Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Countdown to Black Friday in Home & Kitchen All-New Kindle Paperwhite Deal of the Day - The Beatles in Mono 14LP Vinyl Box Set SGG Home, Kitchen and Garden Gift Guide

Format: DVDChange

Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(4 star).Show all reviews
on December 2, 2002
This is a GREAT movie that could have been made only in Britain. As soon as it was over, I wanted to watch it again. Both Kim Stanley (who's American by the way, from New Mexico) and Richard Attenborough are magnificent. They were really into this movie. The DVD treatment isn't very good, though. There are many times when a couple of blips appear on the video part of the DVD and the sound is HORRIBLE. It's like they made no attempt to clean-up the sound. Watching it through a regular TV, even with stereo TV speakers, I had to turn it way up, and then it would be too loud (i.e., shrill) in parts. What a shame! No matter. At least they put it in wide-screen format. Hurray for that! If you're into good suspense movies, snap this one up (even if it is WAY OVER-priced).
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 2, 2003
This is a 5 star film across the board: terse screenplay, stunning performances, haunting John Barry score, wonderfully understated cinematography, but the transfer was terrible. The audio transfer is the worst. The television had to be turned way up and, as the other reviewer said, then certain parts would be very shrill and make the set vibrate. The little hairs and other things that appear when transferring old film negatives don't bother me as much as poor audio. I really wanted to hear commentary from anyone on this disc, I am also a big fan of subtitles (I don't know why). All that being said, I still have to give it 4 stars. This movie is just that good. I found myself literally on the edge of my seat at times, that's a very rare and wonderful thing.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse