5.0 out of 5 stars Poor, poor souls...
Published on June 4 2004 by hawa_l

3.0 out of 5 stars Worldwide Underground
Erykah did a great job on this album. Very different sounds. My only problem is that there weren't enough songs! I don't think this is her best album, but it is really good. I like the first two much better. But she still does her thing.
Published on May 12 2004 by Traci S.

1.0 out of 5 stars TRYIN' TOO HARD!!!, July 11 2004
This review is from: Worldwide Underground (Audio CD)
SOMETIMES WE TRY TO HARD TO BE DIFFERENT.... IT'S O.K. TO BE DIFFERENT.BUT DON'T TRY TO BE SO DEEP THAT YOU GET LOST.!!! I'M COOL ON HER NEW EFFORTS.... THIS SHORT A** CD SHOULD'VE BEEN BURIED "UNDERGROUND".... IF YOU NEED AN ERYKAH FIX, GET HER FIRST CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Poor, poor souls..., June 4 2004
"hawa_l" (Lancaster, Pa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Worldwide Underground (Audio CD)
If you know anything about soul music, you would know that it is about growth, understanding and learning and this cd exemplifies all of the above. If you are a fan of Ms. Badu, then you could see the progression from her first album to this one and be able to apreciate the new alternative stlye. As another fan said, she is not a slave to pop culture and top 40 hits(which is a shame because as many people as possible should be introduced to her new style). In my eyes her personal journey is as clear as day and as a young black woman, I can only hope to come as far as she in her personal journey towards understanding life. This album, on my list, is #1 of all time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificently Supreme!, June 3 2004
J. Sealee (Bronx, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Worldwide Underground (Audio CD)
I first heard this CD at a friend's house one afternoon and RAN out to buy it that very same day. This is hands down my favorite CD this year. It's not often I find an album I can listen to over and over again from beginning to end. EVERY SINGLE TRACK IS HOT!
The intro draws you in with it's silky sexiness and comes to a crescendo after which Miss Erykah invites you to "Bump It" (which I advise you to do....this CD is meant to be played luxuriously loud). You then take a trip to "Back in the Day" where you are instantly seduced by a track that makes you feel like you're at a basement house party groovin' and puffin' to a Patrice "Rushinesque" rhythym. Just when you think it can't get any better, she takes you into a 10 minute rhythmically sensual journey on "I Want You". I particularly like the drum line on this...reminiscent of the Womack & Womack club hit "Baby I'm Scared of You". Very sexy. After you've climaxed you bask in the afterglow with "Woo", a fun piece that was developed after she improv'd it onstage at a concert. Next, she gets conscious with Dead Prez on "the Grind"...a funky inner-city message piece. She keeps it grimey with "Danger"...a fabulously funky track that demands to be played at full bass. She gets smoother with "Think Twice" and there is a SUPERB appearance by Roy Hargrove on this track. Next, she takes you back to the party with "Love of My Life Worldwide" with a wonderful cast of guest vocals including Queen Latifah, fellow neo-soulite Angie Stone, and Mohammadia. She then gradually fades you out of her world with the same sexy outro that she brought you in with. Truly full circle. If you are a soul flower like me...a child of the 70's & 80's you will LOVE this CD. This is GOOD MUSIC and stands out in a sea of mediocrity. Thank you Erykah for staying true to your soul roots!

5.0 out of 5 stars And awesome powerful young black woman performer real soul, June 3 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Worldwide Underground (Audio CD)
When I first got erykah's latest album I was soooo impressed. Its too bad the radio wont allow her whole album, or at least more songs too be released. I guess she's too real and true to her people for record company's to allow that. All I can say is she has real talent. Every album she has shows a different part of here personality. You get to peek into here thoughts and ideas a bit. She does'nt write about the same ol things over and over again. I really think she has her own style. She's not trying to be some 70's look alike. She is just being herself. I love her music. What can I say she's a genius. You go Erykah Badu. Alica keys, Beyounce, And India Arie could never have her style class or talent. She is a one of a kind. Peace.

1.0 out of 5 stars ****YAWN****, May 31 2004
This review is from: Worldwide Underground (Audio CD)
I bought this cd the day it was released. I have tried time and time again to listen to it, wishing that there was even one song that wasnt rubbish. As a Motown fan of old and new I am slightly pistofff that the label even released this. Its no WHATS GOIN ON... its no COLORED SECTION. its worse than Diana extended. I would give it away,but my mates dont want it either.
DONT GET SUCKED IN
DONT BUY IT

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointed buyer, May 18 2004
This review is from: Worldwide Underground (Audio CD)
When Erykah said she was having a bad case of writer's block while doing this album, she wasn't kidding. Every song was like an intro that lasted 3-4 minutes. There were hardly any verses, just hooks, every track sounds like the previous, like the whole cd is just one long song. I feel so ripped off, like Erykah wanted to make a quick fifteen bucks off me for an empty cd case.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am a BADU fan!!!, May 15 2004
Nathaniel Primus "motorcycle junkie" (Jacksonville, FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Worldwide Underground (Audio CD)
Listen...anyone who doesn't appreciate Badu has quite obviously been poisoned by this era of Top 40 radio that we're so unfortunately exposed to now.
Badu does not care about stinkin' airplay! Badu cares about music that moves your SOUL!!! Ladies and gentlemen...she definitely does it with this compilation. Its one of my favorite!

3.0 out of 5 stars Worldwide Underground, May 12 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not Great (3.5 stars), May 2 2004
Michael Jones (Charlotte, NC USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Worldwide Underground (Audio CD)
Okay, no doubt this review will either 1)get ignored or 2)get a bunch of "I did not find this review helpful" votes. But, whatever.
I'll say up front, I am a fan of Erykah Badu. I own everything she's ever released. In fact, I bought "Worldwide Underground" as soon as it dropped without having heard a note on it.
I'm sad to say, though, that I was a little disappointed.
Yes, I GET that it's transitional. And I GET that she was trying to experiment, which is admirable. And I GET that she wanted to expand the parameters of Neo-Soul, both in terms of sonic textures and running times ("I Need You" and "Bump It" clock-in at around 10 minutes each.) And in some ways, it reminds me a bit of albums like Isaac Hayes' "Hot Buttered Soul," where there's only a handful of tracks and the grooves unfold sometimes over the course of fifteen-twenty minutes. But this EP (it's only 10 songs deep) struggles because of lack of focus.
Don't get me wrong, there are some great ideas and moments on here. The last couple of minutes of "Bump It" where Badu vocalizes with Karon Wheeler and Zap Mama are mesmerizing. And "Back in the Day (Puff)" was one of the best songs of 2003, hands-down--it hits you from the beginning with a tight beat, catchy hook, and clever vocals. It's signature Erykah Badu. Plus, the new version of "Love of My Life" where she freaks "Funk You Right On Up" by the Sequence (with Angie Stone, a.k.a. Angie B, on vocals) is flawless. "Think Twice" is also so soulful that it hurts; its just a bit too truncated.
But then it all kind of falls apart with the grab bag of tracks on the rest of the album, which vary between playing it super safe ("The Grind" and "Danger") and experimenting to the point of being aimless. The latter is true on "I Need You," where a monotonous, one-note-played-over-a-heartbeat intro lasts almost two minutes before the groove even gets going, and then it never REALLY gets going. Around the 8-minute mark, it dissolves into a distorted jam session, which just about the time you think will segue into a Funkadelic-type chunk o' funk, it fades out into (yet another) rehashing of "Sometimes" off "Baduizm." ("Woo" probably is hot when she does it live, but here it falls flat.) And speaking of "Baduizm," "Danger" is the other side of the other side of "The Other Side of The Game." (If Neo-Soul is dead, like the cover art indicates, no use beating it to death...)
Anyway, the warning is: don't expect a full-fledged album. This is more a loose mix of unfinished thoughts, clever ideas, and developing genius. It's worth buying simply for "Back in the Day," if nothing else.

4.0 out of 5 stars Erykah was having fun making this one...., April 27 2004
This review is from: Worldwide Underground (Audio CD)
AND SHE IS ENTITILED TO THAT. ... I HAVE ALWAYS ENJOYED HER SOULFUL VOCALS AND ON THIS CD I AM REALLY DIGGING THE ECCENTRIC BENT HEARD THROUGH EACH TUNE. IT IS EARTHY REALLY, SENSUAL, AND EARGASISM TO SAY THE LEAST. THIS ARTIST AND LATEST CD IS WHY I CONTINUE TO LOVE LOVE, MUSIC..

ARRAY(0xa5e0496c)

Worldwide Underground
Worldwide Underground by Erykah Badu (Audio CD - 2003)