1,827 Reviews
 (1,191)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh New Sound
When I saw Avril on TRL and she was Carson's pick of the week I thought she was absolutely awesome at first site! Avril is a 17 year rock skateboard person from a small town in Ontario. I would reccommend this to anyone who likes Vanessa Carlton or Michelle Branch but Avril is better. She is very similair to those three (each play an instrument, are young, write their...
Published on June 6 2002 by gyrfalcon987

3.0 out of 5 stars Avril Lavigne Has Got To Let Go!
Okay, for a decade of mini-clones, this one isn't half bad. After mini-Madonna (Britney Spears), and mini-Mariah (Christina Aguilera), here comes a delightful mini-Alanis.

Album Cover: 4/5
The cover shows Avril in a defiant pose on top of a fuzzy background that is so similar to Alanis' "Thank U" video. However, looking at this cover, I cannot help but...
Published on June 1 2008 by Qian Song

3.0 out of 5 stars An Alright Album, from an alright artist, June 25 2004
John (Atlanta GA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Let Go (Audio CD)
No this album doesn't "TOTALLY RAWKS!" nor does it "OMG SHE'S A POSER AND SHE SUXX!" the album is alright.Her style is very shadowed by her image and way overproduced. Despite that, she keeps rolling with the hits in songs such as "Complicated" or "Sk8ter Boi". And then there's nice ballads like "I'm With You" or "Tomarrow" but still leave the cringe of flaky lyrics and vapid prodcution. Her efforts are noble, but comes up short. Her bratty attitude doesn't help either. Don't get me wrong she's a good singer, not a great writer, not a good performer, but she's still young and obviously has not reached a large enough crowd to truly be considered a one-of-a kind artist. The album's first few songs are dry but catchy while the last few songs are actually pleasing. My reccomendations are, if you like the sound her you'll like the album, if you're not statisfyed with her depth or presence she touts, then pass this album up. Myself, I found it more of step of career rather than setting her on the map, where that be in the teen pop world, the adult alternative world, or the rock world, where she claims she's aiming for. If she claims that she fails. But I think avril needs to find herself, and her own, real style before mimicking another's of being "cool" or "hip".
-JohnD.

1.0 out of 5 stars What is music?, June 22 2004
T. Torres "antiradioandmtv" (Miami, FL United States) - See all my reviews
What is music?
Music is either four things.
1:A form of art in which you express your feelings.
Example: Master Johann Sebastian Bach, Master Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart or Master Lugwig van Beethoven
2:A form of art in which you express thought
Example: Dream Theater
3:A from of art in which you show your abilities
Example: Yngwee Malmsteen, Steve Bai and many other musicians with different instruments besides the guitar
4:A form of art in which you demonstrate your creative abilities to create melodies that has a special effect in your mind and that stay in it forever(In other words, not so much ability to play but awesome songs)
Examples: The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd or Queen
What do you get with Lavinge? A bunch of songs of which Lyrics are written by professional songwriters (90%) and Lavigne(10%) and 100%of the music is written by the songwriters.
You also get an image of a neo-pop revolution. The one that takes the image of an underground culture of the 60s,70s and 80s (Punk) and that is being used by big companies (In the clothing and music industry). Nothing wrong with being rich and be owner of companies, but don't take the image of Lavigne as a something new or fresh. Is just an image created to make money and save some of the lost money of the labels when the numbers of Britney Spears and Nsync went down.
Does Lavigne say she is punk today? No
Did she say it at the beginning? Yes, because she was told to do so. The intention of the label was to make her look like some kind of female solo image of other pop bands(that call themself punk, like Good Charlotte or Sum 41). The problem was, that she wasn't "punk" and the sound of the music that was given to her so she could perform it wasn't anything like the punk music. It wasn't even pop-rock. So there was only a couple of articles in magazines in which she said she was punk, plus the clothe, and many people, with good reasons, just got really mad. For example, in the Editorial Review of Amazon.com of the album "Let go"(The one that amazon.com does), the first words are "Self professed skater punk Avril...". That is the kind of things that makes many people get mad. I actually saw for a few seconds a concert of her on TV some months ago. There was this giant "A" inside a circle. The one that is supposed to represent "Anarchy" (I say supposed because the punks, whether they are real "punks" or just kids that hang out at the mall, in most of the cases don't know what the politic, social and economic theory of Anarchism is ). Another example of a fake image. I guess that Max Stirner, Joseph Pierre Proudhon, Mikhail Bakunin, Peter Kropotkin and Errico Malatesta are not having a good time in their graves. Not that I agree with their ideas but...I don't think that their dream was a world with labels and pop singers making millions with the word Anarchy.
Are there still people that call her punk? Yes
Does she play the guitar? No she doesn't. Everybody know she doesn't. Well, not knowing how to play the acoustic or the electric guitar is not a sin. What makes people get mad, is that one of the factors that makes her sell, is appearing in pictures and videos playing the guitar (The picture of her single "Losing Grip" is a perfect example). It is a real shame that the labels are not only releasing bad products. The fact that they make money LYING is horrible.
Good Lyrics? Even though Lavigne has a very particular style in the interviews (Is some kind of...wannabe rebel) to sell more (yes, again), her attitude is not the one of the lyrics. A clear sign that everything is the work of professional songwriters. Also, they are extremely childish. She has said that she doesn't write songs for babies (Actually she doesn't write songs at all) and when you listen to the songs and you wonder if they were written by a middle school girl or by a professional that wrote them for middle school girls
The fact that Lavigne sells millions means she is good? Of course not. In the American music industry (That invades the other industries of the world), even William Hung sells a lot. It is all about image and marketing and the work of the labels. Explore a little bit beyond the Top40 and you'll see. There is the wrong idea of some people that think that there are people that like to criticize anything that sells more than 10 copies because they think is cool. It is not like that. I love the bands that I mentioned above and they all still sell millions. But I also can't stand some of the stuff that is in the Top charts. If you are gonna defend Lavigne don't say that the fact that she sells millions makes her good. Because that is not important anymore. If she wins the Grammy that doesn't matter either. 50Cent won 5 Grammies. Does that mean he's good? No.
I just wanted to give my opinion about Lavigne (again) and express my ideas. There is nothing wrong with that. It seems that those that give their opinions are classified as people that need to "get a life". Why is that? I don't know.
This album wasn't made by Lavigne (no feeling),nothing new(no thought), nothing relevant in the music and no voice that other singers can't match. She is an inferior live performer. It's mostly studio work (no abilities)and nothing but catchy songs (no great themes). This album doesn't represent any of the four things that music can be. She is going to keep on selling a lot. But I just wanted to give my two pennies.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty darn good for pop, June 21 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Let Go (Audio CD)
I usually don't listen to pop music, but Avril caught my attention mainly because her music has more of an edge to it and because well... it was pretty unavoidable seeing that my little sister listens to her 24/7, so ya know... Well this album is better than all your Britney's and stuff like that mainly because theirs some musicianship. Avril herself doesn't do most of the guitar work, its her backup band, but still, the music does make the CD more satisfying, even if it doesn't play a huge part in the songs (no solos or driving riffs, basically just chords, but its all good). I look at Avril, FeFe Dobson, Busted and McFly (those last 2 are British pop bands who also are sort of marketed as "punk" but dont live up to their image) as a new genre called "alternative pop". I really think its stupid for people to hate Avril just because she doesn't live up to an "image" or w/e, who really cares, it should be the music that counts. Record labels will do anything to make an artist sell, and jumping on a trend is a great way to do that- so I really cant blame Avril for that at all. So if you like pop music but a little bit of a rock edge (her music is kind of like 1 step down from Blink-182 and Good Charlotte, stuff like that), buy this immediately.

1.0 out of 5 stars I know some better music peeps!, June 10 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Let Go (Audio CD)
My uncle Lester said "Go out and get some REAL music" to me and my sister the other day. He really upsets me. But he said that Avril has no talent. He grabbed the CD out of my hand and pointed to it and said "She don't even write her own songs, man!"
Uncle Lester says you have to have three things to be a good artist 1) be able to write your own songs 2) be able to put major 7 chords in your songs and 3) be able to play your own instruments. And he said "Avril can't do ANY of that!"
So to tick off my uncle Lester I put this CD in his Trans Am and blasted it away. The Hefty bag that he uses for a back window got sucked out of the back of the car when we were on the interstate because we had the music pumpin! It was so funny. My sister Caitlyn tried to catch it but it flew out the back before she could even grab it.
The whole time we listened to this CD my uncle Lester made comments on EVERY song. Like just be quiet and listen to Avril. But he said, I'll tell you what REAL music is. Like WHATEVER!
1. Losing Grip
Uncle Lester says "listen to "I'm Losing You" by John Lennon instead.

2. Complicated
Uncle Lester says "listen to the Rolling Stones "Complicated" instead."
3. Sk8er Boi
Uncle Lester says "listen to Bread's Greatest hits instead"
4. I'm With You
Uncle Lester says listen to "I'm In You" by Peter Frampton instead.

5. Mobile
UL said listen to Goin' Mobile by the Who instead.

6. Unwanted
UL said listen to "Under the Milky Way" by the Church instead.
7. Tomorrow
Uncle Lester said listen to "Tomorrow" by Wings instead.

8. Anything But Ordinary
UL said listen to "Extraordinary" by Prince instead.

9. Things I'll Never Say
UL said listen to "Things We Said Today" by the Beatles instead.

10. My World
UL said listen to "My World Fell Down" by Sagittarius instead.

11. Nobody's Fool
UL said listen to "Nobody Told Me" by John Lennon instead.

12. Too Much To Ask
Uncle L. said listen to "Never Ask Me" by Pete Townshend instead.

13. Naked
Uncle Lester said listen to "Naked in the Rain" by RHCP instead.
So I listened to all the songs that my uncle said to listen to. You know what I did with my Avril CD the very next day? I gave it to a girl at the mall with an Avril t-shirt on and it really made her day. Now I'm listening to David Bowie CDs instead. And I found that I am so much happier. Wow, thanks Uncle Lester for steering me in the direction of some real music.
Josh

1.0 out of 5 stars Get A Grip, Dude., June 8 2004
This review is from: Let Go (Audio CD)
The reviewer below needs to calm down a bit. It is NOT true that Avril Lavigne is God and knows all the answers to the riddles of the universe. Difficult as it is to fathom, Avril is still just a mortal human being, like you or me. It IS true, however, that Avril combines the musical abilities of Mozart and Duke Ellington all rolled up in the hottest little package ever known to mankind. That much I WILL grant you.
In terms of her singing voice, if Renee Fleming and Aretha Franklin had a lovechild (now THERE'S a thought!), and if that child had been given the finest musical training from the age of 2 to, say, late middle age, acquiring the emotional maturity of the seasoned artist while still maintaining the freshness of a young ingenue...then we might have something approaching the spectacular abilities of the awesome AVRIL.
In terms of her lyric-writing ability, if you were to take Shakespeare, Pushkin, and Noel Coward, and mix 'em all up and give them astounding insight into the minds of all the 12-year-old middle-class white girls in North America, encompassing all their joys and sorrows and profound musings on life, love, and the unified field theory, then you might get some inkling of what AVRIL is capable of, with her Zen-like haikus and infinitely subtle prosody and wordplay illuminating the human condition to its very core.
So, while I am not quite ready to make a graven image of her and offer up my firstborn, I am willing to concede that we are very lucky indeed to be living at this hour, when Avril walks among us. Cherish this moment in history. We shall not look upon her like again.

1.0 out of 5 stars "He was a sk8er boi she said see ya later boi."OMG OMG OMG!!, June 7 2004
T. Torres "antiradioandmtv" (Miami, FL United States) - See all my reviews
OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!
This is unique. Perfect!!!!Genious. Masterpiece. This goes far beyond anything achieved by any human mind in history. Those words that you can read in the title are THE MOST DEEP work of art of any kind achieved by any human being. Period. I mean when I heard those words in the radio while I was at home, I almost died. I almost had a heart attack. I said to myself "You have to calm down, is just a song" but I couldn't. I couldn't. I went out of my house and I screamed during hours...not hours, I'm lying, there were weeks that I spent doing nothing in the streets leaving my life behind screaming to everyone "I discovered the ultimate meaning of life!!!!". Such a meaning, such a feeling, such a perfect and unique way to use the language. Socrates, Plato, Aristoteles,the pre-Enlightement thinkers and Enlightement thinkers such as Hobbes, Locke, Spinoza, Voltaire, Rosseau etc, the science revolution thinkers such as Newton or the end of 18th and those of the 19th century german philosophers such as Hegel, Shopenhauer and Nietzche or the economics thinkers such as Smith and Marx are NOTHING compared to the INFINITE DEEPNESS of that extremenly talented mind of the Genious Avril Lavinge that wrote sentences such as ...as....I have to calm down because I get very excited when I remember this holy words...here I go...Behold!!! "He was a sk8er boi she said see ya later boi".OMG!!! Isn't that the most awesome and the finnest example of how the Universe can have the ultimate meaning of the excistence?.No, I'm wrong. It is BEYOND the limits of the Universe. And as a musician she is something that the world has never seen. Bach, Mozart, Beethoveen, Wagner, Vedi, Tchaivkovsky and Stravinsky never knew anything about music. They knew NOTHING!!!. If you compare those wannabe musicians with the ultimate mind of Avril, they are in the most deep abysm of hell while Avril is at an ultimate number (that hasn't been created yet because is too big)of trillion light years beyond the stars. And the way she plays the guitar is something that can make people have orgasms in the ears. Yes, I hope those guys with long hair and those that call themselves musicians and guitarrists (Page, Malmsteen, Vai,Clapton,Petrucci and Romeo (And I finnish here because the list is a kind of long),etc) and the spirit of that dead guy Hendrix are reading this. This is an advice for you you you you wannabe guitar players: You can't play the guitar.Is time go back to the practice room because Avril Rocks in da house and she smokes all of you with the guitar.
As a final Statement I DECLARE that Avril Lavinge is the most superior mind that the entire Universe has ever seen, and will ever be witnessed of. Her creations will change the existence of everything that exists and will exist in all the dimenisions....Just kiddig...Go the Hell Lavinge..HAHAHAHA

5.0 out of 5 stars One Juicy Slice of Canadian Bacon, June 5 2004
Ashley (Phoenix, AZ (USA)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Let Go (Audio CD)
Avril Lavigne is a born rebel with a unique sense of style and personality. Her album, Let Go, is basically a mixture of pop, pop, and more pop.
1.) "Losing Grip"=8/10~This song is a dark and catchy opener. I once heard that this is Avril's favorite track and I can see why.
2.) "Complicated"=9/10~When I first heard of Avril Lavigne, this was the song that was playing.
3.) "Sk8er Boi"=11/10~Call me shallow, juvenile, or whatever you want, but I am still entitled to my opinion. This is the best track on the entire album (!!!) and I can see why they play it on the radio a lot.
4.) "I'm With You"=9/10~I normally don't like ballads at all. But this is an exception; it has a nice story line to it.
5.) "Mobile"=8/10~To me, this song seems to be one of the fillers, but I like it anyway.
6.) "Unwanted"=10/10~This is quite an edgy song about a relationship gone wrong. I love it!
7.) "Tomorrow"=10/10~It is nice to see Avril sensitive every once in awhile.
8.) "Anything But Ordinary"=10/10~That you are, Avril; that you are...:)
9.) "Things I'll Never Say"=10/10~This is a nice and cute, lil' love song from the antagonized "sk8er gurl": Priceless.
10.) "My World"=9/10~A nice visual of an average life in the small town of Napanee. I especially like the part when she says that she got fired by "fried-chicken a**." (Tee-hee!)
11.) "Nobody's Fool"=10/10~Avril is an AWESOME rapper, and I think she should do it more often.
12.) "Too Much to Ask"=8/10~Forgive me for expressing this, but I think Avril sounds kinda' "countryish" in this song.
13.) "Naked"=9/10~This is a nice way to end the album...One of my favorite songs.
All in all, this CD was FANTASTIC!!! And trust me, it is definitely worth your twenty bucks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not as Good, but good for what she had to offer, May 30 2004
Mary (Under a Rock, Hicksville, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Let Go (Audio CD)
I say this album isn't as good as Under My Skin, but I stil lthink she put out the best album she was able to do back then.
1. Losing Grip-This song is really cool, I love it. Great opneing song. 10/10
2.Complicated-The radio played this too much but it's still a good song. 9/10
3.Sk8er Boi- I used to love this song, now it's stil ok, but not my favorite. 9/10
4.I'm With You- Such a great song. It's a heart touching ballad. 10/10
5.Mobile- Probably my least favorite track.8/10
6.Unwanted- Avril's faovrite track. It's so cool. 10/10
7.Tomorrow- LOVE IT! 10/10
8.Anything But Ordinary-Yes that's what you are Avril. 9/10
9. Thing's I'll Never Say- This is an awesome song. 10/10
10. My World- This is a great song to sing if you live in a small town. 9/10
11.Nobody's Fool- I'm surprised, if Avril had wnated to, she would've been a pretty good rapper. 10/10
12. Too Much To Ask- One of my favorites. 10/10
13. Naked- Good closing to good album. 10/10
126/130=5 stars

4.0 out of 5 stars Exrtaordinary Start, You Have Brought Me Into Pop, May 26 2004
Claire (Fairfield, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Let Go (Audio CD)
Avril Lavigne has arrived on the scene setting herself apart from the rest of the pop princesses out there. Her music, as well as her image takes on a harder side than what most of us think when we think pop. This change comes as a relief to me, finnaly seeing someone like her able to get out there and get a record deal. Throughout my 15 years, I have distinctly avoided pop because of the image it gets as prep music and have had a better appreciation for rock as I am a musician my self. I have made my exception with Avril. Her lyrics touch base on a lot of problems the typical (but what is typical) teenager has. She also puts herslef into the album with songs like "Mobile" where she tells of how she has to keep moving and never gets to settle down. It's song like these that remind us that being a star isn't all that it's cracked up to be, no matter what they want you to think.
Musically, I give it five stars for some exellent variation ranging from the hyped up "Sk8ter Boi" to the slowed down "Tomorrow" and "I'm with you". Personally, they have overplayed "Complicated" on the radio waaaaay to much, but if it gets people to buy this album, I'm alright with it. But don't just buy this for that single. There are so many better things than that song, and I'm sure Avril would agree with me. (she must be sick of performing that song by now anyways)
The reason why I did not give this freshman album a full five is this- I don't think this is her best. I believe she can give out more and more and this CD is just the tip of her iceberg. GO FOR IT AVRIL!! I am looking foward to your next cd, which I think I should go and buy sooner or later.
If Avril Lavigne turns out to be a fad, I'll still be an old hippie whom is still a fan. O yes by the way, Evan, Matt and Mark, you guys play some good stuff too. I had to put you guys in there.
Just go and get the CD, I think more people besides me will take a closer look at this sk8ter girl, and even pop overall. Thanks Avril.

2.0 out of 5 stars Neither Avril NOR Liz are worth your money..., May 13 2004
J. A. SIMMONS "frankenstein65" (Downingtown, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Let Go (Audio CD)
Reviewer Hilary Miller states (about Avril Lavigne) "They think she's so edgy and punk just because she wears sloppy clothes and poses with her guitar", while attempting to laud the so-so talent that is Liz Phair. Some might even think that Lavigne is a sugar-coated, much younger version of Liz, but...Certainly not a fan of Avril's by any means, but the last time I looked at a Liz Phair album cover, wearing sloppy clothes and posing with her guitar (see Liz Phair: Liz Phair) was EXACTLY what Ms. Phair was doing. Surely a case of the pot calling the kettle black, but no matter...Neither Liz Phair's self-absorption nor Avril Lavigne's immature whininess belong in my cd collection. If you want to hear a woman who can truly sing, without all the hyperbole and trumped-up "rock-n-roll" attitude, go buy yourself a Kate Bush album...SHE can sing, write AND dance circles around either one of the aforementioned bimbos any day of the week (Liz Phair's saving grace is that she KNOWS she's never been in the same class as Kate).

Let Go
Let Go by Avril Lavigne (Audio CD - 2002)