5.0 out of 5 stars Must have, March 11 2014
Keivan Torabi "k1torabi" (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 1979 Tokyo Tapes Live (Audio CD)
Some of the song, especially the Japanese old song is amazing...I became a Scorpions fan 20 years ago, and still enjoy listening to their songs from 40 years ago, or 4 months ago...amazzzzing band!

5.0 out of 5 stars good, May 6 2013
This review is from: 1979 Tokyo Tapes Live (Audio CD)
je suis vraiment content de mon achat , je lecoute a tout les jours depuis que je lai reçu , merci

5.0 out of 5 stars This was my first 8-track I ever bought...still rocks!, March 17 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: 1979 Tokyo Tapes Live (Audio CD)
How could I possibly top the other reviewer's comments? This is the album I rocked to when I was a kid taking Dad's car out with my buddies. We'd slap the 8-track recording I had of this and feel just like Beavis and Butthead would've felt. Uli Roth is hands down one of the most phenomenal guitar visionaries I've ever heard. When I was in the military I had a great friend who grew up in the neighborhood in Germany where the Scorpions lived. He was a bit younger than they but just at the timing of their departure into the stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars classic scorps, April 19 2011
c-mo (sask,canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 1979 Tokyo Tapes Live (Audio CD)
most people think of the scorps as a cheesy ballad making machine,and they are correct except for pre 1984 releases,the scorps were actually heavy in the late 70`s.to me this is the best scorps cd,if all you`ve heard from the scorps is from love at first sting on, then you have missed out on the best that these german rockers have to offer.tokyo tapes takes the best of early scorps and brings the songs to life,like kiss alive 1 did for kiss.the dbl live tokyo tapes is a very good live album,with good songs and good performance musically.to me this is one of the best live albums ever.

4.0 out of 5 stars Un vrai bon live, March 26 2009
This review is from: 1979 Tokyo Tapes Live (Audio CD)
A l'epoque acheté en vinyl,cet enregistrement est enfin disponible de ce fameux concert a Tokyo.Je recommende cet album pour ceux qui veulent redecouvrir Scorpions a l'etat pur avant le succes commerciale du groupe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Uli's farewell, March 22 2006
This review is from: 1979 Tokyo Tapes Live (Audio CD)
I guess he really had done all he could do with the band...Props to him staying true to his calling and going on his own after this. Only knock on this album was the omission of "longing for fire" my personal fav. Must have if you want to hear how metal was ment to be played.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lacking Nothing, Dec 22 2003
"jaguarbsd" (San Antonio, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 1979 Tokyo Tapes Live (Audio CD)
Funny, but my CD copy of Tokya Tapes does include "Polar Nights". Echoing the sentiment of the other reviewers, the departure of Uli Jon Roth did indeed, in my mind at least, make the Scorpions a more commercial pop band.
"Kojo No Tsuki", while somewhat out of genre, provides me an opportunity to wow Japanese folks I meet - how many Americans can sing a traditional Japanese folk song in a Karaoke bar?
The guitar work by Uli Jon Roth on this album is unparalleled -- I could play "We'll Burn The Sky" over and over just to enjoy the virtuosity Roth displays. For what it's worth, this was the very first Scorpions recording I ever heard, and to this day, it remains my absolute favorite. Skip the "Breakout" and later recordings, touch base with "Tokyo Tapes" and earlier Scorps recordings. You'll not be sorry.

4.0 out of 5 stars The last and the best of the "old" Scorpions, Nov. 10 2003
This review is from: 1979 Tokyo Tapes Live (Audio CD)
This is the last album to feature the fantastic Uli Jon Roth on lead guitar. All their classics are here except for Catch Your Train, Sails of Charon and Polar Nights which was transferred to the CD-version of In Trance.
Roth, serious as always about his music and lyrics, left the band after this album because the other members intended to change directions and become a more straight-forward-no-message-included rock act. So if you're the "Roth" kind of person when it comes down to hard rock this is probably the best Scorpions CD on the market. Good sound quality and enthusiastic playing. A pity they didn't leave out the rock 'n' roll medley so Polar Nights could 've been included. And for those who aren't german out there: don't worry about Klaus Meine's english pronunciation on this earlier recording, it's not worse than it is today , haha !

4.0 out of 5 stars SCORPIONS - Tokyo Tapes, Aug. 6 2003
"gregi6" (Lake Forest, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 1979 Tokyo Tapes Live (Audio CD)
CAUTION: This recording does NOT contain the guitar anthem "Polar Nights" featuring, the one and only, Uli Roth.
I was so excited to purchase this CD that I did not notice this criminal act. Polar Nights was, by far, the best "original" track on the album. The song can NOW be found on "In Trance".
MOST of the featured songs are, none the less, still worth your time and $. A definite must for any guitarist or metal-head!

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid album held back by two dead spots, July 31 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: 1979 Tokyo Tapes Live (Audio CD)
A good but not great live performance - 3 1/2 stars would actually be the most accurate rating. Two pointless and ear-grating Elvis fillers and a sappy Japanese folk song are the weak points, but overall excellent guitar playing and decent song selection. Recommended if you want to hear Scorps before they sold out with Lovedrive and all their other typically commercial albums from the '80's. Check out UFO's STRANGERS IN THE NIGHT for hard rock's ultimate live album.

1979 Tokyo Tapes Live
1979 Tokyo Tapes Live by Scorpions (Audio CD - 2002)
Click for more info