5.0 out of 5 stars A Suitable Primer
The name Leonard Cohen first came to my attention way back in the day when Suzanne was released. It was a fairly popular and much-covered song, but it never occurred to me to actually buy the album. I was into much musically heavier things at the time and so my awareness of Cohen gradually receded into distant memory.
Nowadays, my musical interests are much wider and...
Published on March 28 2004 by Kurt Harding

3.0 out of 5 stars Non-essential Leonard Cohen
Published on Nov. 13 2002 by Paul Grant

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Suitable Primer, March 28 2004
Kurt Harding "bon vivant" (Boerne TX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Essential Leonard Cohen (Rm) (2CD) (Audio CD)
Nowadays, my musical interests are much wider and my pockets deeper, so I took a chance on Cohen's CD Ten New Songs when it was released several years ago. It took a while to get into, but I liked some of the songs immediately. My rule with music is that if I like a CD I've purchased by an unfamiliar artist, I buy something else by that artist also in order to give myself a broader enjoyment and understanding of their work. And so it went with Cohen. I picked up several more CDs and liked them enough to feel confident that I would be pleased with The Essential Leonard Cohen.
I have read all the reviews posted here, both positive and negative, and observe that its a given with any compilation that one will always feel that some songs were included that shouldn't have been and some obvious winners omitted. My candidate for ejection is Alexandra Leaving. I would have much preferred to see Boogie Street included or possibly Joan of Arc in its stead.
I think the CD is nicely divided into two periods because as several reviewers have noted, Cohen seems to have two voices. A lot of songs on the first CD one might classify as neo-folk, for lack of a better term. On this, I like Suzanne, The Partisan, Hallelujah, and I'm Your Man best.
On the second CD, the music is more in the direction of soul tinged rock with the occasional nod to country. And Cohen's deepening voice on the second CD imbues the music with more mystery and even occasional menace. I prefer the second disc with its apocalyptic renderings of First We Take Manhattan and The Future. Cohen's blood-chilling delivery on the latter combined with its scathing lyrics should give everyone a lot to think about. Closing Time wouldn't be out of place in any country dancehall and could probably be an alt-country radio hit. A Thousand Kisses Deep is evocative of the work of Michael Franks during his Objects of Desire period. But next to The Future, you might find the live recording of the dreamy and romantic Dance Me To The End of Love to be the surprise best cut. It is really tremendous. Juxtaposed with the former, it shows Cohen to be a man of huge talent who can literately express the gamut of human emotion through song.
This CD is not really for those who have all of Leonard Cohen's recordings already, but it is a suitable primer for anyone who wants an overview of this underrated musician's work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank God for Leonard Cohen, Jan. 4 2004
Julia Rader (Everett, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Essential Leonard Cohen (Rm) (2CD) (Audio CD)
This is a must for any Leonard Cohen complete-ist's collection! I have every CD he's ever put out and yet I find myself frequently choosing this set in order to conveniently listen to favorites from a variety of Leonard's previous CDs. A fabulous collection from an amazing artist!

3.0 out of 5 stars Non-essential Leonard Cohen, Nov. 13 2002
Paul Grant "The View From Olympus" (Sun City Center, FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Essential Leonard Cohen (Rm) (2CD) (Audio CD)
I have every album Leonard Cohen ever recorded, and think that he is a brilliant but somewhat uneven composer. This collection should have contained his absolute best material, to introduce non-fans to the full range ofg his talent. Yet, there are several negligible songs included here, while some of his best known and most beloved are omitted. Where are Joan of Arc and So Long Marianne, or the trenchant Field Commander Cohen, the brilliant Dress Rehearsal Rag and the mesmerising Iodine?
Still, you have to start someplace I guess. If I were you, I'd start at the beginning and work my way through, but if you have no Leonard Cohen in your collecyion, this will do, I guess.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enhanced by a 3rd disc, Oct. 23 2008
Pieter Uys "Toypom" (Johannesburg) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This 3.0 edition with its third disc is a magnificent retrospective. The first two discs draw heavily on Cohen's legendary earlier work like Songs of Leonard Cohen, Songs from a Room and New Skin for the Old Ceremony (Disc One, Tracks 1 to 11), and on later albums like Various Positions, I'm Your Man, The Future and Ten New Songs. The live albums are not represented at all, a great pity in the case of Live Songs of which Passing Through and Please Don't Pass Me By are particularly rare & unknown.

No doubt it deserves five stars - particularly since the artist himself made this selection - but I do miss some favorites, like the graceful The Window from Recent Songs (1979), Heart With No Companion from Various Positions (1985), which in my opinion would have been a better choice than Hallelujah (compare John Cale's great cover of this song on the I'm Your Fan tribute album) and Take This Waltz from I'm Your Man (1988).

I completely agree with the choice of tracks from The Future and Ten New Songs, especially the magnificent Alexandra Leaving, now joined by The Rivers Dark on the 3rd disc. Famous Blue Raincoat is joined by Love Calls You By Your Name to represent Songs of Love and Hate (1971). This album's masterpieces like Joan Of Arc and Diamonds In The Mine, amongst my favorites, have been omitted.

The Third Disc

Besides the aforementioned Love Calls You By Your Name and By The Rivers Dark inspired by Psalm 137 about singing by the rivers of Babylon (markedly less optimistic than the Boney M megahit!), it contains one further track each from Songs From A Room, New Skin for the Old Ceremony, Death of a Ladies' Man, Recent Songs, Ten New Songs & Dear Heather.

Gravitas at its gravest, Death of a Ladies' Man has a majestic arrangement in which waves of multi-layered doom-laden vocals unfold in crests and in troughs where a single female voice momentarily caress Cohen's. The instrumental sound is similarly constructed, so when waning a single instrument or hypnotic instrumental pattern comes fleetingly to the fore. With its overall drone-like ambience this song is as oppressive as Lou Reed's The Bells on the Street Hassle album.

This is a great compilation of Cohen's poetic and melodic genius, infused as it is with a unique spiritual quality. One can trace the maturing of his vocals; it became distinctly weightier and wearier from the 1992 album The Future. The trend has continued down to Dear Heather, and it makes the contrast between his voice and the female vocals even more sublime.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gem, Jan. 18 2014
This review is from: The Essential Leonard Cohen (Rm) (2CD) (Audio CD)
One of the best 2 CD sets I've ever purchased. Keep one set up to go in each CD player in my bedroom to be ready to replay on demand.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it, June 11 2013
This review is from: The Essential Leonard Cohen (Rm) (2CD) (Audio CD)
I loved it, Leonard Cohen is one of Canada's true tresures, and I will never tire of listening to him and his music.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of a kind, May 4 2013
This review is from: The Essential Leonard Cohen (Rm) (2CD) (Audio CD)
Hard to say anything bad about this man. He is truly one of a kind. A writer and a performer. Saw a tv clip once of Prince Charles talking about Cohen and that is high praise from high up!

4.0 out of 5 stars If you like Leonard Cohen, you will like this, Jan. 18 2013
This review is from: The Essential Leonard Cohen (Rm) (2CD) (Audio CD)
A lot of oldies on here that I have not heard for a long time. Some that I know better covered by other artists and nice to hear his take on them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great CD, Aug. 14 2012
My husband and I continue to enjoy this CD. We listen to it regularly. What an interesting voice. The songs are also very easy to listen to and to learn the words.

5.0 out of 5 stars Is There Such a Thing as Non-Essential Leonard Cohen?, April 5 2003
James Carragher (New York) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Essential Leonard Cohen (Rm) (2CD) (Audio CD)
LC, I'm your fan. Have been since I first heard Suzanne going on four decades ago. I used to sing it walking down Telegraph Avenue in Berkeley; it was a phenomenal song then and it still is. This 31 song double CD covers Cohen's career from Suzanne taking your hand and leading to the river to Alexandra leaving with her lord. There is nothing that should not be on this collection, unlike many so-called Essential collections when there is almost always one or more "what the heck is THAT song doing here" moment. My only complaint is that it could easily have had 7 or 8 more cuts; Songs from a Room is badly underrepresented -- where is the unbelievably sad Seems So Long Ago, Nancy and the Hours-like Tonight Will Be Fine, with its lyric that captured Cohen then and does now as well, "I choose the rooms I live in with care/the windows are small and the walls almost bare?" And while I'm mighty happy to have Cohen's version of Famous Blue Raincoat, why not his definitive Joan of Arc? Oh, well, enough carping. Those who have most or all of Cohen's work may not need this -- although popped into the CD player it is a magnificant overview of how consistently strong his work has been for decades, none of the Dylan peaks and valleys. But for those who have only a couple of the albums or are looking to get introduced, this CD is definitive and, oh, yes, essential.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xc45dd8c4)

The Essential Leonard Cohen (Rm) (2CD)
The Essential Leonard Cohen (Rm) (2CD) by Leonard Cohen (Audio CD - 2002)