5.0 out of 5 stars Pink Floyd - Unplugged
Firstly I will say that I am a Pink Floyd fan of all eras and had the pleasure to see Roger Waters - In The Flesh concert when he was in Australia.
I was disaponted when I bought the Roger Waters - In The Flesh DVD because I felt it failed to capture the atmosphere as when I saw him live in concert.
So I was a bit hesitant in buying this DVD when I first heard...
Published on Jan. 16 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Not As Much As I Would Expect of David Gilmour...
I was the biggest Pink Floyd Fan in the 1970s and 1980s. Admittedly, I think the Floyd dropped on my greatness scale when Roger Waters left the band (in spite of no longer having to put up with his ego). Anyway, this DVD is a mostly acoustic collection of what David Gilmour likes--not exactly what his fans would've selected for a concert DVD. After watching this one, I...
Published on Jan. 14 2003 by Guitar John

5.0 out of 5 stars Pink Floyd - Unplugged, Jan. 16 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: David Gilmour - In Concert (2002) (DVD)
So I was a bit hesitant in buying this DVD when I first heard about it. After reading several reviews I was intrigued - David playing Pink Floyd songs unplugged as well as Syd Barrett songs and one song from Rick Wrights album Broken China.
A few warnings to people considering buying this DVD:
. Don't expect lasers, floating pigs, fireworks. This is David playing in small scale venue in some cases entirely on his own.
. This is David Gilmour in concert not Pink Floyd so the selection of Pink Floyd songs he has selected to play mostly are from the album The Division Bell and some PF classics such as Wish You Were Here, Comfortably Numb, Shine On You Crazy Diamond 1-4 and 5-8.
I love this DVD and have watched it over and over and over. David proves what a phenominal guitar player he is and that his voice and guitar were the musical strength of Pink Floyd. To hear
songs like Fat Old Sun, Dominoes and Terrapin played live are
a treat to the ears.
Davids interpretation of playing PF songs and the songs of other artists accoustically is very creative and works very well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent concert DVD from David Gilmour, July 2 2004
Terrence J Reardon "Classic rock guru" (Lake Worth, Florida, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: David Gilmour - In Concert (2002) (DVD)
David Gilmour of Pink Floyd released his David Gilmour in Concert DVD in November of 2002. The video was taken from the performance he gave at The Royal Festival Hall in London in June of 2001. This show was part of Robert Wyatt's Meltdown concert series. For this performance, Dave decided to go in an semi-unplugged fashion. The song list were obvious Floyd favorites(Shine on You Crazy Diamond(parts 1-5 at the beginning with just him and his guitar plus Dick Parry's sax and parts 6 and 7 at the end of the regular set), High Hopes, Wish You Were Here and Comfortably Numb(with Robert Wyatt on duet vocal)), some forgotten Floyd pieces(Fat Old Sun(a song not performed since 1971), Coming Back to Life, A Great Day for Freedom), a piece from fallen Floyd Syd Barrett's solo career(Terrapin), a part of a French opera(Je Crois Entendre Encore (which was a chore to sing because Gilmour had not sung in French before)), a new song(Smile(in which Dave told bootleggers to start their machines now)), a Richard Thompson song(Dimming of the Day) and a song from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang(Hushabye Mountain). For those who said Roger is Pink, think again after watching this DVD as Dave was the musical brains behind the band. Also, the DVD has more footage from Dave's Royal Festival Hall shows from January of 2002 where he does another Syd song Dominoes. Plus, fellow Floyd keyboardist Rick Wright joined Dave on a song from Rick's Broken China album called Breakthrough with a great solo from Dave and Comfortably Numb with Rick on Fender Rhodes and Bob Geldof singing Roger's parts. When I first got this DVD on the day of its release, I knew I was in for a treat. The extras on this DVD are great like The Spare Digits section which shows guitar fiends how to play some of Dave's solos. Plus, the hilarious home movies are a hoot to watch. Also, three bonus tracks of his collaboration with Mica Paris from 1992, his cover of Elvis' Don't from 2001 and his vocal delivery of the late Michael Kamen and Shakespeare piece Sonnet 18. This DVD is highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gilmour still rules, July 19 2003
This review is from: David Gilmour - In Concert (2002) (DVD)
Just to see Mr. Pinkfloyd performing live is priceless!
Loved the live version of "Wish you were here" with chello, very alive version of "Coming back to live", very Gilmouric version of "Dominos" and a very new song from Gilmour -"smile".
"Dimming of the Day" delivery is certainly memorable!
The DVD has some rare extras as added bonus such as, Gilmour singing sonnet of Wlliam Shakespeare, multiple live version of "Wall" tracks with guest stars, home movie, lyrics etc.
This one is a gem in live performance.

5.0 out of 5 stars In a word, "Beautiful.", June 13 2004
This review is from: David Gilmour - In Concert (2002) (DVD)
The appreciation of music is a highly subjective matter; what I might love, you can feel free to hate. But, in the age of "American Idol" (and the "mega-stars" who are the inspiration for those who seek the title), it's nice to see that real art has a staying power. This music is all about touch, from the craftsmanship of its performance to its grip on the heart strings of the listener. Ratings are meaningless, especially (I checked) when so many releases accrue 4.5 stars as an average. All I can say is that if you were ever a fan of David Gilmour's playing, there is absolutely nothing here to turn you away (gorgeous tone, as always) and he is accompanied by a BRILLIANT ensemble. This is simply one of the finest performances I have ever heard/seen (let's not forget the video production which is first rate). This is not Pink Floyd; this is a mature musician baring his soul (no Wall here) and, apparently, loving every second of it (as did I). I highly recommend this DVD and I am deeply grateful for its release. I shall never tire of it. Thanks Dave!

2.0 out of 5 stars A big , big dissapointment, March 2 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: David Gilmour - In Concert (2002) (DVD)
As a huge Pink Floyd fan, owning just about everything they have ever done, I anxiously peeled the plastic off of this DVD case and popped in the disc.
The whole package seemed to good to be true. David Gilmour, one of the best guitarists ever doing solo accoustic Pink Floyd tunes with a surprise appearance by Rick Wright? how could you lose?
As a huge fan of Gilmour and Waters ( I think they both equally made Floyd wat it was), I was all set to really enjoy this DVD.
The first thing I noticed is the poor picture quality. It's not very sharp or colorful, unlike Waters In the Flesh DVD, or other concert DVD's. Seocndly, I noticed the sound was rather poor.
And I was horrified, absolutely horrified to even consider the thought that Gilmour just didn't sound very good in this, either vocally or with his guitar. I couldn't believe it. It just doesn't sound that good, and Gilmours guitar playing seemed rather boring and uninspired. Has too many years of wine softened his touch? It seemed that way. I was very said to even confront this thought, but it is true.
The mix with the band wasn't that great either. A major irritation was DJ Jazzy Jeff on the accoustic bass with his arm flairs and black painted finger nails.
The female chellist was incredible, and added much to the show.
However, im not sure the whole mix was very good. The mix of Floyd songs with a gypsy configuration just doesn't pay off. It does not fit well with the Pink Floyd songs. The choir was beautiful, but overdone.
the choice of songs were rather boring. The Floyd classics were played poorly, and were uninspired. The two best tunes of the show were Fat Old Sun and Terrpain, the rest was just going through the motions.
I was very excited to see the Rick Wright performance, and I have to say I had to change it midway through. The performance was incredibly sad for a long time Floyd fan who really cherished the band. The Wright performance basically confirms that the band, and it's solo memebers have lost all of their past ability to create and perform with cutting edge style.
As a huge Pink Floyd fan, I was horrified to see my hero(s) look so human. The guitar playing seemed week, the performances matching, and the DVD is a very, very dull affair.
Unless you are a completist , stay away from this DVD. I cannot honestly and in good faith reccomend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A treat for your senses, Jan. 20 2004
This review is from: David Gilmour - In Concert (2002) (DVD)
I must divulge the fact that I am not a die-hard Pink Flyod fan. My husband is, though, and I've been listening to their music off and on for the last 7 years. When my husband bought this DVD and we settled down to watch it, I was mesmerized. A beautiful set, masterfully filmed, will keep your undivided attention as long as any feature length film would. Many PF favorites ("Wish You Were Here", "High Hopes") are performed, plus a new song Gilmour wrote for his wife called "Smile" ("this is a new song", he informs the audience", so if you're bootlegging, start your recorders now!"). Look for guest appearances by Bob Geldof and Richard Wright. Extras include interviews with Gilmour, special features (Gilmour does a cover of Elvis Presley's "Don't"), and a few videos, one of which is filmed in his fabulous houseboat recording studio right on the Thames. In it, Gilmour has composed music for Shakespeare's 18th sonnet ("Shall I compare thee to a summer's day..."), and sings it. So gorgeous! One of the best DVD's we own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gilmour thrills as always, Dec 28 2003
Jeffrey Leach (Omaha, NE USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: David Gilmour - In Concert (2002) (DVD)
There was a time when I went nowhere without a Pink Floyd album close at hand. "The Wall" and "The Final Cut" formed the crux of my listening habits for nearly two years back in the days when such things mattered more than they do now. Eventually, I picked up every Pink Floyd album I could lay my hands on, along with solo albums from Roger Waters, David Gilmour, Richard Wright, and Syd Barrett. Probably the capper of my Pink Floyd listening days was finally getting to see them live in 1994. I don't listen to this stuff as much as I once did, but anytime I get a chance to check out something new I usually do it. That is why I decided to watch "David Gilmour in Concert," a collection of concert footage shot between 2001 and 2002 in London's Royal Festival Hall. There are no fireworks, no huge video screens, and no massive sound system belting out the hits to tens of thousands of people here. Instead, you just get Dave along with a small group of musicians and a few backup singers. Those used to seeing Gilmour blasting out Pink Floyd hits with the rest of the band--sans Roger Waters, of course--will still enjoy how effortlessly he cranks out the music in a much smaller venue than he is probably used to playing.
Arguably the most notable songs on this DVD are the Syd Barrett tunes Gilmour adds to his play list. Hearing "Terrapin" and "Dominoes" performed live really thrills, even if it isn't Syd Barrett doing them. Gilmour has a perfect right to play these songs, in my opinion, because he helped produce Barrett's solo albums back in the early 1970s. Heck, he even provided back up on more than a few of them as well as performing live with Barrett during a few abortive live shows. History has it that Gilmour and Barrett were very close friends, and the two even spent a summer slumming through France playing tunes for pocket change years before Pink Floyd morphed into the stadium powerhouse we are familiar with today. Fans know that several Floyd albums pay tribute to their crazy founder in one way or another, so finally seeing someone from the band play some of Syd's solo songs provides more than an additional reason to pick up this DVD.
Gilmour certainly doesn't stop there. Several Pink Floyd tunes find there way onto the play list. There are two separate versions of the guitar anthem "Comfortably Numb," both of which are excellent renditions. On one of them, none other than Bob Geldof--looking very old and sporting a huge comb over--walks out on stage to recite a few of the lyrics, on the other version Soft Machine member Robert Wyatt (I think) does the honors. The guitarist performs a stellar interpretation of parts of "Shine on You Crazy Diamond" from the Wish You Were Here album along with several lively cuts from the Division Bell album. The real treat, for me at least, was finally hearing a live rendition of "Fat Old Sun" from the Atom Heart Mother recordings. I have always considered this one of Gilmour's finest contributions to Pink Floyd's body of work, and he doesn't disappoint with the treatment given to it here. Well, he disappoints slightly because the version is acoustic. The vocals sound perfect, but hearing that soaring, groovy electric guitar would have been nice. Gilmour proves that he still has what it takes to make it all look effortless. Pink Floyd fans should not express much disappointment with these performances.
A few odds and ends make their way on the disc. "Smile" is a nice little tune that Gilmour says is new. Before playing the song, he goes so far to advise bootleggers to "start recording now." "Hushabye Mountain," "Je Crois Entendre," and a Richard Wright tune, which the Floyd keyboardist turns up to play, "Breakthrough," rounds out the DVD. Also included is a nifty little tune, "Sonnet 18," on the disc that shows us the inside of Gilmour's floating recording studio while letting us know that his voice is as strong as ever. It is always nice to hear Gilmour play some non-Pink Floyd material. My only problem is he didn't do enough of his solo songs, songs that are often excellent in their own right.
You have completely lost it if you cannot find something to like on this disc. Pink Floyd fans often see Gilmour as a lesser force, usually submerging his talents and importance under the contributions of master lyricist Roger Waters. That's true to some extent, but Pink Floyd would never have made it this far without Gilmour's stellar guitar work. This disc underscores what an excellent musician this man is even without any Pink Floyd influences to fall back upon. He makes it all look so effortless, as though he is merely crossing the street or doing his laundry. Actually, Gilmour could probably set his laundry list to music and people would turn out to hear it because it would sound so good! Pink Floyd fans will want to add this DVD to their collection, but even those interested in good music should give this one a go. Attention: Gilmour goes acoustic for most of the songs on the disc, so stadium fans should take note of this and act accordingly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unplugged Floyd., Nov. 15 2003
"mobby_uk" (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: David Gilmour - In Concert (2002) (DVD)
As is the habit of most artists nowadays to go unplugged,ever since the huge success that Eric Clapton had with his own version,David Gilmour's welcome comeback to live shows after few years absence,is largely an acoustic interpretation of classic Floyd songs, some solo numbers and a long overdue tribute to Syd Barrett.
Being a huge fan of Pink Floyd for a number of years,I very much enjoyed watching this DVD, yet not without some mixed feelings about some of the songs.Overall,the selection is great: Although Gilmour's voice seemed a bit tired, and not what it used to be,his bluesy playing was excellent.All the guest musicians are some of the best in the business, especially the long term Floyd collaborator Michael Kamen on piano, and the surprising appearances by Rick Wright and Bob Geldof.
The best part of this DVD,(a very nice if a little weird choice,)was the French song Je Crois Entendre Encore, with its melancholic tune,soulful chorus, and Gilmour's best singing in this concert,it touched me deeply!
Yet I was slightly disappointed with the heavy reliance on acoustic guitars.Yes to be fair,the concert was intended to be unplugged and it is refreshing to hear new versions of old classics, but with songs like Shine on Your Crazy Diamond, it would have worked much better if Gilmour used both guitars,like he did with Comfortably Numb(he could not replace some of his best solos for Floyd with acoustics).
In some Floyd songs,the electric guitar is an integral part of the song and mixing the electric with the acoustic for some songs would not have compromised the purpose and spirit of this concert.
Shine's acoustic intro was great yes,but it needed that extra electric touch to make the new version perfect.
It leaves me to say how much Roger Waters departure from Floyd is missed.In all the Gilmour led concerts post Final Cut, the songs that Waters composed/cowrote are still what the fans really want to hear. You can tell by the huge cheers and applauses whenever Wish You Were Here or Comfortably Numb is played..The atmosphere and mood changes dramatically from enjoyment to a roar!
Having said all that, this DVD is great nonetheless,(strangely though it has not been released on CD! which would have made an invaluable addition to Floyd/Gilmour collection),giving us fans the opportunity to see one of the greatest musicians in rock history still doing what he knows best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvellous!, Oct. 31 2003
This review is from: David Gilmour - In Concert (2002) (DVD)
David Gilmour Live In Cocert, taken from two performances in London's Meltdown & Royal Festival Hall is a masterpiece of its own kind. Davide comes to stage with unshaven face and a T-shirt on. So humble and simple. He takes his guitar and kicks-off with an acoustic rendition of 'Shine On You Crazy Diamond'. Wow! This is the greatest performance of the song to this date. Although his voice is not in fine shape but the power of his guitar makes it up. He follows with an old song by Syd Barret. He is the only Pink Floys member still meeting Syd sometimes and his dedication is invaluable. He revisitis Pink Floyd's past with 'Coming Back To Life'. Still his voice is not what it used to be. The best track is 'Je Crois Entendre Encore' which I haven't heard before and I assume it's an old French song. It made me cry and I really love the arrangement and the melancholy feeling of the song. He follows with a beautiful melodic new song called 'Smile. The presence of Michael Kamen on Piano and English Horn and the girl who plays Cello is truly magnificent on 'High Hopes'. The rendition of 'Wish You Were Here', 'Shine On You crazy Diamond (Part 2)' and ' A Great Day For Freedom' are all thrilling and moving. The Presence of Robert Wiatt and Bob Geldof on 'Comfortably Numb' are great but Roger is truly missed here. Overall, the performance as I wrote is a masterpiece and David delivers his best here. I just wonder why he hasn't played any song from his own back catalogue (1977's David Gilmour and 1982's About Face). The extra tracks are also great and you maybe surprised to see David singing his rendtion of Elvis Presley's 'Don't'. Thank you David for this great effort. I wish someday you can make things up with Roger Waters and we see you together again. I thank you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nearly perfect, Oct. 21 2003
This review is from: David Gilmour - In Concert (2002) (DVD)
This DVD is wonderful - tons of songs, some guest appearances (Robert Wyatt, Bob Geldof, Richard Wright, Dick Parry), and a great variety of supporting musicians. The songs were performed very well, with some highlights being Wish You Were Here, Shine On You Crazy Diamond (both parts), High Hopes, and A Great Day for Freedom.
Although David Gilmour is ranked among the highest of guitarists, you can tell that his age is starting to show; in my personal opinion, he's past his guitar playing prime, which I consider to have been during the Division Bell tours (as displayed on PULSE). Also, taking the place of Roger Waters on Comfortably Numb were Bob Geldof and Robert Wyatt, who didn't do well enough of a job the way I see it. I mean, Robert Wyatt needing a sheet of paper for the words I can understand, but Bob Geldof? (In case you don't know, Geldof played the character "Pink" in Pink Floyd's "The Wall.) It's really not that much to memorize, and he must have heard the song millions of times since its release. And playing Pink just should have been enough for him to know the words... but now I'm just ranting on about a small detail.
All in all, its a great DVD. It has it's downsides, but the rest really helps hold it up.

David Gilmour - In Concert (2002)
David Gilmour - In Concert (2002) by David Mallet (DVD - 2013)
CDN$ 30.99 CDN$ 24.49