5.0 out of 5 stars She's THE ONE!, Dec 9 2003
Carlos Weigle (Toronto, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Another Day (Audio CD)
Of course nobody knows her in the States (why doesn't that surprise), where anything "non-American", especially Canadian is met with suspicion, to say the least. But know this: Molly is the one! She has an amazing voice, full of nuances, a real interpreter, not just a singer. And I had the joy of seeing her live...simply delightful...and so funny, made me laugh all the time. If you're looking for a very personal, talented jazz singer, who's brave enough to be different from the rest, go for Molly. She does not play safe and, boy, ain't that exciting!

5.0 out of 5 stars Miss Molly's Feeling Fine!, March 10 2003
J BUTTERFIELD "Jacqueline Butterfield" (Newark, New Jersey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Another Day (Audio CD)
I've been listening to Molly Johnson for 2 years now, and have just returned from Ontario Canada from her dynamic performance! I was very concerned about the future of female jazz vocalists, with as of late stylized elevator music supported by much hype being passed off as jazz; it has in my opinion no fervor. Miss Molly on the other hand has style, talent, and damn it you can feel her love and respect of the music known as jazz in her soul! The sound of her smoky, sexy voice makes me want to sip vermouth, make love and/or cry. Most times however I'm satisfied with just listening at home or driving to work, and wondering what she'll come up with next. Canada's Best Kept Secret, but not for long-not if I have my way! I imagine Billy, Miss Ella, Sarah, Carmen and Betty must be smiling down on Molly from Heaven. In addition the band is absolutely phenomenal!! I have both CD's: "Molly" and "Another Day" and love them both.

5.0 out of 5 stars very enjoyable music, June 13 2004
Stephen Kaczkowski (Calgary, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Another Day (Audio CD)
My wife and I listened to the album last night while talking and having drinks and we found the music to be wonderful for a quiet evening at home. We knew we enjoyed Molly's voice but we also enjoyed the music as well. I certainly recommend the album to anyone who is looking for an upbeat and enjoyable listen for a quietly fun evening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than both Norah and Diana, Nov. 10 2003
Leo F. Mckay (Nova Scotia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Another Day (Audio CD)
On "Another Day" Molly Johnson does what Norah Jones may someday be able to do and what Diana Krall can only wish for. Johnson gets her whole soul into each number so convincingly that even standards seem as though she wrote them herself. Like a great actress, Johnson not only sings the tunes, she performs them in the truest sense of that word.
She has a beautiful, fully mature voice, tremendous timing and phrasing, and her band... well...
Contemporary vocal jazz does not get better than this.

5.0 out of 5 stars blown away in the states, June 29 2003
Kenneth Frame "gatorjl" (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Another Day (Audio CD)
It's a pattern isn't it?...these Canadian artists showing us their purity and poetry--pointing out to US the way? Well all I can say is 'get ready to stand in line' because in this voice I think I hear the future of jazz vocalism. Not to deminish the success of Norah Jones (who I enjoy) but 'please'. If it weren't enough that you couldn't not love someone who'd record "Miss Celie's Blues (Sister) in the first place, then ponder her rendition of "Summertime" for all its originality or, better even, brace yourself for "Melody"--one of those moments where singer and songwriter meet with an intimacy that soars with inspiration. A CD that restores your faith that artistry is still out there rich and fertile and speaking to us--if we'll only listen.

4.0 out of 5 stars Smokey Smooth Jazz, March 16 2003
chynadoll30 (Salt Lake City, Utah) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Another Day (Audio CD)
I'd never heard of Molly Johnson before, until I was in Vancouver in August 2002, and happened to catch her latest release - Another Day. The lady can croon! The whole album is brilliant, the band is wonderful and its a great cd to put on when you want the feel of a jazz club in your living room. I've gotten so tired of pop music with too much happening in a song. This formula is basic with talented musicians and a great singer, putting it out there for your enjoyment. Sit back, close your eyes, relax and let the music envelop you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Molly Johnson is great!, March 3 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Another Day (Audio CD)
We just received this album and can't believe what a fine jazz and blues vocalist Molly is. She deserves to be right up there with Diana Krall, Norah Jones, et al.

5.0 out of 5 stars She's THE ONE!, Dec 9 2003
Carlos Weigle (Toronto, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Discover Molly Johnson, Aug. 3 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Another Day (Audio CD)
I had never heard of Molly Johnson until I was watching the dvd of Soul Food the tv show. I had to backtrack several times because I just loved the singer who was performing. I checked the soundtrack from the tv show and her song was not on it. I then checked several stores that I buy used cds from and could not find her cd anywhere. I just found it today at Best Buy and absolutley loved it. I hope to hear more from this artist in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars caught by track one, July 14 2003
omphaloskepsis "omphaloskepsis" (Washington, DC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Another Day (Audio CD)
i came upon this CD in the listening station at a large music store. having never even heard of molly johnson before i decided to give it a listen, and from the intro to track one, the title song 'another day,' i was hooked. there's such an easy groove found here - between blues and jazz and pop even - that just sounds irresistable.
imagine my surprise when i heard molly tackle 'miss celie's blues (sister)' - a song i haven't heard since last i saw 'the color purple' which must have been about a decade ago. and her completely refreshing take on gershwin's summertime made a smile break out on my face when i realised what song it was.
to all those music lovers who've been listening to her for years, you're lucky. to those not fortunate enough to have already discovered her, buy it ASAP. she's jazzy enough, soulful enough, and completely worth it.

Another Day
Another Day by Molly Johnson (Audio CD - 2002)