4.0 out of 5 stars Transformers Season 2 part 1
Ok, first off, its a collection worth having. All the originals are here, and everything you remembered about them is present. I've broken down my review into quick snibits to make it short and sweet.
Published on Jan. 10 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than Season One Remastering but.....
Published on May 25 2003

4.0 out of 5 stars Transformers Season 2 part 1, Jan. 10 2004
This review is from: Original Transformers: Season 2, Part 1 (DVD)
SOUND: I don't know why Rhino decided to put 5.1 audio on a cartoon that was barely suitable for stereo. The sound is good, however the decision to replace sounds with new snd fx was a horrible idea. Why? Why!! Also, because of this "forced" 5.1 audio, it is painfully obvious and straining to the ear to hear the audio switch back and forth between your center spkr and your surrounds. It was a nice try, but really doesn't snd too good.
IMAGE: The restoration is good, and I don't think can get any better. Crisp and clean. Though, I don't understand why Rhino decided to keep the commercial tag lines in. It seems those should have been taken out.
EXTRAS: Horrible. They are actually pretty boring, and having almost nothing to do with the old series. These are guys who are doing the new Armada series, and you don't get anything, zippo, from hardly anyone who did anything on the original broadcast. They are not well done either, and did I say they were rather boring?? No concept designs, sketches, storyboards, commentaries. . . nothing.
That's it. Besides all that, it is worth having to simply relive the nostalgia of it. But I think Rhino has made some pretty wierd and poor decisions on the quality. It's as if no one really tested the product. Or, these are people who didn't even grow up with the series, and are simply pumping out another DVD to put on the market. who knows.

4.0 out of 5 stars Transformers Season Two Boxed Set, Part 1, Jan. 6 2004
Mike Smith (Independence, MO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Original Transformers: Season 2, Part 1 (DVD)
It's amazing how classic these cartoons are. Being a father now, my own sons enjoy watching them, the cartoons today are pale in comparison to the series that launched in the 80's and 90's.
Everything of the quality is excellent, I don't think you could ask any more as far as sound and picture. These were old, and I don't think anyone had DVD's in mind back then. The only thing that is seriously lacking is really good extras. It begs the question: "Does anyone from the original series even care, or are they even alive still?" Where are the directors/writers and original artists for these things? I would have loved to hear some audio commentary too by some of the former directors. Yet you find none of it on any of the collector editions. It's unfortunate, and I would really like to know why. Model sheets, concept designs would have been neat to look at, even the Transformers: The Movie DVD had little to nothing to offer. I guess no one saved anything???
However, this is the DVD to get, simply for the episodes. It's worth the money, and it has definately been worth the wait.

4.0 out of 5 stars BEST SEASON EVER, Feb. 7 2004
JAYDAWG "sljl11099" (Fall River, Ma. United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Original Transformers: Season 2, Part 1 (DVD)
THIS IS THE GREATEST EVER. GREAT EPISODES HERE MY FAVORITES IN THIS SEASON WERE DINOBOT ISLAND 1 AND 2 AND. DESERTION OF THE DINOBOTS 1 AND 2 . THIS SEASON IS WELL WORTH WHATEVER PRICE THEY ARE SELLING IT AT.

5.0 out of 5 stars You cant beat Transformers on DVD!!, July 30 2003
This review is from: Original Transformers: Season 2, Part 1 (DVD)
The original and classic Transformer cartoons of yesterday can be yours TODAY! ARMADA-SMARMADA! This is the real deal!

5.0 out of 5 stars 20 years waiting, June 12 2003
Jeremy M. Ladd (Austintown, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Original Transformers: Season 2, Part 1 (DVD)
I really have to compliment the people at RHINO...I'm sure the master tapes were not in the best condition at the time of restoration, the quality is as good as can be expected with some extras added to bring a new-fresh feeling to a series that was enjoyed by kids over 20 years ago. I have watched these with my 5 year old nephew reliving parts of my childhood, and he loves it as much as I do!!!! this is a must have for anyone who yearns to return to their 80's childhood.

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than Season One Remastering but....., May 25 2003
This review is from: Original Transformers: Season 2, Part 1 (DVD)
Transformers Season Two had much better story lines than the first and improved animation. This is the season before the movie. The remastering isn't as poor as the first season, where Rhino added in all that []digital colors (i.e. orange rocks) so the video looks pretty good. The audio...well I am not a BIG fan with all the reverb and newly added sound effects & explosion sounds that were never in there; but I guess a lot of people like it. I would prefer a "original" soundtrack option in the menu as the enhanced explosions are too loud (bad compression). Another error was Rhino sticking in season one bumpers...and one episode had GI-JOE music!? WHAT THE...who is doing this remastering anyway? Does Rhino even care?
Overall it's a convient set to have, but in my opinion I prefer the analog originals...for retro sake and disliking of newly added errors and sound.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!!, May 19 2003
This review is from: Original Transformers: Season 2, Part 1 (DVD)
Great remastering quality (picture and sound)! 2nd season contains the best episodes of the series - don't miss it!

5.0 out of 5 stars 2nd season is the best, May 13 2003
This review is from: Original Transformers: Season 2, Part 1 (DVD)
This boxset is great, good remastering and quality, lots of extras

5.0 out of 5 stars Transform and Roll Out!, April 22 2003
Philip Gipson (Dayton, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Original Transformers: Season 2, Part 1 (DVD)
My mom got me the "Transformers - Season 2: Part 1" DVD box for Christmas last year. The set contains the first 24 episodes of season 2 (each one has remastered video and audio). The first three discs contain seven episodes each, while the fourth disc has three episodes and special features. The strangest thing about the second season is that the second year characters appear on our home planet without any explanation. I blame the animators at Sunbow Productions for this indecency. Among the new batch of Transformers are:
New Autobot cars Smokescreen, Tracks, Hoist, Inferno, Red Alert, and Grapple
New Decepticon jets Dirge, Ramjet, and Thrust
Autobot scientist Perceptor
Autobot mini-vehicles Cosmos, Powerglide, Beachcomber, Warpath, and Seaspray
Autobot defense base Omega Supreme
And...
Decepticon triple changers Astrotrain and Blitzwing
I already know that the rest of the '85 Transformers had been seen first in season 1 before season 2. My mom's favorite Transformer from the "Generation One" world is Optimus Prime. As for me, I like all the '84 and '85 TFs because they are very awesome. I don't really care much about the Transformers that appear in seasons 3 and 4 of the cartoon. I'm glad I got it, because I wanted it very badly. That's my mom -- she's always willing to help her family out, no matter how difficult it may seem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Season 2, part 1, April 21 2003
TJ McKeehan (Corbin, Kentucky United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Original Transformers: Season 2, Part 1 (DVD)
This box set is great. Watching it brings back many memories and is actually fun to watch. Even after almost 20 years, this cartoon has never gotten old. I recommend this to anyone who loves transformers or just simply interested in them.

Original Transformers: Season 2, Part 1
Original Transformers: Season 2, Part 1 by Norm McCabe (DVD - 2003)
CDN$ 109.99 CDN$ 53.93