5.0 out of 5 stars Hollywood at it's Best, May 28 2004
zimmie57 "zimmie57" (Cary, Illinois United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Somewhere..Rainbow: Musicals (Audio CD)
The music on this double CD is excellent, as is the sound quality. Every song brings a smile to my face. I love Classic Rock, and although I'm not going to compare apples to oranges, I love to just stop rocking now and then, and listen to the great music from this era. Over the last few years I have been adding great music from the likes of Frank Sinatra, Judy Garland, Glen Miller, etc. to my library, and this one ranks very high on my list for a compilation of great Hollywood musicals. Crank up the volume and enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wundebar!, May 23 2003
Matteo C. Costamagna "Matteo by the Sea" (Newport, oregon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Somewhere..Rainbow: Musicals (Audio CD)
This is a a fun-filled walk down Memory Lane!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, Dec 1 2002
amwalker11 (Chapel Hill, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Somewhere..Rainbow: Musicals (Audio CD)
I've been writing a musical comedy for awhile, and needed some music for the scene segues. It takes place in Hollywood circa 1940s, and I'll tell you, this captures the era perfectly. It wasn't the classics like "Singin' in the Rain" or "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" that really impressed me. Some of my favorites are "Going Hollywood", an upbeat and hopeful tune...Astaire's "If Swing Goes, I Go Too", Brilliant! Stop reading this review already, and add this to your cart. You'll be the envy of all your friends-Ok, maybe not. But who the heck cares, its a great CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for any musical nuts!, Oct. 3 2002
scottie (Sintra, Portugal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Somewhere..Rainbow: Musicals (Audio CD)
That's it, guys! This two CDs will make us return to the golden era of musicals, it selects the most famous songs of movies of 30's, but mostly 40's and 50's.
Some people say it should have been more Fred and Ginger musics, others say there should have been more Bing Crosby... but one thing is undeniable it's a true masterpiece that I never get tired listening.
It includes some classics that I had already known- "Singin' In The Rain", "There's No Business Like Show Business" (the original, not the Ethel Merman version), "S'wonderfu"l, "That's Entertainment"(4 people singing!), "Lullaby of Broadway", "Night and Day"(a gem, even today!), "They Can't Take That Away From Me", "Over the Rainbow"(moving), "The Trolley Song", "Gigi", "I Got Rhytm", "The Lady Is a Tramp" (I knew the Sinatra version from Pal Joey), "Cheek to Cheek" (immortal), "A Kiss To Build A Dream On" (I prefer other orchestration, this one is too calm), "Let's Face The Music And Dance" (not by Diana Krall!), "Be a Clown, Embraceable You, On The Atchison, Topeka and The Santa Fe" (I knew the Crosby version), "One For My Baby" (I knew the Sinatra version).
But there where a lot of musics that I didn't know and I began to love- Easter parade (too bad there wasn't "It Only Happens When I Dance With You"!) True Love (I'm a huge Crosby fan), "Baby It's Cold Outside" (Delicious! Fantastic! No wonder it earned the 1949 oscar!), "Bless Your Beautiful Hide", "Taking a Chance On Love" (very beautiful), "Wunderbar" (I adore Cole Porter), etc.
There are two tracks that some guys might say that they aren't from musicals- "Lara's Theme" from Dr. Zhivago and "As Time Goes By"- but I was happy to found them here, cause I'm not going to buy the complete soundtracks.
A word to describe the CDs-TIMELESS!

5.0 out of 5 stars You won't be able to stop listening to this gem. A WINNER!!, July 18 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Somewhere..Rainbow: Musicals (Audio CD)
Take all the greatest songs from Hollywood's greatest musicals, use top modern technology to make them sound amazing (while maintaining faithfulness to the original sonics), put them all together in a beautifully designed double CD, and you've got SOMEWHERE OVER THE RAINBOW.
I've had this for over two weeks now, and still don't want to listen to anything else. All my favorite performers are here from Bing Crosby to Doris Day and everyone else in between. There are great liner notes, wonderful pictures, and at this price, getting so many songs for so (relatively) little money is an amazing bargain. I highly recommend this CD set.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is Movie Musical Soundtrack Heaven. A MUST!, June 5 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Somewhere..Rainbow: Musicals (Audio CD)
The great folks at Rhino and Turner have once again come up with a treasure chest of great (if not THE GREATEST!) songs from the golden era of Movie Musicals. With an emphasis from the masterpieces of MGM, but also with selections from Warner Bros. and RKO, this 2 CD set is simply a must-have for fans of soundtrack gems. All the great moments are here: Fred Astaire's romantic warblings to Ginger Rogers of CHEEK TO CHEEK, THEY CAN'T TAKE THAT AWAY FROM ME and LET'S FACE THE MUSIC AND DANCE; Gene Kelly's immortal SINGIN' IN THE RAIN, his fabulous duets with Judy Garland on FOR ME AND MY GAL and BE A CLOWN, and then of course there's Judy herself: The amazing GET HAPPY, the Oscar winning ON THE ATCHISON,TOPEKA, & SANTA FE, and of course the track that influenced the collection's title, OVER THE RAINBOW.
The list goes on and on; I got chills listening to the huge stereophonic splendor of HALLELUJAH from "Hit the Deck", and the gorgeous duet by Vic Damone and Ann Blyth of STRANGER IN PARADISE from "Kismet". The superstar line-up also includes Louis Armstrong, Bing Crosby, Howard Keel, Jane Powell, Tommy Dorsey, Lena Horne, Mickey Rooney, and dozens of others.
If you don't have any of the full Rhino albums these tracks are taken from (each one of which is worth buying on its own), then this double CD is a sampler that will make you want all of them.
If you already have the full albums, you'll want this super compilation as something you'll listen to in the car or the house or on your walkman over and over again.
To top it off, there are SUPERB liner notes which are succinct and eloquent in encapsulating the genius of such a varied and unique collection of soundtrack performances. The notes are written by John Fricke, who has previously worked his magic on several great reissues and compilations, including many for Rhino. His work here is, as usual, superb.
The sound quality overall is simply terrific. Some of the tracks are nearly 70 years old, but sound very, very good. Many of the tracks from the later vintage sound as if they were recorded yesterday. All in all, a sensational product, highly recommended!

Somewhere..Rainbow: Musicals
Somewhere..Rainbow: Musicals by Various Artists (Collections) (Audio CD - 2002)