5.0 out of 5 stars The controversy that I ' ve found about the album
I've saw several people that dont like this album , but to me is the best album I had ever bought! I like almost all the songs of it .
Published on Aug. 13 2003 by milton cedeño

3.0 out of 5 stars These guys were influenced by some other elements this time!
Published on Feb. 14 2003 by Arish

5.0 out of 5 stars The controversy that I ' ve found about the album, Aug. 13 2003
milton cedeño (Colombia south america) - See all my reviews
As several people don't like it. I wrote this to prevent they prevent you to enjoy this beautiful album , it deserves you give it a try. when I bought it, I wasn't fun of 'the cranberries' and now I am. They were very good before and now they are better !.
Now I'll tell you a bit of the album .
The first time I knew about it was watching the tv of spain , there was Dolores ( cranberries'vocal ) performing the track "time is ticking out" a song which you cant not leave behind ,it is well done, as I really like it I got the cd . I found the first track "never grow old" very nice it scares a little cause its lyrics and music so beautiful you dont want a good time in your life to pass; and the song "This is the day" it is so striking it take you up from whatever it set you into other dimension , the video fits it perfectly .
Another beautiful track is "I really hope " that bring to my mind when you are so in love that you forget all the time the space ; is the most happy song of the album . The tracks "the concept" and "wake up and smells the coffee" are also very good ,in fact ,all are very good , the only one I dont like is 'analyse' which was promotional.
The style of this album is some gothic, some sad, some strange ,its songs are melodic ,has not compicated lyrics , has honest words.
It is a very good album believe me. If you take it you won't regret, There is only one serious risk with it and it is to became fun of cranberries !.

3.0 out of 5 stars These guys were influenced by some other elements this time!, Feb. 14 2003
Arish "A+" (On ThIs PlaNet) - See all my reviews
I really can't take anything away from this band. This is got to be one of the tightest bands in rock right now. The guitar work is so clear and piercing to the ears. It sometimes comes across like a keyboard sound the guitarist is so clever. I don't know what tactics this guys uses or what his inspiraton is, but I love it. He often comes across to me like a Prince pupil or something. I mean the clarity of the riffs and the effects are beautiful! This band has always had some tight grooves and bumpin' beats. this album isn't the best I'll admit. But somewhat I am abit easier on this project because of the few jewel's on there. "Never Grow Old" is just simply a masterpiece! I don't care about the simple lyrics the arrangement and the guitar work is just simply gorgeous! I have never heard a rock artist convey such a beautiful sound like that since "Swandives -"Nutopian Days" and Mazzy Star's- "Fade into you!" "Never grow Old" could go on a compilation with some of my Trip Hop songs I love so much. "Analyse" is a transgression from there earlier material more electronic with a haunting piano riff (more Trip Hop Sounding). "Wake up and Smell the Coffee" is experimental at the beginning and comes in with a hard ..A*$ rocking groove! These guys are still capable of anything I believe. Everyone makes a not so great album sooner or later. At least it took them 4 lps later to do it. Some people fall off on number 2 or 3, ya know? But at least these guys still have the soul and the tight grooves. I just think this band took a break and said lets just cruise this time. If you asked my opinion, I think these guys have been listening to alot of european Trip Hop electronica. Some of the slow interludes and experimentation, sounds alot like that type of material. This isn't a horrible effort, but you would expect more from such a great band. I Believe they have been listening to Swandive. Which is a Trip Hop/ Rock Band from Switzerland(Not the same cheesy Swandive from U.S.) Swandive sounds very similiar to Cranberries the only difference they fuse electronics with rock and are considered a trip hop/rock band. But the lead singer has a very similiar vocal style and the guitar riffs are just as tight. This band has only two lps "Swandive" and "On the Air" and they are very rare. For those that like "Never grow Old" look for songs "Nutopian Days" and "The Game" by Swandive...Trust Me!

3.0 out of 5 stars "Never Grow Old is the Jam!", Feb. 14 2003
Arish "A+" (On ThIs PlaNet) - See all my reviews
I really can't take anything away from this band. This is got to be one of the tightest bands in rock right now. The guitar work is so clear and piercing to the ears. It sometimes comes across like a keyboard sound the guitarist is so clever. I don't know what tactics this guys uses or what his inspiraton is, but I love it. He often comes across to me like a Prince pupil or something. I mean the clarity of the riffs and the effects are beautiful! This band has always had some tight grooves and bumpin' beats. this album isn't the best I'll admit. But somewhat I am abit easier on this project because of the few jews on there. "Never Grow Old" is just simply a masterpiece! I don't care about the simple lyrics the arrangement and the guitar work is just simply gorgeous! I have never heard a rock artist convey such a beautiful sound like that since "Swandives -"Nutopian Days" and Mazzy Star's- "Fade into you!" "Never grow Old" could go on a compilation with some of my Trip Hop songs I love so much. "Analyse" is a transgression from there earlier material more electronic with a haunting piano riff. "Wake up and Smell the Coffee" is experimental at the beginning and comes in with a hard ..A*$ rocking groove! These guys are still capable of anything I believe. Everyone makes a not so great album sooner or later. At least it took them 4 lps later to do it. Some people fall off on number 2 or 3, ya know? But at least these guys still have the soul and the tight grooves. I just think this band took a break and said lets just cruise this time. If you asked my opinion, I think these guys have been listening to alot of european Trip Hop electronica. Some of the slow interludes and experimentation, sounds alot like that type of material. This isn't a horrible effort, but you would expect more from such a great band. I Believe they have been listening to Swandive. Which is a Trip Hop/ Rock Band from Switzerland. (Not the same Swandive from U.S.) This band has only two lps "Swandive" and "On the Air" and they are very rare. For those that like "Never grow Old" look for a song called "Nutopian Days" by Swandive...Trust Me!

3.0 out of 5 stars "Never Grow Old is the Jam!", Feb. 14 2003
Arish "A+" (On ThIs PlaNet) - See all my reviews
I really can't take anything away from this band. This is got to be one of the tightest bands in rock right now. The guitar work is so clear and piercing to the ears. It sometimes comes across like a keyboard sound the guitarist is so clever. I don't know what tactics this guys uses or what his inspiraton is, but I love it. He often comes across to me like a Prince pupil or something. I mean the clarity of the riffs and the effects are beautiful! This band has always had some tight grooves and bumpin' beats. this album isn't the best I'll admit. But somewhat I am abit easier on this project because of the few jews on there. "Never Grow Old" is just simply a masterpiece! I don't care about the simple lyrics the arrangement and the guitar work is just simply gorgeous! I have never heard a rock artist convey such a beautiful sound like that since "Mazzy Star's- Fade into you! "Never grow Old" could go on a compilation with some of my Trip Hop songs I love so much. "Analyse" is a transgression from there earlier material more electronic with a haunting piano riff. "Wake up and Smell the Coffee" is experimental at the beginning and comes in with a hard ..A*$ rocking groove! These guys are still capable of anything I believe. Everyone makes a not so great album sooner or later. At least it took them 4 lps later to do it. Some people fall off on number 2 or 3, ya know? But at least these guys still have the soul and the tight grooves. I just think this band took a break and said lets just cruise this time. This isn't a horrible effort, but you would expect more from such a great band.

3.0 out of 5 stars hmmmmm......, June 19 2002
I have nothing against the optimism that O'Riordon constantly displays, in this album, and in Bury The Hatchet. It's just that when she tries to write an optimistic song, it becomes sort of...well...shallow. The music is pretty good on this album, granted, it's not as good as the first 3 albums, but it's good. I'm more of a fan of their louder, rocking songs instead of their slower, sway side-to-side songs, and this album doesn't have too many of those rocking songs. It's the easiest to listen to out of the other albums and won't give you a headache, but i seriously wish she'd spent more time on the lyrics, and even the music, and...everything! If you want one of their quieter albums, with more talent from O'Riordon (younger voice, but still more talent) check out their first album, Everybody Else Is Doing It So Why Can't We? And by the way, if you listen to the album and don't like the songs, THEY ARE MUCH BETTER PERFORMED LIVE. I just hope their next album (if there is a new one, if it's not a greatest hits album or whatever) has more of their loud, rocking tunes, and if it doesn't, i hope it takes after their 1st album then this one. It's a good buy for a Cranberries fan though.

2.0 out of 5 stars Goodbye Cranberries., April 9 2002
P. Shamdasani (Hong Kong) - See all my reviews
Why the Cranberries changed direction from a hard rock band into poppy sentimental tunes during their Bury The Hatchet days, we'll never know. But one thing's for sure - it has seriously deteriorated their quality of music. Ever since their hit album To The Faithful Departed came out over four years ago, their sell-out stance has transformed their songs from the hard-as-nails attitude they had in No Need To Argue into these gospel-inspired 'what's the meaning of life?' type of tracks. Their fourth album Wake Up And Smell The Coffee starts off promising in "Never Grow Old" with an acoustic guitar-opening riff from Noel Hogan, but is burdened by some extremely conventional lyrics that hears lead singer Dolores O'Riordan droning on about her dreams with hums and incomprehensible sounds where she obviously couldn't think of the words. It's followed by the hit single "Analyse" which again opens well, Fergal Lawler playing some enjoyably Iggy Pop-esque drums, but the actual song itself being too psychedelically normal for most tastes with the band sounding like they want to execute tunes from The Velvet Underground and Nico. But not every song on the album is as bad as the opening two - title track "Wake Up And Smell The Coffee", although burdened by a slow beginning, kicks in after a minute into a song that sounds like a tribute to their previous recordings, with lyrics like "Wake Up/Wake Up/Shut Up/Shut Up/It's Time To Smell The Coffee". The CD also includes two bonus tracks; an up-tempo exceptionally rocking live recording of "Salvation", and the monotonously boring "In The Ghetto" - two songs that describe what the whole album is like: some feel like a jolt to the brain, and others putting it to sleep.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wake Up And Smell The Coffee ~ The Cranberries, March 7 2002
Thijs (Groesbeek, Gelderland Netherlands) - See all my reviews
The fifth album from the Cranberries, Wake Up And Smell The Coffee is a exellent follow-up to Bury The Hatchet. That album was a good one, but lacked the real Cranberries sound. On this album, they go back to their more original sound and have produced on of their best albums yet. There are some great rockers like This Is The Day and the titletrack. If you like Dreams, you will absolutely love Analyse, one of the best tracks they have ever made. There are also some lovely quiet songs, like Never Grow Old, Dying Inside and Chocolate Brown. Dolores' voice gets better with every new album, and she really has one of the most distinct voices in today's music bis. I have the European version with the bonus tracks: Salvation Live and In The Ghetto. The live version of Salvation makes me wild to see them on the 29th of march in Amsterdam, I can't wait for that day! In The Ghetto is a lovely version of that well-known song. Lots of emotion in Dolores's voice.
This is after No Need To Argue (a truly magical album) their best album so far in my opinion, and I reccommend this album highly!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wake Up and Smell the Coffee, Jaan Uhelszki!!!, March 4 2002
... While most fans of the Cranberries will tell you that they like the band for their unique rock sound and crystalline vocals, Dolores O'Riordan's lyrics are indeed some of the most refreshingly sublime lines around today. Listen to them closely and you will discover that they are simply human, approachable verses that reflect a close examination of life itself.
In addition to O'Riordan's lyrics, listeners will find that all four members of the band have grown in maturity and musical range. After a bit of a break since "Bury the Hatchet," in which Dolores and bandmate Noel Hogan welcomed new children into their separate families, the band returns with a renewed, optimistic approach to the album. You won't find anything as intense as "Zombie" here (WUASTC comes closest), but the disc does provide an assortment of the styles that Cran fans have come to love.
If you like the band's lighter songs, like "Dreams," and "Linger," you'll like the new songs, "Analyze," and "Every Morning" (not to be confused w/ the Sugar Ray song), among others. If you like their harder stuff, like "Zombie," and "Salvation," you'll find some new anthemic rockers, like "WUASTC," and "This is the Day." And I don't know anybody who wouldn't like the U.S. bonus track, the upbeat, exotic "Cape Town."
Listening to the Cranberries is the musical equivalent of standing under a cool, clear waterfall in a lush Irish forest - Refreshing! Don't Analyze, just let the music wash over you.

3.0 out of 5 stars It has it's moments, Dec 16 2001
I've been a staunch Cranberries fan since Day 1(Delores O'Riordan puts on a fabulous live show, by the by). After the bizarre and somewhat disappointing "To the Faithful Departed" (an album where O'Riordan seemed to be exorcising some demons), "Wake Up and Smell the Coffee" is a happier departure from the overall angry theme of it's predecessor. You can certainly hear a strong early Cranberries influence on these tracks; unfortunately, I find myself making liberal use of the next track button. The question is not whether or not they've "sold out" on their sound or branched out into a new one; the crux is whether or not the tracks can hold your interest. With the exception of "Never Grow Old", "I Really Hope" and "Do You Know", I can't seem to sit through an entire track. However, O'Riordan still remains one of my all-time favorite vocalists (her voice has a soft, unique edginess to it), and I still throw this CD in just to hear her.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good CD, Something Missing..., Nov. 30 2001
I've been wanting to write a review on this CD ever since it was released. I knew that if I were to write a review right away that my review would be biased. I wouldn't have given enough time for the art to settle and I would of given a higher rating or a better review than I should have.
Anyway...
The Cranberries find themselves once again with their old friend Steven Street. Steven Street produced The Cranberries first two beautiful albums, "Everyone Else is Doing it so Why Can't We?" and "No Need To Argue". On this album like all of their albums the music is crisp and clear. The songs are never drowned out by overdubbed guitars or miscellaneous sounds. Dolores O'Riordan's Vocals are as prestine as ever. What I like about her vocals is that it gets stronger on every album. She sings with clarity and her guys back her up with their music.
On the opening track, "Never Grow Old" her breathy vocals floats and touches you in the most perfect ways...
On "Dying Inside" her clear vocals expresses the meaning of the song in the most powerful way. Her change of pitch in this song is done in a way that runs smoothes and is nothing short of breathtaking.
On the fast pace "I Really Hope" Dolores has to use different vocal muscles to sing the song. She again does this with no problem. Beautiful...
On the Played and Record Live "Chocolate Brown" Dolores's vocals recorded on one mic reminds me of Sinead O'Connor. Beautiful Song.
On the American version bonus track "Cape Town". The main and backup vocals are amazing and VERY fun to sing to.
The Guitars are vibrant. Throughout the album, Noel Hogan's soft picks at the guitar really adds character to the songs.
On the opening Track "Never Grow Old" his soft lullable like picks at the guitar help make the song float.
On "This is the Day" his heavy guitar helps make this song one of the best Rock songs by the Cranberries to date. His artistic influence in the middle of the song definitely help take the Cranberries to a different level.
On the do whop 60's feel "Every Morning", again soft picks at the guitar help set the mood. Exquisite...
Even on the cover song "In the Ghetto"(not available on the North American Version) the guitars are simple yet beautiful. I get great joy just by listening to the guitar.
The upbeat older song "Do You Know" has acoustic guitars as their older songs. Refreshing...
When this album came out I went back and listened to their old albums. Mike Hogan the bassist has always been in the background. He seems to be always at the back burner... On each new album, the bass guitar seems to be more and more noticable.
On the title track, that opening guitar riffs that merge into the beatings of the drums JUST WOULDN'T BE the same without the clever use of the bass.
The soft "Carry On" the melody is carried by the soft touch of Mike's Bass.
The political "Time is Ticking Out" the ska influence skip of a beat is transformed by the different sounds that Mike picks out. Every major change is made by the bass. Great song. The Club Remix of the song is pretty good as well.
And Fergal Lawler who adds percussion to the whole mix. His influence on the songs have always been noticable. He has always had great ideas ad again on WUASTC he proves himself again.
The poppy "The Concept" he uses a drum loop. It says that the Cranberries are still in the game. They know that the influence on today's music is pop stars. But, don't get me wrong. This song by far is better than any pop song on the radio.
On the first single "Analyse" the song begin with Fergal showing off this talent on the drums. This "Dreams" like song has similar percussion as their first single "Dreams".
On "Pretty Eyes" the snare drum used by fergal is one of the main focuses of the song. Far from distracting. Only Improvising.
All and all, the Cranberries music have always been good and on this album they prove to be great at what they do. But, from listening to their older albums, the first three. I notice one thing missing... The Irish/Celtic Influence in their music that made us fall in love with them in the first place. It is absent in "Bury The Hatchet" as well as on this album. It's Unfortunate. Though the music is good, the lack of their roots make them sound like just a Rock band. And though Dolores' vocal are as strong as ever and she does different things with her voice as in softer, breathier, etc, her back up vocals on this album fails to impress me. I miss the beautiful back up vocals she had on the first and third album. On this album some songs have beautiful back up vocals but nothing new. I hope that on the next Cranberries Album, they will somehow find a way to return to their roots. If not, I will still buy their albums and enjoy them as I always have. Great job on your fifth effort!

Wake Up & Smell the Coffee
Wake Up & Smell the Coffee by Cranberries (Audio CD - 2002)