4.0 out of 5 stars Not Quite the Definitive Elton John Collection
Music: 4.5 Stars Compilation: 3.5 Stars
There have been many Elton John collections over the years, even more so in Europe than here in the US. The release of "Greatest Hits 1970-2002" (34 tracks, 157 min.) is intended to be the truly definitive "greatest hits" collection. Did they get it right this time?
Given the time limitation of a CD,...
Published on July 10 2004 by Paul Allaer

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite the complete greatest hits you would want
Another greatest hits compilation from Elton John, After Greatest Hits, Volume II, Volume III, The Very Best of (Import),1976-1986, Love Songs and One Night Only (The Greatest Hits)-the horrible live album, here comes Greatest Hits 1970-2002. Granted Sir Elton has had a long career filled with ups and downs with a lot of wonderful songs, so let's hear a few other hits...
Published on Nov. 12 2002 by Robert Hrycay

‹ Previous | 1 2 315 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars One Of The Greatest Artist Of All Time Gets Great Collection, May 31 2004
This review is from: Greatest Hits 1970-2002 (Audio CD)
For 35 years, Elton Jon has been entertaining the world with his music. And for the first time ever, all of his greatest hits have been compiled for this 34 - song collection, which contains 2 discs featuring 34 of his 45 top 40 singles, plus a bonus disc.
Disc 1 contains all the big hits, starting with the classic 1970 top 10 hit "Your Song". Following are "Levon" and "Tiny Dancer", two songs that weren't released as singles but became standards for Elton over the years. Next comes the classic "Rocket Man(I Think It's Going To Be A Long, Long Time)". This single started a string of 16 consecuitve top 20 singles, all of which are included here. Had "Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting" gone into the top 10, he ould have had a run of 17 consecutive top 10 singles. Still, he had a longer run of hits than any other 1970s' entertainer, including "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" (number 2), "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me" (number 2), "The Bitch Is Back (number 4) and "Bennie And The Jets" (number 1). In 1975 alone, 3 of his singles went to nunber one.
Disc 2 begins with the number one hit "Don't Go Breaking My Heart", a duet with Kiki Dee that ruled the charts for 4 weeks in September 1976. After that, Elton hit some hungry years but bounced back in 1980 with 'Little Jeannie", which soared to number 3. Throughout the 1980s', he consistently hit the top 10 with "I Guees That's Why They Call It The Blues", "I Don't Wanna Go On With You Like That", "Nikita" and "Sad Songs (Say So Much)". His hit streak extended into the 1990s' with "The One", "Can You Feel The ove Tonight", "Circel Of Life" and "Something About The Way You Look Tonight". In 2000, he scored two more hits with 'I Want Love" and "This Train Don't Stop Here Anymore' (the hit single "Original Sin" came out too late for inclsuion).
The bonus disc is okay but not much to rave about. Almost evr big hit is here, with the exception of "Candle In The Wind 1997" (which was left off for obvious personal reasons). This is a great collection of solid 20th century music by a living legend -Elton John.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great CD for the non die hard fan, May 15 2004
----john J. Butera (WOODLAND PARK, CO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greatest Hits 1970-2002 (Audio CD)
This CD is great especially for me who has really enjoyed EJ through the many years of his incredible career but never has been fanatical about him. I have gained great admoration for EJ since buying this CD for the great depth of his work over the 4 decades his career continues to span. Since the latest American Idol I have gained more respect for his talent, why? Well, when you hear someone else sing his songs you realize just how good he is.
I highly recommend this CD so buy it you'll be glad you did. JB

3.0 out of 5 stars More a hits and misses compilation, May 12 2004
This review is from: Greatest Hits 1970-2002 (Audio CD)
While I thought the 2-CD "Very Best of Elton John" from 1990 missed quite a few gems, I feel it was a much better compilation than this effort. What we have here is also a 2-CD set, but there are many hits missing, despite their being room for them. For example, on Disc 2 they have put what I call "fillers" or songs which were minor hits like "This Train Don't Stop" or "I Want Love". On the Australian edition, they've put on his duet with Blue for " Sorry seems to be the hardest word". Once again, this space could have been better used, since this reworking was not a hit in Australia.
Where are the classics such as "Blue Eyes", "Empty Garden", "Mama Cant Buy You Love" and the true classic "Border Song". Not to be found on this CD yet all were greatest hits.
This is not a definitive compilation by any means. To date, no Elton John compilation has been. It should be noted that the UK edition of this CD contains an even different and longer track list ... and could be considered closer to the mark.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not That Great, May 10 2004
Janet L. Shei "Janet Shei" (Cliffwood, NJ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greatest Hits 1970-2002 (Audio CD)
This CD is not one of the best I've heard from Elton. The CD is kind of bland with only a few well known hits, not exactly what I would call a greatest hits CD.He, for the most part, let his fans down with this album. There was never a variance of rhythms or beats in his songs on this album.The tracks sounded as if the lyrics were just changed for each song except for the occasional upbeat song.
But the CD does have its good parts. It is definetly an excellend CD for those nights when you are driving home and just want something peaceful to listen to. But it could easily put you to sleep. Definetly a good CD while you are trying to sleep as well. This CD is just not up to the caliber we have come to expect for both Elton's CDS and greatest hits CD's. He should have mized his love songs CD with this greatest hits CD. Putting the two of them together may have made this CD purchaseable.

1.0 out of 5 stars How can we TAKE another Elton Greatest Hits CD!!!!, May 6 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Greatest Hits 1970-2002 (Audio CD)
I will keep this review simple and to the point. YUKKK!!!!. This POP MUZAC is just SO irritating. Hey Elton, how many more of your greatest hits records are you going to HOIST upon the world before you GIVE UP!!!!!. PLEASE NO MORE!!!!. Keep it it in the CLOSET were it belongs!!!!!!.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best CD I Own!, April 23 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Greatest Hits 1970-2002 (Audio CD)
This is the very best CD I have ever purchased. I'm in college, so people are always amazed I know every single Elton song by heart. It's because I listen to this CD over and over again and cannot ever get sick of it. I love how it goes from beginning to current songs. It's great to hear his voice grow and improve with every song. I have the bonus CD that came with 4 extra songs, and his duet with George Michael on Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me is the very best duet I have ever heard, EVER! The ONLY thing wrong with this CD is they put on here the song Little Jeanie and left out Recover Your Soul. Other than that, this CD will be the best purchase you could ever make if your a huge Elton fan like I am! I just saw Elton John and Billy Joel perform together in concert last year, and all they need to do now is put out a CD of singing their songs together like they sang in concert, and life would be perfect!

5.0 out of 5 stars Elton Really Hit it Big, April 21 2004
This review is from: Greatest Hits 1970-2002 (Audio CD)
Wow, this album really hit the nail on the head. Each song gets better and better as the CD progresses. This is what gets me through each day in my life. Thanks Elton.. you are my inspiration.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, but nowhere near complete, April 8 2004
Brian Campbell (Chicago, Illinois) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greatest Hits 1970-2002 (Audio CD)
Let's be realistic here, even in this case. While this is so far the best attempt made, I do not believe that Sir Elton is one of those artists that you will ever be able to put together a complete greatest package of. All songs here are outstanding of course, but there are so many omissions because he produced that much wonderful material.
All songs here sound wonderful (great mastering job). But I still believe that you (like myself) will still want (or need) several other Elton albums & collections. Because of this, I now find the Greatest Hits Volumes 1 & 2 to be primarily unnecessary to have. However, you may still want to own the 1976 - 1986 collection. I for one can't live without Mama Can't Buy You Love. You may also want to still have Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (check out the new spiffy Deluxe Edition).
If you're also into his late 80's to mid 90's work I still suggest owning Reg Strikes Back (the first half is outstanding), Sleeping With the Past, The One & Made in England.
This is now a great place to begin your Elton collection, but do not end it here. It will whet you appetite to get more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite 5 stars, April 5 2004
This review is from: Greatest Hits 1970-2002 (Audio CD)
Its strange. I ordered this CD becuz I already heard it and thought that it was a great compilation of EJ's work. Upon recieving said item I was confused and more than a little disturbed seeing that "Blessed" is not included on the CD even though it is clearly listed and I've heard it on this compilation before.
Very strange...was it pulled from the disc for some reason? I don't know. But that is one of the songs that I was ordering for and now I haven't got it. That just 'aint cool.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice, March 15 2004
This review is from: Greatest Hits 1970-2002 (Audio CD)
Good job mr. John, feed off us money-spending pigs.

‹ Previous | 1 2 315 | Next ›

Greatest Hits 1970-2002
Greatest Hits 1970-2002 by Elton John (Audio CD - 2002)