1,826 Reviews
 (1,189)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh New Sound
When I saw Avril on TRL and she was Carson's pick of the week I thought she was absolutely awesome at first site! Avril is a 17 year rock skateboard person from a small town in Ontario. I would reccommend this to anyone who likes Vanessa Carlton or Michelle Branch but Avril is better. She is very similair to those three (each play an instrument, are young, write their...
Published on June 6 2002 by gyrfalcon987

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun Music to Sing Along With
Avril Lavigne took the world by storm and some people are jealous and upset. Yes, I know her music is pop and that she's in fact NOT a skater or a punk. So what? When I bought this CD in June when it was first released, I didn't care whether or not she was a punk or a poser or whatever! Now people make such a big deal about that trivial issue and they forget to listen to...
Published on Nov. 11 2003 by le_baiser

4.0 out of 5 stars Upbeat Pop, yet addictive, July 9 2003
This review is from: Let Go (Audio CD)
First off, if you're looking for real punk music (The Ramones, Iggy Pop et cetera) you'll be disappointed. If you're looking for a refreshing change to the whole Britney, Nsync, bubblegum saturated pop; well then you'll probably enjoy it. I passed this album off as pure pop drivel when it first came out. But I caught a rerun of SNL the other night and saw her perform I'm With You. I was highly impressed by her vocal abilities. So I went out the next day and picked up the album. If you're judging Avril by what you hear on the radio, you're missing some really good music from a great young vocalist. The first 3 songs are her "radio" hits. Not too impressive, musically or vocally, just catchy little dittys. The other songs on the other hand really display her vocal abilities which are quite impressive for such a young girl. If you're a fan of vocalists, the album is definately worth picking up for a listen. This cd is definately not just for little teenage girls. While that may be the main demographic they're aiming at, it's got a little something for everyone. I wanted to found out what her vocal talents were really like. Somehow I haven't been able to get this cd out of my cd players. It's strangely addictive. I think if she breaks away from the poppiness of this album (which I think will come from the 3rd or 4th album) I think we'll see what she can really do. There's definately potential there. If you can get past the pop, and open your ears and give it a good listen, you'll find it a pleasantly nice album to listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Album, July 9 2003
L. Ku "pgroups" (New York) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Let Go (Audio CD)
Avril Lavigne's premiere album, the 2002 "Let Go", is a refreshing new style to enter the pop music scene. These songs are known for their witty lyrics, nostalgic melodies, and are in their own category. Bottom line is that Lavigne enter unfamiliar territory with these songs, so while it is only natural critisizm appears, I myself find "Let Go" to be a profoundly attractive compilation.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best CD I Own, July 8 2003
This review is from: Let Go (Audio CD)
I purchased this CD last summer, and reviewed it this past October, giving it 5 stars. I decided I would write another review one year after buying it for this reason: it's still one of the greatest CDs I own. Look, I don't care if the girl can't carry a tune when she performs live - I'm reviewing the CD, not her concert. I don't care if she dresses like a punk but does not sing punk music - I'm not reviewing her as a person. I have read so many of the enraged reviews on here by people whining about how she can't sing, she's not punk, she doesn't write her own music, etc. Who cares?! None of that has anything to do with her CD at all. Can't we all just stick to the product that's for sale here?
Let Go is not going to be for everyone - not everyone is going to like the same music, let's face it. But for anyone who can look past all of the little nitpicks, this CD is a rare find. Over the past year, I have listened to this CD from track 1 to track 13 over and over again, countless times, and I am still not tired of it. I'm not even tired of the tracks that have been overplayed on the radio. That's how great this CD is. I own over 200 CDs and there are only a couple that I could listen to all the way through without skipping tracks. This one takes first place. It's got mainstream pop tracks ("Complicated", "Sk8er Boi", "Mobile", "Anything but Ordinary", "Things I'll Never Say", "My World", "Nobody's Fool"), ballads ("I'm With You", "Tomorrow", "Too Much to Ask", "Naked"), and rock ("Losing Grip", "Unwanted"). Amazingly, not all of the tracks even sound alike, which is something you find a lot of on pop albums (especially ones put out by boy bands). All in all, it's a pretty amazing CD, and there is not one track on the whole CD I don't like.
If you've heard any of Avril Lavigne's songs on the radio and like them - well, then you probably already have this CD. If you don't, then what are you waiting for? Ignore all of the people who hate her just because she's popular. I don't care if she can't sing live or if she didn't write all of her songs - her debut CD is great, and I can't wait to hear more from her.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best album of the year, July 7 2003
Mr. Darren Teasdale (Newcastle) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Let Go (Audio CD)
Usually when I buy an album I am happy with 2 or 3 killer songs with a few good songs thrown in, the rest being of no interest to me. When I went out to buy this album I did so for the 3 or 4 songs I'd heard on the net. I assumed they were the few killer songs on the album, maybe there'd be another gem or two on there to suprise me. However once I listened to this album I was amazed to find that every song on it is, at the very least, extremely good, with the massive majority of the album being absolutely brilliant.
The diversity of styles in this album is another plus in my opinion. Most albums I hear are of all one style and while this is fine it can be a bit boring. This album ranges in style from pop to country to rock and more. Also as if the songs themselves weren't great enough Avril's voice is even better. Part angel, part rock chick, her sound is both beautiful and truley unique.
Forget some of the people who want to critisize her and say she's fake. Because in the end they're always the same. Bitter people who think it makes them sound clever and different (when in reality there anything but) to attempt there amature critique character assasination on people they're simply jealous of. As far as I can see Avril is a truley unique and brilliant artist and is clearly anything but fake.
In conclusion, in my opinion Let Go has to be the best album of the year and overall one of the best I've ever heard. Its definitely in my top 5 albums of all time with the likes of The Marshal Mathers LP (Eminem) and Nevermind (Nirvana).

5.0 out of 5 stars my best cd, July 6 2003
H. Georges (montréal, canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Let Go (Audio CD)
I love Avril Lavigne, she sings very well, and I like her music!
Avril writes her songs too!
I'd like all songs particularly losing grip and complicated.
I think she has a great talent.
I wish she will write other songs.
S I highly recommended it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars dreeses like a punk, July 5 2003
Elisa Gonzalez (Antioch, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Let Go (Audio CD)
I think that Avril is a littel punk girl cuz the way she dreeses she can dreeses the way she wants to cuz i dreeses the same way she does some times that doesnt mean im a littel punk cuz the way i dreeses if u guys new me would you juge me like the way you juge her and it is not the way u look on the out side its whats on the in side so dont juge people intell u now them really good

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST C.D. EVER!, July 5 2003
Philippe (Brossard, Pq, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Let Go (Audio CD)
taht debut album from avril lavigne sure knocked me out!! I fisrt thought that no c.d. has only good songs but I was wrong! they all deserve 10/10, 100/100! now i'm looking for another c.d. with only 10/10 songs but never found. i keep searching! now I highly recommend that c.d. to all I mean all fans of pop,rock and even a little punk! well I recommend that c.d. to everyone! this is a masterpiece! I cant wait for her next album... some songs take time to grow on you but now its been more then a year(bought it the first day) and I absolutly love all the songs not one was disapointing dont let anyone tell you otherwise then that: BUY IT! its worth your money!
her 4 songs out on the radio prooves it(complicated sk8er boi, losing grip, im with you) believe me!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite punk, but not bad, July 3 2003
This review is from: Let Go (Audio CD)
Avril Lavigne's Let Go has got catchy lyrics, and it's good enough to keep you entertained. Avril Lavigne is for those who just want to listen to "just regular stuff"--anything with a good beat and catchy lyrics. Some of my favorite tracks include "Sk8er Boi" and "Anything but Ordinary" opposed to the popular "Complicated" and "I'm With You". However, I doubt her self-declared "punk" personality has made its way into her music, which remans a mild level of foot tapping, but no head bashing or flailing. Despite her attempts (both in self-declaration and dress) to be "punk" and perhaps different, she's probably just normal. She would do better to drop the wanna-be punk.
Overall though, if you like Michelle Branch, you'll probably like Lavigne too. She's got a good voice, and even if her lyrics aren't profound, it makes for a good buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Let Go ~Avril Lavigne, July 3 2003
This review is from: Let Go (Audio CD)
i think that Avril has talent at such a young age. that' all i wanted to write down. bye, flustered.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lighten up on the kid!, July 2 2003
Kim A Weighous (Mena, AR United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Let Go (Audio CD)
If you just want to find trite, simplistic music, there is plenty of it available, from Britney to Madonna. Just because the genre is alternative does not mean the lyrics have to be Dylan-esque to qualify. I first heard "I'm With You" not too long after a divorce and it lifted me out of my car seat, and I am not generally considered "shallow," and it sure wasn't "puppy love." With a huge alternative hit, she is crying all of the way to the bank with all of this sharp criticism, I am sure. Also, when critiquing alternative female artists, especially Canadians, everyone feels the need to evoke the name Alanis as the height to which to aspire. Sure, I love Alanis and admire her as someone who made it on sheer originality and emotional outreach, not to mention some great songs, but I am willing to bet that when Alanis hears Avril, she is at least a little bit envious of her voice. That brings me to the next point, Avril has a helluva set of pipes, and the recording sounds magnificent. That still counts for something with me, at least. Get used to it guys, this kid is going to be around for quite a while!

ARRAY(0xf36e630)

Let Go
Let Go by Avril Lavigne (Audio CD - 2002)