, and Avril's vocals actually sound good on this track! 5/5
5) Mobile - Filler track, but a good one. 3/5
6) Unwanted - You'll find yourself singing along to this whether you like it or not. Good one. 4/5
7) Tomorrow - Weak, and hard to sing to. Shame. 2/5
8) Anything But Ordinary - Good song about wanting a more exciting life. Can soooo relate! 5/5
9) Things I'll Never Say - Can also relate! Excellent! 5/5
10) My World - Hmmm, OK. 'My World' indeed! I can also relate to this one, going off in a daydream is a very bad habit of mine! 4/5
11) Nobody's Fool - She can't rap, and what she's rapping is really bad. Good strong chorus though. Catchy. 4/5
12) Too Much To Ask - Lovely song about a dude who never smiles. 5/5
13) Naked - Can sooo relate! Story of my life. *sigh* Great ending to the album. 5/5
on June 21, 2004
I usually don't listen to pop music, but Avril caught my attention mainly because her music has more of an edge to it and because well... it was pretty unavoidable seeing that my little sister listens to her 24/7, so ya know... Well this album is better than all your Britney's and stuff like that mainly because theirs some musicianship. Avril herself doesn't do most of the guitar work, its her backup band, but still, the music does make the CD more satisfying, even if it doesn't play a huge part in the songs (no solos or driving riffs, basically just chords, but its all good). I look at Avril, FeFe Dobson, Busted and McFly (those last 2 are British pop bands who also are sort of marketed as "punk" but dont live up to their image) as a new genre called "alternative pop". I really think its stupid for people to hate Avril just because she doesn't live up to an "image" or w/e, who really cares, it should be the music that counts. Record labels will do anything to make an artist sell, and jumping on a trend is a great way to do that- so I really cant blame Avril for that at all. So if you like pop music but a little bit of a rock edge (her music is kind of like 1 step down from Blink-182 and Good Charlotte, stuff like that), buy this immediately.