1,248 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good movie
I see it all the time from people who don't like Episode 1 and 2. But I then have to just laugh about how much they don't get what Star Wars is about.
First it's "It should be like Lord of the Rings!" Why? No wait don't answer that. Then it's it need to be made by Peter Jackson. Again why? Don't answer that. There is more but I will not put it here...
Published on June 7 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars The magic is gone
Published on July 8 2004 by David Bonesteel

2.0 out of 5 stars My Take on Mr. Lucas, July 16 2004
B. Parker "bcsparker" (oh) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Star Wars, Episode II: Attack of the Clones (Widescreen Edition) (DVD)
OK, here's my rant. I'll keep it brief (unlike some other reviewers)
Best Parts:
1. Phantom Menace - Pod Race, Darth Maul
2. Attack of the Clones - Yoda's lightsaber flight
That's it. Everything else in these films is an utter joke. I could go on for many paragraphs, but I'll spare you. You gotta realize that there was a reason George didn't direct Empire or Jedi. He's an awful director. He has no ear for dialogue. The newer digital film process looks really awful. Only good ol' George could manage to waste the talents of Christopher Lee, Sam Jackson, Ewan McGregor, and Natalie Portman. And I think Hayden Christensen is the only other actor who possesses Keanu Reeves' atrocious wooden technique. His Anakin doesn't possess darkness, just stupidity. I hope Lucas gets a tumor in that fat double chin of his. If you don't like it, sue me. He's destroyed the meaning of my childhood favorites, so the hell with him. Do you really think the next film is going to make up for it? Only if it's about four hours long and is directed by someone else.

4.0 out of 5 stars Star Wars is Star Wars-No matter what anyone thinks, July 13 2004
joseph mysliwy (cudahy, wisconsin USA) - See all my reviews
I am writing on behalf of all the Star Wars movies. Sure the prequals aren't life changing but they still make the cut worthy of the title Star Wars.Back in the 70s/early 80s America needed a major facelift. We had nothin to look foward to anymore and just went by living. The movies out back then were dark and dreary. our common mythology had faded into the closet. Then came Star Wars. It was just supposed to be another space family film that would eventually be forgotten about. We were decieved. What George Lucas put on this Earth was meant to be. He dragged us out of the gutter and gave us something to talk about. People had a place to escape to and run away from there troubles. It wasn't like your average cowboy movie where you know the outcome and the setting. It was a strange galaxy with weird looking creatures and strange spaceships. It was all so real and lifelike. It was the total opposite of Star Trek. It was cool. People wanted more. They got two more. Each delivering there own set of memories. The lines became legendary. The sound of a light saber instantly recognizable. Movies nowadays are always borrwing lines and plots of other movies. Star Wars only borrowed one thing. Creativity. The Star Wars story was pulled out of mid-air. It wasn't like George Lucas said he wanted to make a space movie kind of like an old western. He created the idea of A Space Saga Trilogy. He's the one who threw us into this exciting new world called Star Wars. Fans wanted more. They got comics and books. then Star Wars movies were no more. They were still in the movies. Oter movies had borrowed lines and plots for their own. Thats why Star Wars is pop culture ICON. That is what the prequals lack. When someone comes up yo you with a stick in one hand and is waving it around they don't say "Watch out Count Dooku". They say watch out Darth Vader. The prequals are good movies but they aren't life changing like the Classics. If the prequals came first people wouldn't be walking around saying Look A destroyer droid. They don't have the trademark line like they do in the Classics. They didn't create new famous lines, they just took them from the old ones. As a movie I would give Phantom Menace and AOTC a 4 Star award. As a Star Wars film I would give it 2. The negative two is for lack of creativity. The OT is so popular because of what it was nd what it was created as. George did'nt give us that sense of story and herics like he did with the OT. George didn't create the OT because he wanted to tell a story for himself. He made it for us. For Episode one we weren't thrown into this new world with weird craetures and memorable charecters. In a sense of story The prequals fit nicely with the OT. But for a regular movie It gives us nothing to remember and say over and over again and to instantly recognize as Star Wars. I know it is hard to repeat what happened in the 70s/80s but there was nothing George Lucas could do about it. The Prequals are out in a world where evereything has already happened and didn't ignite the flame as the OT did. The Phantom Menace just continued in the name of Star Wars. The OT are just such good movies in themselves and it just doesn't matter which one you see first. They are all memorable. Don't get me wrong, the prequals are good movies and definantly worthy in the name of Star Wars but they are just thrown in with all the other movies which were created around one movie-Star Wars. Other movies wouldn't be the same without there Star Wars moment. That is why when in the movie Just Married Sarah(Brittany Murphy) asks Tom(Ashton Kutcher) if he ever dreamed of anything more glorious in his childhood than his wedding night, he flashes back to when he was playing lightsabers on the playground with other kids to the famous tune that Changed The World. Da da da DAAAA daa-you know the rest!
"Remember, the Force will be with you, Always"

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing entry shows the weaknesses of Lucas, July 11 2004
T. Tiraterra "Fluffy" (Davis, CA) - See all my reviews
This is a debate I recently had with George Lucas. (This "debate" is partially inspired by the posts of other viewers, and I apologize if there's any plagiarizing. I just thought it would be funny)
GEORGE LUCAS: With my integration of CGI and completely computer-generated characters into my films, "Star Wars" is now the ultimate power in the universe!
LORD TAYLOR: Do not be so impressed with these technological marvels know as the "prequels" that you have created. The power to computer-generate an image and give a voice to it is insignificant compared with the power of human actors.
LUCAS: Spare me your empty talk of "human acting", Lord Taylor! Your sad devotion to that ancient method of filmmaking will not stop me from completely computer-generating my films, and making millions at the box office...
(LORD TAYLOR chokes him to death with the Force)
Getting serious now, it is the level of acting and dialogue in the prequels that is killing the magic of the "Star Wars" franchise. Lucas was never very good in these arenas, but he has somehow hit a new low in "Attack of the Clones". In some stretches, I found this movie to be something that I have never before seen in a "Star Wars" film- boring.
The main problem with "Attack of the Clones" is that it spends a huge amount of time on a love story that is far from captivating- in fact, it's not even interesting. The fact that a strong woman like Padme would fall in love with the whiny and unsympathetic Anakin Skywalker seems like an absurd idea from the beginning. I initially blamed the acting for the lack of believability in the love story, but now I realize that Christensen and Portman were doing the best they could. The problem was mainly the painful dialogue they had to mouth, which has all the absurd lines of the Han-Leia love story but none of the charm or passion.
Ewan McGregor was also doing the best he could considering the circumstances, and his storyline (a detective subplot) is slightly more interesting than the love story. One almost wishes that he had been given more screen time over Christensen and Portman, but it probably wouldn't have affected the film's quality much. The entire middle hour of this film is about the detective story and the love story, neither of which has much action at all. And for a supposed action film to have such long stretches of no or little action is to risk boring the audience, which is exactly what "Attack of the Clones" does.
As mentioned earlier, the level of CGI here is absurd, something not seen again on this level until the equally disappointing "Matrix Revolutions". Don't get me wrong, it's decent-looking CGI, but it still looks fake. It seems that every other character is computer-animated. It's amazing but true that the puppet Yoda from the previous "Star Wars" films looked more real than this CGI version. Even our old buddy Jar Jar Binks returns. His role in this one? To grant emergency powers to Palpatine, thus making his rise to emperor inevitable and dooming the Republic. Way to go, Jar Jar!
This film was not without its perks. As mentioned before, Ewan McGregor possesses a certain charm that help to keep his scenes alive. The action at the beginning and end of the film is pretty good, and everything especially comes alive when the reliable Christopher Lee appears. Indeed, the film's final half hour is as impressive as some classic scenes from the original "Star Wars" trilogy.
However, I worry that the thrill is leaving the franchise. I sincerely hope that Episode III repairs the damage done by I and II, but considering the history of third entries my hopes are not too high for it. Lucas claims he can do whatever he want with "Star Wars" because it's his franchise, but I wish he would let go of that ego for a second and let other writers and directors step in and help him. Because when that happens, you get "The Empire Strikes Back"- still one of my all-time favorite films.

3.0 out of 5 stars The magic is gone, July 8 2004
David Bonesteel (Fresno, CA United States) - See all my reviews
It goes without saying that an installment of the Star Wars series will have superlative effects, and that's why I give it as many stars as I do. It's effective eye candy, although I think director-writer George Lucas may have reached the point of diminishing returns. The whole film has a very artificial, superficial look to it and the actors are like zombies. No doubt spending their days in front of green screens and blue screens and fretting about maintaining proper eye contact with CGI creatures that wouldn't be finished for another seven months put some constraints on their spontaneity. As for the story, there's a lot of political intrigue that I didn't care about and a romance that didn't convince me. Wasn't anyone else bothered by the fact that Anakin Skywalker's (Hayden Christensen) aging process appeared to have overtaken Queen Amidala's (Natalie Portman)? Wasn't he seven or eight in the last film, while she was about nineteen? Now they seem to be the same age.
Not a horrible film, but certainly not worthy of being part of such a high-grossing franchise.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pathetic., July 7 2004
If it were possible to give negative stars, I would. I sat for nearly five minutes at the end of the film, watching the credits, waiting for George Lucas to pop up say it was a bad joke, and then the real movie would start. It didn't happen. George was obviously trying to prove that he can make a piece of crap film, and still make millions because it has the magical words "Star Wars" slapped on its title. That can be the only logical explanation for a film this bad. Now, where to begin?
The main points of irritation: the casting, and the acting. The first films each actor was perfect for his or her role. No other person alive could have played Luke's part other than Mark Hamil, or Leia than Carrie Fisher, etc. In AOTC, they went for good looks, not portrayal, or acting ability. Speaking of acting ability, where in the nine hells did they dig up Hayden Christensen? The boy can't act, and he seemed to drain away the entire cast's ability to do so. Even Ewan McGregor, one of my all time favorite actors, was at his artistic low. His performance was forced and tired sounding due to poor characterization and bad lines. Your local library has some B-rated classic Sci-Fi with a lower budget, but the same acting ability.
But, I suppose that's being unfair, you can only work with what you're given, and script-wise, the actors were not given a lot. The lines were reminiscent of bad 80's anime. E.g., Obi-Wan seems to have lost the ability to say Anakin's name and can only refer to him as "My (Young) Apprentice". The attempts at humor were poor to say the least. Instead of employing the typical Star Wars humor gods of irony and sarcasm, they went for the puns. And lordie above, did the puns burn. News flash, any writers out there: No one, not even small children, find puns even remotely funny. And instead of subtle foreshadowing, they went for the blatant. Such as Obi-Wan informing Anakin, "You'll be the death of me". In short, my 10 year old cousin could have written a better script for Episode II.
They simply went overboard with the special effects. Plain and simple. Now, some may say it was to make everything more lifelike, but the result was a world more fake looking than a lego-set. Everything had a ridiculous, plastic sheen to it. The non-human's(including Yoda's) movement were too fluid, too calculated to be real. They really should have just stuck with the muppets.
The film even managed to throw consistency with the real trilogy off-kilter. Mainly, in the technology. Now a question: If the prequels take place over 20 years before the original trilogy, how come the technology is more advanced in the prequels? Then, isn't that the way it always goes when an empire takes over. The economy slides, and everything returns to the 70's(Especially the haircuts). Right? Wrong.
All in all, this film is a huge dissapointment. I was raised on Star Wars, the original trilogy and the Extended Universe books, and this movie crushed my belief in George Lucas's qualifications as a director. My recomendation: Watch episodes IV-VI over and over to brace yourselves for Episode III.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Definate Improvement from Episode I., June 29 2004
By A Customer
Many of the criticisms from the first movie are put to rest with this installment. The substance that was lacking in the first movie is more expanded upon in this film, as more depth is added to the plot and the characters. The acting is not quite as good as the original trilogy, but is strides ahead of the first movie. Ewan McGregor's performance, I would say was on par with the later episodes and Hayden Christiansen's acting as Anakin is quite convincing. The only criticisms are the cheesy love dialoque with Padme that just comes across as laughable, rather than heartfelt and genuine. Although some of the acting is like the first movie in its comic bookish simplicity, most conversations between the characters in this movie are more soulful and less plastic- a definate relief. The effects are, of course, spectacular, although there are parts that look too cartoonish and do not fit in the appearance of the original trilogy. Some of the clonetroopers would have been better if they were not CG. The CG capabilities have definately gone to Lucas' head. I think some scenes, like C-3PO in the droid factory were completely overdone and may have been better left out. Nevertheless, the film has some great references to the sequels and sets up the story to be more cohesive with the originals, along with having more of a feeling and sense of the originals. It feels like the movies are definately shaping up to being in the same design vein as A New Hope and beyond. Despite the criticisms above, this movie is definately better than the last one and notable step in the right direction. Let's hope that Episode III continues in this positive direction.....

2.0 out of 5 stars Attack of the Clowns would have been better, June 19 2004
Only better than the Episode I beccuase you couldn't dig lower. I was quite disappointed but mainly uninterested. I don't hate the movie. I just don't care enough about it to feel anything about it.
I was hoping for a more-developed anakin character or any character for that matter.
The ending battle scene was long, drawn-out and flat. A whole lot of lazer beams, light sabers, robots, clones, Jedi, space ships and I just didn't care because it was filmed so poorly that it failed to keep me interested. Also very few good guys could be seen getting hurt so there wasn't a feeling of suspense or sympathy.
In contrast is the similar battle scene layout of Two Towers. Both movies have epic battle scenes at the end. They start with a small number of doomed heroes who get temporarily saved by outnumbered allies: the elves in T.T. and the Jedis in Clones. Also the moment of the ride down the rampart is similar to the Jedis arrival as its a momentarily victory but one that is doomed because the enemy is still strong. Then comes the Cavlary in the form of clones in Clones and Gandalf with 3,000 riders in Towers. The enemy is finally defeated and the battle ends.
With Towers I actually felt something for the story and characters because of the filming, scripting, and character development that went in to it. The ride of Gandalf and the riders down the hillside into the Uruks as the sun came up behind them was stirring. I don't even remember Yoda's arrival.
I think there is a valuable lesson for filmmakers to learn on how to do huge battle scenes and how not to do them by watching the end of these two films.

2.0 out of 5 stars B-movie title.... B movie acting... Fantastic effects...., June 15 2004
The expectation for this film was incredible. And I loved it the first time I saw it... but that was high on excitement and I was with a dozen friends. Then I saw it again. And oh, MY, it's a bad film!!
The Yoda fight scene DID rock, tho, yes, it did. (The only awesome part of the movie!)
The script is bad, and we are left, again, wondering what this whole thing is about. I was so confused at the end of the first movie as to WHY there was all these battles, and what did it really matter in the end? Well, it doesn't really matter. That's what this movie showed us. These two films are totally disconnected in plot, except the personal strain going through them. (Maybe 3 will answer questions and loose ends, but I doubt it.) The acting was weak, and Anakin was more concerned with getting his way with Padme, rather than seeming genuinely in love with her. I realise that these two felt a passionate, carefree love in comparison with the more mature Han/Leia love, but the downright lust and danger of Anakin was annoying and disturbing. She wouldn't have gone for him. Her acting wasn't any better. And who wrote those lines for her? Talk about cheese!
With a weak script and bad young actors (except, of course, Chris Lee and Frank Oz, and Ian McDiarmid) Lucas has succeeded in showing the world that movies cannot ride on CGI and fame of a name alone. Well, he'd like to think so, wouldn't he?
None of the spark and substance of the original, though we're closer to it than the first movie.

1.0 out of 5 stars Foooooooolllllllllls!, June 8 2004
How could I have ever admired the Star Wars franchize? What did George Lucas see in me as a fan? People who watch the Star Wars films, play Star Wars video games, read Star Wars books, dwell in their parent's basements, and wield toy things which they call Lightsabers are blind to reality. They cover their eyes with their own ignorance and arrogance, and they are too brain dead to understand the concept of life. If that's not strong enough of a conviction, then what is?
The love story in this movie is for weaklings who have no concept on how reality is. This movie deserves to be destroyed along with every Star Wars film, book, video game, and toy. I have seen the errors of my ways, because all the five star reviews I have written about this movie were brain dead, and, I was a lovesick weakling who was ignorant. George Lucas needs to be taken out back and beaten until his heart stops. It's time to put an end to this Star Wars trash, and rid our planet of this scurge once and for all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good movie, June 7 2004
By A Customer
This is a very good movie. Those who don't get the story well they just don't get Star Wars. It's all really easy to understand what is going on and why. That is if you watched the movie. If not well that is your problem.
This movie has deep characters, and a deep story. Far deeper then anything else that is out there. It has history that has never been in any movie before or after. Sorry but The Martix did not have history. Unless you think that the cartoons they had are history. Fun thing people say GL is a sell out. Well the people who made The Matrix want you to by all there crap just to understand the movie. :|

Star Wars, Episode II: Attack of the Clones (Widescreen Edition)
CDN$ 37.52