5.0 out of 5 stars Glad I discovered the re-issue
Published on April 19 2004 by Bryan Forrest

3.0 out of 5 stars Word from the band
Loved the LP, hated the CD, then found this quote from Roye Albrighton (lead guitarist), found on a Nektar tribute page <[...]
"This album was eventually mixed in quadraphonic stereo, because, many people of my age will now tell you, that was supposed to be the new thing.... But only 0.1% of the population knew what qaud sound was, and to top it all, three...
Published on Jan. 4 2001

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment Plus, May 6 2004
This review is from: Remember The Future (Audio CD)
I bought this album fairly recently[second handLP] simply because the cover and inside photo of the band looked Okay. Also because in the credits they thank the Man band for coming to Germany. I love Man, and was expecting something good. What I got was something that sounded like Crosby Stills Nash and Young's more mediocre songs gone wrong. There are a few bits where they do a Man impersonation, although not that well. Incidentally, there is a Man record entitled "Back into the future" which is real good.
Right, that was Side one, now to Side two..... coupla decent riffs, nice bit of vocal stuff for a few sec's towards the middle, wow that sounds familar. Another Man harmony.
I may sound a bit harsh about this album,it could have been a lot better with a bit less soft rock sound a là West Coast.
Also production sounds crap on the vinyl.
Hello- bit of Pink Floyd guitar towards the end, pretty good impersonation. Yeh, this album definitely goes on for a bit long in places, bit of a remix,make it a twenty minute song.
I've heard "A Tab in the Ocean"is the one to get.

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad I discovered the re-issue, April 19 2004
Bryan Forrest (Colchester, Vermont United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Remember The Future (Audio CD)
After hearing the LP in 1974 (a friend and I swiped his older sister's copy for a listen...) I knew these guys were special. Being only 12 yrs at the time - it took me 2 weeks to save enough $ to get my own copy! Back in the day when kids actually mowed lawns to get money...now I'm rambling. Anyhow I don't need to go into detail about my disappointment having bought a pre 2002 CD - it sucked!!! I browsed Amazon last week and noticed the re-issue (yeah!) Bought it and loving it... I've been listening to an mp3 version ripped from vinyl. I had to make do. It's now cost me over $60.00 to get the proper recording (2 Cd's) - That's a lot of lawns. Bellaphon should remove the improper recording that is still available for sale at Amazon and other retailers... That would be the proper thing to do!

2.0 out of 5 stars Muy poco para recordar, March 17 2004
"jaimeurrutia" (MIAMI, FLORIDA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Remember the Future (Audio CD)
¿Que es lo que hace a muchos no tolerar el rock progresivo? Larguísimas canciones que parecen no terminar nunca, poca variedad, supuesto virtuosismo que no va a ningún lado. Todo lo anterior combinado es signo claro de algo preocupante: incapacidad para hacer buena música. Por supuesto no todo el rock progresivo cae en la misma clasificación; ni siquiera toda la discografía de Nektar (por suerte) es igual a Remember the Future.
El disco consta de un solo largo tema dividido en dos partes llamado...Remember The Future. La primera parte es ligeramente superior, con algunos pasajes interesantes, sobre todo hacia el final cuando entra la guitarra y el ritmo se acelera, pero en general son casi 17 minutos progresivos sin mucha invención, con una instrumentación convencional y muy poco brillo.
La segunda y más extensa parte tiene un par de minutos vibrantes hacia la mitad, pero el resto es francamente para el olvido, sobre todo el final, en el que el grupo ataca con ritmos funk absolutamente fuera de contexto. Está bien no repetirse e intentar hacer algo diferente, pero ese no era el camino.
Respecto a la supuesta y legendariamente nefasta mezcla del disco, no puedo decir mucho, ya que no sé como suena en su versión original de vinilo, y a lo mejor perjudica bastante el sonido. Pero esto no es magia, y por mucha intervención negativa que se haya hecho, Remember seguirá siendo lo que es en cien años, con todas las remasterizaciones y mejoras por inventar.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant Album!!!, March 1 2004
This review is from: Remember The Future (Audio CD)
I fell in love with this album, and Nektar's Recycled back in the 70's. It is prog at it's absolute best. Check this out, I have read that this album will soon be coming out in SACD format!!! I haven't yet invested in SACD, but if and when that happens, I'll be one of the first in line to get it. It seems to me that DVD-Audio (which I did invest in) is dying a slow death; at least based on what's been released in that format so far, and what is planned for the future... My mistake...

2.0 out of 5 stars remaster on the way, May 22 2002
"ozcreeds" (Koolewong, NSW Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Remember the Future (Audio CD)
The original CD is flawed version of a great album and was apparently taken from the wrong tape. If you've heard the LP, you'll be greatly disappointed. The good news is a remastered CD, said to be faithful to the original record, is due for release by the band in June, 2002. My advice: wait for the reissue.

4.0 out of 5 stars Irresponsible mastering, April 14 2002
This review is from: Remember the Future (Audio CD)
The mastering to CD was done using the quadrophonic mix. (For those of you under the age of 40, quad was a brief fling with 4-speaker-surround-sound.) The engineer failed to realize this and only used two of the four channels. So huge swaths of Roye Albrighton's remarkable guitaristry sound like they are occuring in a room down the hall. Particularly tragic because this album has the most magical guitar arpeggios I've ever heard in rock music. Unbelievable that the engineer didn't even notice; unbelievable that this has been common knowledge for over half a decade and the label still hasn't been shamed into correcting it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Someone forgot the Guitar!, Feb. 9 2002
Rick (Murphysboro, Illinois United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Remember the Future (Audio CD)
I've heard this CD & wondered what happened to all the lead guitar parts? I'm very familiar with the original version of this album...one of my all-time favorites & the guitar is GONE!
I've checked one of the Nektar websites & the CD was remastered with the wrong tapes.
If you've never heard the original version, you'd never know the difference & is still very enjoyable, but for those of us who know it well, this is not an acceptable representation of a great album.

2.0 out of 5 stars Horrible Mix, Dec 9 2001
D. Cooper (Los Angeles,CA USA<P>valencia, ca. USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Remember the Future (Audio CD)
The same as previous reviews...great album-forget the quad mix. Wait for the remaster or get the american or english vinyl.

2.0 out of 5 stars Man, oh Man, April 17 2001
This review is from: Remember the Future (Audio CD)
Yeah, I used to lay around all day listening to this album in the 70s. In looking at it now (I still have the side but haven't got the courage to listen to it), I would say it probably bites. Can't say I've heard the CD, but I can say what a strange place this rock we're living on, is.

5.0 out of 5 stars levitating levity, March 27 2001
This review is from: Remember the Future (Audio CD)
For those of you who've never heard this album on vinyl, don't mind all the talk about the CD issue's poor sound. I've never heard the vinyl version (so I don't know any better) and the CD sounds great to me. The sound isn't muffled - it's quite bright - adding to the overall "uplifting/carefree" feeling of the music. "Uplifting/carefree" meaning... There isn't enough power behind this music (being lightly carefree) to propel one up; the "uplift" comes as it lets us know that we're up already.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Remember The Future
Remember The Future by Nektar (Audio CD - 2003)