5.0 out of 5 stars Just as good- if not better- than the first

Published on June 16 2004

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars nice scenery, not much story, June 16 2004
This review is from: Return to the Blue Lagoon (Sous-titres français) (DVD)
Return to the Blue Lagoon, originally released in 1991, is based on the story after Emmeline and Richard die at sea, but their boy is rescued by a ship. On this ship, a lady named Sarah and a baby girl named Lilli escape the disease-ridden ship as well as a ill-intentioned shipmate before landing on the island that has the blue lagoon. It stars Milla Jovovich as Lilli and Brian Krause as Richard, and also Lisa Pelikan as Sarah, the widow who takes care of them as infants before dying on the island. The duo are at different times threatened by a shark, native tribes, and a ship of people.
This movie, while containing much beautiful scenery and a good idea, lacks both the persuasion and plot necessary for it to be recommended by myself. It also lacks meaning, besides a somewhat-unconvincing theme of staying true to each other in trying times, which is barely even noticeable above the drivel.
Especially annoying is Brian Krause's portrayal of Richard, who is whinier than Luke Skywalker at the beginning of Star Wars IV: A New Hope. His acting was also not that great, to put it kindly. As another reviewer put it, he is even at some points embarrassing, such as his ongoing antagonism with a shark. "You think you own this reef?" he shouts one of the times. Milla Jovovich's performance was much better, as well as Lisa Pelikan's, but the plot didn't hold up under the weight of the meaninglessness drivel. There was no suspense, such as we could at least see with The Beach, another flick with a "paradise-threatened" theme.
I guess some could call this a chick flick, I just call it boring. Overall, this probably is not a great movie even to rent, unless you are in the mood for a movie about people stranded on an island, and The Beach, Castaway and Robinson Crusoe are checked out already.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as good- if not better- than the first, March 14 2004
"sailorkiska" (Cape Coral, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Return to the Blue Lagoon (Sous-titres français) (DVD)
I saw both "The Blue Lagoon" and "Return to the Blue Lagoon" when I was a bit younger, but when I rewatched them I got the same feeling as before.. they are both excellent movies about love and this one is no worse than the first. It's a similar storyline, but it provides a nice twist in the end when the two (now grown) teens are given a chance to return to civilization.
Also, I'd like to comment that in the end of The Blue Lagoon, Em and Richard did die because... the child only had one berrie, which made him go to sleep. But when a person has a lot of those berries (and no, I can't remember the name) then they die. It's like having one sleeping pill as opposed to twenty (which is essentially what Em and Richard did at the end of the first movie).
Also, this movie has much more gorgeous people. Brian Krause can now be found in the WB show Charmed (altho he's not as hot, of course) and Milla is going to be in the upcoming sequel to Resident Evil.. where she (again) fights evil zombie monsters in a sexy red dress and black boots. Wow, she's sexy. anyway... enough of my drooling. This movie is wonderful, I recommend it!

2.0 out of 5 stars Please God! Redo this movie!, Jan. 11 2004
Don L. Schlick (Colorado, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Return to the Blue Lagoon (Sous-titres français) (DVD)
I don't know what most people are thinking when they write a review about this movie saying how "great" it is. I thought it was awful, really awful to be exact. Most of the movie is just a copy of the original, the all too worn out tale of friendship blossoming into love. Yes, it was romantic with the FIRST movie but it was pure laziness on the writers and directors part in doing the entire thing over again.
I almost wrote to the people who made the movie and asked them to redo it. It was lazily done and I think, that with a little effort, it could have been much better.
It's not the nudity in the movie that makes it bad and I think people who complain about the nudity are ridiculous since being naked is perfectly natural, for children and adults, we've just grown up in a world where nudity is considered a "sin" *ahemreligiouspeopleahem*. :-) What makes this movie terrible is the overused plot and anyone who's seen The Blue Lagoon can tell you that after watching this movie.
I don't reccomend this movie to anyone, if you've seen The Blue Lagoon, just watching The Return to The Blue Lagoon is a waste of your time, it is the exact same thing and poorly made. In short, if the director is reading this I suggest to him to get off his lazy bum and redo and then put some E-F-F-O-R-T into it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Embarrassing, but Milla's in it, so who cares?, April 12 2003
This review is from: Return to the Blue Lagoon (Sous-titres français) (DVD)
As a guy, you might think it odd that I would watch such a film, and frankly I'm embarrassed by the fact that I did watch it. However, as a Milla obsessed fool, I couldn't pass it up. In the end I'm glad I watched it. Yeah, it's corny, and has pretty poor acting, however, Milla looked great, and her acting, as well as the acting of Brian Krause, improved drastically throughout the film. This is the perfect film for any Milla Jovovich fan, because it showed how she has matured and improved as an actress.
Viewer Beware:
Just as the acting gets better, and you think the corniness has settled down a bit, they throw a giant hunk of cheddar your way. To say that the ending is cheesy is an understatement.
Well, in the end, the movie is cheesy, yes, but if you're a Milla fan, check it out ASAP! However, because of the sometimes-corny acting, and all out teenage-female premise, I'm unable to score this above a 4 out of 5.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fast forward review, June 7 2003
This review is from: Return to the Blue Lagoon (Sous-titres français) (DVD)
Flicks like this (for sleaze fans) fall into the underage perversion category, jailbait, lolitas, that sort of thing. I'm not sure how old Milla was here, but the point is whether she pulls off the feeling of being sixteen, and the answer is yes. Of course, there's no point if there's no nudity, but there is, briefly.
First we got some topless tyke running around, but boy, that stretches the definition in pretty much unacceptable territory. Anyway, it's brief. Then we got a lot of swimming and skimpy costumes (mucho legs and tummy) by the older Milla, but nowhere near as explicit as BG I. Finally, we got a uni-nip mirror scene. That's it, you can stop watching at that point and save wear and tear on your fast forward button. One star for the one nip, max.

3.0 out of 5 stars Millaliscious, Feb. 23 2003
justine ryan (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Return to the Blue Lagoon (Sous-titres français) (DVD)
Ok,when compared to the The Blue Lagoon,it looks like Return to the Blue Lagoon doesn't hold up as well, but if you take a closer look the film really is good. It's well acted by Milla Jovovich and Brian Krause. Milla did a beautiful job of pulling it off compared to the wonderful Brooke Shields. And I don't just think this because I LOVE MILLA JOVOVICH. Ok actually i'm a Milla whore. I'm a complete Milla nut. I Love everything that I'v seen her in.This film is uniquely good when looked at in it's own catagory. The tenderness of the love story is handled nicely. It's beautifully shot. The story's interesting even if it is semi recycled from the original. But I believe given a chance,you will really like. If not there's always the original.

4.0 out of 5 stars This movie is really romantic, definately a chick flick!, Nov. 7 1999
This review is from: Return to/Blue Lagoon (VHS Tape)
Return to the Blue lagoon is probably one of my favorite "rent" movies. It really cheers you up if you are having a bad day, and puts you in the romantic mood. This movie basically moves right along, and by the time you get to the romance, it's finished. This movie is not to long, but not to short. Although, it does have many differences than The Blue Lagoon, with Brook Shields. To get a better knowledge of the movie, it is best to see both of them! So don't hesitate to rent both the blue lagoon, and Return to the blue lagoon. I love this movie so much, that I even have a picture of it, with Brian Krause framed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sophomoric Softcore, Dec 30 2002
"erratablu" (Philadelphia, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Return to the Blue Lagoon (Sous-titres français) (DVD)
While the original "Blue Lagoon" movie was hardly great cinema, this remake of a "sequel" is even shlockier, sappier, and cornier than the original... Brian Krause ("Charmed") is often embarrassing (ie his ongoing antagonism with a shark), but no so much as Mila Jovavich's pouting, simpering delivery. No doubt popular with the baby-sitting teenybopper set, who most likely find the idea of being shipwrecked on a desert island with a "cute boy" the height of romance. Perhaps they could lobby for a part three starring Britney Spears & Justin Timberlake...

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Return to the Blue Lagoon (Sous-titres français)
Return to the Blue Lagoon (Sous-titres français) by William A. Graham (DVD - 2002)
CDN$ 93.97