5.0 out of 5 stars Times are Hard for Dreamers..this movie makes life beautiful
This movie, in the first few minutes can completely capture your attention and will you to see the glorious middle and finally the end to the dream. Audrey Tatou masterfully makes this movie what it is. Her enigmatic and at the same time bold style in this movie makes you care so much about her character's life and "fabuleux destin" (Amazing destiny). I cannot...
Published on March 1 2005 by Eliza

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for french speaking users
Don't get me wrong, this move is a masterpiece in it's every aspects. Also the video and sound quality is there.

The problem is that the movie has English subtitles burn-in and I wish I would've known that before making this purchase. If you're looking for the clean french version of this movie, don't get the alliance release of it because you won't be able to...
Published on July 7 2011 by Christian

‹ Previous | 148 49 50 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars too sweet, Dec 13 2002
By A Customer
This is a romantic comedy (aka chick flick) with extra sugar added in. By the virtue of being foreign, it is more interesting and refreshing than the usual Julia Roberts movies.
Yet it is even cuter, and much more childish. It has some sickly sweet quality that is hard to describe. It is a long movie where tiny little cute things happen, and Amelie just blinks with her huge eyes. This is like a funnier version of the movie Magnolia - but still there is something not-so-subtly depressing about those childishly naive and one-sided characters.
I went to see a movie that I had hears was good, but neither me nor my date liked it. What astounded me is that later it grew more and more famous and hyped up, and all of my friends like it!
By the way, camera work, colors, imagery are very good. But not outstanding enough to make the entire movie worth watching.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Movie, Quick Service!, Jan. 17 2011
The movie is wonderful and highly suggested.

The service from Amazon.ca was excellent. I searched high & low for a bluray copy of this movie for a Christmas present and could not find it anywhere. Amazon.ca was the only place that had it and sent it out quickly. Great service, thanks so much.

CSG

1.0 out of 5 stars Cutesy, at best, Jan. 25 2003
J. Black (Pennsylvania) - See all my reviews
The filmmakers seem desperate to capture the viewer's attention. Perhaps I should have been impressed by the use of bold colors and surprised by the presentational style. But I wasn't. Unfortunately, those gimmicks don't distract from the thin storyline and beige characters: quirky gal looks for Mr. Right and interacts with her eccentric friends. Yawn.
If, by chance, this film is intended as a parody of art-house films, then it sort of succeeds. Luckily, I only wasted a few bucks by renting it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Feels Good, Touching, Cause for Pause, Jan. 11 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Amélie (Version française) (DVD)
A fresh (for North America) look at life and the impact you can make on others life. Uplifing, funny (some parts are very funny), and rewarding.

1.0 out of 5 stars i hated this movie, Sept. 7 2002
Popescu Lucian (Bucharest, Romania) - See all my reviews
Since there is no "goodness" except into people's minds, the whole idea of the movie tuns into pieces. A predominance of female supporters can easily be explained in the archetype of womanhood Amelie portrays. This is the ONLY plus in the movie. Accordingly, the average woman is utterly irrational and in order to avert responsibility of hers own acts, she typically sees herself as victim. To strengthen this self-indulgent image, she seeks company of other "victims" and frequently involves into "humanitarian" acts. The difference between Amelie and factual reality consists in HOW MUCH the victim-character is working to convey its true nature. Amelie is CRUCIADING against normality. She thinks having the right of intruding people's lives, being backed with such insight truly shameful not being shared with the rest of us, the poor unenlightened. She might be broadly classified as a crossover between the preaching evangelical and infamous "civil rights activist". (It's probably unnecessary to remind you how much I hate these sorry shacks of humans.)
Outside of these considerations, Amelie is extremely long, absolutely boring, pleading for the beauty of ignorance devoid of responsibility, cheaply sentimental and FINALLY filled with recycled religion and postmodern rubbish.

1.0 out of 5 stars too long and boring, Oct. 3 2002
J. Tan (San Jose, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I fell asleep when I was watching it. It's too slow and boring. Why do people highly rate this movie?

1.0 out of 5 stars I hate narrating! The narrator's voice sounded so annoying!, Feb. 11 2003
By A Customer
If I new it was going to be subtitles and narrating I would have avoided it all together. First 20 minutes and I just couldn't watch anymore. The scenes were kind of dull. I do not like foreign films and this one didn't change my opinion. I go to a movie to relax and enjoy and let it do all the work to entertain me. I don't want to have to squint and concentrate and rush reading so I can understand the storyline. It just gave me a headache and I was instantly turned off. If I want to read I will get a book. On top of everything else the narrator's voice(male - creepy old man) sounded so dam annoying. I thought this was going to be a charming feel good movie with a sweet girl and nice accents in some nostalgic little quaint village and interesting people who got a second chance at happiness. Who knows, maybe when I get patience or desparate I'll give this movie a 2nd chance.

1.0 out of 5 stars "Amelie": avoid it with someone you love, May 2 2003
J. Figler "jfigl" (portland, or United States) - See all my reviews
America's relationship with France, never the hardiest, was dealt a decisive blow with France's refusal to give the big "thumbs-up" to our incursion into Iraq. Some feel the enmity thus engendered in U.S. hearts to be more than justified. "Bushwa," I say (mainly because it's fun); if there were indeed a reason to be angry with our snail-eating friends across the sea it would be, rather, the illegal and unjust "Amelie".
It has been noted elsewhere that Audrey Tautou bears a striking physical resemblance to Rowan Atkinson's Mr. Bean, but personally I believe this comment to be "below the belt", and have no intention of dignifying its rancor by repeating it here. More germane: that the relentless symmetry of "Amelie"'s visual design (take note, budding film makers: nothin' screams "MY MOVIE IS A MASTERPIECE!" quite as loudly as having the same things on both halves of the screen) and Tautou's endlessly coy grins, grimaces and pie-eyed glances into the camera (kootchie-kootchie!) turned my face as GREEN as most of the shots in this film, for reasons I have no way of divining, happen to be.
As for the narration, mercilessly cloying in two languages, well!: it is the rare film indeed that would not benefit from the excision of same. Film is a medium consisting of both pictures- THAT MOVE!- and sound. There are many possibilities inherent in this combination. It would be good for film makers to exhaust them all before resorting, ever so reluctantly, to the hiring of someone to stand off-screen and tell us about things we are not being shown (or worse) to explain to us things we ARE being shown, or (also bad) to explain what the characters on-screen are thinking or feeling about what is happening, or not happening, to them, or whatever.
C'est la vie (That Gallic charm is infectious).
It is for now a technical impossibility to give a film a negative-star rating; one star will have to do. Some films, however, are indeed wholly without merit.
Thank you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Personally, I prefer "City of Lost Children"..., Oct. 1 2004
This review is from: Amélie (Version française) (DVD)
It's most likely just personal taste, but I wasn't blown away by this movie as much as most of the other people here seem to be. It was a valiant attempt, sure, for a director who'd only made dark films before to try to film a light comedy. Somehow, it didn't quite click with me. I judge this film a good effort, but I think that it missed its potential too often.
I'll start with the first problem: The narrator. The narrator is present throughout the film, basically describing the story at every step; whenever a new character comes into the film, the narrator describes their "likes" and "dislikes". For me, this was especially distracting at the beginning of the film, when new characters came onto the screen so quickly that it was difficult to keep track of them all. Also, I may be alone, but I find the concept of judging a person by what they "like" and "dislike" to be a very shallow way of looking at them.
The narrator is the "easy way around", but I don't think he's the best; sometimes, I really wished that Jeunet would use him less and use other ways, such as images, sequences, or conversations to tell the story.
Another thing that botherred me was the film's attitude to love (don't read the next sentence if you're underage); that true love comes only through flirting and passionate sex. There is NEVER any conversation between the people in the film who are in love that would show that they love each other for something other than their bodies or their outward mannerisms; instead, it's all instinctive, impulsive, physical love. Really, I found it a bit silly, shallow and demeaning to the viewer.
Thirdly, almost all of the characters in this film, including Amelie, are so different from me or anybody I know that I simply can't relate with them at all (with a few exceptions like the "Glass Man" or his assistant). Most of them are well acted (like the man who played the "Glass Man"'s assistant, the immigrant artist/fruit-stand worker; brilliant), but I also find myself not finding them very interesting or realistic, and the ones that I DO find interesting are not the main characters...
Lastly, the story still feels too "fake", a leftover from the director's previous films. It was fine in "City of Lost Children" and "Delicatessen", where I suspended my disbelief somewhat because they obviously took place in alternate universes to ours. "Amelie", however, is too close to the "real world" for me to make those same kind of allowances. It often seemed too "glossy" a picture of the real world to me (I know that this is what Jeunet was going for, but that doesn't mean I have to like it).
Having now displayed all of the reasons why I DIDN'T like it, you may be wandering why I'm still giving it 4 stars. :)
Basically, because despite all of the flaws, it was brilliantly filmed, suceeded often enough to keep it interesting, and left me feeling relatively satisfied at the end. Most of you will probably love it; if the premise sounds like something that you would like, then go ahead and give it a try. Personally, I wasn't sure that it was quite my type of film, and I turned out to be correct in that regard. If I had to rate it, I'd give it somewhere between 75-79/100.

1.0 out of 5 stars CATHOLICS PLEASE READ, Aug. 19 2002
This movie insults the Blessed Mother, in that it is stated one character, "hates the phrase; fruit of Thy womb." Anatomical drawings of the uterus, etc. are interspersed with Marian images. It's really pitiful the director felt the necessity to take a cheap stab at others' beliefs.

‹ Previous | 148 49 50 | Next ›

Amélie (Version française)
Amélie (Version française) by Audrey Tautou (DVD - 2002)
CDN$ 32.99