5.0 out of 5 stars TAKES YOU PLACES
Published on April 30 2005 by Nasud

3.0 out of 5 stars too much fun with reverb
I got this CD after hearing the guy DJ live. The show was amazing, smoothly mixing drum'n'bass with hip-hop beats. But the advantage Mr. Tobin had there was that he was using other people's music.
On "Out From Out Where" one track blends into the next, not just in terms of being mixed together but also in the mental impression it leaves. Most of the...
Published on April 18 2003 by Andrew F.

5.0 out of 5 stars TAKES YOU PLACES, April 30 2005
Nasud (Southern Ontario) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Out From Out Where (Audio CD)
This CD really takes you places, starting with 'Back From Space'. This is my favourite track. The name suits it pretty well. Verbal is a nice tune. It doens't really fit in that well with the rest of the CD, but that isn't at all a bad thing. The song is great. The entire CD is excellent. The only song I found a little hard to like was Triple Science. It was a little too congested for me. I'll give it some more listens though, maybe that will help. I say if you like ambient/d n' b, you've got to pick this up. If you like this, The splinter Cell Soundtrack by Amon Tobin is another great album. You don't even have to like the game. Trust me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible wall of sound, June 24 2004
This review is from: Out From Out Where (Audio CD)
Brazilian-born beatmeister Amon Tobin is untouchable when it comes to conjuring up a massive wall of sound from a sampler and turntables. Every piece of sound is meticulously chosen and placed to create a symphony.
"Out From Out Where" represents the fourth album (and fourth masterpiece) of Tobin's prestigious career creating albums for the forward-looking Ninja Tune label. After "Bricolage", "Permutation" and "Supermodified", this album comes across as less jazzy and more dense than the previous albums. It is simply a massive, cold black marble monolith of epic sounds and eerie textures. "Back From Space" is a simply genius sci-fi song that sounds more like going into space than coming back; "El Wraith" is akin to spaceships building the Egyptian pyramids (hey, we never know, right?); and "Searchers" is a hypnotic Asian car chase sequence. Even when Tobin plays it light, as in the intro to "Rosies", he quickly injects a mounting feeling of disarray and doom to the tune. Every song conjures fantastical images of space travel, alien landscapes and a surprising sense of isolation from the outside world.
By no means, however, is this album depressing. It is incredibly fun to listen to Tobin as he picks his samples and makes them fit in unexpected places. It is also interesting to pick up new sounds or elements with repeated listens. Listen to this on headphones (and preferably in the dark) to experience a truly hypnotic and exhiliaring ride through the dark recesses and magnificent wonders of space.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stealth and Power, May 17 2004
This review is from: Out From Out Where (Audio CD)
The (un)usual fusion of samples and ninjitsu style mixing/chopping skills that is Amon's trademark sound is further explored in this offering. Expertly programmed beats, atmospheres with the consistancy of wall-paper paste. This will have your friends asking "What the f**k is that..? "
"Vocal" is a very cool/inspirational track, sounds like James Brown on speed with a bad stammer, with massive reverbed backbeats falling from the sky like meteor fragments.
"Cronic Tronic" another massive, larger than life track... sounds like a load of ants walking across the front control panels of 20+ emu e6400's and recording the intelligble results.
Music to assassinate by.

4.0 out of 5 stars My first electronica review...yay!, Feb. 10 2004
Wheelchair Assassin (The Great Concavity) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Out From Out Where (Audio CD)
Even as one who tends to make it a point to avoid electronic music, I have to admit that "Out From Out Where" is one brilliant album. In fact, if not for the barely-listenable "Verbal," we might be looking at a five-star rating here. If you're in the mood for a mental workout that can also get your head bobbing, this is certainly a good place to look. It takes a few spins to appreciate an album this complex and eclectic, but it's more than worth the time and effort. In fact, the challenge of putting everything together is the principal basis for the album's appeal: having generally associated electronica with the mindless drivel that gets played in clubs, I was pleasantly surprised that the genre has produced some genuinely intiguing art.
So, you might ask, what does the album sound like? Okay, okay, I'm getting to that. The music on "Out From Out Where" is typically dark and intense, characterized by fractured rhythms and bizarre percussion sounds. Electronica may provide the foundation, but it's fleshed out with an almost impossible array of influences. Tobin is a master of tension and dynamics, creating constantly-mutating pieces that expertly mix contrasting shades of light and dark. Against a backdrop of ominous atmospheres, he unleashes a never-ending sonic onslaught of twisted, intricate beats, with a surprise always lurking just around the corner.
Perhaps most importantly, the variety on "Out From Out Where" is nothing short of incredible. In the space of a mere eleven tracks, Tobin manages to conjure up aural montages of so many different stripes it's hard to believe the same guy did it all. For instance, the opening "Back From Space" and "Chronic Tonic" are filled with otherworldly sound effects and jarring time signatures that will almost certainly make you move, but probably not in any conventional manner. Convulsions are a more likely result. "Searchers" is a harsh, creepy piece that steadily builds tension without offering any catharsis, instead burrowing its way into your psyche in a genuinely unsettling fashion. "El Wraith" is as ghostly and ethereal as its title implies, placing some chilling strings over a Middle Eastern-derived rhythm. "Proper Hoodidge" brings together a pounding, repetitive backbeat with a quirky landscape of electronic bleeps, sweeps, and creeps, and throws in some more Eastern accents just for good measure. In other places, as with the dizzying double-shot of "Cosmo Retro Intro Outro" and "Triple Science," Tobin just goes for out-and-out sensory overload. And while "Mighty Micro People" ends the album on a quiet note, it's still plenty creepy.
Hearing this album, I can't help but wish I'd been open to this genre earlier. And to think of all that time I spent listening to Creed and Pearl Jam that I'll never get back. Oh well. Anyway, if you're looking for some electronic music that will be suitable for your big brain, "Out From Out Where" is certainly worth checking out. So dig in.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Album - Highly Recommended, Feb. 9 2004
This review is from: Out From Out Where (Audio CD)
As a fan of hip hop, inudustrial and electronic music I find that Amon Tobin is the only person capable of taking inspiration from all of these different kinds of creation and making something that is totally new and fresh that doesn't sound like anything you've ever heard before. This album is timeless and is not one that will go back to the music store in a year.

5.0 out of 5 stars other worldly, Feb. 2 2004
This review is from: Out From Out Where (Audio CD)
not to toot my own horn, but i listen to quite a lot of music. especially music that is 'electronic' in nature. some of my favorites include the staples such as boards of canada, prefuse 73, dabrye, telefon tel aviv, aphex twin, autechre, four tet, unkle, massive attack, bjork...the list goes on. after years of listening to various genres of music, it is almost as if my ears have finally been blessed with the equivalent of a musical soulmate. i have known about amon tobin for years. in fact, i recall constantly picking up and looking at the cover of supermodified 4 years ago, way before i started to really listen to music that is more 'electronic' in nature. today, it reached a boiling point. i went out specifically to buy out from out where. it was like i had been putting it off for years. let me just say this, i am more than pleased with the result. the only word that i can think of to describe the music he creates is vast. i take that back, vast and cinematic. you know what, there are too many words that can be used to describe this album. let me conclude by saying that this is amazing music that the experienced ear will adore. on a side note, pick up rjd2's deadringer and dabrye's one/three: both equally excellent albums.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best of 2003, Dec 8 2003
This review is from: Out From Out Where (Audio CD)
I had been aware of Amon Tobin for a while but didn't listen to any of his CD's until I found this. I immediately knew this was amazing, in fact I best compare it to what DJ Shadow did with Endroducing. This CD revitalized the genre with such a great cinematic vision. Many of the tracks on this CD are perfect for licensing of all kinds, regular commecials, movie trailers, etc. It's definetely very moody and trippy so no comedies here, except maybe with Verbal, but it's a stretch, unless we're talking about a Snatch type of comedy.
Amon is great, I've come to conclude. Since I discovered this album, I have picked up every single Amon CD available, including Adventures in Foam / Cujo, and have located him on a dozen samplers and soundtracks. Keep an ear out for this guy, he deserves to be scoring films, and in fact, he should be scoring for all forms of advertising.
Amon rules, that's all I can say. I'm glad to read that everyone else that listens to him likes him just as much as I do. Hopefully, if you haven't heard this album, you will decide to check it out after this.
Good luck in your musical quest, but just know, I've listened to almost every other CD that came out in 2003 and very few actually compare to Out From Outwhere. It's utter brilliance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Innovative and exciting!, Nov. 8 2003
sandwich (Victoria, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Out From Out Where (Audio CD)
I've been aware of Amon Tobin for ages but asside from occasionally rummaging through his CDs in the stores and sometimes scanning through the tracks on test-listen thingies, I don't know why but I always resisted the urge to actually buy one of his albums. Sometimes I was just overly conscious of financial problems (although that always seemed to be an issue which was overlooked when it came to top-notch music) or it felt awkward discovering an artist who's really cool and been around for ages so late and it made me feel like I've been so deprived and ignorant. Eventually it got to the stage where everytime I'd go into a CD store I'd end up looking at all his CDs and still never buying one even though I spent so much time pondering on which would be the best to start with. It became a sort of obsessive ritual. I even read reviews about his albums from critics and fans. It didn't make sense that I didn't have any of his CDs yet and that I kept putting it off because I felt stupid for not investigating and discovering him at an earlier stage. My last visit to the CD store was the last straw because I was subconsciously intending of getting Supermodified or Out From Outwhere. I don't feel guilty for discovering Amon so late because I've been reminded of how getting into an artist with a colourful history has its advantages as well. From this one album alone I understand that Amon has a very rich and exciting body of work and a promising future.
It's been quite a while since I've discovered such a rare and exhilarating cultural electronic album full of creative exotic scattered bleeps and random sounds, dark droning atmospheric bass, surround synths and a range jungle chill and heavy post-apocalyptic industrial beats. It incorporates elements of ambient, jungle, trip-hop, industrial and gothic soundscapes. You can't quite dance to it but you can sit back and cruise with it and truly appreciate this talented DJ's work. I'm glad I've finally bought it and I really want to buy more of his CDs as I anticipate his new releases. If you like this particular album I also recommend Robert Miles' Organik.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE MAN IS A GENIUS!!!!, Oct. 29 2003
D. Lee "dlatrell" (Jackson, MS) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Out From Out Where (Audio CD)
AMON TOBIN--I think I love you, Dude!!! Never in my life have I heard such original material than what can be heard on "Out From Out Where" except for on "Bricolage" and "Supermodified", of course. I hadn't gotten "Permutations" yet--Hell, I can't find it!--, but it's only a matter of time before I do. I'll admit to being a fan of D&B and some house/techno, but it was becoming a dying and very lackluster genre, until Tobin came along!!! This man brilliantly takes so many styles of music and melts them into one creating a landscape of funky, primal, eerie and --believe it or not--beautiful soundtracks. "Out From Out Where" is a little more raw than its predecessors and the jazz embellishments he once used are very minimal here,if present at all, but that doesn't take away from the album itself. Tobin overcompensates with plenty of orchestral sounds, ambient melodies, and quirky samples from God knows where--two samplers, Tobin? I'd say at least 10! This baby opens with a bang with "Back From Space" and keeps it krunk with the super-funky "Verbal"! Next is the utterly chaotic "Chronic Tronic" that sounds like something from one of those Post-Apocalyptic action flix. Then Tobin slows it down a tempo with the swingin',"Searchers" and the psychedelic, "Hey, Blondie!" But wait!! He revs you back up with "Rosies", that is too funky!!!!! "Cosmo Retro Intro Outro" takes you back to the days of breakdancin' and I'm sure will be used in cheerleader routines across the counrty! "Triple Science" is scary, plain and simple, and gives you a sense of impending doom--"OMIGOD!! Don't go in there!!!" "El Wraith", "Proper Hoodidge" and "Mighty Micro People" slows you down once again, which after the thrill-ride you just experienced on the first 3/4 of "Out From Out Where", is just what you need to settle you back down!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tobin, July 11 2003
10ma (Terre Haute, IN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Out From Out Where (Audio CD)
Out From out Where, the follow-up release to Supermodified, is another example of why people see drum n bass as a dying genre. It's not because the album exemplifies that, but rather because it exemplifies what most drum n bass musicians dont do. Amon Tobin is an enigma, his music can be, and has been, categorized anywhere from techstep to acid jazz to idm. The balance in elements rolled into one song is on par, and the fact that he can seemlessly mix so many non-traditional features into a song is really a testament to artistic originality. It's almost a sin to call him a drum n bass musician, because it instantly paints a portrait of another dying musician who cant explore outside of the redundant beat patterns and occassional synth interludes.
The track is mainly d n b, however. The good kind. The only exception is Verbal, which is more of a breakbeat mixture, which took a while to grow onto me. The music isn't as experimental as in Supermodified, but it's more danceable, so it's good either way. Tobin has really evolved in so many ways from his earlier works, this album is just another stepping stone.

Out From Out Where
Out From Out Where by Amon Tobin (Audio CD - 2002)
Click for more info