5.0 out of 5 stars When good dogs do bad things
Published on June 11 2004 by Naja

3.0 out of 5 stars Could Have Been Better
Dillinger Escape Plan is currently one of the most technical and experimental bands around, whereas Mike Patton is one of the best and most diverse vocalsists of all time. The mixing of the two should have been brilliant, but instead it was more or less luke warm. Following up an album like 'Calculating Infinity' was a hard enough task, but with Dimitri (vocals) gone, it...
Published on March 29 2003 by Twitch

4.0 out of 5 stars The Dillinger Escape Plan with Mike Patton, July 10 2004
Kendizzle (Shelbyville, KY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Irony Is A Dead Scene W/Mike (Audio CD)
Ok. It's the dillinger escape plan and mike patton so obviously this cd is great. What else is there to say. Just buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars When good dogs do bad things, June 11 2004
Naja (Slovenia, EU) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Irony Is A Dead Scene W/Mike (Audio CD)
My opinion.. this is best song i've heard in about a year now. I mean, this song is musicaly perfect it has so much emotions in it, so much elements, perfectly composed, extravagant vocals, powerfull, healthy and seek bouth. I have never felt so much about a song. This song offers new fellings for us and i think that everyone have to listen to it at least 10 times to hear everything it offers. I think that this combination - The Dillinger escape plan/Mike Patton is winning combination. And i, with all my heart, hope that they'll do something exellent together again. And about other songs on ep, i love them also, but this song made a big impression on me. Keep on good work!!
ps: sorry for my bad english :)

5.0 out of 5 stars What might have been, May 13 2004
This review is from: Irony Is A Dead Scene W/Mike (Audio CD)
Oh, if Mike Patton had only stuck with these guys and dropped Tomahawk. This is one hell of an ep. There are only four songs, three of which are originals, but those three tracks are so good, you won't feel cheated.
I saw Dillinger open up for Mr. Bungle on the "California" tour. It was a little too much to take in. I was so excited about seeing Bungle, and this band seemed intent on bashing my brains in. However, I was intrigued enough to buy the record "Calculating Infinity." I was a little wary of the title. Sounded like pretentious prog crap. But it had Trey Sruance's seal of approval so I bought it. I was impressed. The music was extremely complex rhythmically and harmonically, but there was method to the madness. The band basically sounded like an angry, psychopathic computer. They were doing things with polyrhytms that I had never heard before. It was so new and so genuine - so promising. However, there was the problem of the monotone screamer who added nothing and really distracted from the subtlety and dynamics (yes, there are dynamics in this music) of the compositions.
Along comes Mike Patton for this ep. Holy Jebus! This is such an improvement. Patton brings more than his vocal abilities to the group. It is easy to see that he has also brought focus and vision to DEP that was missing before. He had more than a little to do with the brilliance of the three songs on this recording.
I suppose that this music might be very abrasive to some listeners' ears. But if you like intelligent, aggressive, interesting music, you want to own this ep. As far as the "math/prog/death/grindcore/whatever the hell," (I hate using these silly terms to describe great music) this recording is simply superior to anything else out there. It's too bad they didn't make a full length album. Maybe this little recording will inspire some people to make more music of this calliber

5.0 out of 5 stars Chemistry, May 7 2004
S. Martin "Chris Johnston" (Los Gatos, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Irony Is A Dead Scene W/Mike (Audio CD)
Come on and get a clue. Mike Patton belongs with these guys. When Good Dogs Do Bad Things is one of the coolest songs I've ever heard. Hello? Does anyone listen to me? No of course not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just go buy it, April 8 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Irony Is A Dead Scene W/Mike (Audio CD)
I saw Dillinger Escape Plan open up for Mr. Bungle on Bungle's "California" tour. I must admit, I didn't get it. Not having heard the tunes before, it was just too much to take in. So I didn't really try. Later, I bought the record and was really amazed. But it still had the monotone screamer and it just turns me off. I have to block it out. Why not just put some white noise on a keyboard and press the same key over and over in a rhythmic fashion? But I remember thinking, "as far as this kind of music is concerned, this is really involved and intriguing. If only Mike Patton was their singer. They'd be like, the best band in the world."
Voila - Irony is a Dead Scene, some of the most inventive music I have heard in a long time. This stuff is the open-minded musician/music lover's wet dream. Chris Penny is one of the best drummers I have ever heard. And, even though they are complex beyond belief, the compositions are also balanced and unified. Gosh I wish these guys had stayed together and made at least one full length album. If you are a fan of Mike Patton, or just kick-ass REAL music, buy this record now!

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME, Jan. 28 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Irony Is A Dead Scene W/Mike (Audio CD)
ONE OF THE BEST VOCALISTS EVER TO WALK THE FACE OF THE EARTH! ABSOLUTELLY AMAZING! BEAUTIFUL! TO WHOEVER SAID IT WAS UNINSPIRED YOUR THE ONE WHO IS UN INSPIRED PICK ON SOMEONE ELSE YOU PIG VOMIT YOU WANNA TRASH TALK SOMEONE TRASH TALK ME COWARD HAHAAAAAAA.......... mr patton, keep it up genius.
Dave N.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wow...., Jan. 22 2004
This review is from: Irony Is A Dead Scene W/Mike (Audio CD)
The fact that Aphex Twin's 'Come to Daddy', one of the scariest songs ever recorded is covered here by guys playing live instruments---and their version is just as intense, if not more, than Richard James's, should be a sign that this ep is worth picking up for anyone who appreciates intense, angry, music.
But there are three other songs.
'When Good Dogs Go Bad' is my own personal favorite, with an intensity that matches Come to Daddy.
The other two songs are more chaotic, but still fascinating, and reward repeated listens....
if you're not familiar with the Dillinger Escape Plan, or don't know what Patton's been doing since Faith No More broke up, this is worth checking out--and if you do, you'll already know about, and likely appreciate this incredible collaboration...

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!!, Jan. 18 2004
This review is from: Irony Is A Dead Scene W/Mike (Audio CD)
Chaos-core has always been a, well, interesting genre. It's basically metalcore played very chaotically and with no strusture. Add some berzerk noises and there ya go. This is only an EP, but it's definately worth the money. Come to Daddy is my personal favorite track.

5.0 out of 5 stars never liked hardcore before this!, Dec 30 2003
Keith (Commerce, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Irony Is A Dead Scene W/Mike (Audio CD)
I've always hated hardcore music. Thought it all sounded the same, mindless screaming over wailing guitars was how I saw it. But that was until I heard this EP. I had heard the Dillinger Escape Plan before and couldn't stand it. The vocalist was awful, although I saw promise in the music which was absolutly insane. Throw in Mike Patton and BAM! You get a sound that could only rival the Mars Volta in terms of originality and mindblowing creativity. This album almost tortures you by only having 4 tracks, it keeps you starving for more. "Hollywood Squares" and "Pig Latin" just chew you up and spit you out. I can't even explain it.
If only Mike Patton was the full time vocalist for this group. This will likely be the only hardcore album I ever own, although after hearing this, I'm anxious to hear some Mr. Bungle.
If you're like me and hate hardcore music, check this album out and see the light. With a talented vocalist, it has promise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Y'all Ready For This?, Nov. 4 2003
This review is from: Irony Is A Dead Scene W/Mike (Audio CD)
There may only be four songs on this disc, but it's an intense four songs! That musical madman, Mike Patton joined forces with The Dillinger Escape Plan to make one of the heaviest cds I have ever heard. Patton should be the permanent vocalist for this group, no doubt about it. From the first second, this cd hits you square in the chops and doesn't let up. Before you know it, you'll be singing along with these toe-tapping ditties. But beware! This'll make you wanna run amuck and trash your own home. It'll make you wanna do that Steven Seagal-arm-snapping-thingee on the guys who remade the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. If you like it heavy and crazy, there's no reason you shouldn't get this, especially considering the price. Believe me, it's a steal at twice the price.

Irony Is A Dead Scene W/Mike
Irony Is A Dead Scene W/Mike by Dillinger Escape Plan (Audio CD - 2003)