5.0 out of 5 stars Maiden still Rocks!!
I said it once and I'll say it again. This DVD and the band itself are first class in every way. Way to go Maiden, may you rock for years to come.
Published on April 2 2003 by Sandman

2.0 out of 5 stars The worst edition I have ever seen!!
The worst thing that could happen for Iron Maiden was when its founder, its boss, the marvellous bass player and songwriter called Steve Harris decided to edit this DVD. I don't understand it.
Published on Nov. 25 2003 by Kael

4.0 out of 5 stars A Spectacle To Be Sure, Aug. 3 2013
This review is from: Iron Maiden - Rock In Rio: Live 2001 (2DVD) [Import] (DVD)
This DVD is not without it's flaws, the worst being the packaging. The cheap foam inserts holding the discs in place both came off during shipping resulting in heavy scuffing on both discs.Cheap,cheap,cheap! Luckily my player was able to view them with only a couple of brief hiccups. The audio/video quality is good, but not great. I've heard better audio mixes & watching 4:3 aspect ratio nowadays makes the video seem dated(shouldn't we have had 16:9 seeing as this show is 2001?). Of course the editing could be slowed down a lot, but it's not the worst I've seen.And the bonus disc is nothing to get excited about.
The 4 stars are earned by my favorite Maiden line-up, playing at their best, in front of a massive ,loving crowd. It's an event well worth watching.

5.0 out of 5 stars Maiden still Rocks!!, April 2 2003

2.0 out of 5 stars The worst edition I have ever seen!!, Nov. 25 2003
This review is from: Iron Maiden - Rock In Rio: Live 2001 (2DVD) [Import] (DVD)
Theoretically trying to "capture" the famous Maiden energy and vibe on stage, he opted for using a ultra-fast edition that will make your head spin, without paying any attention for who is soloing at the moment, if Nicko is at the middle of a great drums flourish, etc. All of the takes last, in their majority, less than one second and a half. The result was that you simply have no pleasure watching this MTV-styled DVD, thanks to its terrible edition.
Well, that's my opinion. Of course, the "UP THE IRONS" guys will love anything this deservedly great band release.

4.0 out of 5 stars Must have for Maiden fans, but...., May 18 2004
J. Schneider "john_jps" (Mosinee, WI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Iron Maiden - Rock In Rio: Live 2001 (2DVD) [Import] (DVD)
I fondly recall getting "Live After Death" double-live album back in the 80's and playing the heck out of it, in awe of what that live show must've been like. In much the same way, even if you have the occasional gripe here or there about this DVD, it's the whole experience: they're playing in front of some 250,00 raving lunatic Brazillian fans who sometimes sing it out nearly as loud as Bruce... I mean - egads, you GOTTA have it... I'm surprised it took ME this long to get it.
Now, now... despite being a "must have", it could have been better still... here's how: better editing: for most of the concert you just get a few seconds of this guy, a few seconds of another guy, a few seconds of the next guy after that, etc... really nothing much to it... it would be better to simply stick to what's important... while on guitar solo's, show the guy playing, in some detail... when Bruce is singing, show him... during the good drum crashes, gives us a shot of Nicko, etc... during long chug-chugging breaks, THAT is where you take the time to show the theatrics... and given that Maiden has TONS of chug-chugging intros and outros and bridges and what-not, you still have TONS of room for that stuff... so... this is a rather large gripe. (Aside: note for the most part, they DO adhere to what I suggest... it's just that they DO stray a bit to much... it gets to be a bit more segmented than I'd prefer).
Bonus disc... the personal stuff was... not much more interesting than the comments you can find on ironmaiden.com; don't get me wrong - I view this disc as a "free bonus", so anything goes, right... but still - there could've been at least a little more to it. The section on Bruce was cool... most others were rather dull... I mean, watching Adrian fish isn't that all that thrilling... and watching Steve watch a soccer match was lame... I mean he is THE MAN in Maiden, and we learn next to nothing there.
Don't take the gripes too seriously, though: almost anything can be better in one way or another. If you're a Maiden fan, this is up-close and personal, HUGE concert in front of a HUGE crowd... great songs, great playing... awesome. The only two "must have" live Maiden releases, to me, are the original "Live After Death"... and now this.

1.0 out of 5 stars Get out the tapes and do it over, June 21 2004
This review is from: Iron Maiden - Rock In Rio: Live 2001 (2DVD) [Import] (DVD)
Rock in Rio had all the ingredients to be a classic concert DVD, perhaps one of the best ever. There was 250,0000 loyal fans ready to sing along with every note. There was a behemoth stage and light show, a fantastic set list, and of course probably the most refined, polished and exciting hard rock/heavy metal band of all time. But this DVD fails when you thought failure was impossible. While the music is utterly fantastic, the editing, which apparently was done by band founder and bassist Steve Harris, destroyed the whole effort. No camera shot appears on screen for more than what seems to be 1/100th of a second. It is far easier to focus on the white lines on the highway while doing 120 MPH than it is to focus on what's happening during this concert. At first it leaves you wishing you could see more of a Janick Gers or Dave Murray solo; it then gets frustrating because it won't stop switching; and finally your eyes get so tired of trying to see something that you get a headache.
It is even more frustrating because while the DVD is playing, you know that something great is going on here but you just cannot enjoy it. The DVD is pretty much unwatchable. I agonized through it and will never watch it again. There is no doubt that Iron Maiden ought to pull out the tapes again and re-edit this concert. All the ingredients are there for a classic DVD to enjoy over and over again. Do it over and call it Rock In Rio Revised. If not, Rock in Rio will stand forever as a lost opportunity.

5.0 out of 5 stars IT'S IRON F&*%KIN MAIDEN!!!!, Oct. 9 2008
B. C. Whitcomb "WTF?!" (Mad Cow, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Iron Maiden - Rock In Rio: Live 2001 (2DVD) [Import] (DVD)
What could possibly go wrong? Iron Maiden -- reborn and reignited -- and 100,000 scream Brazilian fans turn in a raging concert. Some have told me the camera shot changes only prove the camera man has ADD. I say, "IT'S IRON F&^%KIN MAIDEN!! Quit complaining, girlee man. It's all here...Run to the Hills...The Number of the Beast...The Trooper...The Clansman...The Wickerman...The Evil That Men Do...there isn't a single bad song in the set. And the highly entertaining stage antics of the band make this a worthy addition to the library. AND THERE'S A GIANT EDDIE!!!!So quit complaining...or watch Pink Floyd at Earl's Court...Zzzzzzz....

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME CONCERT!!, Dec 11 2005
This review is from: Iron Maiden - Rock In Rio: Live 2001 (2DVD) [Import] (DVD)
DUDE MAIDEN KICKS ASS, THEY ALWAYS DID AND ALWAYS WILL, THIS CONCERT FEATURES THE ORIGINAL LINEUP AND JANICK GERS TOO, A TRIPLE GUITAR THREAT!!! ALSO THEY ARE THE BEST GUITARISTS IN THE WORLD, ALSO DICKINSON,HARRIS AND MCBRAIN ARE IN TOP FORM HERE AND THIS DVD REALLY SHOWS WHY IRON MAIDEN RULES!!! ALSO ONE THING, REALISE DONNINGTON 87',LIVE AFTER DEATH AND DONNINGTON 92' ON DVD!!!!!! THEY ARE THE MOST AWESOME CONCERTS EVER!!! TRUST ME, IF YOU DO THAT YOUR SALES WILL GO UP AND IT WILL KEEP MAIDEN FANS VERY HAPPY UNTIL THE GODS OF HEAVY METAL COME UP WITH A MAGINIFICENT MASTERPIECE ALBUM SOMETIME AROUND APRIL PROBABLY. ALSO DICKINSON IS THE BEST FRONTMAN OF ALL TIME!!! THEY SAY OZZY AND CRACK HEAD AXL ROSE ARE THE BEST, GOD THEY SUCK COS' THEY ARE SO PATHETIC THAT THEY HAVE TO BITE THE HEAD OFF BATS AND DIVE INTO THE AUDIENCE LIKE MANIACS JUST TO GET ATTENTION, IS THAT TREATING YOUR FANS GOOD!? HELL NO!! BRUCE IS THE BEST!! UP THE IRONS!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, Jan. 4 2005
This review is from: Iron Maiden - Rock In Rio: Live 2001 (2DVD) [Import] (DVD)
This is the greatest Iron Maiden concert DVD.It has plenty of classics like"Hallowed by thy name" and "ghost of the navigator".If you like Iron Maiden i suggest checking this out.

5.0 out of 5 stars I AM THE WICKER MAN!!!, May 1 2004
Andre (Sunshine Coast, QLD Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Iron Maiden - Rock In Rio: Live 2001 (2DVD) [Import] (DVD)
This show just goes off!!!!
And opening with "The Wicker Man" rocks!!! Such a good song, my band's learning it now to cover it!!!
There's a lot of "Brave New World" tracks on here, and although it's cool when bands play more oldschool stuff, I like these songs! I haven't heard the whole album, just the live ones but it sounds like it must be a good one.
The DTS mix is unreal!! It's so loud and clear, I haven't even tried the Dolby 5.1 mix!! "Sign of the Cross" makes my sub want to explode so that's cool hahaha
Watching Bruce use the stage is really good to see, he's a champ!! I hear he's a little uptight in person but I don't give a damn!!! Nicko's always cool to watch, even though the audiance must have barely seen him behind his huge cage of percussion! It's funny when he starts dancing behind the kit on "The Clansman."
Highlight songs to me are probably: The Wicker Man, The Trooper, Sign of the Cross, Dream of Mirrors, good ol' Hallowed, and I don't know...the rest of the show!
The only thing I didn't like about this DVD was the damn price!! Everywhere I see it it's about $AUS 50 - 60!! Too much man, too much. But damn it those Maiden boys are good!! I wish they'd bring their damn "Dance of Death" tour down under!! When the hell were they last here??? Oh well, I'll just have to keep watching "Rock In Rio" until they do!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best video concert I have ever seeeen!, April 27 2004
This review is from: Iron Maiden - Rock In Rio: Live 2001 (2DVD) [Import] (DVD)
I didn't buy this dvd right away. I don't know why. But I did buy it two days ago. I waited till 2 miniutes to midnight to watch it. Fiting, don't you think? Anyway, this concert was so massive, so crazy and so so so many crazy madien fans! I was just in awe of it. I loved hearing the massive roar from the crowd when madien took the stage. They way the sang along and jumped with the songs. They even moshed. I saw it. Even thought it was in the back. But, they caught it on film. I couldn't even imagine playing infront of that many people. I don't know how they did it. But they did and they did it the only way madien could do it. It was sick, sick, sick. I thought the sound and the camera work was outstanding. There was alot going on, but they captured it. This dvd deserves stars from here all the way to there! My only regret is I have yet to see them live in person. But, I will not give up!

Iron Maiden - Rock In Rio: Live 2001 (2DVD) [Import]