5.0 out of 5 stars It rivals Army of Darkness for utter senslessness and funny

Published on Oct. 12 2003 by Eric Frei

1.0 out of 5 stars A sad excuse for a horror film, Oct. 12 2003
Eric Frei "Sheppard Of Aeons" (Saddle River, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Legion of the Dead (Widescreen) (DVD)
This, my friends, is possibly the worst movie ever made (so bad, it makes Forbidden Zone look good). Its more sad then anything. You could tell the producers were trying to come up with a good plot line, that was good for the first 30 seconds of the film. Then, they added some characters that (you could tell) they were trying to incorperate into the plot, but never went anywhere and served no purpose to the gravity of the film. The last 1 1/2 of it was trying to Compensate for the first 30 minutes, but not only could they not pull it off, they also made it cheesier and it spiraled down in misery like a bad addiction. To top it off, the last 23 seconds of the film COMPLETELY negated anything the movie was about. There is no Legion and there are no Dead. This, more then dissapointing, is a waste of money. I think the producers were either A) Smoking serious amounts of crack, B)Play D&D and never graduated High School, or C)Take us and Hollywood as a joke and purposefully insult us as horror movie goers. Smoke some Shrooms if you choose to watch it. Im sure it wont even be 1/4 as bad and would actually make sence that way.

1.0 out of 5 stars HEAVILY EDITED VERSION!5 star movie now a 1 star movie!, Nov. 6 2002
"essence16420" (Seminole, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Legion of the Dead (Widescreen) (DVD)
Well,congratulate the MPAA for another job well done.
I have owned the Japanese and German dvd of this movie
for about a year now.I received my copy of the American
release today and what I got was a superb picture,
top notch sound, and EVERY GOOD PART REMOVED AND CUT
FROM THE MOVIE!WHY IN THIS DAY AND AGE SHOULD WE HAVE
TO HAVE THIS MUCH CENSORSHIP IN A SILLY HORROR MOVIE?
There are many movies out there that show way more gore
than what was taken from this movie.Those of you that
have the foreign versions of this film,hold on to them!
The first cut appears in the first 10 minutes when our
first victim is recruited for the legion.Yes folks,the
last half of that scene is totally gone!OLAF ITTENBACH
is a GERMAN FILM EXTRAORDINAIRE who is on the rise in
the business and is very god-like to the serious horror
fan who likes their special effects on the outrageous
side.He does ALL of the special make-up,writes and
directs all of his movies!This movie un-cut is a 5 star
movie all the way.It has humor,action,suspense,special
effects(very little cgi-mostly original),and a story.
Oh well,sorry to have to break the news.There is no reason
that this movie should have been edited this heavily or
even edited at all!Major letdown!Well,I hope DOG SOLDIERS
is much better.Thank god for multi-region dvd players!

3.0 out of 5 stars Despite the Bad Reviews..., Sept. 26 2003
Joshua S. Johnson (Charleston, WV United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Legion of the Dead (Widescreen) (DVD)
Ok, so it wasn't the movie of the year. It doesn't however necessarily deserve all the bad reviews. Perhaps, the plot could have been slightly more developed, rather than handing us snipets of the stories motive. The reason that I say this is that if it were simply a slasher style film with little plot that would have been sufficient, but the storyline for this film required that the viewer have more knowledge of what the events leading up to and occuring in the film concerned. High points of the film included the following: decent acting, and subtle dark humor, as well as a few moderately entertaing action sequences. Of course, the highest point of the film...actress Kimberly Liebe. Her acting was comparable with the acting of the other cast members, but her beauty was the most memorable! I give this film 3 stars.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wow surprising bad.., Nov. 24 2002
This review is from: Legion of the Dead (Widescreen) (DVD)
From what I read of other viewers this American version was cut and was supposed to be much better than this. But wow!! I have not given a 1 star for a film in a long time. The film does not have any continuity and makes absolutely no sense at all. It now makes all the more sense when the others who have watched the uncut versions, to see how butchered this film is because it makes absolutely no sense at all. THe only good thing I could say about this is it does have some humor in it that will totally make u laugh but its not enough to make up for the ... of film this is. If I could go back to the past in a time machine, I would tell myself this was a mistake.
Good points: some humor that is unique
Bad points: choppy story, bad plot, boring film, no action
Overal grade : F-

1.0 out of 5 stars OLAF ITTENBACH FANS, BEWARE!!!, April 2 2003
Lance A. Wethey (Baton Rouge, LA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Legion of the Dead (Widescreen) (DVD)
I would like someone at Artisan to explain to me why they even chose to release a movie by Olaf Ittenbach. This is a director who is known for comedic horror soaked with over the top gore. This Artisan release is so severely edited that not only is there very little gore, but key character development suffers, the story loses continuity, and the comedy is left feeling flat. This is not how this movie was intended to be seen. Imagine watching "Aliens" but without all the scenes involving suspense and the aliens themselves and you can get an idea of how this version compares to the uncut release.
If you must, buy it for the "Making Of Legion Of The Dead" documentary. It's far more entertaining and infinitely gorier than the movie itself.

1.0 out of 5 stars SO BAD IT HURT TO WATCH, July 24 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Legion of the Dead (Widescreen) (DVD)
I rented this movie tonight and just finsihed watching it. I thought I would write a reveiw to save someone from buying this awful movie. Thank god I only rented it. Until tonight I thought no move could be as bad as "The Jersey Devil" (another movie to stay away from) but this movie proved me wrong. I watched the whole thing from beginning to end and I couldn't tell you what it was about to save my life. It skips from scene to scene and never explains ANYTHING. I don't know what idiot let this movie be released but he should be hunted down and tortured! Whatever you do, don't rent, buy or watch this movie. It will only make you angry that you can't get back the time you wasted on watching it.

5.0 out of 5 stars It rivals Army of Darkness for utter senslessness and funny, April 27 2004
This review is from: Legion of the Dead (Widescreen) (DVD)
Okey I see this has gotten a ton of bad review but I highly suggest any good B-Rated horror fan to get this movie. It was so utterly stupid that I couldnt believe I hadnt heard of it before. Im a vivid fan of the Bruce Cambell trilogy that is The Evil Dead, The Evil Dead(The 2nd remake that seemingly had nothing to do with the first cept for a few characters) And the third "Army of Darkness". If you like those movies for the pure stupidity that makes it utterly funny you'll love this movie's senselessness. DO NOT BUY IF YOU ARE A EXSPECTING A HARD CORE HORROR FLICK! THINK OF THE ABOVE TRILOGY AND YOU'LL GET THE PICTURE. Luke, have my babies.

1.0 out of 5 stars Plot? Where?, Nov. 7 2003
Courtney (Charlottesville, Virginia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Legion of the Dead (Widescreen) (DVD)
When someone asked me what this movie was about, I couldn't even begin to tell him. The vague appearance of a plot falls through within the first 5 minutes of the film (if it even lasted that long). I've seen plenty of stupid horror films and even enjoyed most of them. But this film was just not able to be tolerated. It was grotesque (not even because of the gore) and painfully stupid. There seemed to be 3 or 4 different plot lines throughout the "movie", but they never connect comprehensibly. I turned off the TV wondering what I had just witnessed and crying over the loss of my money.

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY THIS MOVIE, Nov. 10 2002
S. P. Reyes "Caitiff" (SANTIAGO Chile) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Legion of the Dead (Widescreen) (DVD)
Please do yourself a favour and do not spend money in a movie so edited and cut that it's impossible to understand it. I bought the movie because I believed it had something to do with vampires (if you see the cover you'll understand), however it is far from it. Anyway, I cheched the "Making - of" documentary and found all the escenes that I didn't see in the movie. I believe they cut almost 15 minutes of the film. It might be a good movie, but not in this condition. It should have never been released like this. REAL PITTY.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst movie I have ever seen., April 2 2003
This review is from: Legion of the Dead (Widescreen) (DVD)
This movie absolutely [stinks], there's nothing more I can say. Even the "un-rated super uncut uncensored blah blah" version wouldn't save this [movie]. I hate the person who wrote it and the [person] who took on the task of directing it. I wanted to rip my eyes out every time I saw the tall, blonde "[villain]" Save your money, don't even rent this garbage, go see something more productive, like a grass-growing contest.

Legion of the Dead (Widescreen)
Legion of the Dead (Widescreen) by Olaf Ittenbach (DVD - 2003)
CDN$ 32.89