5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific twosome battle across beautiful blu ray

Published on Dec 15 2003 by Douglas Herring

3.0 out of 5 stars Classic Movie - Horrible DVD transfer, Dec 15 2003
Douglas Herring (Redmond, WA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quiet Man [Import] (DVD)
Simply put, this is my favorite movie of all time, and I am sad to say I have to agree with others that the digital transfer to DVD of this film is horrible, let the buyer beware. I have the 40th Anniversary VHS and with all of the limitation of that medium, they started with a far better print of the film and it is actually still far more presentable than the current DVD. I am being vocal on this both to warn fans and potential fans of the film of the lackluster transfer, and to let the powers that be know that this is one beloved film and that I would happily purchase it again when a digitally enhanced high quality transfer struck from the original negative is available.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific twosome battle across beautiful blu ray, March 30 2013
Michael Ratcliffe "sentimentalist" (Montreal, Quebec, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Quiet Man [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Olive Films restoration of this terrific paring of John May e and Maureen O'Hara in John Ford's romantic recreation of his beloved Ireland is a gem and amazing when compared to earlier and very disappointing DVD transfers. Thank you very much Olive Films for giving me this perennial favourite back in such great condition. This film has t been seen looking this good in the 60 years I have been watching it. If you love this classic or want to discover what the John and Maureen screen chemistry was all about this is the film and blue day to see. Great fun, love and joy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great movie, great transfer, Jan. 25 2013
J. Maendel (Edmonton, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Quiet Man [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I've been anticipating a blu-ray of The Quiet Man for years and it's finally here. Sure, there's no subtitles, commentary, or other significant extras you would find on a Criterion release; but the film itself looks and sounds great. Movie: 5 stars, Blu-ray: 4.5 stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars Best Movie...Worst DVD, Dec 21 2004
This review is from: Quiet Man [Import] (DVD)
The Quiet Man has always been my favourite movie. The DVD transfer is the worst I've ever seen. My VHS version is of better quality. My suggestion ...E-mail Artisan and express your dismay....I did .

2.0 out of 5 stars A family classic with restrictive copy protection, Feb. 6 2014
This review is from: The Quiet Man [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
This family classic remains as a good memory and unfortunately, the Blue-ray copy protection prevents it from playing on a computer. It's amazing that a 60 year old classic requires copy protection and Olive Films ignored both of my e-mail(s) about the product. Only wanted to watch the movie with Blue-ray player on the Macintosh.

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful restoration, April 10 2013
L. Moran - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Quiet Man [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Just love this corny, romantic movie and to see it in spectular Blu-ray was worth waiting for! Warning however, the cardboard outer sleeve does not identify the movie inside as Blu-Ray, so be sure to check the top of the sleeve for the identifiable Blu-Ray blue border on the dvd case itself. It took 3 tries from Amazon before I actually got the Blu-Ray version. Apparently they only had one sleeve cover printed for both versions of the movie. But it was worth the wait!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ireland and the Duke, March 22 2013
This review is from: The Quiet Man (DVD)
Another curl up on the couch with a bowl of popcorn on a Sunday afternoon. It's John Wayne and Maureen O'Hare again and it's perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good quality, Feb. 16 2013
This review is from: The Quiet Man (DVD)
I would recommend this product to anyone wanting a good copy of this movie.
The colors are so much better than I have ever scene before.

2.0 out of 5 stars poor quality DVD, June 21 2004
This review is from: Quiet Man [Import] (DVD)
I agree with others that this beloved movie, along with "McClintock!", was transferred in *dreadful* manner to DVD, and would urge readers to keep or buy VHS (not Good Times version)instead of DVD. That said, I did love the special feature on "Quiet Man", where they talk about the movie and people in it... it alone made "QM" worth it's $9.95 price I paid for it... so what did she whisper in his ear? But am certianly glad I watched the DVD first, before I just went and threw out my VHS tape!

1.0 out of 5 stars A crime to charge money for this DVD, May 3 2004
T. Whelan (Regina, CANADA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quiet Man (DVD)
There is a tendency when you really like a movie to gloss over any problems with its transfer to DVD. After all, this is a very good movie by the best director that ever lived - John Ford.
STAY AWAY FROM THIS VERSION. If it were a car it would be recalled. Do not let your affection for the material convince you it is acceptable.
On my TV, using component video imputes, it has the worst color of any DVD I've seen - with the possible exception of $4.99 bargins. The color saturation varies, going up and down at intervals. The detail is lousy. This looks like a third generation video copy. While the problem gets a little better towards the end, it is still very bad. This kind of treatment for a film that won an Oscar for cinematography? Ah, the profit motive.
If you would like to see a great John Ford film on DVD where some care has been spent on restoration, try "My Darling Clementine," "The Searchers" or "The Grapes of Wrath."
Leonard Maltin hosts a "making of" short on the DVD. Is his presence a tacit endorsement of the transfer? And if so, does he not carry some responsibility?

ARRAY(0xb4002744)

Quiet Man [Import]
Quiet Man [Import] by John Ford (DVD - 2002)
CDN$ 56.56