5.0 out of 5 stars Fade away with Agalloch
I don't think any of the guys in Agalloch had any idea what kind of a masterpiece they were going to unleash. 9 Tracks long and spanning over an hour, "The Mantle", is a surreal tour de force. If anything, buy this album for track number two, "In The Shadow of our pale Companion". Simply put, one of the greatest songs ever. Haughm's emotional clean...
Published on June 6 2004 by ascrobius

3.0 out of 5 stars a gallery of influence
Current 93 meets Enslaved along with some Nature and Organization. I cant help but find the lyrical content not at all far from David Tibets own fervour. Along side the occasional riff similaritys from Nature and Organizations' "My Black Diary" is a really dynamic voicing. An untapped passion resides in this band we'll have yet to see. The influence of other bands is as...
Published on Aug. 5 2003 by FormerZygote

4.0 out of 5 stars It's no Opeth, March 25 2004
Voltaire "nonconformistx7" (The Great Pacific Northwest) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Mantle (Audio CD)
So here we have a pretty good folk-progressive-metal album. Or whatever genre you want to categorize it in. (But not doom metal, I wouldn't say it's doom metal at all, if you like doom metal check out Shape of Despair). I bought it because I'm a huge Opeth fan and I read some review on here saying it was a lot like it. It's not. The guitar playing is not nearly technical or complex enough to compare - but that's not to say it isn't worth getting. For the most part, this is a very relaxed album, and the singing that is done is thankfully free of that annoying nasal 80's metal-style voice that ruins so many good bands like this one. I'd say it's worth the buy.
Tracks that are noteworthy here are In The Shadow of Our Pale Companion (15 minutes) and ...And the Great Cold Death of the Earth (7 minutes).

5.0 out of 5 stars as gloomy as it gets..., March 27 2003
This review is from: The Mantle (Audio CD)
This is really hard to describe. simply magnificent music. and it uses some of early katatonia's minimalistic patterns, to a brilliant effect. agalloch's music doesnt resemble anything else, though and what you end up hearing on 'the mantle' is truely something unique, grand, and crushingly depressive, giving me a glimpse of the atmosphere of albums by black metal act Deinonychus (but containing none of Deinonychus' violence). this is a record that is guaranteed to wipe the smile off your face, and even make you sneeze. full of pessimism, loneliness, despair, longing and regret, it equals (track 8 even surpasses) Agalloch's previous releases. hey, are you still reading my review? get the damn album pal!

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I heard this earlier, Jan. 7 2003
This review is from: The Mantle (Audio CD)
This is one of the bands that hit me and I became a fan immediately. I like heavy stuff, but I also like melodic and soft guitar stuff also. Besides that, folk or medivel stuff are great, too. And guess what? Agalloch has it all. You can listen to their songs in different manners. You can listen to it when you go to sleep, relaxing, or listen to it like a death metal song (coz there are growing for the singing parts). One word to describe it: amazing! I enjoyed every bit of it even though my personal favorite on this album is "In The Shadow Of Our Pale Companion", 12 minutes of melodic, relaxing guitar and great vocals... really... can't beat that ;)

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a fantastic album, May 9 2004
This review is from: The Mantle (Audio CD)
This is a great listen and certainly would have warranted 5 stars except that every riff is straight from the first two Ulver albums. If you're going to be derivative I couldn't pick a better band to appropriate. They really make the sound their own and it's played with the same conviction and is a powerfully emotionally low album as all Agalloch's material is. It's really hard to believe that this is a relatively recent American band because it taps into that real early black metal feel. Remember when it was about ambience and not technique? This is an album for relaxing and listening to from beginning to end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Transcends bounderies, Oct. 1 2002
This review is from: The Mantle (Audio CD)
This album is truly unlike anything you are likely to experience in the extreme Metal scene. Agalloch forge the likes of Opeth with touches of Gothic darkness, blending in shades of sentimental acoustics and somber atmospherics. This band cannot be grouped into one category or the other; a credit to their innovative approach to dark music. Deep, absorbing and retrospective, this is one of the most successful fusions of alternating styles I have heard. Whether you appreciate the eclectic side of Metal or not, this is an album you simply must hear regardless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly. Different, May 24 2003
Jordan Y. Ewert (USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Mantle (Audio CD)
harmonic acoustic guitar, and a doom feeling is what makes this CD, well... brilliant. You probably havent heard anything like this before, This isnt a CD to play at a party or in front of all your friends. In my oppinnion, the best music is the music that grows on you, and This CD does that. Sit in your room by yourself and listen to it, The feeling that only a very few CD's can give you.
With a good mix of death and clean vocals. Continuous melodies, technical isnt what this CD is all about. Words can't describe it any further.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly. Different, May 24 2003
Jordan Y. Ewert (USA) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, March 8 2003
This review is from: The Mantle (Audio CD)
I can't find words to do justice to how much I enjoy listening to Agalloch. I'll just say that after my first week of listening to The Mantle, I went out and bought Agalloch's entire back catalog. If you like atmospheric music, the sound of guitars and vocals that set a certain dark mood, you can't go past this CD. You certainly do not have to be a 'metal' fan to enjoy this beautiful music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing guitar work, Nov. 3 2003
This review is from: The Mantle (Audio CD)
Im not a fan of this type of music, yet after I stumbled upon this CD I was drawn to it. What i found most attractive was the amazing guitar composition, it swoops and and soars, and the songs range from triumphent to tranquil. As far as the vocals go there is some growling, but one will definitly look past that small problem after they hear how amazing the rest of the CD is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, July 24 2003
This review is from: The Mantle (Audio CD)
Sure, they sound a lot like early Opeth but so what. It surely wasn't Agalloch's intention to reinvent the wheel but to keep it spinning. And unlike Opeth they know how to end a song.

The Mantle
The Mantle by Agalloch (Audio CD - 2005)